Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

Really, I'd wager the average goon has living memory of analog antenna television and VHS cassettes, I don't get this recent animosity for DVD.
My care is that DVDs are 23-year old technology with max resolutions of 720x480. That's perfectly fine and overkill for my mom's old 32" Panasonic CRT, but we're at a point where that on a modern TV comes out looking fuzzy.

Yeah, they're a huge leap over VHS as it's a non-degrading playback medium, but we have media that can take advantage of higher bitrates and content that was sometimes mastered/recorded in a way that can take advantage of that anyway, so settling for something 20 years old because it's cheaper or easier is kind of lame.

It also gets my goat because, for something like Gravity Falls that I wanted to show support for, you're loving hosing me with an inferior image than the one I get watching/streaming it.

To be fair, I also hate lazy rear end remasters. Like the Buffy Widescreen and Regraded fuckup, or how Simpsons was changed to widescreen and cropped the image as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FilthyImp posted:

My care is that DVDs are 23-year old technology with max resolutions of 720x480. That's perfectly fine and overkill for my mom's old 32" Panasonic CRT, but we're at a point where that on a modern TV comes out looking fuzzy.

Yeah, they're a huge leap over VHS as it's a non-degrading playback medium, but we have media that can take advantage of higher bitrates and content that was sometimes mastered/recorded in a way that can take advantage of that anyway, so settling for something 20 years old because it's cheaper or easier is kind of lame.

It also gets my goat because, for something like Gravity Falls that I wanted to show support for, you're loving hosing me with an inferior image than the one I get watching/streaming it.

To be fair, I also hate lazy rear end remasters. Like the Buffy Widescreen and Regraded fuckup, or how Simpsons was changed to widescreen and cropped the image as a result.

There's a Gravity Falls complete series blu-ray set.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dorium posted:

never heard of this before, but now i must know more.

Unfortunately everything I’ve grabbed is behind private doors, but I know the magic source is an upscaler called waifu2x (it came from anime, so we’ll just have to deal with the name) and here’s a brief A/B clip someone added to YouTube. Don’t think this is the person who did every episode, so might not be the best example but even on my phone I can see a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HruNogUyGss

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

DVDs are 23-year old technology

(throwing up a little) gently caress you

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unfortunately everything I’ve grabbed is behind private doors, but I know the magic source is an upscaler called waifu2x (it came from anime, so we’ll just have to deal with the name) and here’s a brief A/B clip someone added to YouTube. Don’t think this is the person who did every episode, so might not be the best example but even on my phone I can see a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HruNogUyGss

hot drat. i need to not look for these... not at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where’s my loving Invader Zim Blu rays Nickelodeon, you fuckos

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CelticPredator posted:

Where’s my loving Invader Zim Blu rays Nickelodeon, you fuckos
Maaaan, they'd have to redo all the CG in HD, wouldn't they? If that's the case, it's definitely never. :smith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brexit the Frog posted:

(throwing up a little) gently caress you

ugggggggh, this put things in perspective for me

I guess poor old DVD is getting pretty long in the tooth, ain't it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Quality upscaling isn't a bad thing, either. At the very least, you're getting an SD image with vastly better compression than a DVD and lossless/uncompressed sound. Not to mention that it's possible to encode PAL video within 1080i/60Hz with the original frame rate intact without blurriness.

I do think that streaming is making a lot of aspects of DVD redundant, which is why I think a lot of shows simply aren't getting Blu-rays. However, the Warner Archive team have said on their podcast that they've been surprised how well their Blu-rays of TV shows sell (like Longmire, the DC shows, etc) despite being easily available on streaming.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

ugggggggh, this put things in perspective for me

I guess poor old DVD is getting pretty long in the tooth, ain't it?

VHS had a ~30 year run, so DVD may stick around a few more years.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
It's so funny how people like to own things instead of pay for limited and terminable license to them.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
To think, DVDs have now been around longer than the amount of time VHS was around before DVDs were introduced. They still have 6 more years to go to beat out VHS's longevity, though.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I hope they never stop releasing in 1080p blu-ray

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

caligulamprey posted:

Maaaan, they'd have to redo all the CG in HD, wouldn't they? If that's the case, it's definitely never. :smith:

the CG actually upscales really nicely because of how it's shaded and outlined

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the CG actually upscales really nicely because of how it's shaded and outlined
Best I could find was this example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgX2cu9N6_8

And as for DVD, this is the quality I think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbTiCdknEio

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve played my Zim dvds on my Blu Ray player and they look a lil better than they did.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve played my Zim dvds on my Blu Ray player and they look a lil better than they did.

Blu-ray players upconvert DVDs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think this is the first time I’ve had a digital code I couldn’t redeem because my preorder was too early. Again: digital can eat me sometimes!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I know. Upcoverting still looks good, is what I was saying.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

March pickups so far

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hausu is a stellar pickup. My wife and I were caught totally off guard when we watched it a few Halloweens ago.

Also how in the flying technicolor gently caress is Willy Wonka not in 4k yet?!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CPL593H posted:

:eng101: upscale

Animation in particular tends to do well when upscaled. A lot of solid lines whose edges are straightforwardly smoothed out.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Guys what's a good option for looney tunes? I don't think it's streaming anywhere and I'm trying to track down some classic stuff (preferably on Blu ray).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looney Tunes Platinum Collection?

You can snag all 3 volumes on Blu for like $80 on amazon. No digital codes that I know of so that kind of sucks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys what's a good option for looney tunes? I don't think it's streaming anywhere and I'm trying to track down some classic stuff (preferably on Blu ray).

There's unfortunately only four collections to get at this time:

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1 (50 cartoons)
Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 2 (50 cartoons)
Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 3 (50 cartoons)
Chuck Jones Mouse Chronicles (19 cartoons)

Full listings here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Platinum_Collection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Mouse_Chronicles:_The_Chuck_Jones_Collection

The majority of the three Platinum Collection volumes are cartoons that appeared on the six Golden Collection DVD sets released from 2003-2009, but there's some exclusives. The Mouse Chronicles release has more exclusives (the entire Sniffles series, for some odd reason).

However, there's hints that Warner Archive will be picking up where these left off since they've already released three volumes of the complete 1940s color Popeye cartoons and just released their first volume (of three or four) of Tex Avery MGM cartoons. They also released one Blu-ray set of Tom & Jerry cartoons (all the 1940-1948 MGM shorts, I think).

I have all six Golden Collections, all the Blu-ray sets, Warner Archive's Porky 101 (all 99 B&W Porky cartoons plus two color specials) and the six volumes of "Super Stars" single-disc releases with exclusives and that's still just barely over half of the entire 1930-1969 original run of cartoons.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 10, 2020

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Paramount are releasing their own boutique sub-label called Paramount Presents. First few titles are Fatal Attraction, To Catch a Thief and King Creole with plans to release new editions of Flashdance, Airplane!, and Ghost with Golden Child and Pretty in Pink getting their first Blu-Ray releases.
https://www.slashfilm.com/paramount-presents/
This is some funky packaging. I don’t know if I like it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:barf:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Good grief I feel like reporting this post because of how terrible that cover is. Can it get any more thrown together?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The only thing I can think of is that they’re avoiding paying some kind of royalty that has to do with existing art or covers. It’s the only thing that makes sense when you look at The Shining or this.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Boywhiz88 posted:

The only thing I can think of is that they’re avoiding paying some kind of royalty that has to do with existing art or covers. It’s the only thing that makes sense when you look at The Shining or this.

Never attribute malice where incompetence etc etc etc. It's more likely just some marketing person wanting to make it "less old"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

So, someone loves their microwaved GI Joes?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I, Butthole posted:

Never attribute malice where incompetence etc etc etc. It's more likely just some marketing person wanting to make it "less old"

this is far more likely than any licensing issue.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While it's nice Paramount is doing remasters and deluxe editions, To Catch a Thief would be a perfect UHD title for them between it having a 4K HDR master, being shot in VistaVision, and it's the only Hitchcock movie they own directly (technically they also own Under Capricorn through CBS buying KingWorld). And while a remastered Airplane! is good news, we need Top Secret! I know Australia is getting it, but not importing it without a review.

The Blues Brothers getting a UHD is great news since the Blu-ray is very good, but problematic due to the bizarre choice to encode the theatrical and extended cuts as entirely separate streams with lossy DTS 5.1 audio. By comparison, the Blu-ray of Touch of Evil with three significantly different cuts uses seamless branching. I do hope that the original Dolby Stereo mix is included since the only edition since laserdisc with it was the remastered flipper (theatrical cut had original 2.0 stereo, extended had the 5.1 remix).

Also, the Australian boutique [IMPRINT] confirmed their first slate of Paramount-licensed titles will be region free - this includes the 1953 War of the Worlds (from a new 4K restoration), I Married a Monster from Outer Space, Sorry Wrong Number, and Waterloo. (for what it's worth, I'd put money on these coming from Criterion or Shout! Factory within the next half year, if not from Paramount Presents)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

This is almost certainly the problem but Jesus Christ, why does it look so lovely? They don't have to trick people into buying it. The kind of dumb dumbs they hope will fall for this aren't going to buy a blu-ray in the first place and the people who do want it already know what the movie is and are going to react like everyone here is. This is just loving hideous.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

FilthyImp posted:

DVDs are 23-year old technology.

DVDSs are older now than VHS was when DVD came out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I, Butthole posted:

It's always this, I remember there was a thread a while back (maybe even this thread), all about the lovely "modernized" covers you see on 40 year old movies.

The thing is I'm not even that opposed to creating new covers for older movies, a lot of the boutique labels do it, but they usually at least not only put effort into making it look good, but also reversible, so you can at least use the classic one.

Hopefully like The Shining, there's a Steelbook with a better cover for the Blues Brothers.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Arrow's delayed the Tsukamoto and Jodorowsky boxsets, and the pricing for the Gamera set is $160US on Amazon. Oof.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

I, Butthole posted:

Arrow's delayed the Tsukamoto and Jodorowsky boxsets, and the pricing for the Gamera set is $160US on Amazon. Oof.

Gamera is like $115 on diabolikdvd I think

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s been a while, let’s criticize each other’s questionable tastes/lack of financial self-control in this dying medium.

Here’s my collection:
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=299446

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a heads up, Indicator has a flash sale coming up this Friday. A bit unexpected since the last two were in August and September. I forget the margin, but it's basically everything except the last month of releases and free international shipping if you spend at least 200 GBP.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk

They now let you create an account and signing up gives you 25 "PH Points" towards purchases, similar to Criterion. Also, they now have a section listing all the region free titles.

The difference between limited and standard editions is that the limited ones are in Criterion cases with a thick booklet (sometimes in a hard board slipcase) while standard ones are in Arrow-style cases sans booklets.

Xenomrph posted:

It’s been a while, let’s criticize each other’s questionable tastes/lack of financial self-control in this dying medium.

Here’s my collection:
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=299446

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=88794