Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

my Ligotti parody would be "the story turned out to be the terminal dream in the snowglobe of a man dying of alcohol poisoning because he spent every waking moment drinking scotch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I would pay very good money for a Ligotti commentary track for any Muppet movie/Muppet Show episode.

It would be an hour and a half of existential screaming punctuated with body-heaving sobs

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Apsyrtes posted:

OP, in the past few pages you have asked for recommendations for:

* must-read early horror or gothic literature that maybe flies a bit under the modern radar
* 18th-19th century stuff
* poetry that's horror-adjacent
* poetry that captures a sense of the macabre, dread, or darker side of human existence
* horror (or horror adjacent) novels with strong gnostic influence

Les Chants de Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont checks all those. You need to read that. I recommend the Alex Lykiard translation, it's a very nice book.

The fact that I was introduced to this work by way of Current 93 kinda ties it in nicely with the rest of the recent thread.

maldoror is one of my favorite books. its wild. the narrator turns in an octopus and fights God and the author died irl under mysterious circumstances during napoleon III's siege of paris.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

uber_stoat posted:

"Then in a great new darkness
You will finally execute your special plan"
*recording ends*
"this guy is an active shooter!"

:hmbol:

Lmao yeah it's a completely wrong take because mere shooting plans don't go far enough

I have not been able to get into anything else by current tho, just doesn't seem to work. Special plan is really tight and well done.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ps

ravenkult posted:

gonna need one of those tags

Extremely same, but I sorta think the secret message should be some tiny snippet of something instead of just the name

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

It would be an hour and a half of existential screaming punctuated with body-heaving sobs

I feel like listening to GonzoCharles Dickens crack jokes about the back of his hand while Ligotti wails with heaven-splitting violence would really set a certain mood. I remain undeterred.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Lmao yeah it's a completely wrong take because mere shooting plans don't go far enough

I have not been able to get into anything else by current tho, just doesn't seem to work. Special plan is really tight and well done.

Yeah I tried to explain Ligotti's world view and IHASPFTW to my fiancee last night

Me: "So he's like... somewhere between a pessimist and a nihilist"
Her: "So he thinks you should kill yourself"
Me: "Well... yes, and no. That's not far enough."
Her: "So he thinks you should kill everyone else"
Me: "Well... again, not quite, that's not far enough."
Her:
Me: "It's like... the only reasonable solution is to undo everything that has existed and return to a state of nothingness because even death and depression are states of being where emotion can be found, and emotion is itself horrible"
Her: "Have fun with that"

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MockingQuantum posted:

I want to read a parody of Ligotti where it's just about a social malcontent dreaming inside a dream about a beautiful woman who turned out to be a puppet, but then he turned out to be a puppet too, and in fact the dream was a puppet
that's not even a parody, it is the truth

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I would pay very good money for a Ligotti commentary track for any Muppet movie/Muppet Show episode.
"the unnatural ebullience of these puppets, or as they identify themselves, "muppets", can only come from the satan"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SniperWoreConverse posted:

you have to be in the right head space for it. like, for example, do not get really drunk and listen to The Seahorse Rears To Oblivion on a loop. it is bad for you.

God lectures them with a whip

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The Mummenschanz episode of the Muppet Show is the correct subject for this

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
decent odds that ligotti converts to shia islam or some extreme trad version of catholicism like sedevacantism when he hits his 70s

Antivehicular posted:

The Mummenschanz episode of the Muppet Show is the correct subject for this

the what

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
changed my mind, he will assuredly join the mystic ranks of the hasidim

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

uber_stoat posted:

you have to be in the right head space for it. like, for example, do not get really drunk and listen to The Seahorse Rears To Oblivion on a loop. it is bad for you.

God lectures them with a whip

I'm gonna try it. My no booze experiment ends in one week and if nobody wants to hang out I'm gonna sit in the dark and get strunted. Will report back.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Found a gift card to a bookstore from a year ago in the bottom of my bag and picked up Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe :)

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chernobyl kinsman posted:

decent odds that ligotti converts to shia islam or some extreme trad version of catholicism like sedevacantism when he hits his 70s
i'll make a subbotnik of him yet

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
realtalk though, it'll be sufism, it always is

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
John Dies at the End was dumb. It had moments of humor but ended up being like one long Family Guy bit. The timeline jumps were jarring and the prose was so-so at the best of times. The kayfaybe was really annoying too- I cannot believe this generated a movie and three books.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

hell yeah I'm a Ligotti Lad now

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Mods, please

I cannot feel the emotion of joy, I'm standing in the doorway looking out into infinite empty blackness irl

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

John Dies at the End was dumb. It had moments of humor but ended up being like one long Family Guy bit. The timeline jumps were jarring and the prose was so-so at the best of times. The kayfaybe was really annoying too- I cannot believe this generated a movie and three books.

That's kind of how I felt about it honestly. I think it would have been one of my favorite books if I'd read it when it came out, since I would have still been in my teens at the time and would have eaten that poo poo up, but I think I missed the window where I really could have enjoyed it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

MockingQuantum posted:

That's kind of how I felt about it honestly. I think it would have been one of my favorite books if I'd read it when it came out, since I would have still been in my teens at the time and would have eaten that poo poo up, but I think I missed the window where I really could have enjoyed it.

For sure- hit me at that 18-20 window, right about when Tucker Max was cool, and it’d be awesome.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Hey now, it also lead to Jason Pargin pretending to be a Chinese-American man for like ten years

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

hell yeah I'm a Ligotti Lad now
So how does one apply for that?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I did it through the Great Thunderdome Bonus Programme (see my earlier post), but we might want to DM Hieronymous Alloy again if Skyscraper doesn't get a reply, to facilitate fair and free gang tags for all.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
I also desire to be a Ligotti Lad, although perhaps that is a bad choice of word, because nothing is desirable or undesirable, or anything else except that it is made so by laboratories inside us producing the emotions on which we live.

Related to Ligotti, a while back I think I saw some discussion in this thread about how he has made changes to some stories in newer publications, and possibly for the worse? I'm curious how substantial these changes were, and whether it's worth trying to track down which versions can be found where.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

dihaploidy posted:

I also desire to be a Ligotti Lad, although perhaps that is a bad choice of word, because nothing is desirable or undesirable, or anything else except that it is made so by laboratories inside us producing the emotions on which we live.

Related to Ligotti, a while back I think I saw some discussion in this thread about how he has made changes to some stories in newer publications, and possibly for the worse? I'm curious how substantial these changes were, and whether it's worth trying to track down which versions can be found where.

My understanding is that the changes ranged from pretty minimal to extensive enough to alter the story. You can probably find out more if you want to delve into the official Ligotti forum, but that place is...different.

Also I'm down for a gang tag if/when they are given out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I also want a gang tag - and as far as the changes go, I think it's mostly to the new Penguin edition of Grimscribe?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I also want a gang tag - and as far as the changes go, I think it's mostly to the new Penguin edition of Grimscribe?

poo poo, that's the one I have I think, if it's the Songs/Grimscribe one?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

deffo in for a gang tag

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Plz bless me with ligotti tag, oh mods. I am not the most prolific poster, but to compensate have some more Ligotti music:

Aside from the much vaunted Special Plan, he did two other collabs with Current 93:

In A Foreign Town, In A Foreign Land (ambient pieces meant to accompany the Ligotti stories)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uo2IHa1hME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMj1VC0FVIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crpxFv48wJ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2_TEbfN0Y

and This Degenerate Little Town, featuring Tom himself reading another long poem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBca33v8oGM

Finally, Tom did his own solo album!
The Unholy City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJsV69bQhYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDNOEV45-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAa9wKKyvSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SOUOROSqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClSb04HPrbU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fetSoZFyBw

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 9, 2020

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Mods, hit me with that Ligotti gang tag too & I'll be whatever kind of withered-husk marionette you want me to be.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Give me that 'gotti gang tag, mods.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Same.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

MockingQuantum posted:

First, I'm looking for some poetry that's horror-adjacent. I'm not thinking stuff like Lovecraft's space mushrooms or Poe's scary birds, but more poetry that captures a sense of the macabre, dread, or darker side of human existence. Someone on SA (chernobyl, possibly?) recommended The Virginia State Colony for Epileptics and Feebleminded and I'm basically looking for more like that.

I like Stephen Dobyns, haven't read a ton of his poems but the ones I have I'd definitely call macabre. Cemetery Nights was the first collection of his I read and I enjoyed Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides too.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Mods, please gimme dat Gotti.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Unfortunately my eyes have been burned out by the horrors I've seen from too many years on SA so I can't see the gang tag right now

(Read: I'll look I to this for y'all later to ight when I'm off work)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unfortunately my eyes have been burned out by the horrors I've seen from too many years on SA so I can't see the gang tag right now

thank you HA I love you

hell, remove all my gang tags but the ligotti one if you want

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thank you! I'd also appreciate one, kind and benevolent puppetmaster moderator!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got the Ligott'...

Now I just need to round it out with the gang tag