Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

night slime posted:

Kojima saying he wants to bring back photo contests:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1235126989800919040

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1235121510890655744

Wonder if the photo mode will have stuff like that. Probably the easiest way to add new content really, no real new assets required. Can't wait to take my picture with an invisible floating Godzilla DVD.

Yeah the MGS pictures were these ghost faces that came up if you took pictures of posters on the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXV had community photo contests and the winning photos would show up in the game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Dragon Quest Builders 2 shows community contest photo winners during the initial load, it's pretty great

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Is that photo mode gonna be PC only, or will the ps4 release get some o that?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
As much as I loved going through it, photo mode is pretty much the only thing that would get me to replay the game right now so I'm guessing no it won't come to PS4.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't played this game since like December. Am I going to have to repair all my ziplines or does it only degrade when you are playing?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

marktheando posted:

I haven't played this game since like December. Am I going to have to repair all my ziplines or does it only degrade when you are playing?

Only when you're playing, and only really when you advance time by resting in your room.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

marktheando posted:

My Zipline and road network is still pretty much ok. Keep on keepin on

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Excellent. I feel like delivering some poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I too am in dire need of some of that sweet oxytocin

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I'm probably not going to go back to this, but was just wondering if it is actually possible for roads to deteriorate? My ziplines are starting to rust away, but the roads are as good as the day they were made.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

I'm probably not going to go back to this, but was just wondering if it is actually possible for roads to deteriorate? My ziplines are starting to rust away, but the roads are as good as the day they were made.

They can but they’re ridiculously durable.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gambrinus posted:

They have durability, but I’ve never even seen if they have a damaged state— since they exist by definition in everyone’s game, pumping mats into ones that are damaged at all are a quick and easy way to get likes.

You’d have to disconnect and I guess just sleep repeatedly to pass time to see if they ever actual degenerate appreciably or not

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Just to be sure, once I’m in the post game there’s no need for me to ever go out west past the Geologist and I can just dismantle my zip network out there to save on bandwidth?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a very good reason: flying through the turbulent snow like you’re freaking Superman

night slime
May 14, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Just to be sure, once I’m in the post game there’s no need for me to ever go out west past the Geologist and I can just dismantle my zip network out there to save on bandwidth?

5-Starring the evo dev biologist gets you a new weapon. If you mean the general area you go down to get to Edge Knot City (last area) then no there´s nothing there and Aaron Hill has a regenerating safehouse there that you can teleport to anyway if you ever want to explore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Only when you're playing, and only really when you advance time by resting in your room.

i am about 99.9% positive this is not true. after not playing for two weeks recently i had a shitload of notifications about zip lines that were deteriorating.

night slime
May 14, 2014
They might have been about other ones that get put in your game. It's hard to know definitively but I had some random zero-like ziplines surviving after a month or so of not playing. Also I get notifications for random safehouses, and I only ever made a single one outside Heartman's that never deteriorated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I had a ladder deteriorate in front of me once, they just kinda crumble into rust particles like when you despawn them and then they're just gone. Looks like non-electronic structures like ladders just poof out of existence, and electronic stuff like timefall shelters will shut down and stop working for a bit and then despawn. And yeah, I think other people's stuff will deteriorate while you're not playing, but YOUR stuff only deteriorates when you pass time in the game world.

edit: With the exception of highway roads, which I am almost certain are running on their own completely separate system where it's a massive pool of everyone's contributions keeping them alive. Roads deteriorate so slowly that I don't think they will ever break.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 5, 2020

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CJacobs posted:

I had a ladder deteriorate in front of me once, they just kinda crumble into rust particles like when you despawn them and then they're just gone. Looks like non-electronic structures like ladders just poof out of existence, and electronic stuff like timefall shelters will shut down and stop working for a bit and then despawn. And yeah, I think other people's stuff will deteriorate while you're not playing, but YOUR stuff only deteriorates when you pass time in the game world.

edit: With the exception of highway roads, which I am almost certain are running on their own completely separate system where it's a massive pool of everyone's contributions keeping them alive. Roads deteriorate so slowly that I don't think they will ever break.

i regularly get messages about people repairing roads in the vicinity of early game stuff, i am fairly certain that people who dont explicitly share your structures still end up "donating materials" to you when they are building their own stuff like roads.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My theory is, when you connect an area to the network, the road pavers in that area get stuffed with some supplies from everyone who ever built a road from a big giant pool. You then complete the road, thus contributing back to the pool. Once you've built a road, other folks building roads (or people from looong ago who built roads because I mean the game's life expectancy can't be infinite) will contribute to repairs for your own.

What I find really interesting is that remarkably little of it seems to be 'faked'. The system they built works very very well, however it functions under the hood.

edit: By the way, I feel very dumb for never noticing this but today I finally paid attention to the armor plates and what they actually do. Don't be like me and dismiss them because they're tiny and don't cover very much of Sam, they're not for providing physical cover. Instead they project a literal force field that stops bullets that hit in the quadrant where the plate is equipped. Even grenades will just plonk right off of you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 5, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The armor plates are cool and I always dress Sam up like he's a MGS character in a wrong game.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
I have definitely had to rebuild a section of road twice, near Mt. Knot. That was an unpleasant surprise when I drove a truck up there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7putI4Tw8

After a long search I finally found a clean rip of the Chapter 8 version of 'Almost Nothing' for my LP, figured I'd post it here because it really is beautiful. Unless you really dink around when it starts playing you're not likely to hear the whole song, so here it is! It's basically the same as the soundtrack version minus the backing beat but that changes a lot, it's got a whole different energy to it.

Let's hope the PC version has actual volume sliders because that'll make gathering non-soundtrack audio so so much easier.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 6, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
That song helped me make a dramatic music video about pain and loss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dM-WyciQhM

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
what a good game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone uploaded a 16,000x9,000 pixel scan of the game's entire map in 1:1 size and it's kinda nuts how much detail they put into the little nooks and crannies.

They even put city blocks and buildings and stuff behind the knot city walls (which aren't there in gameplay), which you can't get too good a look at on the map ingame with how it blurs when you zoom in. The capital knot city crater in the eastern region map is also rad.

Here's the full image if you want to see it. It's 17mb and very likely to make your browser cry.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 7, 2020

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

CJacobs posted:

Someone uploaded a 16,000x9,000 pixel scan of the game's entire map in 1:1 size and it's kinda nuts how much detail they put into the little nooks and crannies.

They even put city blocks and buildings and stuff behind the knot city walls (which aren't there in gameplay), which you can't get too good a look at on the map ingame with how it blurs when you zoom in. The capital knot city crater in the eastern region map is also rad.

Here's the full image if you want to see it. It's 17mb and very likely to make your browser cry.

Time to wallpaper my house, I guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I did appreciate how they had populated the cities on overhead even if you can’t actually visit them in game. Though I’m still a little skeptical about calling Edge Knot a “city.”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Has anyone else had any weirdness with zipline placement? I placed one in between Veteran Porter and Timefall Farm and it was fine, I rode it back and forth. Then when I came back it was out of range all of a sudden by 5 feet. There was an online one next to it that I rode down to get there in the first place and it too, was now out of range.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I encountered that when I was doing my grindy run for memory chips the other day; the zipline network in my game from Mountain Knot to the hill near Heartman's lab worked fine the first time I went through & headed west but refused to work when I was coming back so I had to barrel down the hill. some of them are a little wonky now, no idea why

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's happened to me too, it might be caused by new footpaths forming. A footpath forming distorts the terrain around it a little to get rocks and obstacles out of the way, which results in nearby structures being shuffled a bit. Looks like the game tries to make sure a footpath is totally clear of obstacles unless something huge like a PCC private room is in the way. I'm not sure if footpaths still get created underneath snow though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 8, 2020

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have no idea if this si related to that or just some weird rear end thing but i've noticed in my games that a structure i definitely built was replaced with the exact same structure by someone in my contract list, and they are not always precisely where i left them. it hosed up a zip line network because i had one at absolutely max range and the swapped one seemed to be very slightly outside of the range, which said it was 5 feet short (the game seems largely incapable of just saying something is one foot short so if you try and build a zipline a couple inches outside of range it says 5 feet, at least this has happened to me before)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a theory about why that happens- the two structures were likely in close enough proximity that the game swapped them between game worlds to free up chiral network bandwidth for you. Your structure is now in their game, and theirs is now in yours. This way the structure is in the same place but it's not taking up bandwidth for either player anymore. Would be nice if it put them in exactly the same spot though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CJacobs posted:

I'm not sure if footpaths still get created underneath snow though.

They do at least if they snow is shallow. It wears down until a dirt rut appears.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I have ordered a giant military style backpack for carrying shopping in, and I will admit ITT that it is because of this game.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5MIL3KVHxo

Norman talks about why he did Death Stranding, but near the end of the video casually says he is talking with Kojima about doing "death stranding stuff". I don't know what's been confirmed or not for sequels or extra content, but that's cool!

Also Norman is a pretty interesting guy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's just so chill. He's like the embodiment of Chill Dude. Thanks to Death Stranding constantly pestering me about it I actually watched Ride With Norman Reedus, the show where you go for a ride with Norman Reedus... and it's quite good! It's just Norman Reedus and friends visiting interesting places cross-country on their sick motorcycles and hearing about people's lives and stories.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Z1zdLXC20

Reedus on an episode of Ride where he catches and eats raw oysters with Dave Chappelle. Not a combo or activity I'd ever think of the two of them sharing, but it comes across as a couple cool dudes doing cool things while exploring America. I should watch some more episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4WEF504hnw

And on the more emotional end of the spectrum, here's this from an episode where he hangs out with Melissa McBride in Scotland discovering her family history. I'm really surprised I'd never heard of this show before takin a dump in Death Stranding, apparently it's pretty well-regarded and has like five seasons' worth of episodes.