Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

BobHoward posted:

not exactly surprising that lesswrongers would be bitcoiners

It's not so much, using bitcoin, as it is, how bitcoin relates to archivism.

i.e. I've never seen it talked of in archivist spaces before. Ever.

Because a cryptographic blockchain currency has nothing to do with archivism!

He mentions archives being 'cryptographically timestamped using blockchain' which uhh. Sounds like a fundamental misuse of the bitcoin format tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
oh is gwern a lesswronger? that makes perfect sense lol

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
jamesblonde 18 hours ago [-]

A few medicines of note here: Ace inhibitors are a well known treatment that reduces blood pressure.
However, there are two different types of medicine undergoing clinical trials: Lopinavir/Ritonavir (tradename KALETRA) - a HIV medicine has shown promise and chloroquine - a 60+ year old anti-malaria medicine

Personally, i ordered chloroquine - well known safety profile. I won't wait for docs to discuss prescribing it if i get any symptoms. I may even take it for preventative use. I also have sequenced my DNA (full genome), and checked if I have any mutations that are know to increase production of ACE2 - increasing susceptibility to acquiring covid-19:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0147-1

:eyepop:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I’m planning on microdosing my own farts. 3 nanohuffs a day should keep me safe from coronavirus

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

jamesblonde 18 hours ago [-]

A few medicines of note here: Ace inhibitors are a well known treatment that reduces blood pressure.
However, there are two different types of medicine undergoing clinical trials: Lopinavir/Ritonavir (tradename KALETRA) - a HIV medicine has shown promise and chloroquine - a 60+ year old anti-malaria medicine

Personally, i ordered chloroquine - well known safety profile. I won't wait for docs to discuss prescribing it if i get any symptoms. I may even take it for preventative use. I also have sequenced my DNA (full genome), and checked if I have any mutations that are know to increase production of ACE2 - increasing susceptibility to acquiring covid-19:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0147-1

:eyepop:

chloroquine, eh? https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2016/02/10/the-chloroquine-story-in-cancer-continues

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

alexandriao posted:

It's not so much, using bitcoin, as it is, how bitcoin relates to archivism.

i.e. I've never seen it talked of in archivist spaces before. Ever.

Because a cryptographic blockchain currency has nothing to do with archivism!

He mentions archives being 'cryptographically timestamped using blockchain' which uhh. Sounds like a fundamental misuse of the bitcoin format tbh

you gotta damage your brain (by sleeping in a room heated to sauna temps by mining rigs lol) and think like a coiner to understand the connection

see, if you believe in the power of Blockchain, it and it alone is how you solve any problem related to public trust

so in this case, presumably on every creation of an archive entry, you’d store its crypto hash in a blockchain, perhaps (your favored fork of) Bitcoin itself. any time someone needs to decide if the copy of that archive data they just downloaded has been tampered with, they can hash it and compare with the hash stored in the blockchain

bitscoins and blockschains aren’t just about currency, see. blocks can contain arbitrary data payloads, not just currency ledger information. bitcoiners think that it’s great to mix your currency ledger with a public DB that anyone in the world can write to

why you need this and what problem it solves that isn’t better solved without using a blockchain is an exercise left to the reader

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
eBay bans sales of face masks and hand sanitizers to combat price gouging

koolba 3 minutes ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: eBay bans sales of face masks and hand sanitizers ...

This would a great time to launch an eBay competitor.

===

seibelj 1 minute ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: eBay bans sales of face masks and hand sanitizers ...

The best thing that can happen in an emergency is to let sellers increase prices. When gas is scarce, let the price of gas go up. This signals to people that they should carefully ration the supplies that exist, and only let the people willing to pay the most get it. Supply and demand solves the problem itself.

When you arbitrarily constrain prices, you make people wait in lines and clever entrepreneurs stock up to sell at inflated rates on the black market. Terrible policy!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
H8crilA 14 minutes ago [-]

So they jacked up the prices from high (few people can buy) to infinity (nobody can buy). How's that a good thing?

threeseed 12 minutes ago [-]

Simple. People shouldn't profit from misery.

gruez 6 minutes ago [-]

Arms companies (aka defense contractors) profit from war, should they not exist? What about pharmaceutical companies that profit from sickness?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
you're so close

e: keep on eye on that thread it's peak hn

Xik fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 7, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Xik posted:

gruez 6 minutes ago [-]

Arms companies (aka defense contractors) profit from war, should they not exist?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
:chloe:

edit: hmm yes, arms dealers are definitely the people I want to use as my example of why people should be able to profit off death

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
With no prospects for profits, big pharma neglects new infectious diseases
===

refurb 35 minutes ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: With no prospects for profits, big pharma neglects...

What's needed is a new payment model for anti-infectives. This already happens at a small scale with grants from institutions like BARDA. The DOD of also does this for vaccines for biological weapons like anthrax where there is a high likelihood the drug will never be used, but a vaccine is needed because if there is an outbreak, the consequences are severe.

Basically, rather than paying for drugs on a per unit basis, you pay a lump sum for access to the drug. This solves the issues of spending $100M to develop a new treatment for some disease where there is never a outbreak and you cover none of the cost of R&D.

There have been ideas to have X-Prizes for new antibiotics. Discover a new drug for a anti-biotic resistant infection? Great, here is $500M as long as you agree to produce as much drug as needed for free or some nominal cost.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
love the elegance of markets, nothing can possibly be as elegant and therefore they must always rule supreme

people dying is just the market providing signal

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only there was some way you could just give people money to develop drugs, but I guess that would be communism and we can't have that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Myrmornis 38 minutes ago

There’s nothing in the article that indicates that cooperating with the enquiry would have been problematic (he appears to have a physical appearance that wouldn’t trigger race-based police prejudices). I do mistrust US police in general, but it must be a bit annoying for them for every good faith investigation direction to be treated adversarially like this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
donatj 2 hours ago [-]

> nothing ever good comes from adds

That's a weird and provably false belief. I have found many goods and services that have vastly improved my life via ads.

I have a beautiful very large framed print of a schematic of the ship from The Life Aquatic in my office I admire several times a day I bought from a Facebook ad.

It is something I likely never would have searched for myself but something that has vastly improved my general mood. Any time I'm frustrated, I glance up at the details of the ship. It helps me find center.

My life is improved, through advertising.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
“This garbage I would have never bought without it being pushed on me subliminally totally makes me happy”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lancemantis posted:

love the elegance of markets, nothing can possibly be as elegant and therefore they must always rule supreme

people dying is just the market providing signal

love the way free market people discuss concepts like how the trade war is destroying farmers and the free market people are like it’s fine it’ll be worth it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did it destroy noted gentleman farmer diseased moo cow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its the US which is destroying farmers

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what is a farmer rly sometimes they work in offices

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

so-called "farmers":

* 89% own a refrigerator
* 78% own multiple televisions

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
the farmer and the codeman can be friends

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Neon Noodle posted:

the farmer and the codeman can be friends

Ukrainian tractor jailbreaking

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

dcolkitt 3 hours ago | undown | parent | flag | favorite | on: Bill Gates has stepped down from Microsoft's board

The optimist in me wants to believe that this means he's about to be appointed as the head of the national coronavirus response.
There's probably no better qualified person in the world to manage the coordinated effort.

tuna-piano 2 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Bill Gates has stepped down from Microsoft's board

1. Bill Gates is extremely competitive, he's a bulldog, he fights and wants to win against whatever. He built Microsoft into a Monopoly and is fighting hard (and doing a great job) against diseases.
2. Bill Gates looks at problems logically, finds missing links, and solves those links. Whether that is refrigeration for vaccines, getting useful data for diseases, etc.
3. Bill Gates knows a ton about diseases, epidemics, etc. He's super curious and doesn't stop learning.
Who could be more qualified for the job?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
4. Bill Gates's eyes are portals to a dimension of pure force, giving him the ability to blast infected zones.

5. Bill Gates is so strong that he could probably beat up my dad. No way he'd get Corona virus

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

4. Bill Gates's eyes are portals to a dimension of pure force, giving him the ability to blast infected zones.

big if true

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bill gates spent millions on pointless a mosquito killing robot nobody really needs while having the wealth to bring clean water and sanitation to large parts of the world.

like you know they tell you to wash your hands frequently.. how is that solution going to work out in places that have no access to clean water?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wasn’t the mosquito thing like a DARPA project too?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

looking at the bill and melinda gates foundation wiki page shows that they have actually dropped like 21 billion over 10 years on what appear to be necessary things but then you scroll down and

quote:

The foundation trust invests undistributed assets, with the exclusive goal of maximizing the return on investment. As a result, its investments include companies that have been criticized for worsening poverty in the same developing countries where the foundation is attempting to relieve poverty.[80][165] These include companies that pollute heavily and pharmaceutical companies that do not sell into the developing world.[166] In response to press criticism, the foundation announced in 2007 a review of its investments to assess social responsibility.[167] It subsequently canceled the review and stood by its policy of investing for maximum return, while using voting rights to influence company practices.[168][169]

Critics have called on the Gates Foundation to divest from the GEO Group, the second-largest private prison corporation in the United States. A large part of the prison's work involves incarcerating and detaining migrants that have been detained by the Obama administration and now the Trump administration.[170][171][172] In spring 2014 the Gates Foundation acknowledged its $2.2 million investment in the prison corporation.[173] It has more recently rebuffed critics' request that it sever investment ties with the prison corporation. It has refused to comment on whether it is continuing its investments.[170][174]

i guess the game is once again to invest and make money from horrible and despicable stuff, and then drop some of the gains to charitable causes to keep up appearances

and someone had a good point - even though billg has donated so much of his wealth somehow he is now richer than when he decided to get into charity. magic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Penisface posted:

looking at the bill and melinda gates foundation wiki page shows that they have actually dropped like 21 billion over 10 years on what appear to be necessary things but then you scroll down and

i guess the game is once again to invest and make money from horrible and despicable stuff, and then drop some of the gains to charitable causes to keep up appearances

and someone had a good point - even though billg has donated so much of his wealth somehow he is now richer than when he decided to get into charity. magic

all billionaires are bad

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

From a coronavirus thread that turned into a UBI thread

quote:

champagneben 2 hours ago [-]

One of the interesting questions would be how much a basic income would affect people's willingness to work, and we would not be getting that out of this experiment. In fact, I can't imagine anything useful we'd be getting out of that experiment, except for its effects in similar very dramatic circumstances.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i've noticed n-gate using the yospos "computer touchers" vernacular more often

reveal yourself

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
he has an account but doesn't post anymore and i don't think he reads yospos

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

quote:

Ask HN: Can aquarium UV lights be used to kill coronavirus?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Firm wielding Theranos patents asks judge to block coronavirus test

quote:

ruez 1 minute ago [-]

Do you really want to set a precedent that (intellectual) property rights are suspended in times of crisis? Maybe I have a great idea for curing coronavirus infections, but now I don't want to pour money into to r&d for it because I know that the government won't uphold my patents next time a coronavirus epidemic rolls around.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

jeherr 12 minutes ago [-]

People ordering off of Amazon prevents them from having to go to brick and mortar stores where they could also spread or catch the virus. This includes the elderly who are in the highest risk groups for the disease. Most if not all Amazon warehouse workers are significantly less likely to be in high risk groups, meaning they are much more likely to have milder symptoms if they do catch it.
Sure it sucks for those who work for Amazon, ideally they should be given a choice, but people are not going to stop buying things if Amazon is way behind and orders are looking at a week or two shipment time. They'll go out in public to stores full of other people. This seems like the lesser evil of two bad options to me.

nkassis 15 minutes ago [-]

What's worse, stores having mass of people going in and out or a restricted set of workers they can try to keep apart?
Right now, yes those workers are at greater danger than not working (and maybe they deserve extra pay here) but I would argue that for the public good Amazon better than in person stores at the moment.

burnte 16 minutes ago [-]

Yes, the time-and-a-half overtime paid worker.

btmiller 21 minutes ago [-]

And what exactly is the alternative in this very specific example?

===

fuck_the_poor.txt

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Firm wielding Theranos patents asks judge to block coronavirus test

Do you really want to set a precedent that (intellectual) property rights are suspended in times of crisis? 

I think that I do, op

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
hn thread: ideally they should be given a choice, but...

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oneiros posted:

jeherr 12 minutes ago [-]

People ordering off of Amazon prevents them from having to go to brick and mortar stores where they could also spread or catch the virus. This includes the elderly who are in the highest risk groups for the disease. Most if not all Amazon warehouse workers are significantly less likely to be in high risk groups, meaning they are much more likely to have milder symptoms if they do catch it.
Sure it sucks for those who work for Amazon, ideally they should be given a choice, but people are not going to stop buying things if Amazon is way behind and orders are looking at a week or two shipment time. They'll go out in public to stores full of other people. This seems like the lesser evil of two bad options to me.

nkassis 15 minutes ago [-]

What's worse, stores having mass of people going in and out or a restricted set of workers they can try to keep apart?
Right now, yes those workers are at greater danger than not working (and maybe they deserve extra pay here) but I would argue that for the public good Amazon better than in person stores at the moment.

burnte 16 minutes ago [-]

Yes, the time-and-a-half overtime paid worker.

btmiller 21 minutes ago [-]

And what exactly is the alternative in this very specific example?

===

fuck_the_poor.txt

Lol yes they’ll have milder symptoms so they’ll still come in and then ship it to the grandparents you were totally sticking up for and not just using as a sympathetic stand in for your unwillingness to have a break in your mindless online consumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and none of the line workers will have depressed immune systems from being overworked