Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

deep dish peat moss posted:

Everything I draw (including two sets of custom shoes now) is 80%+ fineliner pens and I've gone through an absurd amount of black fineliners (staedtlers/microns) these last few months. Can anyone recommend a good online supplier for (hopefully cheap) pens, and/or another brand I should look into, or some kind of refillable equivalent, or anything else I can do to save money on these things?

ex:

(more & hq: https://imgur.com/a/lYlPHMP )

These are pretty cool. The issue is that cheap ones might not be light fast, which is important if you're selling or displaying your work. Less so if they're just for your own enjoyment or you're only going to sell and display prints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've not found anything better than Unipin fineliners, for price and performance. They claim to be fadeproof, but if I was doing finished work with them I'd do a test, hang a piece in a sunny window and see how it lasts. You could give them a coat of a UV-blocking varnish to help (Montana is reasonably cheap and has that).

I got a copic multiliner (their metal refillable markers) and I've been really disappointed with it, the line quality is pretty poor compared to disposable ones, it's definitely not worth the extra price.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Zoben posted:

Doin some lines up in heah

Gonna be honest here. I really want to laser burn your stuff. Very high contrast / lack of shading is perfect to burn.

Here is another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

EDIT:
Some old GIFs I made of my friend's painting progress. Thought these might help anyone who is struggling with acrylic painting. He never mixes paint on the palette, only the canvas. Uses Floetrol as a paint medium to make the paint go farther. Never water, despite acrylic being water based. Never spends very long on the underlying pencil drawing and works with a fairly limited color palette when making glazes / layers.

Made this painting using a very similar technique a while back.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 21, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Angrymog posted:

These are pretty cool. The issue is that cheap ones might not be light fast, which is important if you're selling or displaying your work. Less so if they're just for your own enjoyment or you're only going to sell and display prints.

This is a great point and something I'll keep in mind!

lofi posted:

I've not found anything better than Unipin fineliners, for price and performance. They claim to be fadeproof, but if I was doing finished work with them I'd do a test, hang a piece in a sunny window and see how it lasts. You could give them a coat of a UV-blocking varnish to help (Montana is reasonably cheap and has that).

I got a copic multiliner (their metal refillable markers) and I've been really disappointed with it, the line quality is pretty poor compared to disposable ones, it's definitely not worth the extra price.

I'll try the Uni Pin, I went to Blick's and bought out their entire stock of faber-castells because it was all I could find but these are working pretty well for now. I'm turning into a weird pen junkie. I was thinking about buying a copic and I'm bummed to hear that, i would love a good refillable fineliner

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 22, 2020

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

EDIT:
Some old GIFs I made of my friend's painting progress. Thought these might help anyone who is struggling with acrylic painting. He never mixes paint on the palette, only the canvas. Uses Floetrol as a paint medium to make the paint go farther. Never water, despite acrylic being water based. Never spends very long on the underlying pencil drawing and works with a fairly limited color palette when making glazes / layers.

Very cool!

What would be the major benefits of only mixing on the canvas?

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Gonna be honest here. I really want to laser burn your stuff. Very high contrast / lack of shading is perfect to burn.

Here is another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

EDIT:

Made this painting using a very similar technique a while back.

Thanks! I'm not super knowledgeable on what laser burning is, I guess I'll have to Google it. I love those gifs, I do very little painting anymore but process vids/gifs are super fun to watch and very informative for those seeking advice. I've done them with portrait drawings I've done mainly because it's more interesting to share on social media.

I just finished that in-progress one. Took a while

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That's pretty sweet!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Been mainly drawing nonsense, but here's a miniature of one of my brother's cats. Water colour, actual art is just a bit smaller than a credit card.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Continuing to struggle with the laser burner. Getting some better results but midtones are a bitch.
So frustrated with raster based images I am about to split out the tones into separate images like one would for screen printing. *ugh*
Had to ink back over this one to make it work a little better.

Claeaus posted:

Very cool!

What would be the major benefits of only mixing on the canvas?

Since his method is really about adding layers of glaze (acrylic + floetrol) it is less about mixing and more about layering translucent colors to make blending of hue work.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Keetron posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but for reasons of bad impulse control I was subscribed to multiple art boxes and now I have all these things I will never ever use. My employer is covering the shipping costs so I can give away a few boxes of random stuff and ship them where ever in the world. The only real compensation would be posting the artwork you make with the random box here in this thread.

Ahem...

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I painted a jellyfish with the stuff you sent me, I haven't posted it yet because it's still drying and I'm not sure if I want to add more layers or not. Here it is as of right now though!

Thanks again for the box :)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I promise to pay with a drawing with those alcohol markers - I have the perfect idea for them.

I had an idea this Thursday of a Valentines drawing idea, so now it is crunch time. It usually takes me a month or more for a colored pencil piece, and I need to finish this latest in 2 weeks.

The gifs above are sweet. Here is the last one I made

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Zoben posted:

Thanks! I'm not super knowledgeable on what laser burning is, I guess I'll have to Google it. I love those gifs, I do very little painting anymore but process vids/gifs are super fun to watch and very informative for those seeking advice. I've done them with portrait drawings I've done mainly because it's more interesting to share on social media.

I just finished that in-progress one. Took a while

This is loving sweet

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Here's a frame from Evangelion I'm drawing

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

HungryMedusa posted:

I promise to pay with a drawing with those alcohol markers - I have the perfect idea for them.

I had an idea this Thursday of a Valentines drawing idea, so now it is crunch time. It usually takes me a month or more for a colored pencil piece, and I need to finish this latest in 2 weeks.

The gifs above are sweet. Here is the last one I made

Sooooo cool. Nice work!!

Here is another Jordu Schell inspired sketch.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo that is super good.

Update: I finally got some idea what to do with this piece and I'm pretty stoked with how it's going to turn out!

"Colliding Viewpoints"

Dreadwroth2 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 11, 2020

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Continuing to struggle with the laser burner. Getting some better results but midtones are a bitch.
So frustrated with raster based images I am about to split out the tones into separate images like one would for screen printing. *ugh*
Had to ink back over this one to make it work a little better.

Since his method is really about adding layers of glaze (acrylic + floetrol) it is less about mixing and more about layering translucent colors to make blending of hue work.

Groovy stuff, the laser burning is a really cool medium!

Working on a lil' tattoo idea a friend requested, nice change from the huge-rear end drawing I was doing for months

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Zoben posted:

Groovy stuff, the laser burning is a really cool medium!

Working on a lil' tattoo idea a friend requested, nice change from the huge-rear end drawing I was doing for months

This looks pretty dope!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

xposted from the artdome thread.

From The Lighthouse

Not sure if I am going to laser burn these.

Zoben: Your work (very very immaculate linework) lends itself better to laserburning TBH.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good vinyl sticker printer (hardware, not service)? I've had some printed through stickermule and I'm happy with them but I'd really love to ramp up the production and plaster my town in ads stickers. I have some money to invest in art right now and getting my own printer is under heavy consideration. I'm not even sure how to price a "good" one though.

Not pictured (because it doesn't photograph easily): I got some Liquid Chrome pens and I've been peppering the spaceship stickers with liquid chrome stars - it works brilliantly since vinyl is non-absorbent and they're very eye catching when I stick them up in the nightlife-y parts of town with neon everywhere.

There's something fulfilling about drawing something, scanning it, then sticking tiny versions of it up all over my city :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 17, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Those are great. There should be a SA sticker swap.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 17, 2020

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HungryMedusa posted:

This is loving sweet

syntaxrigger posted:

This looks pretty dope!

Thanks all! :)

sigma 6 posted:

xposted from the artdome thread.

From The Lighthouse

Not sure if I am going to laser burn these.

Zoben: Your work (very very immaculate linework) lends itself better to laserburning TBH.

Great work! Even though I don't entirely get the technique, I could see how linework would work better than shading with color/graphite/etc. I got into pen and ink by wanting to be a comic book artist when I was younger, and then I got into the screenprinting craze a bit (only done it a few times but liked how the lines and highlights/mids were also utilizing linework) so I color my work with usually less gradients if I can. If you feel like doing any more laser burning, I have some pretty hi-res poo poo on my tumblr if you'd like to check: https://eliquinnart.tumblr.com/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Those are great. There should be a SA sticker swap.

I'm totally down for this, I would love to! I've got some more stickers made since posting those

This one can't be done justice in a still image:
https://i.imgur.com/iBSSND5.mp4

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Dooope. Yeah. Down for a sticker swap. Definitely.

Current stuff

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 3, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm starting to experiment with gears. This is not what I had in mind when I first started but the gears were much smaller than I imagined so I had to change my entire idea. I'm getting bigger gears next time.

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1235433538704433152

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
Sketch for a WIP mixed media piece I’m workin on.

Edit: here’s a finished art piece since I NEVER post finished stuff on here

Kierena fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 6, 2020

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

inked thing of my current character design obsession because she's really fun to draw. (mainly the exposed muscle fiber areas)
Planning to color her with the marker set I got for christmas, which if I learned from the last marker piece I did, should go really well.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Been taking part in a water colour class, here's one of the finished pieces.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been posting my miniature Bob Ross paintings over in the daily thread but I'm unreasonably proud of this one so I'm tossing it in here too.

Got liquid white everywhere doing this, somehow. Everywhere.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HopperUK posted:

I've been posting my miniature Bob Ross paintings over in the daily thread but I'm unreasonably proud of this one so I'm tossing it in here too.

I really like this one - it's kitch, but it feels like a tropical sunset.

You mentioned having issues colour matching, so assuming his own-brand paints are a match for what he used in the videos, find a colour chart for them (seems to be pretty hard - maybe the info is on the actual tubes and you can ask on a relevant forum), then match them to whatever you're using.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angrymog posted:

I really like this one - it's kitch, but it feels like a tropical sunset.

You mentioned having issues colour matching, so assuming his own-brand paints are a match for what he used in the videos, find a colour chart for them (seems to be pretty hard - maybe the info is on the actual tubes and you can ask on a relevant forum), then match them to whatever you're using.

Cheers, I will! So far I'm winging it and just approximating what he's doing, but I'm already getting the itch to move beyond 'copy Bob Ross' so we'll see how it goes:)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HopperUK posted:

This is really cool, the colors are great!

I can't paint with oils for the life of me but I've always wanted to paint little 2"x2" landscapes on tiny canvasses then encase them in resin so they could be used as shower tiles

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I was looking at a bright patch of a cloudy sky yesterday and it really stumped me. How can a bright area of the sky look simultaneously light yellow and light blue, but not green in any way? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I got a 3D printer and was finally able to make this.
https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1237011664798547968?s=19

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Flavius Aetass posted:

I was looking at a bright patch of a cloudy sky yesterday and it really stumped me. How can a bright area of the sky look simultaneously light yellow and light blue, but not green in any way? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

As I understand it, it's a mix of 1) it's not like the sky is a single gradient from red-to-blue, it's caused by separate processes that are both not friendly to green wavelengths, and 2) there is a little bit of green, but our brains split it between the blues and yellows it's surrounded by

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

Probably has something to do with additive color? The color of light is different than paints or printing, etc. When you mix blue and yellow lights it turns white, not green.

I’m not good at science though, so here’s the Wikipedia article https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is really cool, the colors are great!

I can't paint with oils for the life of me but I've always wanted to paint little 2"x2" landscapes on tiny canvasses then encase them in resin so they could be used as shower tiles

Thank you!:) These are 5"x7" which is just right for me, but I do feel the limitations of the size when trying to do fine details.

Today, seaside. Tomorrow I may or may not finally attempt a bigger canvas.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Dooope. Yeah. Down for a sticker swap. Definitely.

Current stuff

That's awesome! I love faceting forms into planes, and iridescence is one of my favorite surface qualities. Is that glass or plastic or....broken CDS?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Flavius Aetass posted:

We have red, blue, and green cones in our eyes, and big fat brains that make up a lot of poo poo to cover the gaps and contradictions those limited receptors send in. The sun shoots the full spectrum of white light at us during the day, and it interacts with atmospheric conditions to turn colors. Those conditions overwhelmingly favor either short waves -blues, or long wave- reds; the medium-greens are there, but they're being overwhelmed or combined with one of the others so you don't see green, just yellows or bright blues. Sometimes storms can alter the atmosphere to favor medium waves and you get green skys, but it's pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

That's awesome! I love faceting forms into planes, and iridescence is one of my favorite surface qualities. Is that glass or plastic or....broken CDS?

Cut CDs but yeah - creating CD shards is surprisingly difficult.