Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pradmer posted:

The Legend of Eli Monpress (first three novels compendium) by Rachel Aaron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ECNXU/

This is a bit weird, since it's a five-book series with a single overarching story arc and none of the books are really separable from the others. (They're good books, though.)

Not as weird as the omnibus edition of Cherryh's Chanur books, though, which also collected the first three books of a five-book series, but unlike Monpress it's a prologue and epilogue bracketing a very tightly paced trilogy, with each book of the trilogy picking up exactly where the previous one left off -- so it gives you the prologue and then the first two books of the main trilogy and cuts off practically in mid-conversation.

IIRC Cherryh ended up calling up the publisher and getting them to stop printing that edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The trilogy is a single book, cherryh was very unhappy it got broken up. The fifth one is actually p funny in its own gritty sci fi way

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I read Gideon finally. It was very fun and I look forward to seeing where Harrow goes. The meme things were fine and the only one that felt forced was the died on the way to her home planet but its forgiven for being a good reference.

some serious first novel syndrome though. way too many characters I could care less about, extremely uneven pacing, overwrought prose. like how many times do you need to tell me this guy has beautiful slate grey eyes. Muir just loves writing about eyes eh.

pretty interesting book in that the plot and writing were mediocre but the characters were interesting enough to keep it going.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If you can't stand authors writing about eyes, do NOT read Michelle Sagara's Cast in Shadow series because every non-human in the series has mood-ring eyes that the protagonist can use to figure out how angry they are. I love the series but it is also genuinely hilarious to be at a dramatic scene and Kaylin's all "his eyes are dark blue, oh no!"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Murderbot #4 is one of the Kindle daily deals today ($2.99).

The only one I haven't managed to grab off of a daily deal is #3, so I may finally read these.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

algebra testes posted:

A memory called empire question: book seems to drag like hell in the middle when she is stuck in the apartment, does it pick up again?
I recall the answer being yes.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
In addition to Exit Strategy (Murderbot #4) above;

The Player of Games (Culture #2) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WM3HC2/

Promise of Blood (Powder Mage #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092XHPIG/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I really enjoyed the Powder Mage Trilogy. Weird, fun, magical gun fantasy with cool rear end bullet bending.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I really enjoyed the Powder Mage Trilogy. Weird, fun, magical gun fantasy with cool rear end bullet bending.

:same:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Khizan posted:

Murderbot #4 is one of the Kindle daily deals today ($2.99).

The only one I haven't managed to grab off of a daily deal is #3, so I may finally read these.

You can get that tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/marthawells1/status/1235251682042433536

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

hell yeah baybeee

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Black Griffon posted:

There was a sequel trilogy, wasn't there? Anyone know if that was any good? Did it involve the same characters?

mewse
May 2, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

There was a sequel trilogy, wasn't there? Anyone know if that was any good? Did it involve the same characters?

I enjoyed it as well.

The primary characters are a bit different. Instead of Tamas / Taniel / Adamat it's Michel Bravis, Ben Styke, and Vlora Flint. Same world, though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Haven't gotten to the sequel trilogy yet, but it's high on my (ever growing, ever expanding) list.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It took me literal months but I just finished Hunter's Death! (by Michelle West) Here's an explanation of what that is and some rambling about it.

Hunter's Oath/Death is a duology and first in the author's mega-'verse: Essalieyan. It's an epic fantasy series with multiple sub-series and she's been contracted by DAW to write the final sequence in the 'verse so hopefully it'll have a proper ending.

Essalieyan universe quick guide:
Hunter's Oath/Death: start here, chronologically and publishing-wise they're the first, and introduce a bunch of important characters + places.
Sun Sword: six books, all of them 400-600+ pages, epic fantasy of immense scope. For some reason the first book starts with like a 70 page prologue about characters who apparently don't reappear in the first volume. I assume they will be relevant later.
House War: Eight books, the first three are set concurrent with Hunter's Death and before Sun Sword, the last five are after the Sun Sword.
Burning Crown: Projected to be four books, might grow to be more, will be the finale to the entire series.

The world is a fantasy world where the gods had their fun, then went back to the heavenly plane and only rarely mess with mortals now. Except that fantasy-Satan keeps trying to come back and make a mess of things. There are three big kingdoms: Essalieyan, Breodanir, and Annagar. Essa is the big titular kingdom where most of the plot happens - it has two kings, two queens, and then ten ruling houses who try to assassinate each other on the regular. Breodanir is a smaller wild kingdom where they worship the hunter god and once a year all the lords go on a sacred hunt where the god hunts one of them and eats him. Annagar is the Middle East, but south of Essa and ready to make war against it again.

Essa shows up everywhere, but Breo only gets focus in Hunter's Death/Oath and Annagar shows up in the Sun Sword with a LOT of focus.

Hunter's Oath/Death starts with a relatively small scope: the life of a hunt-brother, Stephen. He's adopted into a royal family to be brother to the Hunter Lord, and you get a close-up view on how that culture handles losing a lord every year, while also worshiping the hunt. Then the plot begins to kick off as demons start looking for a special hunting horn, as assassins show up, and a magical seer who lives her life in a random path through time begins to throw a wrench into everything. By the end of Oath everyone is on a trip to Essalieyan's capital, because that's where the heart of the demon plot is.

Hunter's Death is massive, and widens the scope so much it took me ages to get through it because it felt like the author decided midway through that she had a LOT more going on than originally planned for. And for the most part it works, but there are parts where I was all "who are these jerks" and had to plow through. You get introduced to Jewel, a street rat who will eventually become a major force as she joins one of the Houses that govern Essa (and apparently she has a big role in the House War series). You get introduced to more mages, more people, more places. Stephen and his brother never really lose the main focus, and the emotional heart of the book remains them, but suddenly you're spending way more time with Essalieyans and mages and such.

I would call these books primarily political intrigue, mystery, and some action. Plenty of magic. There's a ton of depth to the worldbuilding, and at points I felt I could compare them favorably to Tolkien's work - the depth of the histories, the way the magical intersects the mundane. I actually paused my Silmarillion readthrough because it made me want to read and finish Hunter's Death. To those of you not into romance: there's some, but it's never a focus and there's no sex on-screen.

Now, one caveat: the character of Kallandras. Kall's an ex-assassin bard who is basically the best bard to have ever lived, and he is a tragic snowflake. He shows up in both books and gets a decent amount of screentime because he is special and does special things. Saves Stephen's life, helps get important items to Gil, helps fight demons. I'd almost give him main character status - or at least on par with Elayne (the seer lady who lives weirdly through time) - except that for whatever reason, I just did not connect with him or feel it was his story. He felt too much like the author's pet, and remained that way through the entire duology. Oh, and he shows up early in the Sun Sword as well, because again, author's pet.

To be fair: he's not obnoxious, no one really loves him, his tragic past is interesting - it's just that I don't care for him. He's a little too special for my tastes. :shrug: I hope my distaste doesn't keep you from reading the books - I just needed to complain about him.

Phew! Okay, there. Books good. I can't believe I've been reading Hunter's Death for so long... it's wild to not have it next to me all the time. I'm hoping to start the Sun Sword soonish, but Silmarillion first.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

As prophesied by Fart of Presto,

Rogue Protocol (Murderbot #3) by Martha Wells - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756JSWGL/

Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/
I like Ancillary Justice, but I don't know anything about this one. Same universe it looks like.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah what the gently caress. murderbot #4 was $2.99 in Norway, #3 is still $9.99. What nonsense.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'm about 2/3rds through the first Darwath book and I'm liking it so far, I'm digging the more horror theme to things than you'd expect from the "a wizard abducts a historian and a biker from California to save the kingdom" setup.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've finally collected all the Murderbot novellas from Kindle sales and man. Murderbot's loving awesome.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finished the two Alistair Reynolds Revenger books. Very solid. I probably hadn't read a book of his since House of Suns ~ ten years ago, which seems to have been an oversight.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

gvibes posted:

Finished the two Alistair Reynolds Revenger books. Very solid. I probably hadn't read a book of his since House of Suns ~ ten years ago, which seems to have been an oversight.

I believe the third book was published about a month ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Vague, pretentious question: as I read the Silmarillion I want to read similar epic fantasy, but not LotR/Hobbit yet. So far I've only encountered two authors who give me the same sense of depth and majesty as Tolkien's works do: Janny Wurts and Michelle Sagara/West. In my opinion no other author hits the same beats without getting caught up in their own styles - too grounded, not grounded enough, not well-written enough, etc.

Here's the question: who writes the best Tolkien-esque fantasy? Please do not say Robert Jordan, he doesn't. Zelazny and Gene Wolfe also do not count. Is there anyone, or do I need to go back pre-Tolkien and read Eddison again?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

James Islington's recent trilogy gave me a bit of a Tolkein vibe, but I think you will probably find it falls short, worth a go though, I thought it was decent.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Off the top of my head, you might enjoy:

Le Guin's Earthsea books
Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy
Evangeline Walton's adaptations of the Mabinogion (Prince of Annwn et al)

and, of course, Dune, with the usual caveats.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Le Guin's Earthsea books
These are really good recommendations. Earthsea would make for an interesting companion piece: like with Tolkien's Christianity, Le Guin's fantasy is seeped in Daoism and it is fun to watch the differences in how characters interact with their worlds.

The other option would be to go for what inspired Tolkien himself - myths, sagas and the like are usually fun to read, they just don't all come pre-chewed like Walton's Mabinogion.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 6, 2020

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Artificial Condition (Murderbot #2) by Martha Wells - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DGHHQL/
Hopefully everyone who follows the thread now has the original murderbot quadrilogy.

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN8BQMD/
Uplifted spiders, generational cryosleep spaceship, and first contact. Very good book.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here's the question: who writes the best Tolkien-esque fantasy? Please do not say Robert Jordan, he doesn't. Zelazny and Gene Wolfe also do not count. Is there anyone, or do I need to go back pre-Tolkien and read Eddison again?

Comedy option: Dennis McKiernan. When I was a teenager and wanted more fellowship, dwarves, Moria, etc., The Iron Tower and The Silver Call were exactly what I wanted.

Serious answer: Lord Dunsany, not quite the same though, a bit more ethereal and folk-tale-like. I got into his books after seeing Neil Gaiman name drop him in The Sandman a lot.

Other than that I third the Earthsea trilogy.

Strix have you read Michelle Sagara's The Sundered books?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Carrier posted:

James Islington's recent trilogy gave me a bit of a Tolkein vibe, but I think you will probably find it falls short, worth a go though, I thought it was decent.

Unfortunately the premise of this set does very little for me, and the library doesn't have it. :(

Selachian posted:

Off the top of my head, you might enjoy:

Le Guin's Earthsea books
Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy

and, of course, Dune, with the usual caveats.

Le Guin is always at my "I should read that" list, but I never do get around to her. It doesn't help that I hated Earthsea 1 back when I read it in high school. I should try again. I've never heard of Riddle-master and it sounds oldschool in the best ways so I'll seek it out. And woah, I didn't know there was a "modern" retelling of the Mabinogion! Thank you!

bagrada posted:

Comedy option: Dennis McKiernan. When I was a teenager and wanted more fellowship, dwarves, Moria, etc., The Iron Tower and The Silver Call were exactly what I wanted.

Serious answer: Lord Dunsany, not quite the same though, a bit more ethereal and folk-tale-like. I got into his books after seeing Neil Gaiman name drop him in The Sandman a lot.

Other than that I third the Earthsea trilogy.

Strix have you read Michelle Sagara's The Sundered books?

Ha, I saw some of McKiernan's works in a local used bookstore and went "...wait. this is lotr." when reading the back.

I have an instinctual desire to avoid Lord Dunsany that I'm having trouble understanding as I've never read him and I know he's a huge influence. I should see what my library has of him - aha. Gods Men and Ghosts. Worth checking out.

I own the Sundered and haven't started them yet! I know they'll be rough as they were her first books, but they also sound extremely fun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I recently went through the Throne Of Glass series and actually enjoyed it quite a lot. How much of a taateless pleb does that make me?

The world is conceptualized very well and the political factions and individual characters feel interesting. Just a bit too much love stuff, especially in the first novel, which was honestly kinda awful compared to the rest. I'm sort of impressed how much the quality rose by the second or third book.

Overall the fantasy was a tad generic, though.
Does anyone else have some impressions of that series?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I like them! Not tasteless imo. Pretty much agree re: the trajectory of the series. A Court of Thorns and Roses felt pretty similar - real heavy on romance book 1, to the detriment of the rest of the story/scope, and then opens up after.

The series really left me wanting a book that focuses on the witch covens. I feel like the Manon stuff could so easily be it's own trilogy, and I 100% want more coven infighting and politics etc.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Question about Foreigner:

who does Bren actually shoot at the beginning? I can't tell if I'm having massive brain fart, or if it's never confirmed.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

pradmer posted:

Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/
I like Ancillary Justice, but I don't know anything about this one. Same universe it looks like.

Same universe, it explores the setting from a non-Radch perspective. It's a pretty fun story! Basically three mini-mysteries woven together.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

Watch Babylon 5. it's not fantasy, but it's an incredibly sincere homage to LotR. It's also chock full of all the stuff the creator thought was cool about LotR. Rangers. Their B5 equivalent is central to the story.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

who does Bren actually shoot at the beginning? I can't tell if I'm having massive brain fart, or if it's never confirmed.

iirc the conservatives who ilsidi is grouped with at the time got spooked by what you find out at the end (dunno if you've finished the book so i won't spoil it) and sent an asassin to merk him

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

foutre posted:

I like them! Not tasteless imo. Pretty much agree re: the trajectory of the series. A Court of Thorns and Roses felt pretty similar - real heavy on romance book 1, to the detriment of the rest of the story/scope, and then opens up after.

The series really left me wanting a book that focuses on the witch covens. I feel like the Manon stuff could so easily be it's own trilogy, and I 100% want more coven infighting and politics etc.

I agree about that. I am sort of glad the final book acknowledged in universe what a stupid name Lord Lorcan Lochan is. Some fantasy stories would just ignore that and act like that's normal.

I hadn't thought about that, but a prequel about Manon would be quite rad. I guess Manon would be a bit of an unthinking killing machine in the past, but there could be some glimpses of more there. Especially, if Asterin influences her.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

Doctor Jeep posted:

iirc the conservatives who ilsidi is grouped with at the time got spooked by what you find out at the end (dunno if you've finished the book so i won't spoil it) and sent an asassin to merk him

I don't recall that they're ever named either, just some assassin who's luck came up short that day.

Sadly the series doesn't seem to have Vorkosigan-grade obsessed fans that write detailed wiki articles about everything mentioned in the books.

Something really stupid that just jumped into mind:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Something really stupid that just jumped into mind:

:allears: Ilisidi.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Vague, pretentious question: as I read the Silmarillion I want to read similar epic fantasy, but not LotR/Hobbit yet. So far I've only encountered two authors who give me the same sense of depth and majesty as Tolkien's works do: Janny Wurts and Michelle Sagara/West. In my opinion no other author hits the same beats without getting caught up in their own styles - too grounded, not grounded enough, not well-written enough, etc.

Maybe check out Guy Gavriel Kay if you haven't already. He helped work on the Silmarillion back in the day - here's a Guardian interview.

I say this with reservations because his most 'Tolkien-ish epic fantasy' books are his first three novels, the Fionavar Tapestry, and while I loved them years ago I'm not sure whether they would hold up as well now.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Redshirts by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079XPUOW/

The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHJT92Q

Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L5PTZS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you’re looking for Silmarillion vibes Ken Liu’s The Grace of Kings felt similar to me in tone.