Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've been making plans to get see friends of mine (married couple), since they moved out this way (about two hours away) for better medical care for her. Her prognosis was "within a year" basically. Unfortunately, no one expected that meant "In about a month", due to a sudden turn for the worst.

I knew I needed to be fast about getting out there, but....I didn't know just how little time there really was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I work in an industry that requires me to meet in a scientific context with public healthcare professionals. Recently (prior to the COVID-19 outbreak), I've had about 10% of my contacts retire abruptly, across different areas of my territory. With the COVID-19 outbreak, I've lost probably 40-60% more until the outbreak is stabilized. I'm worried my employer will decide my territory isn't worth covering and fire me solely due to these situations outside of my control. It is stressing me out to the point where I'm feeling like i'm going to back to a time when i was clinically depressed. it's hopeless. there's nothing i can do and i have no backup plans since this is supposed to be a career.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SeaTac is freezing cold and I been here 9 hours, it sucks.

Edit: I made it home finally. Been awake 30 hours, in transit for 27. Never doing this again.

When I booked my flights it was 5 months out so they completely rearranged schedules in the meantime so our layover doubled and there was no other option. Learned my lesson: don't book flights so early.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Mar 9, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ive been trying to find out when Im getting laid off for like a month now. Its been a week away the whole time. I was kind of hoping that this week would be it but now it looks like Im working next week too.

I cant complain too much, the money is excellent but Im just so tired. I havent been able to do basically anything but work since by the time my one day off rolls around Im completely burnt.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They're doing that on purpose. They mean to work you to the bone and get as much $$$ per hour out of you as they can before they give you the boot, if you don't quit out of sheer desperation/self-preservation before that happens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Its less nefarious than that and more the actual completion date of this project has slipped a few times but drat if it isnt really annoying. Ive gotta see what my options are as far as unemployment goes when I finally do get laid off, since it looks like the job market is gonna be a total dumpster fire.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I made my doctor cry :(

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I decided to borrow my brothers car to go to physical therapy for my back, leg, and shoulder. It was parked a half mile from our apartment, and i was going to park it in front as this was during the work day and would have open parking in front of our place. half way there, its starts dying and sputtering. I do phys therapy, im wiped out after. check engine light comes n. i get a mile, engine dies. Now i got to push it off the road. get it off the road, and now its time to walk. as my brother is a loving luddite, having no phone, and im too broke to buy an uber ride or the like. my leg screaming in pain, i get home. I get a phone interview. i accidentally reset my phone mid interview, and no call back, and the reset erased the number from my call history.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Two guys at the office were exposed to covid-19, but my company hasn't sent them home. Or addressed the virus in any manner whatsoever even though we work with healthcare companies and the county has seen six thirteen cases. And even though we have the ability to work from home they won't let us.

I Am Not Spor has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Mar 13, 2020

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Time for an anonymous tip to the local news!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Conversely, my company has said everyone* is working from home for 4-8 weeks starting Monday, and if possible, today (thy basically only want people in the office today to get stuff they'll need, like a laptop docking station and monitors, plants at their desks so the don't die, etc...)

*The exception is those employees who are designated on-site for customer support...which I am. The joys of working as an IT contractor.

The customer I am assigned to full time has not made any sort of formal plans, though there are a lot more people who are doing remote/WFH and we're getting more equipment requests to get people monitors, etc... to WFH and we're pretty much out. But I don't think we will ever be told to do WFH ourselves, because, as my manager here likes to say,
"How can anyone possibly work from home? What can you accomplish?! You have to be here to do things! The flu kills far more people a year than corona, no big deal!"

He is Peak Boomer, knows better than anyone on anything. He hated work from home BEFORE this, for anyone, both IT and our customers.

We only have like 2 or 3 confirmed cases in my state, but 1 of which is in my county, and has a shaky, but plausible, line of transmission.

One of my coworkers spent time with a guy who's friend is now in self-quarantine because his coworker is that confirmed case...or something like that?

So it's like:
Confirmed case guy -> Coworker of infected (in self quarantine) -> Friend of coworker -> Coworker -> Me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All the plans for my cousin's bachelor party are pretty much ruined and the hotel won't give us our money back if we cancel. So now there's like 15 of us heading to Indy to get drunk at dive bars.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
e: i would like to retract my complaints

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I know its irresponsible to go now, but I just wanted to enjoy my first real vacation in ten years.

I'm so tired.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
My grandma lives in a dementia care facility on Mercer Island, which is just across a bridge from Seattle. One of the residents was taken to the hospital for an unrelated illness, but when they were there they tested positive for Covid-19.

The whole retirement community is on lockdown with residents advised to say in their homes. No outside guests are allowed for 30 days. My grandpa lives at a connected facility so he can still visit her.

Fortunately at this point they think that the person came into contact with Covid-19 at the hospital as no one at the facility are showing symptoms at this time. My grandma is 88 and is in declining health, so if she caught it, it is pretty much a done deal.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
my cracked front bottom tooth is getting worse, and I'm terrified it's going to fall out :( also I keep overthinking things and hurting my own feelings, and I don't really have a whole lot of those left so it's starting to wear me down. being brokebrained sucks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have what is almost certainly coronavirus. I feel like complete dogshit and its basically going to get me laid off a week early, so Im not thrilled about that.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

I Am Not Spor posted:

Two guys at the office were exposed to covid-19, but my company hasn't sent them home. Or addressed the virus in any manner whatsoever even though we work with healthcare companies and the county has seen six thirteen cases. And even though we have the ability to work from home they won't let us.

The state is issuing a mandatory closure of all non-essential businesses, including what we fall under, "Office Administrative Services", but the CEO and my supervisor are jumping through hoops to claim we're exempt because of the industry we tangentially work with. I was told that if I get pulled over on my way into the office - I live next to a police station, I drive through the largest city in the state, and then through three counties - I show them my business card and they'll let me go :lol:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

If your business card says I am white they probably will!! Ahaha thats a little joke based on how often minority populations have trouble with officers of law enforcement while white people seem to have much less trouble

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I Am Not Spor posted:

The state is issuing a mandatory closure of all non-essential businesses, including what we fall under, "Office Administrative Services", but the CEO and my supervisor are jumping through hoops to claim we're exempt because of the industry we tangentially work with. I was told that if I get pulled over on my way into the office - I live next to a police station, I drive through the largest city in the state, and then through three counties - I show them my business card and they'll let me go :lol:

I got a letter from the construction company I work for that says something to the effect of yo, this guy is helping build a power plant, let him go. I havent been able to leave the house regardless, since Im still sick as hell. It was getting better but now my fever is back up to 101.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Hooray, my hemorrhoid this morning burst and it was a tidal wave of blood coming straight from my rear end

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I work in the parts department of an auto dealership and we're "an essential service" because we work on cars and if we weren't open then no doctor or nurse in the state would be able to get to work ever again or something. we are not cutting hours or making any changes whatsoever to anything we do. i do not have a letter or anything so if the cops decide to pull me over i guess i just show them my work jacket and hope that's cool. i don't think the cops are going to start pulling people over in my area though. i don't want to go to work i had a bad case of the flu in late december and haven't fully recovered since, for three months i've had coughing and wheezing constantly but never quite badly enough to justify taking a day off from work (where everyone thinks i'm a whiner for caring at all about my cough even as they mock me for constantly coughing) and spending a hundred bucks on a doctor's visit, yanno?

also my direct superior is "alt right" aka he's a loving nazi but i'm not allowed to call him that because he's not a member of a german political party in 1939

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I filed for FMLA early last week, took the paperwork to the doctor's mid last week, and they said they'd get to it when they were able.

now it's tuesday, they still haven't done it, and the doctor is out for the next two days. it needs to be done and submitted to Aetna by the 31st, and my anxiety is needling me about it because they've not filled it out and submitted it yet, the secretary said she'd leave a note on it saying it'd be priority, but it's the one last uncertain thing I need done. And I don't even know what happens if they straight up reject my claim, like I've been out of work now for a week and a half. My union stewards know my situation and know I needed to take the leave, but if Aetna rejects the claim and I've already been out this long, I don't know what'll happen.

Edit: well aetna is extending all leave claims by 10 days due to the pandemic so that's something I guess

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Mar 24, 2020

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

edit: im honestly too frightened to talk on SA about this so never mind

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

she is one year old and I adopted her literally only one month ago

if you check goons.xls you will recall that Maggie died in January after a short and terrible fight with FIP, which is supposed to be a rare illness

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Just got back from saying goodbye. She didn't make it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress. I'm so, so sorry.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

well now i feel bad following poor Pastry (I am so sorry, you and your kitties are in my thoughts!!) but today's my birthday... :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Christ I'm sorry for your loss Pastry and I'm sorry cosmo, a birthday in lockdown is zero fun.

I'm a preschool teacher and today I've been reading more and more about how schools here won't get back until September or longer, and I'm just devastated that a whole bunch of my amazing, inspirational, funny, sweet, annoying, lovely kids will go to school without their last months of preschool and I won't see them again. Some of them desperately needing those few months of preschool to prepare them, and some who frankly are ready to go right now, even though they're only 4 in the summer.

The day before we closed a parent said to her kid, "you might not see Apples for a while, give her a hug" and we had a big hug and this is one of the little ones who'll be back, hopefully, if we still have a preschool by the time this is over, and if his place is kept open for a single mother who might not be able to afford to pay for it to stay open, and I just... sometimes it hits me.

This year group since September has legit been my favourite cohort ever in my career and I'm just devastated. They deserve so much better.

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Mar 29, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for your loss, Pastry. We fostered kittens some years back, and one of them, Varys, started acting very slow one day. By the next day he was gone. FIP.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Woke up today to the news that my grandmother has stopped eating, drinking, and responding, and even though she's less than five miles away, because she's in a group home, I can't go say goodbye. I saw her just before the stay-at-homes started, but this still sucks a lot. She's my last living grandparent, and just... gently caress.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Decided to buy Spiderman on my PS4 to play during all this downtime at home. It's really fun! Unfortunately the day after I started it the hdd in my PS4 took a poo poo and looks like I might have to get a new one if formatting it doesn't solve the issue. So I went out on a bike ride to make sure it's still road worthy, but I grossly underestimated how drunk I was and ate poo poo in the parking lot at 7-11. That sucked. But I got my 6 pack of Tricerahops and headed home. Once home I discovered one of the cans had a puncture (maybe I crashed again on the way home and don't remember it?). Cool. Dinner was great, got the dishes done and proceeded to season my cast iron skillet. Misjudged the pot holder though and burned the gently caress out of my hand as I was transferring the bastard skillet into the oven. Yesterday sucked big time.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Sneeze Im sorry for your grandmother.

Pastry, Im sorry about your cat.

Really sucks guys

🙁❤️

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I am so stressed out right now. I'm trying to mop up the mess in my life caused by the virus and get my employment insurance and Canadian emergency response benefit because I've been laid off for a month now. Timeline matters so here it is:

Feb 26: last day of work before taking holidays.
Feb 28: Flew to Tokyo.
March 8: Flew back home.
March 9: Started self-quarantine due to possible exposure, was told I'd be given "emergency pay" to cover missed hours for the 14 day period. Emergency pay is how it's described on my pay statement.
March 16: Formal layoff due to my workplace shutting down.
March 19: Applied for EI, filled out the online forms, was told I had to call Service Canada to explain how I received income without working any hours before my application could be completed.

April 14: FINALLY got through to someone, explained my situation. I have to contact my HR department and have them resubmit my record of employment with the emergency pay included because it was not reported to Service Canada by my employer, but I declared it in my forms when submitting. The real shocker was I was also told my record of employment states my layoff began March 1 so I don't qualify for CERB because that's only for people who were laid off after March 15. Which doesn't make any sense and I think it's a mistake, because why would they declare my layoff in the middle of my scheduled holiday period, especially when the official records given to me by my employer states March 16. If they were trying to gently caress me over, at least claim it at the beginning or end of my holiday, not in the middle.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For some reason, my brain completely forgot that unless I pre scrub my glassware, it ain't getting clean in our dishwasher due to my area's incredibly hard water.

Now I had to pre wash half of it.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Got a message from my older brother, he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Roughly 50% of his prostate got cancerous cells.

Right now he's thinking about his options... I so hope he takes the right choice!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kidney Stone posted:

Got a message from my older brother, he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Roughly 50% of his prostate got cancerous cells.

Right now he's thinking about his options... I so hope he takes the right choice!

What is the right choice?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What is the right choice?

Aggressive treatment. The ball is still rolling on cancer treatment. I'm only allowed to drive people to two kinds of appointments: dialysis and cancer treatments. Public para-transit, non-emergency med transport, and private ambulances are all still serving those needs. At least he wouldn't have to worry about getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
nvm

Farten Barfen has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Apr 17, 2020