Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Statistically, there's going to be some people playing The Final Fantasy 7 Remake who genuinely won't know that Aeris dies. I would love to see their reactions.

It's not even the games biggest spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly I don't know if people would care that much these days. 'Major game character/love interest dying' isn't really a mind blowing concept in TYOOL 2020.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It also doesn't stop it being a powerful moment. Hell, knowing that it is coming can make a scene even heavier.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sneak Lemming posted:

I find it funny how the biggest plot twist in VII is basically overshadowed by an early game shocker, which allows it to continue being an effective twist. Unless you played Crisis Core before VII. :v:

That said, it really is a great scene. The part where Cloud takes off his helmet and the World Map theme starts playing, getting to the triumphant swell right as he throws Sephiroth into the Shadow Realm is easily the best scene in the game, bar none.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It also doesn't stop it being a powerful moment. Hell, knowing that it is coming can make a scene even heavier.

Pretty much this. We're used to movies spoilering themselves in their own trailers and a good way to deal with it is lean on the inevitability of it. Its very difficult to genuinely surprise a shitload of people in the nerd age of smug instant knowledge.

FF7 is pretty hard to spoiler because anyone who played it knows every goddamn detail of it and anyone who didn't will slip into a coma when someone starts explaining it to them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sneak Lemming posted:

I know. It's probably the most well known spoiler in the entire franchise, if not, the entire medium of video games. Which is why someone not knowing about her death is something I'd love to see a reaction video of.

Granted, it's been 22 years since the original. A person born the year it came out is old enough to buy cigarettes in the US. So it'll be interesting to see how the younger folk take to the remake too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

wit posted:

Pretty much this. We're used to movies spoilering themselves in their own trailers

This is why I now only watch the first trailer for any movie I'm interested in. They almost to the point that the trailer IS the entire movie.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I find it funny how the biggest plot twist in VII is basically overshadowed by an early game shocker, which allows it to continue being an effective twist. Unless you played Crisis Core before VII. :v:

That said, it really is a great scene. The part where Cloud takes off his helmet and the World Map theme starts playing, getting to the triumphant swell right as he throws Sephiroth into the Shadow Realm is easily the best scene in the game, bar none.

just realized Cloud DID come to save Tifa like he promised..... he's a good kid

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
From a gameplay perspective, losing Aeris in the original was a big deal especially if you spent the time using her.

In an episodic format, it really doesnt mean much. You'll get her for the entirety of a 40+ hour game and then have to presumably wait a few years to play the next episode where she will presumably die at the end of another 40 hours. She then just wouldnt be playable in future episodes.

Its going to 'feel' different.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Re-reading the lp and got to this post:

Elentor posted:

I can speak only for Rio:

Almost every woman I know is bisexual "for fun" and they're very open about that and no one cares, hell not even them. I have a friend who's 26 whose mother just bought her a dildo because she's been "datin too many chicks lately". There are lesbian couples in my building, no one cares and they have their normal jobs even though one of them fits every dyke stereotype you can conceive. There are lesbian couples in pop culture and except for the conservative old people they're well accepted, specially among the younger generations.

To quote a lesbian friend of mine "we can kiss in public and no one will find it disgusting". I think gay couples have it a bit harder but, again, with one exception I have never seen a gay man or woman complaining. There are gays and lesbians everywhere and bis are by no means a minority in this city, mind that. It is HIGHLY immoral and illegal to show any kind of disrespect towards the sexual orientation of others. In the last course I was attending there was a gay and a lesbian teacher, both very open about that. No one made jokes about it, no one talked about it, and the woman was a class favorite. She was much older than us and she happened to complain a bit about people being disrespectful back then, but the current generation have it much easier.

One of the most beloved singers was a lesbian called Cássia Eller. When she died and her wife didn't get custody of her son, there was a loving public outcry about it. It was major. Today gays/lesbians have the same marriage rights as heterosexual people.

As for women expected to being pure and innocent, that's bullcrap. Maybe it wasn't 40 years ago, but I don't know anyone who expects women or men to be pure and innocent here. Maybe their grandparents? I did high school in a nun school and I would hear the girls counting on Monday how many guys they had kissed in the weekend - 10, 20, 30, and during events called 'micaretas' that number would go as high as 100, God knows what protected those people from herpes. Point is that anyone who didn't do that was the exception, not the rule, and you grow up used to that.

These are the people - mind that - who are more or less shocked by today's youth and who are conservative by today's standards. There was a law some time ago that forced public schools to distribute condoms around because pregnancy was getting crazy common. During carnival it's impossible not to get laid unless you're trying really hard, I don't even like or go to the events and there was two ladies flirting with me, and since I was single I ended up having a nice time with one of them. Spending your carnival with just one partner is being more than conservative.

Even if you want a lot of privacy you can go to a swing club, or to one of those raves with 'dark rooms' where you can pick up someone random and go there have sex.

Talking of Dark Rooms, hell, there was this party in São Paulo called 'Pirigóticas'. I'm not sure if you got it from the name, but it's a goth party. Free pass to women if they are not wearing panties, and the dancefloor was ALSO the dark room, so you could go there to dance or to have goth sex... all in the same place. The whole place is still nothing compared to the funk parties in Rio, mind that.

Honestly, as far as sexual freedom go, I'm not sure what would constitute as more free than that. I simply don't know a single person who holds those beliefs (that women are expected to be pure and innocent), at least not in Rio. As long as the person is nice and likes you, that's all that matters.

Culture varies greatly from region to region, state to state, mind that. I'm pretty sure the folk in the far north and south are more conservative, but I honestly have no idea how much is that. I also can't say for everyone in Rio, I'm saying these things based on what I've seen, and the experiences of the people I know.

As for sexually transgressive, I think it depends on what you consider sexually transgressive. There's a mind-numbingly high amount of transvestites in Rio. They're extremely common but by no means they're well accepted in society. But this talk is reserved to the Wall Mart Bugs & Bytes.

And oof, it's tragic how things can change so fast.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, yeah, a bunch of things that I wrote are no longer true. Our country has gotten extremely conservative over the past years. Extremely.

My building went from "no one cares" to said lesbian couple moving out and one of the new doormen really disliking me just for who I am, to the point where he got scolded by the others just because of how disrespectful was the way he looked at me.

The openly bi people I knew went to pretending to being straight. And some of my L friends who don't want to change their style just share tips on which companies are accepting while realizing that their progressiveness comes at paying a lot less. It's humiliating.

As for me I've been unemployed for a while so hoozah. I'm living on whatever savings I had.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 7, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Elentor posted:

Oh, yeah, a bunch of things that I wrote are no longer true. Our country has gotten extremely conservative over the past years. Extremely.

My building went from "no one cares" to said lesbian couple moving out and one of the new doormen really disliking me just for who I am, to the point where he got scolded by the others just because of how disrespectful was the way he looked at me.

The openly bi people I knew went to pretending to being straight. And some of my L friends who don't want to change their style just share tips on which companies are accepting while realizing that their progressiveness comes at paying a lot less. It's humiliating.

As for me I've been unemployed for a while so hoozah.

Jesus that's depressing.

But hey, I'm also unemployed and depressed, so that's a bit of solidarity there.

Edit: I mean, that was only 9 years ago. How the gently caress did we get here. :smith:

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 7, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jesus that's depressing.

But hey, I'm also unemployed and depressed, so that's a bit of solidarity there.

Edit: I mean, that was only 9 years ago. How the gently caress did we get here. :smith:

The planet’s dyin’, Choc :smith:

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I haven't seen this before, and the upload date was yesterday so it very well may be new. Check out these chibi models you can mod into FF7.

I've been using the cel-shaded looking ones from the same page, but might switch over to these for the field models. Doesn't seem like this is in 7th Heaven 2.0, though, so I have no idea how to do it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/4/?tab=description

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 7, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I'm not sure, it looks kinda off, but perhaps I'm just a purist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Good poo poo.

How are you doing that jumping air dash right at the beginning of phase 2?

Not my playthrough (I don't even own a PS4, I'm just living vicariously through others right now) I think you can do it by hitting the attack button, or holding it. Since there's a certain amount of Dash that Cloud will do to get towards his opponents with his attacks

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HD DAD posted:

The planet’s dyin’, Choc :smith:

Hopefully Earth sends some Weapons to deal with our problems.

Sorry to hear Elentor 😢

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music

Elentor posted:

As for me I've been unemployed for a while so hoozah. I'm living on whatever savings I had.
That's a huge bummer.

Your original LP meant a lot to a lot of people. I'm sorry things are hard, I hope that it lifts you up to remember that some people really think you're a hero.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Let's all have a big hug like we were in Cosmo Canyon.

Edit: I,ve now reached the part of the lp where everyone keeps talking about how if FFVII was remade they remove or tone down the entire Wall Market section.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 8, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Sorry to hear Elentor 😢

Corona Weapon isn't too bad if you pack Esuna.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's all have a big hug like we were in Cosmo Canyon.

Edit: I,ve now reached the part of the lp where everyone keeps talking about how if FFVII was remade they remove or tone down the entire Wall Market section.

and then it turned out they toned it up

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3U8jfJnkfw

Christ taken down to 2:22. Are they actually going to crack 2:20?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blockhouse posted:

and then it turned out they toned it up

The Honeybee Inn somehow got even more fabulous, and it’s better for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Onmi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3U8jfJnkfw

Christ taken down to 2:22. Are they actually going to crack 2:20?

This might be the first FF game that's legit fun to watch someone speedrun

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

yup. it gets overlooked and im not really sure i even noticed it until one of my subsequent playthroughs but that's become one of my favorite moments in the series.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

HD DAD posted:

The Honeybee Inn somehow got even more fabulous, and it’s better for it.

I think it's too early to say this, but what've shown has me very hopeful!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
drat I didn't know you can unlock Tifa as a playable character!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0nOfgal7c

This remake remake is pretty mind blowing. It came out 6 months ago?!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zero VGS posted:

drat I didn't know you can unlock Tifa as a playable character!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0nOfgal7c

This remake remake is pretty mind blowing. It came out 6 months ago?!

That's goddamn sorcery :stare:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Speaking of that, it's bit of a bummer that there's essentially only 4 playable characters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow, I just watched the flashbacks that were cut from the demo and goddamn Nibelheim looks amazing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If they add more JENOVA fights, what names will they have. JENOVA Afterbrth?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Jenova Abortion

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Jenova Rotting Corpse
Jenova Skeleton
Jenova Fossil

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Jenova Plan B

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RC Cola posted:

Sorry to hear Elentor 😢

Thanks for the kind words y'all.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

I haven't seen this before, and the upload date was yesterday so it very well may be new. Check out these chibi models you can mod into FF7.

I've been using the cel-shaded looking ones from the same page, but might switch over to these for the field models. Doesn't seem like this is in 7th Heaven 2.0, though, so I have no idea how to do it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/4/?tab=description

If there ever was a FFVII remaster doing it in FFVI style chibi models would make a lot of sense.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

If they add more JENOVA fights, what names will they have. JENOVA Afterbrth?

jenova adolescence

jenova middle age

jenova retirement

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If they pronounce it Jee-NO-vah I'm out!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cock hero flux posted:

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control

What if you're in your 30s and people still ask for your ID

I put on braces recently and after the fact, upon my next consult the receptionist called me in and wanted to double-check that my age wasn't input incorrectly in the system and after I said it was correct, she then asked to double check my identity.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

precision posted:

If they pronounce it Jee-NO-vah I'm out!

...How else would you say it?