Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

What’s the dark Souls of the culinary arts?

Definitely the macaron. Long multi-phase process, lots of trial and error that usually results in you screwing it up, usually with some dumb gimmick attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'm still watching the vid so i'll post about it when i'm done, but the only long-form video game person i think is worth the time is Noah Caldwell-Gervais, and that's because it's often musings on entire series

I don’t like how that guy talks and his choice of video footage is usually unrelated to what he’s currently stating

In short, you’re bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'm still watching the vid so i'll post about it when i'm done, but the only long-form video game person i think is worth the time is Noah Caldwell-Gervais, and that's because it's often musings on entire series

That guy is good too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

game makers toolkit is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also Noah liked bioshock Infinite, LoL what a jester

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i also like stuff like GMT and Errant Signal, but I guess in my mind I draw a line once the videos are over 30 minutes long

Jay Rust posted:

In short, you’re bad

can't disagree here

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

precision posted:

Maybe one day soon AAA studios will figure out that graphics and scale alone don't make for a Great Game

Like, the best games I've played in the last couple years have been Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds, The Missing, Her Story, etc.
Problems with AAA devs aren't new, and that sounds like a very specific type of game you're enjoying where the lessons aren't really applicable to a wide variety of games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

an Infinite Jester, one might say

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 7th Guest posted:

game makers toolkit is good

Yeah, this is probably my favorite YouTube series on games: clear, focused ideas, the structure of each is immediately clear in the first thirty seconds, and mostly in the 15-minute range

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Here's another chance for me to say this: More like Blaah-ti Vidya.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate the Elder Scrolls so much, do not understand how it has become one of the most popular franchises of all time, and automatically downgrade my opinion of anyone who likes Oblivion or Skyrim

They have taken all the oxygen in the room when it comes to CRPGs

Oblivion and Skyrim represent the same kind of comfy, generic fantasy wish-fulfillment as D&D does in the tabletop space. Is D&D the best possible system it can be, with the best lore and the best characters? gently caress no. But if you just want to hang out with your pals and do some dungeon crawling with relative ease, you're probably gonna be playing D&D to do it because it's a system everyone knows to some extent and it's generic enough to let you get away with whatever. Elder Scrolls is that same sort of casual fun but in the CRPG space.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Problems with AAA devs aren't new, and that sounds like a very specific type of game you're enjoying where the lessons aren't really applicable to a wide variety of games

Sure but there's literally nothing stopping big studios from making games like that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i would not be surprised if last of us pt 2 got delayed to avoid a depressed turnout at retail from virus panicking

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The 7th Guest posted:

i would not be surprised if last of us pt 2 got delayed to avoid a depressed turnout at retail from virus panicking

Naughty Dog head writer hastily doing a global search and replace from “cordyceps” to “coronavirus”

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my favorite youtubers, that's right it's inugami korone and nekomata okayu.

and also that guy that makes 30 minute long gunpla review videos, and the marble run guy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

meanwhile animal crossing will probably go loving crazy because it'll be the game people play while cooped up in their homes waiting for the pandemic to end, and it'll come out before the virus freakout reaches its peak

(it's also the most escapism-themed game this year)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if your video has a human face in it though I ain't watching it, that's my rule and I stick to it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

precision posted:

I dunno, I saw a pretty compelling video by a guy who laid out how we're demonstrably getting less great games now. We're arguably getting better games, but definitely less of them

this would only possibly make any sort of sense if you limited the scope to major releases and even then it would be a stretch. the amount of indies we get each year and how good so many of them are outpaces any other period of gaming by miles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

if your video has a human face in it though I ain't watching it, that's my rule and I stick to it
what if the face is drawn and/or 3d

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

what if the face is drawn and/or 3d
vtubers do not count because they lie outside the youtube narcissistic conceptual space

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh but if it's just a cutesy drawing of the actual person that runs the channel then hell no, that's even worse than a real person

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If the custom thumbnail shows a cartoon version of the YouTuber doing something related to the game, that’s a skip

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

my favorite youtubers, that's right it's inugami korone and nekomata okayu.

and also that guy that makes 30 minute long gunpla review videos, and the marble run guy

Todd in the Shadows is great, especially the Trainwreckords series.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I appreciate that the lock picking lawyer if a lock is a little bit too shiny and reflects his face he will go in and blur it out. hand only youtube is a powerful subculture

ashens started doing videos with his face in it and it's like, my dude you're loving up

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

He's right.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

YouTube is a site I go to when I want to listen to video game music and that's it

I'm sorry I lied I also watch the japanese guy who makes kitchen knives

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm sorry I lied I also watch the japanese guy who makes kitchen knives
another good handtuber

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

homeless snail posted:

vtubers do not count because they lie outside the youtube narcissistic conceptual space

they're more narcissistic because they imply that not only should the person creating my entertainment hide themselves, but they should take on a form that isn't even human to do so, to make sure that my comfort isn't jostled by having to consider the human behind the screen

i don't like face cams either though

Precision - thanks for posting the video. My issue with it is, like 1/2 to 2/3rds could be replaced with 'capitalism stifles creativity and pushes art into safe mediocrities to maximize shareholder payouts' and yeah, we know. I also think putting PS2->PS3 hd remasters and full on remakes of 20+ year old games in a different style into the same bucket is intellectually lazy and the implication that polishing a thing to sell again and using a beloved classic as a basis for a new, different interpretation are equally lacking in creativity is gesturing to the unreasonable demand that art never be repeated. His complaint about there being 'less classics' is meaningless, because there's no real way to define this even without taking into account that gamers are the least critical consumers of media this side of scifi/fantasy reader. Using metacritic scores is a joke, and then trying to deflect that criticism by turning to user scores is even worse. I also think his complaint about technological advances being less apparent is overly graphics focused. MGS1 to MGS2 is a huge leap visually but as a reminder in the current era you can play a 100 player online battle royal shooter on a tablet in your bed or that I can fit my entire childhood PS1 library onto a card the size of a fingernail.

Also his sarcastic 'yay' at games being a "political battleground" is, hey, gently caress off guy. I do appreciate that he makes an effort to be positive about where games are going, and it's claiming the industry is dying, but his view of the forward progress of gaming comes across as really blinkered. I don't think the video is awful, exactly, but I don't think it's really too insightful. It reminds me of the Joe Anderson vids where he says a lot of things that are probably true but has no coherent underlying argument.

As an aside I have considered from time to time making an 'effort posts' thread for the forum, where we would post stuff like this minus the drive-by shitposting and performative hyperbolica. I say this as the worst example of that kind of posting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

lol i'm dyin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPCN34nwv3U

May 8, 2006

also gently caress that they released SotN on phones but not Steam AND used the trash newer VO

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

The 7th Guest posted:

the geforce now thing is wild to me

it's literally just a VM and you sign into your own steam account and install your own games you already bought, so it's no different than any other remote desktop, but publishers are wilding out about it and having their games removed
They're expecting geforce now to develop in the same way, say, podcasts aggregators do, using content made by others to establish an ecosystem that, if it becomes prevalent, can then be used to push proprietary content at the expense of the stuff made by others. There's nothing in place to prevent nvidia from, say, inserting ads on top of your games when they're playing through geforce now, to say nothing of the already present data harvest and it's easy to see why some would want to stay away from becoming part of nvidia's sales pitch without some form of guarantee or compensation. With Steam or EGS or other front ends there's at least a contract establishing where the platform stands in relation to the dev. No such thing with a service like Geforce now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

As an aside I have considered from time to time making an 'effort posts' thread for the forum, where we would post stuff like this minus the drive-by shitposting and performative hyperbolica. I say this as the worst example of that kind of posting.

You should because it feels really bad to think you're just chilling and posting and then have 12 people call you out because they apparently can't ever do that to each other and latch on to dunking on easy targets over and over again

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

You should because it feels really bad to think you're just chilling and posting and then have 12 people call you out because they apparently can't ever do that to each other and latch on to dunking on easy targets over and over again

oh good this again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

at risk of getting accused of attempting an own, if you find yourself constantly getting "dunked on", perhaps you should look inwards

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

oh but if it's just a cutesy drawing of the actual person that runs the channel then hell no, that's even worse than a real person
thats too bad

i put a cartoony drawing in a corner when i stream because i don't like being on cam

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

at risk of getting accused of attempting an own, if you find yourself constantly getting "dunked on", perhaps you should look inwards

Yeah I'm kinda hosed up, which is why it's hosed up to knowingly and constantly make me feel like I'm not "one of you" when, and I know this dates me here, I've only ever been interested in participating in online socializing with people that I like and that like me. If y'all would just be honest and tell me to go away, I will.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I'm being too ornery, my bad

https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1235833097335099393

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

al-azad posted:

He’ll yeah everybody whining about the batmobile didn’t upgrade the launcher and don’t know the joy of rocketing into space.

In my feeble defense, I really hate driving in games aside from the rare case like Sleeping Dogs. It's partly because I hate driving a lot in real life because everyone here is a bastard of the highest order. Don't ask me how that gels w/ the kind of stupid poo poo you can do in SD or video games in general, I don't have an idea either.

Also, the Firefly chases are rude as poo poo, but he's the first side mission I was able to clear and I was pleased as punch when he messed up his stupid jetpack.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that video on why games are bad now shows itself in the first 5 minutes when its going through the 2001 games that are good vs 2017 because its firstly using metacritic critic and user scores as proof of literally anything. strike 1.

strike 2 is the list on wikipedia where he counts 38 critically acclaimed games from 2001 also includes games going down to a 87/86 score, and although he says he removes ports for his count he is either not removing the multiple ports that are above 90 or is counting games below 90 when the list he uses for 2017 doesnt go below 90, which leads onto strike 3:

the 2017 list he shows is so farcically incorrect it took 1 second of looking at it to dismiss it out of hand. without checking literally anything else the list doesnt have persona 5 on it which is sitting at 93 on metacritic and is a title anyone making a 30 minute long video about the state of games would be aware of. using this argument is already insanely stupid, but to then use a source you clearly havnt even spent 30 seconds checking yourself belies a bias in trying to looking for information to prove a point youve already decided is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you're reading too much into it, no one is trying to drive you out