Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Be that as it may, people thought it was him, he said "it's not me," and I haven't seen a single thing reputable that says it's him now. We know a few of them for sure because they are talking about it, but it's kind of odd that he hasn't said one more word about the game on his Twitter if he's really in it.

quote:

Wedge is definitely voiced by Badger.

I mean it absolutely sounds like him but again...why the complete lack of him saying anything about it then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe they hired him after everyone thought it was him? 2015 was a long time ago.

Also, the demo is super dark on my TV (this is a recurring issue with many Japanese games, I always have to crank the brightness way up, whereas US or European developed games I rarely have to increase it at all).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Well I managed to find this so looks like it is official:

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake

quote:

One thing that wasn’t mentioned in the conference was who’s voicing these beloved group of characters. We’re excited to announce an all-star cast now, including:

Cloud, voiced by Cody Christian (All American, Teen Wolf)
Barret, voiced by John Eric Bentley (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Independence Day: Resurgence)
Aerith, voiced by Briana White (Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, Occupants)
Tifa, voiced by Britt Baron (GLOW)
Jessie, voiced by Erica Lindbeck (Spider-Man, Persona 5, ThunderCats Roar)
Biggs, voiced by Gideon Emery (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Teen Wolf)
Wedge, voiced by Matt Jones (Breaking Bad)
Sephiroth, voiced by Tyler Hoechlin

My bad. Wikipedia's references for him are just to some lovely gaming news site (IGN) so I was dubious.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 6, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, Badger has that kind of raspy stoner white boy voice that isn't exactly unique. Someone with twitter should ask him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On the subject, I got some of the cast's autographs at PAX East this past weekend and Barret's VA was the nicest dude I've ever met in my loving life.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Still mad Rachael Leigh Cook isn't Tifa any more.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I read that that SE blog post about what happens after the bombing run. how do we feel about how conspicuous this Sephiroth and the evil ghosts stuff is? I feel like unless it's all meant to be some kind of meta thing where someone's loving with the narrative, it's kind of wack to have Cloud save her from ghosts rather than just bumping into her after the explosion

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just hope she isn't freaking out/scared of the ghosts or w/e. Aeris is supposed to already give zero fucks about that kinda poo poo 'cause she's been dealing with it since she was a small child.

e: that said the idea of sephiroth 'leading' cloud to aeris is an interesting one. just like aeris knows well ahead of time thatshe needs to die for the planet, sephiroth surely thinks he needs to kill her to try and stop her from using holy. so him manipulating cloud into helping aeris get to him is an addition that could be p cool depending on what all else they are changing

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 6, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I read that that SE blog post about what happens after the bombing run. how do we feel about how conspicuous this Sephiroth and the evil ghosts stuff is? I feel like unless it's all meant to be some kind of meta thing where someone's loving with the narrative, it's kind of wack to have Cloud save her from ghosts rather than just bumping into her after the explosion

The Sephiroth stuff at the very least is pretty obviously Cloud's hallucinations, triggered by bumping into Aerith instead of starting, like, two thirds of the way into the game

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Blockhouse posted:

The Sephiroth stuff at the very least is pretty obviously Cloud's hallucinations, triggered by bumping into Aerith instead of starting, like, two thirds of the way into the game

That article says the Sephiroth stuff is what leads her to him, which lol depending how they handle it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I liked that in the original, Cloud and Aeris' connection before he falls in her church is pretty much happenstance. making Sephiroth puppeteer them into each other is the kind of stuff I'm worried about in expanding the plot

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know, people always talk about how Sephiroth is the most badass FF villain (or one of the most), but I think of Sephiroth as more sad than badass. His whole life sucked and the one time he started actually making a friend who wasn't an rear end in a top hat or a dying mutant, he winds up having a world-shattering revelation that drives him crazy.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I still hold fast to my theory that, after Dirge of Cerberus, Weiss and Genesis are somehow up to timefuckery that's being told via a remake to not only revisit the original game but also end the compilation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Who the gently caress is Badger?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

Who the gently caress is Badger?

Skinny Pete's best friend, duh

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Are they going to replace the Tiny Bronco with an El Camino?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn't realise there was a dedicated thread so I already asked in the FF mega thread but maybe there'll be more information in here, are they legit going to try and make me buy 3 £60 games over the course of who knows how many years for this because that demo was cool but absolutely not "£180 and unless they're going to surprise announce the rest of it coming this year it's spanning generations so you better stick whatever a PS5 costs on there too" cool.

When they first announced it would be episodic I figured "oh like every other episodic game where you can buy the first episode and then the rest ad-hoc or just buy the game and the other episodes are just added as they come out" not this nonsense.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they never said it was only going to be 3

it could easily be 4 or 5

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It worked for Blizzard so why not Squeenix.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn't realise there was a dedicated thread so I already asked in the FF mega thread but maybe there'll be more information in here, are they legit going to try and make me buy 3 £60 games over the course of who knows how many years for this because that demo was cool but absolutely not "£180 and unless they're going to surprise announce the rest of it coming this year it's spanning generations so you better stick whatever a PS5 costs on there too" cool.

When they first announced it would be episodic I figured "oh like every other episodic game where you can buy the first episode and then the rest ad-hoc or just buy the game and the other episodes are just added as they come out" not this nonsense.

There's absolutely no information at all about how the episodes are going to work, but it's not unreasnable to think that each episode is going to be its own stand alone discs.

This game is the entirety of midgar and it's on 2 BR Discs.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They are making these each into fully fleshed out games, why would they not cost the same as every other game AAA game?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tithin posted:

There's absolutely no information at all about how the episodes are going to work, but it's not unreasnable to think that each episode is going to be its own stand alone discs.

This game is the entirety of midgar and it's on 2 BR Discs.

Wait, there's going to be a disk 2 for this game?

I can't remember the last time i've played a game that needed to change discs. They're truly going hard on the nostalgia.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think its reasonable to split the game up into three games so they don't have to make quite a massive variety of assets and can focus on similarly detailed locations. Like, the first one can have a lot of Midgar assets and then the second can have a lot of trees and outdoor stuff in comparison while also continuing to use the stuff they made for Midgar.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't remember the last time i've played a game that needed to change discs. They're truly going hard on the nostalgia.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It'll just be a 2 disc install before you can even start playing, not a mid-game swap. RDR2 did the same thing, you get a "data" disc and a "play" disc like old school pc games.

Ethiser posted:

They are making these each into fully fleshed out games, why would they not cost the same as every other game AAA game?

I guess it's just my expectation having not followed the updates over the years since they unveiled this, because as I remember it the original pitch was "Final Fantasy VII remade" and not "Individual sections of Final Fantasy VII remade and sold to you as separate full price games over an indeterminate period of time"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the episodic structure has been common knowledge for around two years now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If there’s one thing goons have shown it’s that people will unquestioningly pay for the same game many times, and in fact will complain if there are not enough ways to buy the same game over and over.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

the episodic structure has been common knowledge for around two years now

And again, episodic has traditionally meant "a full price game delivered in sections" not "every episode is a full price game all of its own"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Who the gently caress pays £60 for games?

Nail Rat posted:

some lovely gaming news site (IGN)

Sick burn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

And again, episodic has traditionally meant "a full price game delivered in sections" not "every episode is a full price game all of its own"

the fact that said structure is not traditional has also been common knowledge. you weren’t paying attention.

just don’t buy it, you probably aren’t missing much

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Why are you seemingly upset that it's gonna end up being 120 hours

I mean the original still exists if you want to blow through Midgar in 5 hours

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

just don’t buy it, you probably aren’t missing much

This is basically where I'm at.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E: never mind

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Arist posted:

...Cool? Then why are you in this thread, if you don't mind my asking?

Because of the off chance someone would be able to say "no man you've got it wrong, the £60 price tag is the whole shebang and the rest is DLC" or something.

Sorry to clutter the discussion with questions about the topic being discussed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Isn't the phrase "evil corporation" kind of redundant?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:psyduck:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm just saying it's kind of weird to hang around in the thread for a game you've decided not to buy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

I'm just saying it's kind of weird to hang around in the thread for a game you've decided not to buy

It's also weird to think this thread would have answers that Google couldn't provide

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because of the off chance someone would be able to say "no man you've got it wrong, the £60 price tag is the whole shebang and the rest is DLC" or something.

Sorry to clutter the discussion with questions about the topic being discussed.

The $60 is for what they are saying is a full-length JRPG. You're kind of hyper-focused on the 'episodic' part and ignoring that (assuming they are not lying) you're paying for a full-length video game,

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

stev posted:

Who the gently caress pays £60 for games?

Sick burn.

The IGN was edited in after I looked back at what site it was but I stand by it. When they don't source any quotes or facts, it's not trustworthy info.

Edit: the two disc install poo poo sucks. Guess it's time to finally get a 2TB.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Elentor posted:

Please just give me vagrant story, please.

I just played this for the first time last month. It's my friend's favorite game and he insisted I give it a go.

What a hidden gem of a game. Give it some modern graphics and some QOL menu upgrades and it would be incredible.