Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Which two games should I remove from Humble Choice? They all look decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

err posted:

?!

Also, as a non-subscriber, am I blind or do they try their very hardest to hide what the names of the games actually are? There might be a blurry tiny pic somewhere, or a snippet from a poster, but to find an actual list you need to google it and find the names off-site. Insane.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They announce it in the blog which like all good websites is a hyperlink down at the bottom of the page and nowhere else.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

err posted:

Skip Turok easily, the other is a personal taste thing but I dumped My Friend Pedro because I've heard it's quite repetitive.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

END ME SCOOB posted:

Skip Turok easily, the other is a personal taste thing but I dumped My Friend Pedro because I've heard it's quite repetitive.

The core game is a side-scrolling shooter but the game regularly introduces new stuff until near the end. I thought it was a lot of fun if you play it through once and don't go for rank maxing.

It's repetitive like a Mario or Sonic game are repetitive.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How does D:OS2 run on a kind of lovely computer? The original ran just fine but a lot of newer poo poo, forget about it
Depends on the computer in question but I managed to run it on a 2016 laptop that wasn't even a gaming machine so there is a chance.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 8, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I picked Synthetik: Legion Rising up on a friend's recommendation, I hadn't heard a thing about it but holy poo poo it's a rad little roguelite/twin stick shooter/binding of isaac-like thingie. You're a gun guy, you find and upgrade many guns while running around procedural levels that escalate in difficulty, you guys know the drill. A few big pluses:

The movement and gunplay feel really, really good. Guns feel great to fire, visuals and sound effects are crisp and thunky, your dude feels appropriately heavy in spite of zipping around pretty quickly.

There are eight classes, and the class-specific gameplay is wildly variable: some guys are big and tanky, some zip around and pick up dogtags from dead enemies that apply buff stacks, one is literally just the TF2 spy, and so forth.

RNG is fairly reasonable. You still have the Dead Cells/Isaac problem of occasional OP runs being completely at the whim of the drop tables, but I've never felt that I was severely gimped when I had bad drops.

Lastly, it has a free variant called Synthetik: Arena that lets you screw around with the core gameplay.

So yeah, I dunno- it doesn't do anything new or original, but it's a really, really fun implementation of a tried & true roguelite concept, so I thought it was worth giving it a shout-out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

err posted:

F1 2019 seems like an obvious cut unless you're into that specific form of racing.

Planet Coaster has its appeal but it is pointedly 90% bonsai garden-style meticulously detailing your dream theme park down to the pyrotechnics and sound effects and everything and then like 10% actual theme park sim ala Rollercoaster Tycoon, so YMMV.

Turok 1 hasn't aged great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Death's Gambit is one you can get rid of fairly safely. It's a 2D Soulslike clone in the vein of Salt and Sanctuary, but except for being really pretty, there isn't much substance to it. I'm one of those people who actually really, really liked Salt and Sanctuary and of course the even better Blasphemous, but Death's Gambit lost me an hour in and I haven't touched it since.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Death's Gambit is also free on game pass.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oxxidation posted:

does metro exodus have yuri lowenthal, steve blum and mona marshall voicing 80% of the cast as well or do they finally branch out a bit

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

not if you change voice language to russian

Metro Exodus has a character that is from America and is voiced by Steve Blum just using his regular speaking voice (assuming he has one). He has a conversation with another character (Alyosha) in the Caspian level that is a bit weird. I kind of wonder if in the Russian version they are talking English for a couple of lines or whether Alyosha is imitating his accent. It feels like something that got lost in translation.

Metro Exodus also features two kids, and neither of them is voiced by that one person who voiced all the children in the previous Metro games. Rejoice!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I just caught coronavirus but now I'm recovered again. Is this the right thread for quarantined gamer-americans?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

It never was, really, just overly grindy.
"But you can earn it through gameplay [by playing for 5000 hours]" is an argument every P2W game uses for why it's not P2W.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

How does D:OS2 run on a kind of lovely computer? The original ran just fine but a lot of newer poo poo, forget about it

Its very flexible, but a 1030, 8gb ram and I think a ryzen 1500 was too little for 30fps on 1680x1050

Orv
May 4, 2011

orcane posted:

"But you can earn it through gameplay [by playing for 5000 hours]" is an argument every P2W game uses for why it's not P2W.

Planetside 2 is rare in that - unless this has changed in the last year or so - the vast majority of its earned materiel is genuinely side grades instead of a climbing scale of power. Certs, which concern how class/attachment/vehicle stuff is unlocked do come in twice as fast with a subscription and you will be at a disadvantage in terms of options but someone with the starter guns can by and large kill anyone else.

Unfortunately Planteside 2's problems are considerably more structural and designed than any kind of P2W problem and if you aren't playing it already it's not particularly worth getting into now due to how bad the solo experience is and how dire the community is if you want to stop playing solo.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Paused my Humble Choice because the only thing I kinda want is Exapunks. That said, Fell Seal doesn't look too bad and Niffelheim might be OK, I guess?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Fell Seal is very good in that it feels basically exactly like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Niffelheim is a bit weird. You might think it looks like another Soulslike thing, but it's really more of a time management/dungeon diving/crafting thing. You have a shitload of stats you can increase and you keep diving into this mine thing full of monster to collect ore and stuff like that, you can upgrade your home base defenses... Well, like I said, it's weird.

Built to support multiplayer, though, apparently. I think four players can be active at once and each gets their own base that will then be attacked by monster hordes on a semi-regular basis.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
So did the Rimworld expansion actually add anything interesting or is all the huff about it being just a paid mod true?

I read their "going forward" letter and they were pretty up front about saying they will try not to break mods, but the next big update will probably do just that.

Now that I think about it, I guess I just might as well buy it since the above will probably happen sooner than later and it will never go on sale ever.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm not sure how lovely you're talking, but I never had trouble playing it on my 9 year old rig. I can't remember what the specs were in that, but it was a nice mid-tier computer back in 2011 when I built it. D:OS2 is not a particularly needy game though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Orv posted:

Planetside 2 is rare in that - unless this has changed in the last year or so - the vast majority of its earned materiel is genuinely side grades instead of a climbing scale of power. Certs, which concern how class/attachment/vehicle stuff is unlocked do come in twice as fast with a subscription and you will be at a disadvantage in terms of options but someone with the starter guns can by and large kill anyone else.

Unfortunately Planteside 2's problems are considerably more structural and designed than any kind of P2W problem and if you aren't playing it already it's not particularly worth getting into now due to how bad the solo experience is and how dire the community is if you want to stop playing solo.

I just wanted a modern version of Planetside 1 with better graphics. drat I loved that game. I read about the upcoming patch and it looks like it's going to be adding a whole lot of stuff for outfits to do coordinated attacks and stuff. Who knows, could be fun. I actually still have some fun bucks or whatever in the game that I never spent so maybe I should load it up again, but if I recall the interface for buying stuff and certing is a nightmare to figure out.

Those games could be some of the most fun things with a good group of people supporting each other, but were usually pretty awful solo. So it might be worth checking out of the game still has a decent goon presence. Maybe the upcoming patch will change that?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Fell Seal is very good in that it feels basically exactly like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Fell Seal is excellent. It's Final Fantasy Tactics, basically. Definitely worth getting if you're getting this monthly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I just wanted a modern version of Planetside 1 with better graphics. drat I loved that game. I read about the upcoming patch and it looks like it's going to be adding a whole lot of stuff for outfits to do coordinated attacks and stuff. Who knows, could be fun. I actually still have some fun bucks or whatever in the game that I never spent so maybe I should load it up again, but if I recall the interface for buying stuff and certing is a nightmare to figure out.

Those games could be some of the most fun things with a good group of people supporting each other, but were usually pretty awful solo. So it might be worth checking out of the game still has a decent goon presence. Maybe the upcoming patch will change that?

I think GOKU might still play occasionally but couldn't say for sure and beyond that I believe there is no coordinated goon presence.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm not sure how lovely you're talking, but I never had trouble playing it on my 9 year old rig. I can't remember what the specs were in that, but it was a nice mid-tier computer back in 2011 when I built it. D:OS2 is not a particularly needy game though.
I was able to run it on an i5-2500k, 8 gigs of RAM and a graphics card made in 2013 or so, they don't even sell those anymore. I think it would probably run decently well on my work laptop. Anyone who has even that much can play it fine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I was able to run it on an i5-2500k, 8 gigs of RAM and a graphics card made in 2013 or so, they don't even sell those anymore. I think it would probably run decently well on my work laptop. Anyone who has even that much can play it fine.

It also has a TON of graphics options that let it scale down and up quite nicely.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Griefor posted:

Fell Seal is excellent. It's Final Fantasy Tactics, basically. Definitely worth getting if you're getting this monthly.

So it's FFT but the characters are modded to look like seals? You've sold me

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's an ongoing LP of Fell Seal right now. Check out the first few updates if you want to see how the game plays.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fell Seal looks cool but it also seems like the kind of game that would eventually come to MS Gamepass.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

lordfrikk posted:

And the rest which nobody probably wants are without any letter replacements:
Super Life of Pixel XTVRD-F98HF-3QEY6

I grabbed this key, a full four hours after the post, so I guess you weren't really wrong about people wanting them. Thanks though!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Whoo

Just beat DOOM 2016 on Nightmare. Got that in under the wire.

Think ultimately Ultra Violence is more my speed but it is done.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

GOKU does play regularly, we're on Mattherson, Vanu Sovereignty. We have ops twice weekly, sometimes thrice depending on who's around to lead. I expect a lot more people will start showing up after this bastion (basically a flying aircraft carrier) patch drops. PGS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845393

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone know how to change which games appear on the start screen for the Steam Link App? Like if I could swap out the games at the bottom for new ones, that would be great. I'm not seeing any settings or anything for it though, and it's not showing my most recent games played. So far as I can tell, it's just showing the first three games I ever loaded up in the app. It's not a big deal, I was just curious and my google searching is just giving me people with issues on their entire library not showing up.

This screen, for reference:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

But Not Tonight posted:

GOKU does play regularly, we're on Mattherson, Vanu Sovereignty. We have ops twice weekly, sometimes thrice depending on who's around to lead. I expect a lot more people will start showing up after this bastion (basically a flying aircraft carrier) patch drops. PGS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845393

I think my main dude was NC Emerald. I don't remember a lot about the game but I do remember it being a pretty big grind to level up and get access to more stuff. Is it still just as bad?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

A Sometimes Food posted:

Whoo

Just beat DOOM 2016 on Nightmare. Got that in under the wire.

Think ultimately Ultra Violence is more my speed but it is done.

Same. I played through on Nightmare but UV it’s where it’s at for me.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I mentioned up thread about getting a low end laptop for learning CK2 and it got me thinking it’d be nice to have for games in my library that are either old or not demanding. So I think initially I’d want it to be able to handle CK2, FTL and Into the Breach, Supergiant games up through Hades, with Fallout NV/Skyrim being the most demanding probably?

Would an i3 with integrated graphics, 8 gb of RAM and a SSD manage those? I wouldn’t want to spend more than $350 tax included.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cinara posted:

Death's Gambit is also free on game pass.

As is My Friend Pedro, and it's a pretty short game unless you want to start score attacking it over and over.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I mentioned up thread about getting a low end laptop for learning CK2 and it got me thinking it’d be nice to have for games in my library that are either old or not demanding. So I think initially I’d want it to be able to handle CK2, FTL and Into the Breach, Supergiant games up through Hades, with Fallout NV/Skyrim being the most demanding probably?

Would an i3 with integrated graphics, 8 gb of RAM and a SSD manage those? I wouldn’t want to spend more than $350 tax included.

I've got a laptop with Intel uhd 620 integrated graphics and it runs those fine. You'll need to turn down the quality/resolution settings on FNV/Skyrim at least. Also I'm running the old Skyrim not sure how the special edition does.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fallout New Vegas might be a bit on the edge, but the rest would run just fine. Skyrim I honestly wouldn't expect to work with that kind system, even with minimum settings.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Remember when the really big games like Baldur's Gate 2 actually came in a 4+ slot jewel case with up to half a dozen CD-ROMs inside?

I guess with some modern games being 100+ GB downloads, even that wouldn't be enough anymore. Have fun switching disks twenty-five times.

I actually had a few collector's edition for games like Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires and C&C. They came in MASSIVE loving boxes with a bunch of goodies. I used my command & conqueror mouse for most of my teenage years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Fallout New Vegas might be a bit on the edge, but the rest would run just fine. Skyrim I honestly wouldn't expect to work with that kind system, even with minimum settings.
i think it should run okay. the cpu is not so hot but the 620 is adequate enough for that era. as someone who has a bed laptop with an i5 and intel 620, the cutoff point for 60fps gameplay is maybe 2012... but there are still games after that point that can run alright, you maybe get to 2015 before it starts to drop below 30fps at low settings

dark souls 2 ran fine on it, for example. while my time at portia ran worse than the switch version lol

then sometimes there's stuff that just surprised me, like subnautica ran okay on it. but it had trouble with snake pass. dragon's dogma ran passably, but the signal from tolva was unplayable.

ultimately i got a work laptop with a 1050ti in it that could handle my day job stuff while also allowing me to play most modern games on medium settings (naturally the cut-off point will happen when the next-gen consoles come out... oh well)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Fell Seal looks cool but it also seems like the kind of game that would eventually come to MS Gamepass.

Game Pass and Humble Choice seem to have quite a bit of overlap and having both seems like a waste. Humble has the advantage of letting you keep the games and not being tied to the worst launcher on PC.

I'll most likely be keeping my grandfathered Humble Choice and get rid of GP when my two years of Gold-converted GP ends. Microsoft Store is such a terrible piece of poo poo with its folder locking that it ruins all value GP has. I'll probably just buy one month of GP whenever Microsoft releases something full price and worth playing.