Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

A clicker floats from the sky and stabs Joel with a fungus katana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gort posted:

Any experienced Nioh players wanna help me out?

I'm just starting off playing the game, and I'm mostly after a fairly straightforward katana build, maybe light or medium armour. Not too interested in the ninja or magic stuff, but guess I wouldn't turn it down if there's some good synergy in there.

Most of the build guides online are kinda impenetrable. Anyone got a decent set of suggestions on how to level and what things I need to be doing with the blacksmith?

Sell everything for amrita at the blacksmith. Don't bother with soul matching and bullshit it's expensive and you don't need it for NG.

For now get levels in heart and magic, plus one other thing for a secondary weapon/weight reduction (spears are very good). Always stay in the green weight range. Magic might not appeal greatly but being able to empower weapons with elements or cast stat debuffs is of huge importance at times. Sloth is a crutch but crutches are good when you've broken your legs off kicking a demon 400 times for no reward.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well what do you know.

edit: not English though, in case anyone is wondering.

Your "real name" is showing

Neat, so it seems all Asian versions are effectively identical, they just have a different "default" language they fall back to if your language isn't set to an officially supported language (when my console is English, my copy reverts to Traditional Chinese; I presume yours would revert to Japanese in that instance), and probably some product code variances to restrict which store(s) you can get your DLC from.

Are retail discs still a major component of Japanese game sales (as in way more than digital sales and not close to even like it is in the West)? I'm assuming so since they're typically cheaper, at least now, and the trade-in ability must still be appealing to many. I also wonder if, like how some English speakers in parts of Europe/Australia/New Zealand will shop on US PSN, there's a subset of Japanese people who just buy from the Hong Kong PSN store in Japan, at least for the games where it's known the Asian version also supports Japanese (and may in fact only be in Japanese because stuff can get really weird in those territories), since those are typically 25% cheaper or thereabouts, including for disc copies which I imagine must be trivial to import from HK or Taiwan.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

Your "real name" is showing

It's not my real name.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not my real name.

Sounds like something Tombalva Brycotle would say.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Why didn’t they name The Last of Us 2 “The Rest of Us”, seems like a huge missed opportunity

Also, VideoGames, I know you said you’re gonna skip Yakuza 7 cause you’re not into turn based combat, and I was also feeling the same even though I don’t dislike it, or at least I used to enjoy it and the only turn based RPG I’ve played in forever is Pokémon, Yakuza 7 has incredible combat and I initially wasn’t planning on buying it because I’ve only beat Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Judgment so I figured I’d wait until I beat the rest of those, but from playing a little bit of the Japanese demo and not knowing what was going on aside from things I just figured out through trial and error or context, and it’s definitely one of the most fun and different straight up turn based RPGs I’ve ever played, and I guess I’m counting active time battle systems too, but it’s just so goofy and the animations and combos you can coordinate with your party are so dynamic and I’m glad they went with the decision instead of another brawler. I mean, I’m not necessarily recommending that you play it immediately, or at all, just that I’m also just tired of turn based games and the few I’ve given a chance to in the last few year haven’t grabbed me at all and the one that I did play was purely for nostalgia reasons, so I guess I’m just saying if you’re at all feeling like playing a new Yakuza game and that one looks interesting to you in any other way, I would still consider it.

Thank you! You know what, I am inspired to give it a try when I reach number 7 :) If someone recommends me something, then goodness, I will give it a go!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

Right now, I wish I could still change usernames. :twisted:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

Thank you! You know what, I am inspired to give it a try when I reach number 7 :) If someone recommends me something, then goodness, I will give it a go!

Although, my official VG recommendations are still Outer Wilds and then Control in that order, and I only feel ok in recommending them since you seemed to enjoy what you did play of Outer Wilds, and I’ve seen another goon or two recommend Control.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Although, my official VG recommendations are still Outer Wilds and then Control in that order, and I only feel ok in recommending them since you seemed to enjoy what you did play of Outer Wilds, and I’ve seen another goon or two recommend Control.

Believe me, as soon as they come to PC, I am jumping on them. Immediately.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Both are on EGS, but I assume you mean Steam, and oh yeah I forgot that you’re m+kB only for first person games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

edit: independent, randomly generated names for all internet identities is the way to go. Samurai Sanders is the only one I have left that means anything. The only reason I keep it because even if I changed it, everyone would keep calling me that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 6, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Both are on EGS, but I assume you mean Steam, and oh yeah I forgot that you’re m+kB only for first person games.

Oh yes, sorry. Steam. I really have no intention of fracturing my libraries any more than they already are and MB+K all the way :D

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Ghots of Tsushima's trailer was cool but it's been so long since we've seen gameplay I forgot what the game is actually going to be like. Went to dig a gameplay trailer up and it looks like the only one is from 2018. Seems like it's essentially Assassin's Creed?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alright I gotta be honest I’ve been in a really poo poo place lately and it’s been super hard to care about anything especially videogames. I’m not really compelled to play anything currently in my mix. Not even Yakuza even though I finally resubbed my plus for it. Should I grab something new? Force myself back into one I have going? I know you all chatted a bit about mental health and games recently. It’s usually a go to for pulling me out of bad times but lately I haven’t bothered. I miss it even though it’s always available. Brains are loving dumb. I’ve been reading Borges lately for the first time though in my ~actually doing something time~ and man, what a fantastic writer. I would play a Borges game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright I gotta be honest I’ve been in a really poo poo place lately and it’s been super hard to care about anything especially videogames. I’m not really compelled to play anything currently in my mix. Not even Yakuza even though I finally resubbed my plus for it. Should I grab something new? Force myself back into one I have going? I know you all chatted a bit about mental health and games recently. It’s usually a go to for pulling me out of bad times but lately I haven’t bothered. I miss it even though it’s always available. Brains are loving dumb. I’ve been reading Borges lately for the first time though in my ~actually doing something time~ and man, what a fantastic writer. I would play a Borges game.

I think we all are in some respects. I have been reading comics instead of gaming and when I do game it has been ten minutes and then I would rather be elsewhere. We have slumps and they are a bummer and perhaps this is a slump you are having too. Do not force yourself to game, maybe a breather is needed. Maybe doing other things will bring the spark back. You do not have to game to come chat here :) Also if you are doing the therapy stuff or taking medication, double check they are doing well too.

Gaming will always be here!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I cannot get over how good that Doom Eternal soundtrack trailer is. I think I'm going to hold off on buying it until I clear some of my single player game backlog (looking at you, Yakuza 0!) and the price drops a little bit. I'm awful at shooters and don't feel like spending $60 to suck at a videogame.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Maybe my concern is misplaced, but in my experience this is a natural outcome for anyone who plays video games habitually. Anything that is a habit can gradually over time become indistinguishable from routine, and I don't know about you, but for me Games aren't fun anymore when playing them feels routine. I often bow out of a game long before I'm finished because the act of playing certain games had become so routine it felt like a chore. These are the times where I take breaks, usually to read comics or find some other outlet, in addition to reading posts here of people in similar situations. It's at least of a small comfort to me to read these forums, where mostly people are really supportive, even though I don't post much. I don't know who Borges is, what kind of writing do they do, could you recommend a title? Hope things improve for you soon!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

When I don't feel great I normally try a new videogame genre or something that I never gave a shot before.

When I first tried Dark Souls years ago I didn't like it but tried again while having problems and it just clicked and now I'm in love with the series and that kind of game. I find games with a lot of numbers and theorycrafting like The Division 1/2 help me to focus and others like Prey or Control have enviroments that disconnect me from real life, helping me relax.

Books, series and such are good tools too, just juggle stuff until you find something that makes you feel better. Running or walking long distances are great for your brain and your body.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Kilometers Davis posted:

What kind of games do you usually play? We’ve been in a bit of a release drought since the beginning of this year, but we’re about to get a whole bunch of big stuff all at once in the next few weeks if any of those sound interesting to you. On the horizon: Nioh 2 (3/13), DOOM Eternal and Animal Crossing (3/20), Resident Evil 3 Remake (4/3), and Final Fantasy 7 Remake (4/10). I’m a bit overwhelmed by all of it tbh.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Housh posted:

DmC is worth $10 CAD, huh?
No

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I don’t know if you have Dreams or not, KD, but the music making software is super fun to use, and the game-making stuff too of course, but the coolest stuff I’ve found, and have had the most fun doing, is like making weird little art installations I guess. Stuff like this: https://youtu.be/I7-s_V3TJeg And https://youtu.be/BuBAVTP0q2E are some of the more interesting things I’ve found and similar to stuff I’ve been working on since I’ve been basically just making music and trying to do more abstract visual art stuff since I’m awful at it and it’s easier to make stuff like that than like animating a person in a way that doesn’t look awful. Plus it makes me feel like I’m not totally wasting my time and of course you can just browse other peoples’ Dreams and it’s like playing Newgrounds or browsing Youtube.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 6, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Read more Borges imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

AnarkiJ posted:

I don't know who Borges is, what kind of writing do they do, could you recommend a title? Hope things improve for you soon!

Start with Labyrinths. Has most of his more well known stories

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Borges is (well, was) an Argentine short story writer and one of the original inventors of magical realism. If you played Kentucky Route Zero it owes a lot to him.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’m playing Kentucky Route Zero on PS4 for the first time and it is good. Edit: but it makes me want to play disco elysium with a controller, just because I want to play it again and the comparisons to that game made me check out KRZ, and I’ve never clicked a mouse so frequently in my life before playing Disco Elysium.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 6, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do I need a PS Plus subscription to play PS Plus monthly games I've downloaded in the past?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Qubee posted:

Do I need a PS Plus subscription to play PS Plus monthly games I've downloaded in the past?

Yes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just saw the Ghost of Tsushima story trailer. The game looks absolutely gorgeous, the story looks pretty good which is a + for a suckerpunch game. I just feel like if the combat is as fun as the infamous games this could be a big *hit.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 6, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megasabin posted:

Ghots of Tsushima's trailer was cool but it's been so long since we've seen gameplay I forgot what the game is actually going to be like. Went to dig a gameplay trailer up and it looks like the only one is from 2018. Seems like it's essentially Assassin's Creed?

It looks like button=awesome gameplay.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I guess Sly Cooper is dead and gone. RIP Sly Cooper :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GOT looks cool and I’ll probably buy it right away but their marketing has been so cinematic focused that it hasn’t really sent my hype levels through the roof yet. They should release a couple more gameplay videos.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are you experiencing tiredness or ennui in general my dude? Sometimes when I'm down on things I lose interest in hobbies I normally enjoy, it's quite common. If reading is making you happy read a bit more! I didn't play video games for a couple of months but now I'm back on a gaming rampage!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

blackguy32 posted:

I guess Sly Cooper is dead and gone. RIP Sly Cooper :smith:

wow that custom title

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

GOT looks cool and I’ll probably buy it right away but their marketing has been so cinematic focused that it hasn’t really sent my hype levels through the roof yet. They should release a couple more gameplay videos.

Ya that's the one thing i am worried about which is weird to say about a suckerpunch game. Even the little gameplay they showed look very cinematic which is not something I am fond of.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Rinkles posted:

wow that custom title

Disagree with someone about Bernie Sanders, and this is the outcome.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Has there been any new material to disprove the "Joel is dead" theory

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

blackguy32 posted:

Disagree with someone about Bernie Sanders, and this is the outcome.

there were some rather regrettable posts in the primary thread that day

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ulio posted:

Ya that's the one thing i am worried about which is weird to say about a suckerpunch game. Even the little gameplay they showed look very cinematic which is not something I am fond of.

Yeah I need details on combat mechanics before I start getting excited. I think the most significant gameplay we've seen has been from the E3 2018 video, and all I can suss out is that 1) there's combat and 2) there's stealth kills. If the combat and stealth can't keep me engaged then I'm not going to want to slog through it, no matter how good the story and visuals are.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has there been any new material to disprove the "Joel is dead" theory

The trailer for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

Borges rules, keep reading that!

Or come kick doors in Siege with Beanpole.

or read Gunnm

or watch Gunnm haha

We ain't going anywhere. Drop in whenever you like!

AnarkiJ posted:

Maybe my concern is misplaced, but in my experience this is a natural outcome for anyone who plays video games habitually. Anything that is a habit can gradually over time become indistinguishable from routine, and I don't know about you, but for me Games aren't fun anymore when playing them feels routine. I often bow out of a game long before I'm finished because the act of playing certain games had become so routine it felt like a chore. These are the times where I take breaks, usually to read comics or find some other outlet, in addition to reading posts here of people in similar situations. It's at least of a small comfort to me to read these forums, where mostly people are really supportive, even though I don't post much. I don't know who Borges is, what kind of writing do they do, could you recommend a title? Hope things improve for you soon!

Borges has a nice volume each of both Collected Fictions and Collected Nonfictions. Both are essential imo