Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Maybe one day I'll watch this Wire you speak of

It’s a trick. Just look at a screencap. Everything is so dismal and washed out looking. Has like no production values other than probably heavy security so they could shoot in Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Despite most of them loving Homicide, The Wire was universally reviled by Baltimore's city politicians. There's a scene in season 3, I think, where the real life cop that G was based on cameos as a judge. The Monday after the episode aired he was summarily fired after 25+ years in the force.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Despite most of them loving Homicide, The Wire was universally reviled by Baltimore's city politicians. There's a scene in season 3, I think, where the real life cop that G was based on cameos as a judge. The Monday after the episode aired he was summarily fired after 25+ years in the force.

I can’t imagine why :allears:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

Also I was a sucker for the first 3 seasons of Downton Abbey (you know who left the show in season 3 and it became a pure soap), so I am sort of hyped for Fellowes' new Netflix series coming this month.

Season 2 had a loving amnesia plot line. The rest of the season was the characters were worried each week what's his name wasn't going to make it back from the war that weekend in time for the dinner party. You're fooling yourself if you think the show didn't become pure soap until season 4.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Dave on Hulu is pretty drat funny. I like Lil Dicky but I wasn't sure if a show about him would be good but it is hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alex Garland did an FX miniseries? How the hell did I miss that. Well, Devs is on Hulu. Guess I know what I’m watching this weekend.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Alex Garland did an FX miniseries? How the hell did I miss that. Well, Devs is on Hulu. Guess I know what I’m watching this weekend.

I love Ex Machina so I'm stoked to check this out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veni veni veni posted:

It's straight to streaming and just launched yesterday. I saw it advertised a bit but only on Hulu.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Field Mousepad posted:

Dave on Hulu is pretty drat funny. I like Lil Dicky but I wasn't sure if a show about him would be good but it is hilarious.

You've just reminded me of the sweetest and most awful politics movie ever made, 1993's Dave.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Freaks was really good. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It's a great take on the genre. What genre? Well that's a minor spoiler: Superheroes, or rather X-Men style mutants. I hadn't heard of it before, but the thumbnail on Netflix was of a girl standing in what looked like a post or ongoing apocalyptic road. It starts the subversion of expectations set by that early on when the outside world is revealed to be pretty ordinary outside of people being suspicious of "freaks", and a sinister ice cream man. It's a movie that keeps you on your toes about who the villains and heroes are.

A little past the half-way mark it becomes clear that the movie isn't going to have a clean ending, but it left me wanting more, because there's a lot of worldbuilding. Bigger spoilers from here out: The use of powers was a good change from the usual "realistic superpowers" media. No one really outright says what their powers can and can't do, they just do them. The less explained, the better. The little girl doesn't know what's normal and what's not, but she knows to repeat the lies her father told her to parrot. As a father, I thought it was a great way of showing how a child's thoughts are formed by their little bubble of experience with the world, what they see their parents do, and what their parents tell them. It's only when you see them interact with the outside world that you realize what kind of person you're making.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 2 had a loving amnesia plot line. The rest of the season was the characters were worried each week what's his name wasn't going to make it back from the war that weekend in time for the dinner party. You're fooling yourself if you think the show didn't become pure soap until season 4.

OMG it did. I guess I just honestly kind of liked the show until the big death in season 3. Also I now remember how stupid the Bates story with the murder stuff. I guess selective memory by me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

OMG it did. I guess I just honestly kind of liked the show until the big death in season 3. Also I now remember how stupid the Bates story with the murder stuff. I guess selective memory by me.

Haha, yeah, I loved season 1, I think I watched it twice in one weekend. So I was shocked at how quickly the quality went down hill as the show went on.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wasn't season 1 basically just Gosford Park if you made the overlapping dialog sequential? Been a while since I've seen it, but I thought I remember that explaining why it went downhill immediately afterwards.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sorceress on Prime is loving great

yes, there are titties

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yes, there are titties

Is there a truck though?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yes, there are titties

Is it really "great", or more "I got nothing left to watch" great?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

It's basically a live action Heavy Metal, though purely fantasy instead of scifi. "So bad it's good" in a way only 80s movies could be.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's basically a live action Heavy Metal, though purely fantasy instead of scifi. "So bad it's good" in a way only 80s movies could be.

Your description sold it more than the trailer did. I'll check it out, been in an 80s mood lately.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BisterdDave posted:

It's the last movie directed by Jack Hill (Switchblade Sisters). It's definitely fun.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

precision posted:

It's the last movie directed by Jack Hill (Switchblade Sisters). It's definitely fun.

Never heard of Hill or his movies before, so I guess this will be my entry.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The new Castlevania season is good so far

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What movies would you compare the Castlevania show to?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Reading the description of Sorceress and its twin barbarian women reminded me of the existence of The Barbarians and its twin barbarian dudes, a movie I saw on Cinemax like thirty years ago when I was a little kid.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 7, 2020

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

Reading the description of Sorceress and its twin barbarian women reminded me of the existence of The Barbarians and its twin barbarian dudes, a movie I saw on Cinemax like thirty years ago when I was a little kid.

They are about the same level of story telling, humor, special effects, and exposed skin.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

First episode of Devs was so goddamn good. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rewatching Marco Polo and mad all over again that we'll never get the Prester John season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

What movies would you compare the Castlevania show to?

It's sort of like if Hammer Dracula, Flesh + Blood and Ninja Scroll got thrown in a blender.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

First episode of Devs was so goddamn good. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Sweet, can't wait to watch this. Alex Garland is such an underrated talent.

Does "Devs" stand for Developers or something? Almost sounds like the name for a Silicon Valley-esque show, although I'm sure it ain't anything like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Sweet, can't wait to watch this. Alex Garland is such an underrated talent.

Does "Devs" stand for Developers or something? Almost sounds like the name for a Silicon Valley-esque show, although I'm sure it ain't anything like that.

It's exactly like that

But better

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

precision posted:

Switchblade Sisters.

Alright im sold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know one-person shows are often... not great... but Don't Ask Don't Tell is fantastic. He interviewed a bunch of current and ex military and just acts out their words, very entertaining, sometimes funny, often sad. He even interviewed the guy who came up with the entire notion of "don't ask, don't tell".

It's on Tubi, which is a free streaming site/app that's actually good, very minimal commercials and it has a ton of really great movies and shows. Might be on Prime or something too

"I don't mean to imply the marine Corp is a hotbed of homosexual activity... but it is."

precision fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 8, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’m a Marine veteran, and the Marines might be the most homoerotic organization that currently exists. Nothing like being attacked by your fellow Marines, and dried hump in a group gang bang not of your choosing. I remember a bunch of Marines at 8th & I (Washington DC) got busted for holding down new Marines and painting their balls. I had to attend a seminar on not painting the balls of others and hazing because of it. These stories go on and on.

That said I was in when ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ was passed (which means when I joined I was asked the question). So any gay activity was on the real download. It was so bad that you could be busted down in rank for just visiting a gay club.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yesterday is up on HBO now. It's pretty enjoyable but also sappy as all hell. Danny Boyle is losing me a bit in these recent years. He a real talent, but he's getting a little twee for my tastes.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Was trainspotting 2 worth anything?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

beanieson posted:

Man I just felt that was a movie that never needed a sequel.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

beanieson posted:

I was wondering this myself

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Seems like it reviewed well, it’s like 81% on RT, but yeah I don’t know that those characters need more exploration 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d forgotten it was released till just now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I enjoyed it as a huge fan of the original. I wouldn't call it "good", but it was kind of cool to see how Renton's life had gone and how he completely would gently caress it up.

Seems like more a movie for the cast than anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Works posted:

Man I just felt that was a movie that never needed a sequel.

Yup. I hear it's good but I just couldn't bring myself to care about a sequel. Still haven't watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
T2 Trainspotting absolutely lives up to the original, exceeds it, and is a fuckin perfect return to and wrap up of those characters. It's really really fuckin good, for real.

It's also way, way loving better than the real unnecessary thing, which is The Knife Artist in which Begbie, for no coherent reason, becomes a famous sculpture artist in LA with a hot American wife and his favorite album is Chinese Democracy

I'm not making one word of that up