Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GrandpaPants posted:

I just finished Hellboy/BPRD/etc. and that ending seemed kinda underwhelming? Like the big showdown between Hellboy and the antagonist was just super anticlimactic, and then the epilogue issue didn't really allow the consequences to have any weight of emotion. The death of the Ogdru Jahad was similarly anticlimactic and happened offscreen for chrissakes.

Like I dunno, given just how long that series was winding up to that conclusion, it just sorta farted it out.

It’s not that shocking as they already spoiled the ending a while ago. It was hidden but looking back it was super obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The entire series was basically one slow march to apocalypse, with a thousand warning signs saying "This is exactly what is going to happen, and nothing can change it". Well that was exactly what was going to happen, and nothing changed it. There is more context to what it means though, and it's not as hopeless as what they feared.

Skwirl posted:

How many issues is the whole Hellboy/BPRD saga if anyone knows? I know there's a bunch of 8 page stories in other books and probably some free comic book day comics so an exact count is pretty hard.

If it's under 150 issues I'd be shocked. Hellboy proper is like 70 or 80 on it's own, and there's a LOT of BRPD stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I think it's hard to end anything that goes on that long with a satisfactory ending.

I'm trying to think of a long run that ended satisfactorily. Sandman and Lucifer are the longest ones I can think of at 75 issues each, Hellboy/BPRD has to be a lot more issues than that.

Cerebus had a perfect ending if you work from the premise that it ended with Church and State.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I've only read through Hell on Earth so I don't know how BPRD ends but I thought Hellboy in Hell was a great ending. It's not happy but even without the BPRD stuff it's kinda inevitable - the only "happy" ending for humanity is one where everything in hell ends.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

uber's never getting finished and I'm bummed about it. :(

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I think it's hard to end anything that goes on that long with a satisfactory ending.

I'm trying to think of a long run that ended satisfactorily. Sandman and Lucifer are the longest ones I can think of at 75 issues each, Hellboy/BPRD has to be a lot more issues than that.

Transmetropolitan. I'd argue in favor of 100 Bullets, although I'm still a little gobsmacked at how fast it deviated from its starting premise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Transmetropolitan. I'd argue in favor of 100 Bullets, although I'm still a little gobsmacked at how fast it deviated from its starting premise.

Transmetropolitan is 60 issues. I should finish 100 Bullets at some point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Skwirl posted:

The Invisibles.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Ultimate Spider-Man maybe

The Boys

And I haven’t finished Giant Days, but I have high hopes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's not super super long but Morrison's Doom Patrol has one of the strongest finales I can think of and absolutely feels like a complete body of work.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mulva posted:

The entire series was basically one slow march to apocalypse, with a thousand warning signs saying "This is exactly what is going to happen, and nothing can change it". Well that was exactly what was going to happen, and nothing changed it. There is more context to what it means though, and it's not as hopeless as what they feared.

If it's under 150 issues I'd be shocked. Hellboy proper is like 70 or 80 on it's own, and there's a LOT of BRPD stuff.

BPRD mainline is over 160 issues itself. Probably closes in on 325-350 one you factor in all the Hellboy series, one shots and BPRD related minis.

I got the feeling the weak ending kind of stemmed Nichols never really intending to fly delve into it. He was probably fine putting out loosely collected mini series with intriguing hints but never gave too much thought about tying everything together for the first15 years of the life. It's almost like a comic version of the X Files in a way.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Invincible has a strong ending that it seriously didn't deserve. At least half of the comic was a looping series of plotlines, but somehow it crawled out of the gutter. So strong start, forgettable middle, and what felt like a satisfactory ending.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I am actually glad they managed to end Invincible properly, though my estimate of filler content would be lower (like 30-40 issues that weren't really needed).

Y: The Last Man was briefly mentioned...it's a great book with a good ending, but there's a couple of things in the very last issue that never felt quite right for me. It made me wish they had added like an extra issue or two to do a little more showing and a little less telling, to put it in the least spoiler-y way possible.

wielder fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 7, 2020

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh, I'm also glad that Invincible had a good ending. 144 issues is a fair bit of investment.

Anyone here finish The Walking Dead and can comment? I still haven't finished the second omnibus and keep forgetting I also have the third one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Oh, I'm also glad that Invincible had a good ending. 144 issues is a fair bit of investment.

Anyone here finish The Walking Dead and can comment? I still haven't finished the second omnibus and keep forgetting I also have the third one.

I did. Like Invincible it follows through on characters after the main story ends. It ends where Kirkman said it would, and it was pretty satisfactory on the whole.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing is only 40-some issues but really good. There’s also Don Rosa’s Donald & Scrooge, which was recently collected in ten volumes. And if you’re willing to stoop to manga, there’s Akira (six volumes) and Lone Wolf & Cub (twenty-eight volumes, but a legendary conclusion).

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 7, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lone Wolf and Cub’s ending rules.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This topic is dangerous as a lot of the titles you're talking about the ending to are ones I'm reading now, haha.

I'm reading Y: The Last Man, Hellboy/BRPD, and Chew amongst some of them (just the ones that are done).

How about The Wicked & The Divine? Also, Paper Girls, although that's a shorter one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WicDiv is great. Paper Girls was alright.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Chew had an interesting ending, but Layman is coming out with a spinoff, Chu, about Tony's sister Saffron. The new story might run concurrently to the events in Chew to make readers look at things differently.

Paper Girls' ending made me tear up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really need to re-read Y: The Last Man. I think the last time I went through the whole thing was right after it finished. Which was exactly a dozen years ago this month. drat.

Sandman is also a series I really need to sit down and re-read.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Honestly, the discussion makes me think of another side. What are people's favorite series like Ex Machina, where it makes the creators career to the point they don't have time to give it a proper ending?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Honestly, the discussion makes me think of another side. What are people's favorite series like Ex Machina, where it makes the creators career to the point they don't have time to give it a proper ending?

But that wasn't the case? BKV had already made his name with Y: The Last Man and Runaways before he began Ex Machina.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub’s ending rules.

I think Lone Wolf and Cub is one of the best serialized stories of all time but introducing manga to this conversation is a can of worms just because serialization is approached so differently between that and Western comics.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

I think Lone Wolf and Cub is one of the best serialized stories of all time but introducing manga to this conversation is a can of worms just because serialization is approached so differently between that and Western comics.

For sure, but I think you can look at stuff like this as a complete story with an ending, and I think unlike some other neverending manga it was written that way, so it broadly fits.

On another note, anyone reading the new Ablaze Conan book?

It’s got some dope looking interior art... very European.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

How Wonderful! posted:

My view on manga finales is that it's about the journey, not the ending.

Jordan7hm posted:

For sure, but I think you can look at stuff like this as a complete story with an ending, and I think unlike some other neverending manga it was written that way, so it broadly fits.

On another note, anyone reading the new Ablaze Conan book?

It’s got some dope looking interior art... very European.

Whoa, it's straight out of Heavy Metal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok now I’ve read it. The writing and storytelling is not so good.

The art rules though. Reminds me a bit of Nury.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I guess in that case I'd also nominate as rock-solid long-form manga with a defined and definite "feeling" ending: Maisson Ikkoku, Blade of the Immortal, the Osamu Tezuka Buddha and the obvious Pluto. I'm by no means a manga expert though so I'm sure I'm overlooking some gems. Is Vagabond over or still going on?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's on hiatus due to health issues. It's unlikely Vagabond will ever finish.

Edit: he got better he's just not working on Vagabond.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 8, 2020

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If we’re just gonna be sad about series without endings...

Powers didn’t make BMB’s career, but he’s so fond of big-2 work that I don’t believe it will get a proper ending.

Phoenix by Tezuka also isn’t getting an ending, because he went and died. And it’s easily one of the best comics I’ve ever read.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I finished Black Science this weekend and I thought it had a very strong ending.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did anyone else pick up the new Hickman space assassin book Decorum this week? Seemed like a promising start and not surprisingly struck me as extremely Hickman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize it was a Hickman book. I'll have to get it tonight

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Did anyone else pick up the new Hickman space assassin book Decorum this week? Seemed like a promising start and not surprisingly struck me as extremely Hickman.

It's good! I liked the page that was a diagram of a bowl of noodles.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I was going to wait for the collected editions of Giant Days to finish reading the series, but Comixology is having a sale on the series so I picked up the last few issues I needed. I'll still probably buy the trades when they come out.

In related John Allison news, his next comic series Wicked Things is available for pre-order on Comixology. He also started a webcomic continuation of Steeple and has posted a few pages already.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cloks posted:

It's good! I liked the page that was a diagram of a bowl of noodles.

Extremely Hickman.

Now please finish Black Monday Murders my dude.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Took a chance and picked up James Bond #4. I haven't read any of the James Bond comics aside from Warren Ellis' VARGR, which I thought was excellent. I hadn't heard of the writers of this issue before, but they turned in a fairly solid Bond story: Bond is still a smarmy bastard, Moneypenny ( I assume it's Moneypenny) isn't buying his poo poo, and there is the requisite introduction of cool gear scene. Pretty enjoyable stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Uber Invasion is never finishing, is it? :smith:

Robot Wendigo posted:

Took a chance and picked up James Bond #4. I haven't read any of the James Bond comics aside from Warren Ellis' VARGR, which I thought was excellent. I hadn't heard of the writers of this issue before, but they turned in a fairly solid Bond story: Bond is still a smarmy bastard, Moneypenny ( I assume it's Moneypenny) isn't buying his poo poo, and there is the requisite introduction of cool gear scene. Pretty enjoyable stuff.

Vita Ayala is extremely cool and good (and a pro Twitter follow)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tini howard is gonna be co-writing a vampire book

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1239929547023355905

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why is it always oWoD? Why can't we get the far superior nWoD?