Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At this point, I’d be happy with “pretty okay I guess”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

At this point, I’d be happy with “pretty okay I guess”

If Adventure 20 is on par with Adventure 02 I'll take it. That is how low my standards are.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

If Adventure 20 is on par with Adventure 02 I'll take it. That is how low my standards are.
Ken was a good character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Ken was a good character.

For all 02 did wrong (and it did a lot wrong) I still think Ken is the most interesting and the best character in all of Adventure and honestly ranks amongst the highest of Digimon in general, and 02 actually used him pretty well ignoring how it wanted you to play a game that never came out of Japan to get his full backstory.

No other part of Adventure will get someone as interesting as Ken, considering it'll always be stuck with Hikari, a walking Deus ex Machina (literally!) with no personality to speak of, more a plot device than a character; or Meiko, who had potential to be great but sadly was stuck in Tri which had little interest in anything but forced drama.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I dunno if Ken even needs a backstory. “He thought it was a VR video game and so it didn’t matter if he was an rear end in a top hat” is both a complete villain origin all on its own and also a loving galaxy brain way to give a character a redemption arc.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Adventure 02 had its moments. It just needed to stop after the first round of DNA digivolutions. We get the Emperor, his fall, and redemption facing a real threat. After that, the story lost all direction, villains became jokes, and the characters stagnated.

Anyway, this new anime is looking about as good as it could be given that it literally is a rehash of the oldest series.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jessiemon and Jameson were the best villains on personality alone

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Jessiemon and Jameson were the best villains on personality alone

Meowthmon had good moments too and he's very memorable even if his death sucked.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
BlackWarGreymon couldn't have been more 90s-2000s anime anti-hero ANGST if they loving tried. Getting Steve Blum of all people for him was an A Plus move.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This new adventure show looks fine but after tri maybe they should just make a new digimon anime that is good like tamers and data savers instead of bad like app mon and xros wars 2 and adventure 01.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

bad like app mon
Them's fightin' words.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I really hope that “ancient battle” thing isn’t the old continuity and this is connected to the old universe. That’d suck all my interest out of this.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I really hope that “ancient battle” thing isn’t the old continuity and this is connected to the old universe. That’d suck all my interest out of this.

:same:

just let a clean reboot be a goddamn clean reboot

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Well it's a coin flip at this point. Assuming the translation is correct, we're looking at one of two things.

This is MASSIVELY its own thing, where the Digimon, at least Agumon and Patamon, were important in the past in some unknown event that will (hopefully) be expanded on and we won't have the original plot line at all...

Or

Surprise, this is a continuation of Adventure 01 after all! Either some bad guy hit the in universe reset button, or all of the kids are trapped in some kind of false reality (again) where they're kids again, or something or other but there are elements of their true history still around

Like, Agumon alone is one thing. That's easily conflatable with his fight with Parrotmon and all the nonsense that happened around that. Patamon getting the same kind of shout out is the eyebrow raiser.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ancient battle was the one from Frontier's backstory, Lucemon's going to take Myotismon and Apocloymon's place.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sounds like they’re going to make Angemon more important. The Celestial Trio might be a established thing here and Patamon and Gatomon are them after being forcibly reset.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Make Angemon more important" just makes me laugh so hard

Fucker was the most important Digimon across Adventure 01, nothing would fit a reboot better than somehow topping that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Patamon is just Angemon 99% of the time, this includes riding on TK's head.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1235755008714518530
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1235755011746996224

They haven't changed much beyond clothes and even in that some are extremely similar. Points to Takeru for carrying his dub name on his cap though.

Purple Matt with sleeves is hosed up. I don't like it. Izzy somehow acquiring even bigger dork energy with his new outfit is baller though. Trailer looked really good too. It's the same animation style just expanded upon with the innovations gleaned from the last 20 years of industry development.

Hopefully the show is actually good.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm on chapter 6 of Cyber Sleuth and I was surprised how easily the game was letting me get to ultimate with tons of Digimon, but then I learned about ABI and megas :smith:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I found the Cyber Sleuth Mega grind to be fairly relaxing, just threw on some music and murdered a bunch of Seadramon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

I'm on chapter 6 of Cyber Sleuth and I was surprised how easily the game was letting me get to ultimate with tons of Digimon, but then I learned about ABI and megas :smith:

Yeah, that's the game's way of limiting how fast you power up. You can get experience at absurd speed if you barely know what you're doing, but you're going to hit that particular limit sooner or later. That said, devolving is actually a pretty painless thing and your Digimon will be that much stronger once they evolve again, plus again, experience is extremely easy to obtain if you know what you're doing, you don't really need to go out of your way in the main game for it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i double dipped on the switch version of cyber sleuth almost purely because in-game time passes while you have the switch in sleep mode, meaning anything in your farms levels up while you're not playing

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

If I had a switch, I'd probably double dip too. I just want more Cyber Slueth games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

blossommirage posted:

If I had a switch, I'd probably double dip too. I just want more Cyber Slueth games.

Habu has already said that a Story game will follow Survive but it won't be a Cyber Sleuth, Cyber Sleuth's story is over. The next Story will be an all-new setting, which honestly, I'm super pumped for because it'll probably rock, Habu's done wonders for the game side of Digimon to the point that it's the only one that isn't a constant disappointment lately, unlike the anime.

...Which will never stop feeling weird.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, that's the game's way of limiting how fast you power up. You can get experience at absurd speed if you barely know what you're doing, but you're going to hit that particular limit sooner or later. That said, devolving is actually a pretty painless thing and your Digimon will be that much stronger once they evolve again, plus again, experience is extremely easy to obtain if you know what you're doing, you don't really need to go out of your way in the main game for it.

This is good to know, since I panicked and de-digivolved all my Digimon to rookie to raise their ABI, plus it doesn't seem like I'm as close to the end game as I thought so it'll be nice to play around with champions some more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

This is good to know, since I panicked and de-digivolved all my Digimon to rookie to raise their ABI, plus it doesn't seem like I'm as close to the end game as I thought so it'll be nice to play around with champions some more.

A couple of tips on ABI increasing:
1) Digimon created at 200% scan data will have higher base ABI.
2) Only devolve at max level so as to get maximum ABI increases.
3) If you go for a Jogress Mega (Omegamon for example) only do it if the base Digimon already has max ABI. You won't be able to devolve afterwards without having to Jogress again.
3.1) Be careful of any other Jogress as well, if they can keep evolving fine, else see above.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geostomp posted:

Adventure 02 had its moments. It just needed to stop after the first round of DNA digivolutions. We get the Emperor, his fall, and redemption facing a real threat. After that, the story lost all direction, villains became jokes, and the characters stagnated.

After rewatching Adventure 99 my takeaway is that Adventure has always been a hodge-podge, the difference was that in 99 all the hodge-podgery was pointed in one direction because the series continuously had a major, central villain to hold the focus of the story. 99 is no less full of weird one-off instances of strangeness, bizarre digressions, and unfinished or confused little plotlines, it's just way less noticeable on the whole because the show continuously moves in one direction, that is towards beating whoever the bad guy of the current arc is.

Once 02 stops having a singular villain to organize all its storylines the plot goes straight to hell. Everything goes in every direction without rhyme or reason. I think Adventure was always like that to an extent, it just became way worse and way more obvious after Archnemon and Mummymon became jokes. Tri has something similar, every movie has a different antagonist or antagonistic force at the forefront and even ones that that recur are shown from strikingly different perspectives in every single movie. There's no cohesion to the gaggle of plotlines. Adventure has never been solidly "together", but 99 at the very least could get all its ducks in a row.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Habu has already said that a Story game will follow Survive but it won't be a Cyber Sleuth, Cyber Sleuth's story is over. The next Story will be an all-new setting, which honestly, I'm super pumped for because it'll probably rock, Habu's done wonders for the game side of Digimon to the point that it's the only one that isn't a constant disappointment lately, unlike the anime.

...Which will never stop feeling weird.

Oh, then hell yeah, I'm pumped too. I kinda forgot Survive was even a thing.

And yeah, it's some serious role reversal from the 90s.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

nine-gear crow posted:

Purple Matt with sleeves is hosed up. I don't like it.

:emptyquote:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheHan posted:

Chapter 6 is maybe a quarter of the way thru the game

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blaze Dragon posted:

A couple of tips on ABI increasing:
1) Digimon created at 200% scan data will have higher base ABI.
2) Only devolve at max level so as to get maximum ABI increases.
3) If you go for a Jogress Mega (Omegamon for example) only do it if the base Digimon already has max ABI. You won't be able to devolve afterwards without having to Jogress again.
3.1) Be careful of any other Jogress as well, if they can keep evolving fine, else see above.

Thanks for the tips! Even after finding where the tips are kept there wasn't anything about ABI, would've been disappointing to get to the endgame not knowing why I can't get Gallantmon.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Chapter 6 is maybe a quarter of the way thru the game

Good lord this game is long, Kyoko's dialogue alone could probably fill a World Mythologies textbook

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheHan posted:

Good lord this game is long, Kyoko's dialogue alone could probably fill a World Mythologies textbook

The fact that almost every scene with Kyoko turns into a stream of consciousness dialogue with her mixing urban legends, mythology, real history, faked history, fake history, science, junk science, debunked science, psuedo-science, and random observations about drat near everything is one of the reasons I love Cyber Sleuth. The game has a style and voice wholly its own and it's one of many reasons I adore it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

The fact that almost every scene with Kyoko turns into a stream of consciousness dialogue with her mixing urban legends, mythology, real history, faked history, fake history, science, junk science, debunked science, psuedo-science, and random observations about drat near everything is one of the reasons I love Cyber Sleuth. The game has a style and voice wholly its own and it's one of many reasons I adore it.
Sounds kind of like the Zero Escape series. At one point in 999, you're locked in a freezer at risk of death by hypothermia... and another character locked in with you spends a 10-15 minute tangent on explaining the pseudoscience of ice-9.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hot take: it may have sucked overall but when it was at its best, Tri was better than the majority of 02

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd call that a decent take. For me, most of 02 was just kind of forgettable. Meanwhile, I still remember the Rosemon & Vikemon scene as one of my favorites in quite a while. The first movie had some growing pains, but the second felt like it could have been the beginning of something really excellent, and I think the third one at least mostly held up that momentum.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I appreciate the second half of 02 for being shameless about ripping off Jessie and James.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Your boss being woman who forsook the tyranny of bras and buttoning shirts who rambles on at every opportunity while still being an effective detective was great. There was literally no subject she couldn’t find some way to turn into an opportunity for more long winded nonsense.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Hot take: it may have sucked overall but when it was at its best, Tri was better than the majority of 02

I don't disagree. The best part of Tri is better than most of 02 and honestly genuinely really good, the issue is that the rest of Tri is aggresively terrible and the good parts are not enough to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

I appreciate the second half of 02 for being shameless about ripping off Jessie and James.

Jessie, James, and Meowth are a shameless rip off of the Doronbo Gang from Time Bokan.

It's really more that that particular character archetype became common long before Mummymon and Archnemon ever showed up.