Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/04/09/new-plans-for-unity-releases-introducing-the-tech-and-long-term-support-lts-streams/

TL;DR:

2019.4 LTS is going to be identical to 2019.3 with all the latest patches and will release around the time of 2020.1, which is still in alpha right now.

I'd recommend just switching to 2019.3 because that will "become" the LTS release in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Pigmassacre posted:

So the game I just showed off at PAX East finally released - today!

Congrats!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I added a picture-in-picture display of the player's active target. The game lets you set a target lock, and your guns will follow that instead of whatever you're currently pointing at, allowing you to focus on your driving while you shoot at something off-camera. But since it can be off-camera, I wanted the player to still be able to get some feedback on how it's doing. I'll probably want to add a healthbar here too, as well as make sure the big ship-destroyed explosions render when you sink it.

This is looking really cool with all that stuff going on at once.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

I found this thread at exactly the right time, this looks amazing! and autotargeting, the best. I hope adding a ship rolling in reaction to fireing it's guns is on the table as that adds so much weight to a battleship's broadside.

The problem is that the player takes a lot of very small hits from airplanes. Airplanes are basically there to put you on a timer -- they can reach you from anywhere on the map, and will slowly wear you down unless you can get to their bases/carriers and destroy those (airplanes have to return to base routinely to replace spent ammunition).

That jitter is screenshake from when you take damage. I tossed that in awhile back and I'm not entirely sold on it, mostly because it's going pretty much all the time during combat as you take lots of little hits. But I don't like it if there's no feedback that e.g. you're getting nibbled at by airplane machineguns either.

I don't like having a capital ship take damage from an aircraft machinegun/cannon. I'm guessing implementing bomb and torpedo attack runs is on the 'more effort then it's worth' pile, but I implore you to reconsider.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/04/09/new-plans-for-unity-releases-introducing-the-tech-and-long-term-support-lts-streams/

TL;DR:

2019.4 LTS is going to be identical to 2019.3 with all the latest patches and will release around the time of 2020.1, which is still in alpha right now.

I'd recommend just switching to 2019.3 because that will "become" the LTS release in a few months.
I see, thanks, that's helpful.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Congrats!

This is looking really cool with all that stuff going on at once.

Thank you! Yeah, the planes really add a lot to the action.

terrenblade posted:

I found this thread at exactly the right time, this looks amazing! and autotargeting, the best. I hope adding a ship rolling in reaction to fireing it's guns is on the table as that adds so much weight to a battleship's broadside.
Thank you! And gun recoil has been a frequently-requested feature. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it's in my to-do list. :v:

quote:

I don't like having a capital ship take damage from an aircraft machinegun/cannon. I'm guessing implementing bomb and torpedo attack runs is on the 'more effort then it's worth' pile, but I implore you to reconsider.

Sorry, to be clear they also have bombs and torpedoes -- depending on the plane it has differing armaments. So the Komets have machineguns because they're rocket-powered interceptors, but the P38s have bombs and the Ki67 Hiryus have torpedoes. The XF85 Goblins that I implemented mostly as a joke have a very small bomb. Anyway, the machineguns are going to deal extremely trivial amounts of damage, but not zero. Pretty much the only plane weapon that's remotely threatening is the torpedo.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 6, 2020

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

There's also the issue that I'm still on 2018.4, because it's the most recent LTS version. Is there just...not going to be a 2019 LTS? Unity's approach to QA has me extremely leery of upgrading to a version that isn't well-supported.
You're gonna want to keep upgrading Unity honestly, I'm planning on launching my game at the end of this year and I still keep upgrading rather than sitting on an LTS because the new features in 2019.3 are saving me time every single day.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

When modeling building facades, is it generally better practice to make complex geometry like windows part of the main mesh, or sculpt them separately as modular pieces and cut them into the wall with a boolean modifier? Most artists I've watched do the former, but it seems like the latter would save a boatload of time and let you mix/match a bunch of building pieces.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Traditionally, booleans are a newbie trap. They seem like a cool way to get a job done but have a reputation of doing something stupid like generating inefficient geometry or corrupting the file.

They might be okay these days, the "don't do it" rule dates back to the 90's.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Booleans still produce garbage geometry and degenerate polygons which you want to avoid for realtime. They're fine in a sculpting context because sculpts are usually garbage geometry anyway so the end product is gonna go through a retopo that'll produce something more palatable.

If you want modular windows though one approach is to decide on standard window footprints and model window holes in the building, on which you can fit whatever frames you need. Another approach is to just have a full wall and paste the windows on top of that wherever you need them. You can use interior mapping or some other fancy trick to produce the illusion there's something on the other side of the window.

Chev fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 7, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There're projects like Realtime CSG for Unity that do incredibly impressive things in a mostly efficient way.
You can for instance make complicated prefabs (like a window) and use them in boolean operations.

Last time I looked into this, the common 3D modelling apps (like Blender) don't really support stuff like that in a powerful and reliable way.

I may be wrong (I probably am).

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 7, 2020

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chev posted:

Another approach is to just have a full wall and past the windows on top of that wherever you need them. You can use interior mapping or some other fancy trick to produce the illusion there's something on the other side of the window.

yeah, this is a bit trickier with windows (since they're usually see-through) but it's a technique I've been paying attention to lately and see absolutely everywhere in games now that I'm looking for it. I'm used to modelling and rigging characters so I always try to make geometry that's connected rather than free-floating, but when it comes to environments it seems like the best, simplest and also easiest way is to just make separate pieces and clip them into each other.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

The answer is.... it depends.

Boolean/cutting is perfectly fine if you know what you're doing. Any decent hard surface artist knows how to boolean correctly and not have terrible geometry, or how to clean it up quickly. If you're doing vertex light baking, which is kind of an older technique and not used too much anymore, then you'll want cut outs and connected geometry.

Slamming geo together is better for quick iteration, and using tools that can automatically generated and populate props and other geometry.

Which one is "correct" all depends on the needs of the project and the scale that you're working with. For environment artists, it's good to know how to do both.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Posted this in the 3DCG thread a while back, but this is what the workflow looks like if you're using booleans and don't want to completely ruin your mesh. I was rushed when I made it, but it's still generally correct.

https://imgur.com/a/34tlT

It takes some planning up front, but booleans can be incredibly good and useful if done correctly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My rule of thumb has always been don’t do more work than you need. Unless there’s an exterior to my building a ‘fake’ window does just fine. Mask the glass and slap a cubemap to fake an exterior.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZngVzJxY1-U

some gameplay where you save your friends!

I have been redoing some artwork. One problem with the jail is that I think the colorful prisoners are too distracting, so I've put them in glass aquariums instead. And put some dark outlines around the keyblocks

Here it is in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwsdict5Ss

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The see-through part isn't really a problem in my case (like you guys said, it's strictly for exterior scenes so opaque windows/cheats work great), the main thing that sent me down the boolean rabbit hole is the need to inset the windows. In some cases you can get away with straight-up smooshing the window mesh into the wall and having it come out okay, but more often than not you want windows and doorways to very obviously sit inside the mesh, at a point where the flat wall would clip into the window if you don't get rid of it somehow. This is a pretty good example of the architecture you couldn't get away with mashing 'em together on:

Since architecture is kinda-sorta standardized I'm thinking that the laziest option is probably your guys' suggestion of using modular wall pieces with preexisting cutouts in a few standard sizes. It makes piecing together the facade itself a bit trickier, since in a perfectly world I'd like the wall part to be a single seamless mesh (to avoid that obnoxious inconsistency when you get subtly different lighting calculations on each piece during the bake), but the worst case scenario there would just be assembling the facades in blender and exporting the finished product as a single thing, and that's dumb but not prohibitively annoying by a long shot.

(Honestly the real laziest solution would probably be just loop-cutting the crap out of each facade and extrude + scaling the door and window bits in like thirty seconds, but I don't want to do that for every facade; I ideally want to make each window/door/complex detail once and then mass-reuse it.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, where is your game set?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

xzzy posted:

Traditionally, booleans are a newbie trap. They seem like a cool way to get a job done but have a reputation of doing something stupid like generating inefficient geometry or corrupting the file.

They might be okay these days, the "don't do it" rule dates back to the 90's.

Is there some general reason for this? I just remember a long time ago first seeing them in Blender. The documentation basically implied after using one that I should call everyone dear to me to make sure they hadn't suddenly died.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Boolean cutting can yield great results and is very handy sometimes when you need to get specific shapes that would take much longer by hand.

Unfortunately, because modeling packages are far from perfect, it can also introduce problems. You might not notice them when you are doing the operations but infinitely tiny hidden faces/edges and non-manifold geometry (like, say, overlapping vertices, woohoo) can linger behind afterwards and it will cause you headaches.

If you're making something purely to render as an image, go wild. If you're making assets for a game engine, better to plan ahead and account for holes/openings in what you're modeling rather than adding them later.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I have been redoing some artwork. One problem with the jail is that I think the colorful prisoners are too distracting, so I've put them in glass aquariums instead. And put some dark outlines around the keyblocks

Here it is in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwsdict5Ss

This looks great! And the puzzle concept, where you have to lock the robots in with the keyblocks, is pretty clever too.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some general reason for this? I just remember a long time ago first seeing them in Blender. The documentation basically implied after using one that I should call everyone dear to me to make sure they hadn't suddenly died.

For anything that animates, you want to have as consistent of a mesh as you can. Ideally it's entirely composed of quads (pairs of tris that share a single edge) and all of the quads are about the same size. If you don't do this then as the mesh deforms during animation, you'll start seeing weird graphical oddities. It's generally not too hard, when you're modeling by hand, to keep a fairly consistent mesh. But computers tend to be bad at it, especially when it comes to booleans.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Fundamentally, mathematically, boolean operations are for solids, things that have an inside and an outside. That's not what you're working with in Blender or, for that matter, most modeling software! You're working with surfaces, that have a front and a back. Well, in truth, you're working with meshes, which are collections of surfaces that may or may not share some topological properties. If your mesh represents one or more topologically closed surfaces (which is easy to mess up), they they reasonably approximate solids (by assuming the back is inside and the front is outside, although your mesh may actually be an aberration where that alone is still hard to determine) and are subject to boolean operations. Otherwise they don't and the result is mathematically undefined and subject to the vagaries of your favorite software's specific implementation.

Even if they do, you'll still be fundamentally dealing with a polygon approximation of what should be a solid and the resulting topology will not be clean at all. Of particular note are polygons that are very small across one dimension compared to the other, which you want to avoid for plenty of math reasons related to rendering, collisions and more.

That's why booleans are much more reliable with alternative representations that specifically deal with solids, like CSG and voxels.

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 7, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Other issues with boolean operations are caused by floating point errors. That's why in the Quake days attempting it was a fast track to infinite leaks.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, sorta. The Quake map leaks weren't caused so much by the boolean operations themselves, which were performed correctly, as by assumptions around them that didn't take the foibles of floating point into account (and also the more quake-specific problem of needing watertight maps, not just watertight objects in the maps, due to the way their pipeline was set up).

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Zereth posted:

Well, where is your game set?

The one I'm working on right now is set in modern Japan (which definitely has the inset thingie), but ideally I wanna get my architectural workflow sorted out now, then reuse the same workflow in a zillion projects.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

The one I'm working on right now is set in modern Japan (which definitely has the inset thingie), but ideally I wanna get my architectural workflow sorted out now, then reuse the same workflow in a zillion projects.
Oh, well there goes my advice of "don't put them in your game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Chev posted:

Well, sorta. The Quake map leaks weren't caused so much by the boolean operations themselves, which were performed correctly, as by assumptions around them that didn't take the foibles of floating point into account (and also the more quake-specific problem of needing watertight maps, not just watertight objects in the maps, due to the way their pipeline was set up).

Oh poo poo! You brought up really old trauma! I can remember playing around in QERadiant two decades ago, trying to do something like that, having it look okay, and then discover a line in the leak checker punch right through a corner.

Chev posted:

That's why booleans are much more reliable with alternative representations that specifically deal with solids, like CSG and voxels.
Is that a common enough thing? I've had my head stuck in Blender so I haven't looked for anything that uses a completely different methodology.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

That jitter is screenshake from when you take damage. I tossed that in awhile back and I'm not entirely sold on it, mostly because it's going pretty much all the time during combat as you take lots of little hits. But I don't like it if there's no feedback that e.g. you're getting nibbled at by airplane machineguns either. So it still needs some refinement, and if you have suggestions I'm all ears.
Some sparks and maybe a metal crunching sound effect seem like appropriate ways to communicate that. Save the screenshake for big hits.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Zereth posted:

Oh, well there goes my advice of "don't put them in your game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

That's still probably the best advice, but I'm going to at least screw around for a while with workflows. Executionally the insets are trivial, so I'll probably end up doing the thing with the premade window holes- even with a ton of different window sizes the number of assets would stay pretty low.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have some sparking already, but that doesn't help when you're in the binoculars. A sound effect of some kind of deep metal ping combined with light explosions ought to work nicely as a "you just took a small hit" though; thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: later that very same day:

https://i.imgur.com/2dyRhyd.mp4

Sound balance is an issue; there's a lot going on. The point defense guns probably need to be dialed down a bunch. I'm reasonably happy with the hit sounds in this video; I have a (much smaller) set of sounds for medium/big hits, but for small stuff like this where the hit's dealing less than 1% of your max health, something that just kind of pings your armor seems appropriate.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 8, 2020

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I've got this boss fight nearly finished now, and I'm ridiculously happy with how it's turned out so far. Still needs some balancing and effects work, but I'm so excited to have it largely complete now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF34qc-_ugY

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Lucid Dream posted:

I've got this boss fight nearly finished now, and I'm ridiculously happy with how it's turned out so far. Still needs some balancing and effects work, but I'm so excited to have it largely complete now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF34qc-_ugY

Wow that looks fantastic, good job! Digging that teal laser and fire, and the animation is dope

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's looking great! My one bit of feedback is that it's not clear visually what the eggs that just sit there after being laid are doing.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Compiled a couple videos featuring background art and music for my platformer. Trying to go for a Sega-Genesis vibe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcSz7HeOLmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUHk226ptTI

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Yeah, that's looking great! My one bit of feedback is that it's not clear visually what the eggs that just sit there after being laid are doing.

Ah ok, I can see that. The first egg it lays contains a boom box that is playing the music, so it probably needs a particle to play over the speakers or something to indicate that sound is playing.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 8, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's awesome. I like how you can destroy it and the music stops. Then the chicken lays another one like "no, that's my music damnit you have to listen to it!" :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lucid Dream posted:

Ah ok, I can see that. The first egg it lays contains a boom box that is playing the music, so it probably needs a particle to play over the speakers or something to indicate that sound is playing.

Oh man, that is a great idea and also I did not pick up on it at all. Yeah, some particle effects would do the job. Simplest and most blatant would be to just have some little music notes floating around/away from it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That might be a bit cartoony. Maybe instead have a sound effect of a tape recorder starting up before the music plays. Like the click of the play button and then the spooling sound. If you need something visual, a few lines coming out of the speakers in a circle is kind of the universal "this thing is making noise" cue.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

KillHour posted:

That might be a bit cartoony. Maybe instead have a sound effect of a tape recorder starting up before the music plays. Like the click of the play button and then the spooling sound. If you need something visual, a few lines coming out of the speakers in a circle is kind of the universal "this thing is making noise" cue.

Yeah, I think we'll probably do exactly that.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
I released my Mario fan project: https://sean-noonan.itch.io/super

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This is good stuff, great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
E3 has been cancelled.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/03/e3-2020-has-been-canceled/