Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

...How else would you say it?

...Jeh-NO-vah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Jeh-nuevo

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

cock hero flux posted:

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control

Yeah, hey, this string of words is real uncomfortable to read, could you please delete it? Thanks.

I definitely get along with my co-workers who are like 13 years younger than me than I do the ones that are even 5 years older, it's bizarre. Especially considering that I got along far better with adults than my peers when I was a child.

Anyway for content there should definitely be a Jenova Undeath that you can kill by throwing a Phoenix Down at it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

precision posted:

...Jeh-NO-vah?

Oh I thought you were saying that middle part would be different.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Jeh-go-to-the-polls-va

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
BARRET: the planets dyin lol
CLOUD: yea. lmao.
TIFA: i'm voting for Bernie
CLOUD: same
BARRET: @$!# same
YUFFIE: same ^_^
AERIS: you're like 12

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jehno-vah, with the same cadence as Jennifer.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

cock hero flux posted:

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control
This is true horror

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

I always figured it was based on the word Jehovah and would be pronounced similar to that. Made sense to me given Jehovah was the Latinization of the Hebrew word for God. I don't recall reading anything about FF7 that ever mentioned that with regard to Jenova though. It's not as if there isn't a JRPG trope about killing god(s) but maybe there's more to it?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/jehovah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's no way Jenova wasn't meant to be a reference to Jehovah, considering Sephiroth is similar to Seraphim and has a song literally called "One Winged Angel"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
HOLY poo poo I JUST NOW REALIZED

Nibelheim = Nephalim

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

precision posted:

There's no way Jenova wasn't meant to be a reference to Jehovah, considering Sephiroth is similar to Seraphim and has a song literally called "One Winged Angel"

Yeah this was basically my thinking but I only know most biblical references third hand. I know other FF's have used biblical names, often with different spellings though not always. I did always wonder whether the names were intentionally changed or if it was just a kind of best fit for the Japanese language that got re translated as something different, as it's not always consistent.

Edit replying to above

See Nibelheim I figured was actually a Norse reference, the Nine Realms are named Niflheim, Muspelheim, Asgard, Midgard, Jotunheim, Vanaheim, Alfheim, Svartalfheim, Helheim. Midgar was Midgard minus a letter and Nibelheim is Niflheim with an altered second syllable.

Slow edit- efb

AnarkiJ fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 8, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

precision posted:

HOLY poo poo I JUST NOW REALIZED

Nibelheim = Nephalim

Wouldnt Niflheim make more sense since Midgar is derived Midgard and Midgar Zolom is just Midgardsorm.

I'm sure there are more Norse mythology references

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cloud uses Lightning and comes from Nibelheim.
Mt. Nibel has a lot of clouds and mist.
Tifa has a bunch of norse runes in her gloves in the remake.

That's about it for that city's name.

And yeah Nibelheim has nothing to do with Judaism/Christianity, it's just the same as Midgar and the Midgar Zolom.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
On the second playthrough of the demo, I noticed that I'm like 690% better at the game, but I really suck at using Guard still.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Sephiroth is from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sefirot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

Wouldnt Niflheim make more sense since Midgar is derived Midgard and Midgar Zolom is just Midgardsorm.

I'm sure there are more Norse mythology references

Yeah I guess

But

Sephiroth had to be a reference to Seraphim imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Whoa

I was just about to post about how the Lifestream/Jenovah/Sephiroth relationship is extremely similar to Gnostic and Kabbalist notions of God/Sophia/Samael

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

Whoa

I was just about to post about how the Lifestream/Jenovah/Sephiroth relationship is extremely similar to Gnostic and Kabbalist notions of God/Sophia/Samael

Sephiroth makes multiple references about how he wants to be a God, and through the merging of all souls through him, he will achieve Godhood.

The notion of Devekut, the closeness to God, is interpreted by Hasidism as a form of Monism, and in this the Qliphoth is the path to individualism, which is also why the Qliphoth is so used in occultist philosophies where the only thing that matters is the self (so everything post-Thelema started to take from this as well). In contrast, the 22 paths to God through the Sefirot are interpreted as not taking you closer to God metaphorically, but literally, and thus in the end all souls become one under a single God.

The interpretation of the Sephirot as a monistic ascension is all over the place in late 90's Japanese media. See: Neon-Genesis Evangelion, where that is also the plot (the Sephirotic System literally pops up floating in the sky before all souls in the planet merge and become one big pool, like uh the lifestream).

Sephiroth's plan is exactly that, have all souls merge through him.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 8, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

cock hero flux posted:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

That song is ripping off Powerman 5000 so hard that it's kinda hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsV500W4BHU

edit: loving lol I posted that without looking at the comments where basically everyone said the same thing as me

edit 2: good lord even the band complained about it, how did I miss all this drama when it first unfolded?: https://kotaku.com/band-says-new-final-fantasy-xiv-boss-battle-music-is-ri-1761120297

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 8, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zero VGS posted:

That song is ripping off Powerman 5000 so hard that it's kinda hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsV500W4BHU

edit: loving lol I posted that without looking at the comments where basically everyone said the same thing as me

edit 2: good lord even the band complained about it, how did I miss all this drama when it first unfolded?: https://kotaku.com/band-says-new-final-fantasy-xiv-boss-battle-music-is-ri-1761120297

I think it really is just a coincidence. I think that Powerman 5000 was ripping off NIN and Marilyn Manson, and that there were a lot of j-rock bands who took inspiration from same, and ultimately it's just a fluke.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

precision posted:

BARRET: the planets dyin lol
CLOUD: yea. lmao.
TIFA: i'm voting for Bernie
CLOUD: same
BARRET: @$!# same
YUFFIE: same ^_^
AERIS: you're like 12

You reckon Reeve is a Buttigieg or Warren voter?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

stev posted:

I didn't notice while playing the demo but the remade boss theme is really weak. It doesn't have any of the punch of the original.

This post is from a while back, but I'm replaying FF7 right now and Guard Scorpion doesn't even have boss music in the original. It's just the same music as the rest of the reactor playing during the fight.

The cool boss theme first happens with Airbuster, like in the original.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

He's a spy so he's naturally drawn to Buttigieg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Sometimes Food posted:

Trick question, Reeve is Scottish

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What about Vincent and Cid, the boomers of FFVII?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

NikkolasKing posted:

Cid is just Joe Biden forgetting who he was again.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

NikkolasKing posted:

Vincent doesn't vote. Cid was a trumpie until he met cloud, but he probably didn't vote either.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

NikkolasKing posted:

Cid definitely has a “Make Rocket Town Great Again” hat

Vincent doesn’t vote, he just spends hours in his coffin posting online about the Stamp EU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Playing with the New Threat mod, which includes changes to the script...they attempted to fix "This guy are sick" but instead made it "These guy is sick" lmao

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GoGoGadget posted:

Playing with the New Threat mod, which includes changes to the script...they attempted to fix "This guy are sick" but instead made it "These guy is sick" lmao

I kind of hope the remake goes to great lengths to make that line verbatim, but also make sense.

"There's been a few guys like this turning up recently. Nobody really knows what's wrong with them. None of the slum doctors can come up with a diagnosis. All we can say is that all of them, like this guy, are sick."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I kind of hope the remake goes to great lengths to make that line verbatim, but also make sense.

"There's been a few guys like this turning up recently. Nobody really knows what's wrong with them. None of the slum doctors can come up with a diagnosis. All we can say is that all of them, like this guy, are sick."

:hmmyes:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm hoping for this too. I feel like it's a shameful waste if they don't.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

issa joke

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I feel like it might not be possible though because that meme comes from a translation error that only the west would get.

Then again I'm sure there are Japan-only memes they probably tried to work in too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I feel like it might not be possible though because that meme comes from a translation error that only the west would get.

Then again I'm sure there are Japan-only memes they probably tried to work in too.

that's why the localization team would do it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
IIRC they translated the famous “I wanna be a blitzball” error back into Japanese for the X remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's why the localization team would do it

Right but wouldn't it have to match up with the Japanese dialogue in some way? You'd have to have a cutscene that gets the same ideas across but in Japan it's normal dialogue and in English it's different for the meme.

It would probably make more sense to do it outside of a cutscene, like in the background banter while walking around.