Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
0 is one of the best games in the series, and Kiwami is limited by being a remake of the first game when they were working everything out. The stuff they added to Kiwami is generally high quality, though.

I've platted 0 though 6 and even the ones I've enjoyed the least are still good, solid games at the least, and Y6 is a culmination of Kiryu's character arc that is still profoundly affecting when I think about it today.

Going through 5, I love how this engine allowed for better facial expressions and tics. There's a lot of subtle emotion displayed that wasn't there on previous titles. It's part of why I like it so much, adds a lot to the characterization which 5 excels at despite its meh overall plot.

My totally objective and correct ranking (again, I recommend the whole series):
4 < K2 < K1 < 3 < 5 < 0 = 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i get why people (wrongly) dont like k2, but why 3 over 4? i liked 4 a lot more than 3 in both combat mechanics and plot. was it because i already knew about the ridiculous saejima retcon?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
3 added a lot of solid character development for Kiryu, and I enjoyed every second of it. It's an essential part of Kiryu's journey.

I'll be honest, I don't mind rubber bullets too much. It helps that it was called out immediately in game, and it wasn't used to diminish what Saejima did. Series has some dumb rear end plot twists, news at 11. I don't like 4 because Kiryu regresses in it and I hate Akiyama. Saejima is a good add but he won't sing karaoke at this point. Tanimura was pretty good overall, though.

I guess I just see the series through the lens of Kiryu's journey. 0, 1, 3, 5 and 6 emphasize and develop him. What does he learn in 2 or 4? How does he grow? You could skip those two and not miss much of the overall narrative. Obviously gameplay wise 4 is better than 3, and K2 is better than most of the series, but that's not what draws me to spend hours in Kamurocho.

TLDR I loved playing with those kids.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think I enjoy 3 over 4 as well. 4 only taking place in Kamurocho is kind of a bummer when all the other games have at least one other city. The plot is also super convoluted and ridiculous even by Yakuza standards. I like the new characters it introduces, but yeah, 3 felt more essential to the overall series.

5 is probably better than both, at least in terms of sheer content, but that will come down to personal taste.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Interesting. I did really like the okinawa parts of 3, but everything with Mine never really connected.

That being said, I wonder if playing 0,k1,k2 then 6, then 3-5, made me appreciate kiryu's story less than people who went 1-5,0,k1,6,k2

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

3 was fun because I liked Kiryu with the orphans a TON, and while now I can't even remember the guy's name, the dude who followed you around shouting ANIKI while wearing his own ridiculous hawaiian shirt was awesome

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FairGame posted:

3 was fun because I liked Kiryu with the orphans a TON, and while now I can't even remember the guy's name, the dude who followed you around shouting ANIKI while wearing his own ridiculous hawaiian shirt was awesome

How can you forget RIKIYA

And yes those shirts rule and the second I get to premium adventure in every game kiryu is immediately switched back to Okinawan mode

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

mastershakeman posted:

How can you forget RIKIYA

And yes those shirts rule and the second I get to premium adventure in every game kiryu is immediately switched back to Okinawan mode

:same:

Yakuza 6 has rad summer fashion as well. The contrast of the dark red shirt and light gray pants is ace.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

People always used to say the Yakuza games shared a lot of DNA with Shenmue but IMO they feel more like the modern version of the Downtown Nekketsu/River City Ransom games. Kiryu-chan is the modern Kunio-kun, right down to mastering every sport. Change my mind.

(Just some thoughts that came to me while spending time with the Double Dragon/Kunio-kun collection.)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like starting with 0 is the way to go!

I'm looking forward to playing them, I've heard about them for years and they've always sounded pretty amazing to me.

My advice is, as everyone said, play Y0 first, to your hearts content, and explore the side stuff as much as possible. It's probably the best Yakuza game in the old engine.

Then play YK1, but beeline the story a bit more - the side stuff isn't nearly as good (aside from a few standout stories) as a lot of it just feels copy-pasted from Y0, and the combat feels like a step back from Y0. Mostly play it just to get the story context.

Then play YK2 and spend time exploring - it's mostly new and it's in the new engine, so it feels very fresh, and it's one of the best games in the series.

Akuma posted:

People always used to say the Yakuza games shared a lot of DNA with Shenmue but IMO they feel more like the modern version of the Downtown Nekketsu/River City Ransom games. Kiryu-chan is the modern Kunio-kun, right down to mastering every sport. Change my mind.

(Just some thoughts that came to me while spending time with the Double Dragon/Kunio-kun collection.)

Yeah it's kinda both - they pretty much took the ideas from Shenmue and said "now how do we make this actually fun?" and the answer was 1000% more fighting. RCR DNA is for sure there. It's both the best modern evolution of Shenmue and the classic beat 'em up.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 6, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Holy poo poo you get beads of good fortune in kiryus very first substory in y5

Does this apply to the other guys?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mastershakeman posted:

Holy poo poo you get beads of good fortune in kiryus very first substory in y5

Does this apply to the other guys?

Certainly not Saejima, and I lost Kiryus pair...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Akuma posted:

It’s more Dynamite Deka in my opinion. QTE’s, crazy action, picking poo poo up off the floor and chucking it at people, skyscrapers...(well, at least the one)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Akuma posted:

ok but Nagoshi literally was the supervisor for Shenmue which is why people make the comparison

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not to mention both being Sega franchises.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Approaching 70 hours in Lost Paradise and I finally found more than five loving music tapes.

Really wish I knew the treasure maps were all unique like...a playthrough and a half ago.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Interesting. I did really like the okinawa parts of 3, but everything with Mine never really connected.

That being said, I wonder if playing 0,k1,k2 then 6, then 3-5, made me appreciate kiryu's story less than people who went 1-5,0,k1,6,k2

I played them... 0, k1, 6, k2, 3-5, I think? And while I'm still working my way through 5, my big takeaway so far, in terms of how my play order might have led to me having a different opinion than most people, is that I don't really care much for Sayama. I liked her fine at first, when she was basically an antagonistic mirror of Date -- an angry young cop with a bad attitude who hated Yakuza but was forced to work with one anyway. All that stuff was great! But somewhere along the line, they lost me. I think it might have happened around the time of the "Oh, by the way, I'm also an Expert Computer Hacker" stuff. I definitely rolled my eyes at that. Anyway, by the end, the things I'd initially liked about her definitely felt like they'd been stripped away in service of that ending, which really should have been focused much more on the two dragons. Sayama had gone from being an interesting twist on the story to being in the way of the story. Of course, that's just my experience with the game, and it seems like most folks have a much more positive view of her. It makes me wonder if it came from playing 6 first and seeing where Kiryu ends up, then going back to K2 later.

The Okinawa sections in 3 redeem a relatively weak (by Yakuza standards) game overall. The orphanage stuff was super slow-paced, but all that buildup just made the big payoff that much more impactful. But in the end, you don't even fight any of the main bosses atop the Millennium Tower. They must have let some intern write the ending. At least 4 makes up for it.

Speaking of, I have a deep appreciation for the Saejima stuff in 4, especially with the hindsight of his chapter in 5. All the fish out of water stuff with him remembering what the city was like 25 years ago really hit the mark. And the scene in Purgatory really drives home the point that it doesn't matter what actually happened back then. What matters is what he experienced at the time, and what he's lived with for all those years.

Overall, from a strictly gameplay perspective, I think 6 and K2 just flow so smoothly from one thing to the next. It's really impressive. And 6 has some incredible minigames. The baseball is fantastic, the chat room is hilariously dumb, and it has probably the only fishing minigame I've ever enjoyed in any game ever. K2 wasn't quite on the same level minigame-wise, but it deserves credit for managing to outdo 0's cabaret club stuff, simply by virtue of writing such a quality story for it. It was still jarring to have Kiryu as manager rather than Majima, though. Majima Classic just made such a perfect fit as manager.

From a story perspective, every game has had something to offer, but 0 really stands out. I think you could make a pretty good case that 0 has the single best video game story ever. It's all built around a simply amazing collection of memorable villains and antagonists. And even among them, Sagawa will always stand out for me. That scene with the baseball bat where he tells Majima the story about the injured sparrow pretty much sums up Sagawa and his relationship to Majima perfectly. And it's also animated beautifully, right down to the way Sagawa adjusts his grip on the handle as he prepares to swing. It's a whole scene of just little character stuff that doesn't really move the plot at all. There's no big reveal or general Yakuza craziness. It's just a really, really good scene. I think it's my favorite in the whole series.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Sagawa's good, and I liked the Makoto/Tachibana plot with all of its twistiness, but I really felt like Majima and Kiryu's final boss fights were a bit of an anticlimax. The fights and the cutscenes themselves were fantastic, but Lao Gui and Shibusawa weren't cool enough to be final bosses IMO. They tried to juice Shib up with that "I'm the REAL Dragon of Dojima" nonsense, but it wasn't enough. I don't know what would have been better, but it would have been nice if Kiryu and Majima didn't just miss each other at the end. I was trying to think if there's a reason they keep them apart for the whole game, but they just do their first meeting post credits anyway, right? A co-op fight at the end where you pick Kiryu or Majima and fight all three of the lieutenants would be pretty sick. Or Kiryu could fight the lieutenants and Majima could fight Shimano or something.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Pimping this yet again since it's a badass scene with excellent music, but also it shows how tough and defiant Kiryu is, and how he learns good stuff from Kuze. The music beat at the moment of impact is ace. Easily one of my favorite moments in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7R_xQUiZvg

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Sagawa's good, and I liked the Makoto/Tachibana plot with all of its twistiness, but I really felt like Majima and Kiryu's final boss fights were a bit of an anticlimax. The fights and the cutscenes themselves were fantastic, but Lao Gui and Shibusawa weren't cool enough to be final bosses IMO. They tried to juice Shib up with that "I'm the REAL Dragon of Dojima" nonsense, but it wasn't enough. I don't know what would have been better, but it would have been nice if Kiryu and Majima didn't just miss each other at the end. I was trying to think if there's a reason they keep them apart for the whole game, but they just do their first meeting post credits anyway, right? A co-op fight at the end where you pick Kiryu or Majima and fight all three of the lieutenants would be pretty sick. Or Kiryu could fight the lieutenants and Majima could fight Shimano or something.

majima and kiryu were working at the same problem from two sides. if they had met, they would have bonded and teamed up. they might have fought first, but that's obviously not a deal-breaker for either party :wiggle:. the two of them had to remain mostly strangers for 1/k1.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
For what it's worth I haven't gotten to Haruka yet; I'm still in 2010 Kamurocho as pre-haircut Saejima.

Gunrhein is a way better shmup than Boxcelios, imo, if only because the tension of protecting the Planetary Defense Grid feels less artificial than "if your time bonus hits 0 you lose". It's especially fun because my winning strategy revolved around letting most of my shield get destroyed. Protecting one hex is way easier than protecting 36! :downs:

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Randallteal posted:

I can see where you're coming from. In terms of the final bosses, Shibusawa was definitely a letdown. Not that the fight wasn't cool or anything, but they didn't really do anything to foreshadow the Dragon stuff. The last Kuze fight felt much more final, in a way. It brought the whole thing full circle.

Lao Gui, on the other hand, felt like an okay finale for Majima. I can't really see any other way the story could have panned out than Majima gunning for revenge against Dojima, but he would have made a terrible boss fight. Using the assassin who gunned down Makoto as a stand-in for him in the final battle worked pretty well, I think.

One thing I regret is there are a bunch of characters for whom we never get to see tattoos. Maybe someday we'll get another prequel and get a look at a few of them.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
They should make a Yakuza 0-2 set post-crash where making bad investments and losing Kiryu's real estate fortune by the billion powers him up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kiryu vomits up the billions of yen he forced into himself in 0, which is why he starts off the game with no upgrades

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yakuza 5 is incredible, just ridiculous string pulling to put people in certain places, and I can’t wait to see where it goes.

Saejima: is there a trick to the “kill three deer with four bullets” mission? I shoot one, and the others peace out before I can get off another shot.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FairGame posted:

Yakuza 5 is incredible, just ridiculous string pulling to put people in certain places, and I can’t wait to see where it goes.

Saejima: is there a trick to the “kill three deer with four bullets” mission? I shoot one, and the others peace out before I can get off another shot.

If you shoot them the second their heads become visible they don't spook, it looks like you can get them before the game actually loads the rest of the deer or something so there's no reaction.

I say 'the second' but there is a little bit of a window, so you don't really need to rush as long as you're getting clean headshots in as soon as you can see the head.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah they spawn one at a time, just have to shoot the first two as they spawn and its not bad.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh my god I just started the third POV of Y5 and this is incredible.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

FairGame posted:

just started the fifth and its also incredible. 5 is good folks

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

Haha I've been looking forward to you getting to this point :dance:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

mrnoun posted:

From a story perspective, every game has had something to offer, but 0 really stands out. I think you could make a pretty good case that 0 has the single best video game story ever. It's all built around a simply amazing collection of memorable villains and antagonists. And even among them, Sagawa will always stand out for me. That scene with the baseball bat where he tells Majima the story about the injured sparrow pretty much sums up Sagawa and his relationship to Majima perfectly. And it's also animated beautifully, right down to the way Sagawa adjusts his grip on the handle as he prepares to swing. It's a whole scene of just little character stuff that doesn't really move the plot at all. There's no big reveal or general Yakuza craziness. It's just a really, really good scene. I think it's my favorite in the whole series.

5 so far feels like the foundation for this, theres a lot of nice scenes that serve more to establish character over plot. the whole first chapter of shinadas part is just, "here's what this dude is like, man his life sucks huh" and I'm extremely here for it so far

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Y5 rectifies Y4’s biggest error of giving you Kiryu control right at the beginning instead of the end. But Kiryu in 4 gets powerful so quickly, which I love so much

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I’m so amazing fans are giving me club sandwiches what is happening

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
takasugi the loan shark is a real good fuckin character

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Playing through the series, it was neat seeing old heat actions that made their way to future games. Like how Shinada's wall heat action slamming people's head against the wall is the one Majima uses in Thug Style.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

RareAcumen posted:

Playing through the series, it was neat seeing old heat actions that made their way to future games. Like how Shinada's wall heat action slamming people's head against the wall is the one Majima uses in Thug Style.

Other way around, no? Yakuza 0 was released after Y5 wasn't it?

I think all of us are just experiencing a bunch of recycled assets in 0, but 0 is just so drat good and polished that it feels new.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FairGame posted:

I think all of us are just experiencing a bunch of recycled assets in 0, but 0 is just so drat good and polished that it feels new.

As far as Wikipedia works as a source, 5 came out in 2012 while 0 was 2015.

I know that a huge part of the game's success is that they keep the games in roughly the same location and all. I just think it's neat to see a move now and be like 'Oh, so that one came from Yakuza 4. Neat.'

derra
Dec 29, 2012
In 5 Remastered's driving range, the wind seems to affect the ball more than the original PS3 version. Have to adjust from old guides.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dewgy posted:

It’s more Dynamite Deka in my opinion. QTE’s, crazy action, picking poo poo up off the floor and chucking it at people, skyscrapers...(well, at least the one)
On the one hand, maybe. On the other,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FairGame posted:

Yeah so "they used the old (yak 5) heat animation in the new game (yak 0)" is a completely accurate observation.

Prequels loving with chronological statements is a totally understandable pitfall though.