Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

Yes,sure, we all went to middle school and learned pie charts show portions of a whole.

What business, social, or scientific concepts are we only concerned with portions of a whole? Out of those, which have distributions that make you really interested in comparing slice sizes in a way histograms are harder to make your point? That is no cheating and saying elections those pie charts are some of the most deceptively useless.

Let's say I'm a teacher and evaluating my students' pass rate in an exam. I compare those that passed first time, those that passed on a resit, and those that failed both. I obviously don't care how many times the fails fit into the passes, I just want a fraction of the class that passed. As well as seeing the fraction that passed first time, I can also combine two categories and see what fraction overall passed at all purely visually without any additional calculation.

Assume also that I have to present this information to management so can't assume they'll figure out anything from pure numbers or words with more than three syllables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also lmao as I was going through an old imgur dump to find that image I came across this amazing example of a pie chart, that definitely belongs in this thread:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

i think they were trying to replicate the nightingale rose/coxcomb but yeah the data don't work that way and the long tail just makes it illegible

zedprime posted:

I think I or someone asks this every few months in this thread, but why do pie charts exist? Has anyone ever looked at a pie chart and said "yeah that's an accurate and cool representation of facts?"

i'm kind of reminded of that adage about the american civil war: "if you know nothing, you think it was about slavery. if you know a little history, you know that it was about a complex set of economic and political factors. and if you know a lot, you know that, yeah, it was about slavery"

robert kosara has written a lot of "pie chart apologia" papers (https://research.tableau.com/sites/default/files/Kosara-EuroVisShort-2019b.pdf and https://research.tableau.com/sites/default/files/Skau-EuroVis-2016.pdf for instance)and what it boils down to is that we are probably no worse at pulling numbers out of them than stacked bar charts or other things where we are comparing relative area (it's unclear if we are literally looking at angle when we decode these things), and in fact might be better than things like treemaps. they also have a strong visual metaphor of part versus whole that a lot of "more accurate" designs don't give you.

so they are not great and i almost never use them, but i've toned down on the visceral hate for them. they are okay at what they do and people are used to seeing them which means you don't need a ton of explanation or scaffolding, so i guess it's live and let live, for pie charts

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is doubly bullshit, because it diminishes how contagious COVID-19 is. The real takeaway message should be "coronavirus is about as contagious as the flu" instead of "coronavirus is waaaay less contagious than one of the most infectious diseases in history sweet jesus get your MMR"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tenebrais posted:

Assume also that I have to present this information to management so can't assume they'll figure out anything from pure numbers or words with more than three syllables.
If our visual design aspires to no more, you can hypnotize them with some red or green circles, up, down, or sideways arrows. Or maybe some clip art of a duck giving a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I realize it's probably confirmation bias that we really remember the train crash pie charts and there's just fine ones that don't stick out any more than a sentence saying "budget is comparatively low." I realize they're a just fine way of looking at proportional data. But I'm still not convinced proportions are what we need to be worried about in many cases we have a just fine pie chart. That's probably short sighted or elitist but I'm ok with that.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Oh my god did they just plot the R0s as proportion of a whole???? Why in the gently caress.

klafbang posted:

Pie charts are good for showing which percentage of pie charts that look like PacMan. It's around 75%.

How about pyramids.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

If our visual design aspires to no more, you can hypnotize them with some red or green circles, up, down, or sideways arrows. Or maybe some clip art of a duck giving a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Honestly, this is pretty much what data visualisation is for. In any serious analysis, a simple grid of numbers is going to be much more useful than a graph, since if you want to think about what a graph is saying for more than a couple of seconds you're going to be looking at the numbers already and a straightforward grid will save your eyes dancing across the page to find them on their relevant bar or segment or whatever. Plenty of times you'll see both together, though this is more likely in a report (where you can choose for yourself what you want a quick skim vs deeper analysis) rather than a presentation.

What graphs are good for is to give a quick "good or bad" to an audience without much patience for analysis, while giving them assurance that the analysis exists somewhere because you can see the vague shape of the numbers on this graph.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, this is pretty much what data visualisation is for. In any serious analysis, a simple grid of numbers is going to be much more useful than a graph, since if you want to think about what a graph is saying for more than a couple of seconds you're going to be looking at the numbers already and a straightforward grid will save your eyes dancing across the page to find them on their relevant bar or segment or whatever. Plenty of times you'll see both together, though this is more likely in a report (where you can choose for yourself what you want a quick skim vs deeper analysis) rather than a presentation.

What graphs are good for is to give a quick "good or bad" to an audience without much patience for analysis, while giving them assurance that the analysis exists somewhere because you can see the vague shape of the numbers on this graph.

Historically, engineering really believed in charts for usability. There's a reason that, until modern computers were a thing, psychrometric charts for instance were charts instead of tables.

Admittedly, that's like the opposite case of a pie chart, but.

Unreal_One has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Mar 5, 2020

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

There are some that are useful.

For example, here's a single image that shows both a proper time to use a pie chart and a bad execution of it.

The pie charts show total wealth in each of these three countries, by quintile: the US, where the top quintile has 84% of wealth; Sweden, where the top quintile has 36%; and a hypothetical country where everyone has exactly equal wealth.

It's a good time to use a pie chart to help people visually see the differences between these three scenarios and help them pick preferences, which was the point. The USA one and the hypothetical equality one are both good and visually clear. The Sweden one is a huge mess because for some bizarre reason the slices are all mixed up so they don't go in an order that makes sense.

I believe the colors are consistent between all the charts, with the lightest color representing the top quintile, and getting darker as it goes down. Thus it's the second-highest quintile that holds 36% of total wealth in Sweden, while the highest quintile holds 11%

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Kantesu posted:

I believe the colors are consistent between all the charts, with the lightest color representing the top quintile, and getting darker as it goes down. Thus it's the second-highest quintile that holds 36% of total wealth in Sweden, while the highest quintile holds 11%

18%. The lowest quintile is the one with 11%.

Which is, uh. As an American: Wow.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kantesu posted:

That literally cannot be true, since by definition the highest wealth quintile must have the highest number for proportion of wealth.

e: if you go to the actual paper they provide this confusing clarification:

quote:

We used Sweden’s income rather than wealth distribution because it provided a clearer contrast to the other two wealth distribution examples; although more equal than the United States’ wealth distribution, Sweden’s wealth distribution is still extremely top heavy.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/8bc5/f17b42e242e05e9ec10335adb5c0e8056e63.pdf?_ga=2.88246235.1185420695.1583440282-1377307461.1583440282

vyelkin has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Mar 5, 2020

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
^Yeah, the whole thing seems sort of questionable.

Here's a funny thing. This is the source of that image:

https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publica...227d08b71be.pdf

According to a note in there, the Sweden chart isn't actually a chart of wealth distribution, but income distribution. Sweden's wealth distribution actually looks a lot like the US's, and they wanted something that looked appreciably "in between" the equal distribution and the US one.

The "Sweden" graph does seem to be super screwed. First, the note about it not actually being the same measure as the other graph of real data. Second, it lends itself to the mistake I just made (which I now believe would require a massive contortion of what constitutes a "quintile" to be the correct interpretation). Third, yeah, that isn't at all how that chart should be arranged.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HIV more contagious than the flu?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is doubly bullshit, because it diminishes how contagious COVID-19 is. The real takeaway message should be "coronavirus is about as contagious as the flu" instead of "coronavirus is waaaay less contagious than one of the most infectious diseases in history sweet jesus get your MMR"

It's The Australian, it's the worst Murdoch bullshit on the planet so anything they ever say is suspect and it should only ever be used to start a fire, if that fire is going to be used to burn more copies of The Australian

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Theris posted:

Is there a name for the phenomena where a serious problem is discovered -> it hits the media and the general public gets concerned -> people like HSM say things like "why are you worried, remember the last time there was something like this and nothing happened?" -> a poo poo ton of resources and labor go into stopping the problem or mitigating the worst outcomes so the most serious predicted effects don't happen -> people like HSM say "See? I was right all along, you stupid panicking sheeple. :smug:"?

Disease outbreaks are the most common example, but Y2K is probably the most well known. (With ozone depletion/the CFC ban as a dark horse. Climate denialists love to drop "Remember when the ozone layer was going to disappear?")

Public health initiatives, and I guess any actions taken to better the lives of people, allow people to forget the original problem in the long-term because people fall sway to idiot ideologues and vote against the ongoing solution once the problem becomes a distant memory. So you could call them self-defeating.

Ozone depletion is a great example, but there's also labor laws, consumer protection laws, workplace safety regulations, banking regulations, food hygiene standards, public school/university, social safety net programs, labor unions, progressive taxation, vaccine initiatives, criminal justice reforms, environmental regulations, family planning programs, abortion rights, reproductive healthcare programs, childcare subsidies, daycare, drug abuse treatment, needle exchanges etc. etc. etc.

Take pretty much any center right to extreme right platform that's seeking to cut government spending on X or proposing to do away with Y and you got mountains of history and evidence that led to the solution being implemented and also proves them wrong. Whether that solution is properly implemented in the society you live in is based on how much influence those politicians or the spineless centrists have had in order to water down the solutions.

Edit: I'd also like to say that it's considered burdensome to have regulations by individuals trying to work in a regulated industry because they literally do not care about what they do. Chefs who care about their food tend to care about the standards that prevent them from poisoning people for some reason.

Mauser has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Mar 6, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Platystemon posted:

HIV more contagious than the flu?

You've never sneezed and given someone AIDS?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

also lmao as I was going through an old imgur dump to find that image I came across this amazing example of a pie chart, that definitely belongs in this thread:

Yeah see the problem with 24 hour news networks is less that they are using pie charts for things that are bad to use pie charts for, and more that they just use graphs in general as a form of clip-art, as if to say "what you are looking at is data" and nothing more.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

klafbang posted:

Pie charts are good for showing which percentage of pie charts that look like PacMan. It's around 75%.

Also, how much of the Egyptian landscape is a pyramid, the pyramid in the shade, or the sky.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mauser posted:

Edit: I'd also like to say that it's considered burdensome to have regulations by individuals trying to work in a regulated industry because they literally do not care about what they do. Chefs who care about their food tend to care about the standards that prevent them from poisoning people for some reason.

Eh, to an extent. The company I work for has been doing a lot of work to prove that we're acting in our customers' best interests, even though doing so is a huge part of our reputation. So the paperwork around the regulations can add a burden, even if the regulations are necessary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This story explains what makes this chart awful

quote:

The chart is a hopeless mess and almost everything it shows is wrong. The main argument the paper makes is that the only way Sanders could retain his relative strength in polls (compared to moderates like Biden) in an actual general-election contest is if there were an improbable “youth turnout surge” — which they estimate at “11 percentage points.”

The authors get this idea from the fact that a certain category of young people — mainly Democrats and independents in the 18-34 age bracket — currently boost Sanders’ relative standing in the polls by saying they would turn out to vote for Sanders but would not turn out for a moderate Democrat.

According to the authors, these Bernie-or-Bust respondents represent about 11 percent of all non-Republican 18-34-year-olds, which means that if they all turned out to vote for Sanders, the turnout rate for the “non-Republican 18-34-year-old” demographic would be 11 percentage points higher than it would be if Joe Biden were the nominee and they all stayed home.

At some point in the authors’ thought process they appear to have confused this counterfactual difference in turnout — the difference between a world where Sanders wins the nomination and a world where Biden does — with a sequential increase in turnout that occurs over some historical time period — say, from 2016 to 2020.

That is presumably how they were able to produce the chart above, a disastrous tangle of confusions and errors. The chart’s solid line shows the trajectory taken by the actual youth turnout rate between 1996 and 2016, as reported by the Census Bureau. (The Census uses different age brackets than the authors; the solid line here is showing the turnout rate for 18-29-year-olds.)

The dotted line that the authors have tacked onto the chart, tracing out an 11 percentage point jump, is presumably supposed to represent the size of the counterfactual turnout increase implied by the Bernie-or-Busters’ survey responses.

But the unmistakable — and yet completely mistaken — message the chart conveys is that this is how improbably high the “youth turnout rate” would have to climb in 2020 for Sanders to match his current polling strength: 54.4%. The chart even displays an inset containing the totally fictitious claim that, “To believe Sanders is as electable as the moderate candidates, his nomination must increase youth turnout by 30% over 2016.”

It should not be hard to see why this is wrong. If 11% of “non-Republican 18-34-year-olds” say they would turn out to vote for Candidate A but not Candidate B, that tells you nothing about what the actual “youth turnout rate” would be if Candidate A got on the ballot and those 11% all turned out to vote for him.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Thought that was the wizard school map for a second:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1234229657702207490?s=19

What continent is the green area north of the MIDDLE EAST supposed to be?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

SerialKilldeer posted:

What's wrong with Uagadou? Burkina Faso has a capital named Ouagadougou; I assume it's a similar etymology.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

SerialKilldeer posted:

What are the odds that some brexiter has used this map as an argument along the lines of “look, the UK (and Ireland, somehow) matters on a global scale; we’ve got our own wizard school and all.”

Also, let’s lump Belgium and the Netherlands in with the Latin ones instead of the Germanic and Indo-European ones

klafbang has a new favorite as of 11:23 on Mar 7, 2020

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SerialKilldeer posted:

the Japan/Korea one is just the words for "magic" and "place"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

What's wrong with Uagadou? Burkina Faso has a capital named Ouagadougou; I assume it's a similar etymology.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

There's absolutely no way JK Rowling knows what language it is, let alone has she given any thought to etymology. The only thing you can say for it is she didn't obviously make it up by typing "magic" into Google Translate like she did with Japanese, Russian, and Portugese.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Portuguese one is just "witch castle". :allears:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Italy and Greece just don't go to magic school?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I don't understand, Scholomance is already a thing you could co-opt, why not just take the laziest possible way out like the rest of the things JKR has done?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

That spelling comes from the French colonial era, which I guess is the same thing for the Americas. Does this mean that the wizard schools are post-colonial ? Am I putting more thought into this than they did?

From what I can find Ouagadougou doesn't have any link with magic, which the other foreign language words have. It feels very :effort:.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fathis Munk posted:

That spelling comes from the French colonial era, which I guess is the same thing for the Americas. Does this mean that the wizard schools are post-colonial ? Am I putting more thought into this than they did?

From what I can find Ouagadougou doesn't have any link with magic, which the other foreign language words have. It feels very :effort:.

Y’all are arguing about the etymology of a place named flippantly by someone who thought the only character of Asian descent should be named Cho Chang.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

HardDiskD posted:

As in, a castle that is itself a witch.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

Am I putting more thought into this than they did?

It's JK Rowling, so the answer is always yes.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

HardDiskD posted:

Like a magic architectural transformer? That'd be pretty cool, but is probably not what Rowling intended.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grassy Knowles posted:

Y’all are arguing about the etymology of a place named flippantly by someone who thought the only character of Asian descent should be named Cho Chang.

It's mindboggling to me that people have invested so much of their identity into this stupid book series by one British author. At least with, I don't know, Buffy you could point to a variety of people who've worked on it throughout its run, and even then, come on, just get a more diverse set of touchstones or something.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

SerialKilldeer posted:

Like a magic architectural transformer? That'd be pretty cool, but is probably not what Rowling intended.

Missed opportunity to call it Alexander

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SerialKilldeer posted:

Sounds like a tingler to me. "Eaten right by my sexy school who is also a witch castle" or something like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SerialKilldeer posted:

Rowl’s Moving Castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1235865328074153986

Awful graph?

It’s at least chaotic good.