Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bob Mundon posted:

Speaking of flattening, have a old Stanley jack plane I restored but still need to take care of the sole. What do you guys like to use for a flat surface? Have a roll of sandpaper that will work well, but seems like all the tiles at the store I check aren't really flat. Or does it not really matter and just use something close enough?

So far I have been using my table saw top with sandpaper clamped to it. I wish I had something like a granite surface plate, but this will do for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Seems like that's a go to, but no table saw available.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Falco posted:

So far I have been using my table saw top with sandpaper clamped to it. I wish I had something like a granite surface plate, but this will do for now.

Granite surface plate is best, but that's like $40 for a flat surface. Another good option is a large format tile from home depot or some store like that, just make sure it's flat. The last time I flattened my #7 I used that and some adhesive backed sandpaper.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Maybe a piece of glass?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Anyone have recommendations for some sort of combo mulcher/blower (like this but not this exact model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z63K1O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_02ZuEb54M3VPJ)

I have parts of my yard that I can’t really get my mower in to simply mulch up leaves and a decent amount of flower beds that I usually have to take leaves out of and haul them to the garden or down to the street for town pickups.

It seems like something that would be super handy (especially with a bag) but I have no idea if they’re any good.

I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GTVT5RW/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_U8gvEb9F1G66S

It's great for the pecan trees in my yard, but chokes on the magnolia leaves.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Achtane posted:

Maybe a piece of glass?

$39.99

https://www.rockler.com/plate-glass-sharpening-system-fine

E: although I bet a piece of "specialty" glass from the hardware store might be flat and cheap enough?

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 25, 2020

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bob Mundon posted:

Speaking of flattening, have a old Stanley jack plane I restored but still need to take care of the sole. What do you guys like to use for a flat surface? Have a roll of sandpaper that will work well, but seems like all the tiles at the store I check aren't really flat. Or does it not really matter and just use something close enough?

https://taytools.com/collections/su...ry-sharp-system

I have a pair of these, except the bigger version which they seems to be out of.

https://taytools.com/collections/su...ry-sharp-system

If you have a glass place around you can see if they have any scrap float glass as well.

Not sure if flex is an issue, but I use this on my flat table or workbench since they are kinda thin. The Rockford one is 1/4" thick, but is a much larger piece.

Edit: Alternative: Go big or go home https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW4167T/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Any reason to get higher than Grade B for weekend woodworking? I can't think of anything that would need that precision.

I would do occasional metal lapping for things like cylinder heads.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 25, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
48"x36"x6" grade A, 1200lbs. :fap:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

JEEVES420 posted:

48"x36"x6" grade A, 1200lbs. :fap:

With Prime free delivery.

I went to their site and the cost is like :10bux: less on the one I linked, but the shipping is $90.

That 1200lbs one is will call only on their site.

Also they are only 2 hours from me.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 25, 2020

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Grizzly has the 12x9x2 on sale right now for $30 if you’ve got one locally. It’s a pretty solid deal for a surface plate.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...9hoCVXkQAvD_BwE

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you don't need anything too big, you could look for a place that does granite counter tops and raid their dumpster.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Are the rotary tool drill press things a total waste? I’ve got a few holes to drop through 2-4mm brass plate, and I’d prefer them to be perpendicular to the surface. I’m in a small flat so something storeable would be best. I had noticed this thing from dremel
My gut tells me it’ll be terrible, but what does it know?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Vindolanda posted:

Are the rotary tool drill press things a total waste? I’ve got a few holes to drop through 2-4mm brass plate, and I’d prefer them to be perpendicular to the surface. I’m in a small flat so something storeable would be best. I had noticed this thing from dremel

I have that. It'll work for what you want, but yeah, it's not great. Not terrible, but not great either.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

If you don't need anything too big, you could look for a place that does granite counter tops and raid their dumpster.

Or just go to Lowe's and get a 12" x 12" polished granite tile.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Vindolanda posted:

I’d use something like the Milescraft Drillmate. Only issue I’ve had is the springs are super stiff.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Vindolanda posted:

My dad has one, it was way better than I thought it would be. We were using it with a water tub to drill holes in shiny rocks with diamond bits.

I already have a big drill press and I'm considering buying the Dremel one for smaller jobs, as the chuck is humongous and won't effectively grab wire-size drill bits like the Dremel chuck can.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What forums sales page do I need to be searching for used lathes for bowl turning (IE over 16" swing). I missed out on a chance to buy a repairable powermatic 3520b locally; facebook and craigslist are a wasteland of cheap poo poo, midi lathes, cheap midi lathes, and older stuff without that swing. Are there other brand names or keywords I should be using? I'm ok with some repair or /maybe/ dealing with a 3 phase motor adaptation / replacing

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Dielectric posted:

My dad has one, it was way better than I thought it would be. We were using it with a water tub to drill holes in shiny rocks with diamond bits.

I already have a big drill press and I'm considering buying the Dremel one for smaller jobs, as the chuck is humongous and won't effectively grab wire-size drill bits like the Dremel chuck can.

Thanks (and thanks to the others who replied). I think I’ll go for that - always good to know I can drill a hole in a shiny rock too if needs be.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dielectric posted:

I put a pin vice in the chuck of my meddings for anything below 3mm

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have one of those dremel drill press thingies I use mostly for drilling DIY PCB boards.
The one I have isn't a dremel branded unit but it's also able to be converted into a tiny router table that's actually been really useful for some things as well.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

I have one of those dremel drill press thingies I use mostly for drilling DIY PCB boards.
The one I have isn't a dremel branded unit but it's also able to be converted into a tiny router table that's actually been really useful for some things as well.

Have you got a link to one? That does sound really useful.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Still waiting on replacement guide bearings and I'm missing a couple of screws and bolts here and there, but I've got this Grizzly rebuilt

https://twitter.com/RottenTunaGames/status/1235794200144367616?s=20

It has like a .... jump? Every half second, you can hear it in the video. I'm thinking the blade is hosed, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

Still waiting on replacement guide bearings and I'm missing a couple of screws and bolts here and there, but I've got this Grizzly rebuilt

https://twitter.com/RottenTunaGames/status/1235794200144367616?s=20

It has like a .... jump? Every half second, you can hear it in the video. I'm thinking the blade is hosed, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Yeah you need a new blade. The jump is either a bent tooth or a kink in the blade or most likely just the weld in the blade rubbing against the guides. Rounding off the back of the blade with a stone will help. That blade seems super dull too from how hard you are having to push the wood through it.

E: also I wouldn't cut MDF with a bandsaw if you can help it. It dulls stuff super fast and bandsaw teeth are just carbon steel not carbide.

It occurs to me that the belt from the motor to the drive wheel might be slipping and not tensioned correctly (too loose) even with a dull blade it shouldn't be bogging down in 3/4 MDF. Could be not enough tension on the blade, but when I first got my saw it kept bogging down and tightening the belt fixed it.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 7, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or a broken/missing/chipped tooth on the blade.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah you need a new blade. The jump is either a bent tooth or a kink in the blade or most likely just the weld in the blade rubbing against the guides. Rounding off the back of the blade with a stone will help. That blade seems super dull too from how hard you are having to push the wood through it.

E: also I wouldn't cut MDF with a bandsaw if you can help it. It dulls stuff super fast and bandsaw teeth are just carbon steel not carbide.

It occurs to me that the belt from the motor to the drive wheel might be slipping and not tensioned correctly (too loose) even with a dull blade it shouldn't be bogging down in 3/4 MDF. Could be not enough tension on the blade, but when I first got my saw it kept bogging down and tightening the belt fixed it.

That's a scrap piece of pine, not MDF

But that's a fair point about the motor tension. It takes a fuckin while to spin up all the way so there's a good chance of that being part of the issue.

In any case, this is mothballed for a week while I wait for new blades and a couple more replacement parts. Turns out half the poo poo that was bent or worn was only like $1 from Grizzly? gently caress am I putting the tensioning rod into a vice to straighten it out when it's literally $1 to get a brand new one

As well as some bearing posts and weird locking thumbscrew things

But of course the dust port has long been discontinued so I had to 3d print that over 10 iterations

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The bandsaw at work can cut aluminum really well but struggles with any kind of wood, I think the teeth are too small maybe. But it looks just like that video

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Surely the blades for aluminium and wood are totally different and that's why it's struggling? :psyduck:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

Surely the blades for aluminium and wood are totally different and that's why it's struggling? :psyduck:

Not really. You just need 3+ teeth engaged in the material. I cut thick aluminum with an aggressive low tooth count blade and it flies through it. Thin stuff? High tooth count blade.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sharkytm posted:

Not really. You just need 3+ teeth engaged in the material. I cut thick aluminum with an aggressive low tooth count blade and it flies through it. Thin stuff? High tooth count blade.

Correct. You cut aluminum with fine tooth and low set blade and you're going to get an alumaweld blade with no teeth.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh okay, never tried to cut anything other than wood or plastic with my wood bandsaw, I'll keep that in mind thanks!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh okay, never tried to cut anything other than wood or plastic with my wood bandsaw, I'll keep that in mind thanks!

Wait till you see someone cut a 4x8 sheet of aluminum on a table saw.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Aluminum bandsaw chat:
These things slice pieces off huge ingots/Slabs of aluminum (I guess to then roll into plate?) and they are huge and cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8obR3_Ir5_/?igshid=13te5rz1tr7sc

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Aluminum bandsaw chat:
These things slice pieces off huge ingots/Slabs of aluminum (I guess to then roll into plate?) and they are huge and cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8obR3_Ir5_/?igshid=13te5rz1tr7sc

I don't think the thin cut-off there is the point, that'd extremely wasteful. I'm pretty sure that example is either A. squaring up/sizing the edge of the big block, or B. just them showing off how straight they can cut over a long distance.

Still an awesome tool. They claim 50 micron flatness and 20 micron roughness on that edge, which is pretty incredible.

EDIT: Holy hell look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUC3gN4xdjo

Karia fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 7, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Pressure Washer Opinions needed:

https://simpsoncleaning.com/products/simpson-megashot-ms60773-s/

Any thoughts on this Simpson versus the Generacs or other brands? Use will be light (mainly occasionally cleaning siding, cars, and my new Trex deck) but I want something with enough power to do anything I would need it to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I like my karchers, but honestly I think the most important thing is the engine. And that's a good one.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Samadhi posted:

Any thoughts on this Simpson versus the Generacs or other brands? Use will be light (mainly occasionally cleaning siding, cars, and my new Trex deck) but I want something with enough power to do anything I would need it to do.

I have a generac and it's pretty good. Starts right up with a pull or two. 4 different pressure setting. Enough power to do any task around the house. I did swap out the hose for one of those green flexible ones because the factory one kinda sucked.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Samadhi posted:

I bought that exact washer last year. Plenty of power for everything I have needed to do:
- stains on concrete and pavement
- siding cleaning
- blowing the poo poo out of all the spaces in my patio and refilling
and more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Only potential downside is that it doesn't throttle down when not actively pumping, but with a little planning you shouldn't have it on and not spraying anyway.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

TacoHavoc posted:

I bought that exact washer last year. Plenty of power for everything I have needed to do:
- stains on concrete and pavement
- siding cleaning
- blowing the poo poo out of all the spaces in my patio and refilling
and more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Only potential downside is that it doesn't throttle down when not actively pumping, but with a little planning you shouldn't have it on and not spraying anyway.

Have you used it on your vehicles at all? If so, how easy is it to adjust the power/what did you have to change, just the nozzle?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Requesting recommendations for a homeowner laser level. $150 or under would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I bought this $40 one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N33JJ3R

a couple years ago, I've never tested it for accuracy but it looked alright.
It's pretty easy to use if you've already got some way of adjusting the height like a tripod.