Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

You're strong than me! I passed out in the anime just before the big MechaCity fight or whatever that trash was. Then for part 3 I woke up when the weird King G invincible guys came out.

Such a boring poo poo series with poo poo fights.

Ghidorah being an extradimensional entity was cool, and I called the fact it needed an anchor to interact with reality well before the movie spelled it out.
And then it's just three noodles that reject your reality and substitute their own.

MechaGodzilla City was a complete letdown and I wish the full MMD video of how a battle between Godzilla and Mecha-G would've gone was still on Youtube.

david_a posted:

it probably meant you were really sleepy when you saw KotM :shrug:

I wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The anime trilogy had some interesting ideas but was poorly executed in my opinion. It was also probably never really gonna be my thing to begin with, and I doubt I'll ever watch it again. I don't quite get the incandescent hate some people seem to have for it though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

I don't quite get the incandescent hate some people seem to have for it though.

Because it had interesting ideas that got buried in favor of the most boring anime bullshit they could muster.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

The anime trilogy had some interesting ideas but was poorly executed in my opinion. It was also probably never really gonna be my thing to begin with, and I doubt I'll ever watch it again. I don't quite get the incandescent hate some people seem to have for it though.

It might be because it was a 1.5 hour movie stretched over 6 hours

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Fair points. I guess my expectations going in were pretty low, so it was hard to really get all that angry at it. I can certainly name some actual main-line Godzilla movies that I dislike more, in any event.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
King of the Monsters is a DEEPLY flawed film- I dislike basically any scene with the comic relief and Always Right White Dad but having rewatched it recently I can't deny how much I enjoy it as a monster movie.

it's brain dead stupid in a lot of ways and the Oxygen Destroyer stuff is just an actual travesty and completelyfucked, but the kaiju are great. I haven't been so pumped in a theater as I was when Mothra bodied Ghidorah and Godzilla came smashing in after GOJIRA MOSURA FOREVER

I don't mind the villains at all, and while I have issues with how Rodan is shown, for THIS version of the character I'm okay with it. As a movie to sit down and watch with friends, it may not be in my top ten but at least it's breezey and fun and you can shout at the dumber, worser parts of it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

King of the Monsters is a DEEPLY flawed film- I dislike basically any scene with the comic relief and Always Right White Dad but having rewatched it recently I can't deny how much I enjoy it as a monster movie.

it's brain dead stupid in a lot of ways and the Oxygen Destroyer stuff is just an actual travesty and completelyfucked, but the kaiju are great. I haven't been so pumped in a theater as I was when Mothra bodied Ghidorah and Godzilla came smashing in after GOJIRA MOSURA FOREVER

I don't mind the villains at all, and while I have issues with how Rodan is shown, for THIS version of the character I'm okay with it. As a movie to sit down and watch with friends, it may not be in my top ten but at least it's breezey and fun and you can shout at the dumber, worser parts of it.

That's pretty much how I feel too. It's got its share of weak and outright bad parts, but they aren't like aggressively bad to me, I just kinda go "okay, whatever" and sing the movie's awesome monster themes in my head until something cool happens again. ("Rodan" wingslaps, y'all)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched half the first anime movie and turned it off and watched Kong Skull Island for the second time. Much better use of my time. The anime was so boring. I'm not even anime-phobic or anything.

Anyway. Here's a good video that was posted today about how Shin Godzilla handles global warming extremely well and how KOTM handles it poorly.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

Fair points. I guess my expectations going in were pretty low, so it was hard to really get all that angry at it. I can certainly name some actual main-line Godzilla movies that I dislike more, in any event.

I had high expectation because you can do so much awesome monster stuff with animation. Instead they opted to make a movie about three slightly different types of humans and shoehorned Godzilla in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The only truly interesting thing the anime trilogy does is propose a biosphere composed of 20,000 years' worth of mutated Godzilla biomatter and that's barely actually used. What a tedious disappointment.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked the idea that any technologically advanced civilization will eventually produce a Godzilla to destroy itself, I like the abstraction of Mothra and MechaGodzilla into different ways humanity could change to deal with Godzilla, I liked the cosmic horror of King Ghidora literally breaking time and space to enter our reality, and I liked the super ridiculously grim tone and the methodical pacing. They had a meeting, came up with a plan, enacted the plan, something went wrong, repeat. That's my kinda sci-fi

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Animating a weekend of weed-fueled Godzilla marathon highdeas doesn't make them any more engaging.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I liked the idea that any technologically advanced civilization will eventually produce a Godzilla to destroy itself, I like the abstraction of Mothra and MechaGodzilla into different ways humanity could change to deal with Godzilla, I liked the cosmic horror of King Ghidora literally breaking time and space to enter our reality, and I liked the super ridiculously grim tone and the methodical pacing. They had a meeting, came up with a plan, enacted the plan, something went wrong, repeat. That's my kinda sci-fi
I think most people here liked the ideas that were gestured toward, but ideas don't mean jack or poo poo to how good a movie is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KOTM is the best movie ever made, and this is because I do really like it, but saying that makes people’s skin crawl and that’s good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Deathnote Netflix movie is much better for this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Deathnote Netflix movie is much better for this.

to be fair, that is the best horror film of the 2010s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t hate KOTM, I just think it’s a giant mess that isn’t even half as interesting and crazy as it could have been. It’s like a big pile of missed opportunities.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

KOTM is the best movie ever made, and this is because I do really like it, but saying that makes people’s skin crawl and that’s good.

It doesn't it just confirms to everyone else that your opinion is not to be trusted.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really enjoyed KOTM in spite of it being a mess because the music and my overall love for seeing the monsters kept me through it.

I haven't seen the anime ones but I have the Monsterarts toy of the Godzilla because its a fun design.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Liking bad movies to own the good movie likers

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
KOTM isn't perfect, but its lows aren't that low and its highs are pretty loving high. I enjoyed it and I'd happily take more.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah I really enjoyed King of the Monsters more now that I've watched more Godzilla movies specifically Monsters Attack.

Like everything in the movie is homage or just lifted whole cloth from prior Godzilla movies.

I've slowly and steadily been working my way through all 31 films.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed King of the Monsters more now that I've watched more Godzilla movies specifically Monsters Attack.

Like everything in the movie is homage or just lifted whole cloth from prior Godzilla movies.

I've slowly and steadily been working my way through all 31 films.

I'll turn you into a proper husband one day

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My favorite so far is the one where Godzilla is powered by Ghosts

The films even the bad ones have a certain charm.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Very few franchises lean into the ridiculous and camp as much as Godzilla, while taking it 100% seriously. It's always a good time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll take a middle of the road Godzilla movie over another Marvel any day.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll take a middle of the road Godzilla movie over another Marvel any day.

KOTM was a Marvel movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

KOTM was a Marvel movie

Can't be. They said gently caress and had a bunch of sex jokes.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They said gently caress in KOTM?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlli6kEEBM0&t=120s

Yep.

Pretty appropriately too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seeing a possible leak about the origin of Mechagodzilla for Godzilla vs Kong floating around the internet. Mecha's core is the severed head of Ghidorah from King of the Monsters welded to the skeleton of the long-dead ancient godzilla from 2014's opening in the Philippine mine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

You only get one, you gotta make it count

Violator
May 15, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Seeing a possible leak about the origin of Mechagodzilla for Godzilla vs Kong floating around the internet. Mecha's core is the severed head of Ghidorah from King of the Monsters welded to the skeleton of the long-dead ancient godzilla from 2014's opening in the Philippine mine.

Makes sense and roughly what everyone thought. Not sure what the need for a biological skeleton is but I’ll go with it. I’m not super excited about MG being in it at all but they’ve already gone down the wacky rabbit hole.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Violator posted:

Makes sense and roughly what everyone thought. Not sure what the need for a biological skeleton is but I’ll go with it. I’m not super excited about MG being in it at all but they’ve already gone down the wacky rabbit hole.

Isn't Mechagodzilla made out of the bones of the original Godzilla in the Millenium movies?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Godzilla 1984. I didn't really like it.

I think the main thing is that it's really flat. Like, there's not much of a sense of rising tension or stakes or anything. The really limited use of background music definitely hurts it there. Like, there's a nuclear missile headed right for our main characters! They're trying to get a door open. They've been at it awhile, gotta get that door open. Not that they'll be able to escape the blast if they do get it open, but that's the task they're currently at. At the very least play some exciting music over the scenes of these characters vainly trying to open a door for no benefit! And then the missile doesn't kill them, some other offscreen force blows it up first. Thrilling

And speaking of the characters, where are they? Early on there's a scene where the reporter breaks a government gag order to tell the woman that her brother is in the hospital. She is happily reunited with her brother, and then the reporter starts taking pictures and it's like, oh he just set this up for the pictures! That cad! But earlier he seemed genuinely opposed to the government gag order, so it's also kinda like he was trying to get the woman to go to her brother so the government would have to admit that Godzilla is back? And he seemed to genuinely want her to know her brother was alive. So which was his motivation for doing it? Was it all three together? It doesn't matter because it literally never comes up again in any way. The government reveals Godzilla later for a completely different reason, and the woman and her brother don't even mention the reporter... manipulating them? if that's what he actually did? They all become just interchangeable people without personalities. Why did we spend so much time with them then?! Why not take some of that time to set up the Super X pilots so it would be emotional when Godzilla kills them? Or literally anything other than setting up character beats that go nowhere for characters that spend the last 80% of the movie as glorified lab techs?

Now, it's not all bad. The miniatures and Godzilla are fantastic. When Godzilla first shows up in Tokyo it genuinely took me a second to realize that wasn't a composite shot, it really was a huge miniature set that Godzilla was gonna gently caress up. The Godzilla city rampage is just great. I can't say enough good stuff about it.

The scene where the homeless man walks into an evacuated hotel restaurant and makes himself a big meal is also good. It's a really human moment in a movie that's otherwise completely devoid of those.

I'm not crazy about the ending though. They figure Godzilla has bird-like homing abilities so they point a homing beam at him and he walks in a straight line into an open volcano. OK. Well, I guess that solves that. Very exciting.

So yeah overall Godzilla 1984 has fantastic Godzilla action but is otherwise kinda a snooze.

Violator
May 15, 2003

robot roll call posted:

Isn't Mechagodzilla made out of the bones of the original Godzilla in the Millenium movies?

I think you're right, but I'm not super high on using homages to past movies that weaken the current universe. I preferred the current day grounded world of G'14, and now we have skyscraper-sized genetically engineered biomechanical robots within... a decade or so? The tech in KOTM was a little out there too, but at least that was just a flying naval carrier, some helicopters, and a talkin' machine. I feel like KOTM and GvK are pulling in the wackier elements from the previous movies, which even if it respects the series' past seems like a major tonal shift from G'14 and Skull Island that' I'm not a huge fan. It may not be for me, but I'll still support freaking blockbuster Godzilla movies getting released so eh.

Edit: And actually with the 6-months of reshoots and retooling who knows what GvK will look like compared to the leaks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Violator posted:

Edit: And actually with the 6-months of reshoots and retooling who knows what GvK will look like compared to the leaks.

Nobody's gonna expect the musical angle and the Kong/Godzilla duet will have everyone in tears, I can promise you that

The villain song was a little weak though

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

robot roll call posted:

Yes it is

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Nobody's gonna expect the musical angle and the Kong/Godzilla duet will have everyone in tears, I can promise you that

King Kong, at last
We see each other plain,
Monsieur Gorille
You're about to be slain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mantis42 posted:

King Kong, at last
We see each other plain,