Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I must stand up for Rev1. I liked it better overall compared to Rev2.
The campaign in rev1 mixes up enemy positions depending on either difficulty level or new game+. Which makes it fun when you start seeing late game enemies before you would ever see a second type in earlier difficulties. It is also more of a metroidvania than other entries where you can get rewards for revisiting older locations in different chapters.

Story is anime as all hell, so that can be either a plus or a minus. The raid mode was expanded on in Rev2, gun and mods wise, and its okay, but misses some of the magic I felt in Rev1. In Rev1 raid you played through sections of the campaign with different enemy combos and positions that also changed depending on difficulty level. In Rev2, it mostly consists of small arenas with waves of enemy spawning, mostly taken from RE6. Not much changed between difficulty levels either outside of some enemies getting powered up. I was kinda let down by it and the only thing I really liked was not depending on RE.net contests to get good weapon drops, but now it is all low RNG chance.

Both are good games Rev1 is a bit clunky compared to rev2, but I think it makes up for it in other areas. It definitely shouldn't be cast aside and it offers a lot more replay than Rev2 in my view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I actually agree that Rev1's raid mode had a certain X factor that Rev2's is lacking.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Revelation 1's Raid mode also had the unique character VO intros and on mission completion that were removed in the sequel.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

In Training posted:

Rev2 on switch is fun for Raid mode. The actual campaign of Rev2 is kinda lame. There's nothing really memorable about any of the area or enemy designs. It looks like any silent hill game you forgot existed.

i thought the claire second chapter of rev 2 was really outstanding, and the only part of the game i disliked was the dreaded SEWER LEVEL!!!!!

actually claire and barry chapter 1 were really strong too, but when you consider it was released as an episodic game that's to be expected so mentally i dock it some points for that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Revelations 2 is one of the rare games where the two characters you play as in Co-Op mode are genuinely completely different from one another so that's worth several points all on its own.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Personally, I found that a bit of a downside in practice. Every time I've played Rev2 with someone in local co-op, both of us would rather have been playing the active, shooty character rather than the one who has to stay mostly out of the way and can only really take a support role. It's nice as a game design thing, but it really hinges on one person being willing to not be able to shoot zombies for most of a playthrough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It absolutely stinks if you both want to be the shooty person, but the people I co-oped with 100% did not ever want to be responsible for shooting that it worked out fantastically. Does this mean its an unambiguously good thing? Nah, but I give points cause its something I love and gives the game a lot of texture even if it can be offputting

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a really great idea, I just wish it didn't appeal to me more in concept than in execution.

One thing I always wished that game had? Giving co-op players the same ability to switch between characters that you have in single player. It would've fixed my biggest issue with the whole thing, namely that one player will either be stuck doing nothing or doing everything for a whole level. There's no real reason why it shouldn't have that, the game practically built around it, after all.

I mean, you can of course hand over controllers between yourselves, but it's just not the same thing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I found that a bit of a downside in practice. Every time I've played Rev2 with someone in local co-op, both of us would rather have been playing the active, shooty character rather than the one who has to stay mostly out of the way and can only really take a support role. It's nice as a game design thing, but it really hinges on one person being willing to not be able to shoot zombies for most of a playthrough.

You'd probably like FEAR 3 if you never tried it .

One player gets to be shooty man while the other an unkillable ghost that can cause various shenanigans or possess enemies if they feel like using guns again.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can you play rev 2 local co op? Probably not on PC anyway regardless

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

Can you play rev 2 local co op? Probably not on PC anyway regardless
You can play it only local co-op, as far as I'm aware.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cardiovorax posted:

moira can actually put the hurt on pretty seriously, but if you explicitly want to be shooting poo poo yeah that is a bit of an issue.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

moira is loving wolverine while claire has to use herbs to heal

what im saying is moira is definitely always the pointman, 100% of the time in SP (and maybe co-op too)

also rev1 raid mode has actual level design and gimmick levels (and difficulties that change layouts, even) alongside a bonus final level which is Literally The Entire loving Game All At Once

rev2 is just killboxes, it sucks rear end

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, Revelations 1 is really great fun when you are playing as Jill. But it sucks rear end when you are playing as the side characters.

Also the Raid mode in part 1 is miles above the raid mode in part 2.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, Revelations 1 is really great fun when you are playing as Jill. But it sucks rear end when you are playing as the side characters.

Also the Raid mode in part 1 is miles above the raid mode in part 2.

Parker is the best character how dare you.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Funny how the two games titled "Revelations" are the ones with the biggest lingering plot threads in their endings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You know, I never really could figure out just what sort of important things they are supposed to be revealing, either.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Is it umbrella is up to no good?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Surprisingly enough, that actually is the one thing they definitely don't reveal, in either game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DanielCross posted:

Funny how the two games titled "Revelations" are the ones with the biggest lingering plot threads in their endings.

almost as if... theres more to come...

alex wesker in (her new body) resident evil revelations 3. 2021. witches and werewolves in vr baby.

edit: spoilered cos it looks we got new rev2 players. the best of the rev games.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vikar Jerome posted:

almost as if... theres more to come...

alex wesker in (her new body) resident evil revelations 3. 2021. witches and werewolves in vr baby.

edit: spoilered cos it looks we got new rev2 players. the best of the rev games.

Rev 1 had a plot that is absolutely 100% never be referenced again, but Rev 2 is actually grounded enough that it could very much be picked up. And it would be hilarious to be in the world where Barry Burton is raising the last Wesker child.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Terragrigia will not be forgotten :911:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Rev 1 basically just establishes how the BSAA came to be. The central outbreak incident in the game is also cited as being a sort of catalyst for the rest of the ones that followed.

Rev 2 picks up a plot thread hinted at in one of RE 5's DLCs and spins a very compelling narrative out of it, and leaves the door open for its events to be followed up on in future titles.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Thank you for the new av.

E: I have not even tried revelations aside from the 3DS demo. Felt too burned by pervious spin off games. I think Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii was the last one I bought.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 9, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I kind of appreciate the first Revelations for being a game about an intricate conspiracy with a lot of moving parts and truly global consequences, but it blows up on the runway almost as soon as it begins and the rest of the game is a mad scramble to try and derive some value from it.

The central revelation is that Morgan Lansdale did 9/11 engineered the Terragrigia Panic on purpose, in order to wake the world up to the idea that bioterror wasn't going away anytime soon, which does lose some impact when all of the relevant players are brand-new characters without even token connections to the rest of the series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Revelation 2’s revelation is that it’s a crime that Barry wasn’t the main character in every RE game post-1.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
dream RE movie casting time

Barry: Liam Neeson
Wesker: Bruce Campbell
Jill: Charlize Theron
Chris: James Marsden (extremely good at bland characters whilst still being likeable)
Rebecca: Rachel McAdams
Flashback Oswell Spencer: Brian Cox (not the scientist guy)

Also Jerry Seinfeld as the bees I guess, maybe memes can save RE as a movie franchise

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I confused Liam Neeson with Leslie Nielsen and it gave me the funniest mental image.

Kibayasu posted:

Revelation 2’s revelation is that it’s a crime that Barry wasn’t the main character in every RE game post-1.
Everyone knew that already, though.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 9, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Convex posted:

dream RE movie casting time

Barry: Liam Neeson
Wesker: Bruce Campbell
Jill: Charlize Theron
Chris: James Marsden (extremely good at bland characters whilst still being likeable)
Rebecca: Rachel McAdams
Flashback Oswell Spencer: Brian Cox (not the scientist guy)

Also Jerry Seinfeld as the bees I guess, maybe memes can save RE as a movie franchise

i'll take bruce as wesker, sure why not.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

john goodman is barry burton

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Convex posted:

Haven't seen Sonic have you? Guess it wasn't his fault it was a big piece of poo poo

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Neeson's a bit lean to be husky boy Barry. I feel like Nick Offerman could do a good "Jill sandwich" line read.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

codo27 posted:

Haven't seen Sonic have you? Guess it wasn't his fault it was a big piece of poo poo

I quite enjoyed the sonic movie tbh, it was ironically a bit slow in parts but everyone seemed to be putting in a good effort! Certainly better than the paw patrol movie at least

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fuckin Ben Schwartz said in the pre movie that there were lots of Easter eggs for old school fans and I ain't notice poo poo.

Google supposed to be the all knowing Oracle and yet in my google news feed is a vid from IGN claiming nemesis can break into save rooms which was already debunked HOURS ago ooohhhh WOE IS ME, WHAT A WORLD

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah the mistake they made was assuming that every room with a typewriter is a safe room, but that wasn't even true in RE2 (RCPD main hall). If you hear the music you're safe. Probably.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It is generally speaking true in every other RE game up to Resident Evil 4, though, so it's a reasonable assumption to make, even if it's mistaken.

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
Rev 2’s lack of online Co op seems silly in this day and age.

Any reason why they left it out?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Am I going crazy or doesn't at least Raid in Rev2 have online co-op as an option? I don't have it installed on my PS4 atm and I'm not going to bring it back just to check, but I thought the blue door in the waiting room was for online matchmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rev 2 Raid def had online co-op and my son played it a bunch. We always split-screened the campaign and I never even realized it wasn't an option.