Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's fairly easy to see that phenomenon in FF15's design, too. It's very obviously attempting to pour the franchise into the mold of contemporary western AAA games, presumably because they see the western market as the franchise's future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It's fairly easy to see that phenomenon in FF15's design, too. It's very obviously attempting to pour the franchise into the mold of contemporary western AAA games, presumably because they see the western market as the franchise's future.

And they somehow failed to realise that Western gamers don't want their JRPGs to be the same as their Western games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

stev posted:

And they somehow failed to realise that Western gamers don't want their JRPGs to be the same as their Western games.

This gets into the eternal argument about "what even is an RPG let alone a JRPG?" but what of the Dark Souls games?

I admittedly know little about them but they're giant open world games too, aren't they? With none of the heavy-handed storytelling you expect from a JRPG?

And yet everyone everywhere raves about them, Japan or the West.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

Apparently FF15 was the result of a long decline, like a consequence of it. I am not sure how much that is the decline of consoles - all I know is that they complain a lot about videogame prices, something that I empathize because games cost a truckload in my Country as well.

The vibe I get is that since the PS2 era interest in the franchise has been steadily declining, so by the time FF15 was released there was no real motivation for people to buy it. I don't know how much marketing there was. Dragon Quest XI sold twice as much as FF15 in Japan, for reference, in the first day.

if you look at the series it's perfectly understandable why it went from being incredibly popular to declining. They had a string of really solid games that were coming out very close together. Games were coming out every year or two, and were generally, if not universally, liked.

Then after X, you have a 5 year gap because they went to try and do MMO stuff, and then you get XII, which was a bit of a disappointment, then 3 more years, and then XIII, which was a worse disappointment. Then they try the MMO thing again and holy poo poo, it's a disaster. Then six years of mediocre spinoffs of games that people didn't like later, they take one of the spinoffs that was stuck in development hell, declare that it's Final Fantasy XV now, and rush it out the door half-finished. It's not really a surprise that public interest has strongly declined.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cock hero flux posted:

if you look at the series it's perfectly understandable why it went from being incredibly popular to declining. They had a string of really solid games that were coming out very close together. Games were coming out every year or two, and were generally, if not universally, liked.

Then after X, you have a 5 year gap because they went to try and do MMO stuff, and then you get XII, which was a bit of a disappointment, then 3 more years, and then XIII, which was a worse disappointment. Then they try the MMO thing again and holy poo poo, it's a disaster. Then six years of mediocre spinoffs of games that people didn't like later, they take one of the spinoffs that was stuck in development hell, declare that it's Final Fantasy XV now, and rush it out the door half-finished. It's not really a surprise that public interest has strongly declined.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

15(8.4m) sold more than 13(7.7m) which sold more than 12(7.2m)

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

If we’re talking about dream scenarios, my #1 video game dream scenario is that Yasumi Matsuno rejoins SQEX and they let him do his loving thing. Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre... I love that man’s work so intensely and it loving kills me that he’s doing mobile games now.

I’m HOPING that bringing him back for FF14 dungeons is a step in the right direction but who knows. Goddammit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Once FFVII comes out we'll see if we can go back to the style of FF that doesnt necessarily have to be sprawling open world. Midgar is probably big but I have feeling the areas will be fairly confined like in lets say... God of War (which has been cited as an inspiration I think)

I hope they pull it off because the demo was drat gorgeous

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I admittedly know little about them but they're giant open world games too, aren't they? With none of the heavy-handed storytelling you expect from a JRPG?

They're not really open world games, no, at least not in the modern sense. They're basically along the lines of a 3d Castlevania or something. The whole thing is a connected world but the path you have to take through it is fairly linear. As I recall, first one goes Asylum to Firelink, then you do Undead Burg and then Blighttown(which you could theoretically do before Undead Burg but won't because it's significantly harder((and sucks)) and the game strongly guides you to do Burg first), and then Sen's Fortress, and then Anor Londo, and then there's Izalith, Catacombs, Archives, and New Londo in whichever order you feel like, and then you do Kiln and the game ends. There's some optional side areas and you can theoretically go to some of these places before you're supposed to, but there's usually not much point to it other than suicide grabbing items that you want because you'll get your rear end kicked.

The storytelling is pretty minimalist though, year.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Pathos posted:

If we’re talking about dream scenarios, my #1 video game dream scenario is that Yasumi Matsuno rejoins SQEX and they let him do his loving thing. Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre... I love that man’s work so intensely and it loving kills me that he’s doing mobile games now.

I’m HOPING that bringing him back for FF14 dungeons is a step in the right direction but who knows. Goddammit.

I'm playing through FFT for the first time at the moment and I'm loving it (once I got past the Dorter Slums :argh:), but man I wish they'd just release a port to the switch, it's the perfect console for tactics games

WaltherFeng posted:

Once FFVII comes out we'll see if we can go back to the style of FF that doesnt necessarily have to be sprawling open world. Midgar is probably big but I have feeling the areas will be fairly confined like in lets say... God of War (which has been cited as an inspiration I think)

I hope they pull it off because the demo was drat gorgeous

:same:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

15(8.4m) sold more than 13(7.7m) which sold more than 12(7.2m)

yes, worldwide. We were talking about in Japan, specifically, where it sold significantly worse than those games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Final Fantasy has always been a global franchise and Japan's share of the home console market has been in steady decline for over a decade, so in that context FFXV probably did pretty well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Final Fantasy has always been a global franchise and Japan's share of the home console market has been in steady decline for over a decade, so in that context FFXV probably did pretty well.

I kind of think you have to look at it differently. FFXV was multiplat, and thus hit a bigger market because it hit more consoles. This isn't true in Japan because no one in Japan has an Xbox. The sales figures I could find for FFXV Xbox version in Japan were less than 4000 units sold, so it's pretty much non-existent and you can write it off. So, in Japan, FFXV didn't get any sales boost for going multiplat, and the result was that it sold significantly worse than XIII. XIII was a PS3 game. Neither the PS3 nor the PS4 came anywhere near the numbers of the PS2, so that argument would hold water for explaining the drop from X and XII to XIII. But the PS3 and PS4 actually sold pretty comparably in Japan, so that doesn't explain that kind of drop from XIII to XV.

EDIT: that said, while the figures I could find for first week Japanese sales for XIII and XV showed that XV sold about half as well, indicating a pretty sharp decline in Japanese interest, I also found that that was in line with Square's predicted figures, which showed that they fully expected FFXV to sell less units in Japan over its entire lifetime than XIII did in its first week. Which does indicate that they pretty much intend to go for worldwide sales over Japanese sales as their business model.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 9, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I'm playing through FFT for the first time at the moment and I'm loving it (once I got past the Dorter Slums :argh:), but man I wish they'd just release a port to the switch, it's the perfect console for tactics games

:same:

use rotating save files.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

use rotating save files.

also buy ramza a gun

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Sentinel Scorpion is officially faster than FF7 gameplay, having been reduced to 2:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4L2HeVcOg

Here's the video of Dickus doing it, along with a comparison video.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e663ed4520b5-guard-scorpion-ff7-vs-remake-comparison.php

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

Sentinel Scorpion is officially faster than FF7 gameplay, having been reduced to 2:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4L2HeVcOg

Here's the video of Dickus doing it, along with a comparison video.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e663ed4520b5-guard-scorpion-ff7-vs-remake-comparison.php

Watching them side-by-side I'm kinda mesmerized at how close the proportions of the remake is to the original, goofy rear end cartoonish boss. The artists did such a fantastic job.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

jenova weird period in your 30s where you're too old to act like you're in your 20s but you're also not in a place in your career or personal life where you can take on a middle-aged lifestyle, and you still feel like you're immature and out of your depth despite basically having everything under control

To defeat this boss you need to achieve your limit break and scream “NO MOM I WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY MORE GRANDCHILDREN” at it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Elentor posted:

Watching them side-by-side I'm kinda mesmerized at how close the proportions of the remake is to the original, goofy rear end cartoonish boss. The artists did such a fantastic job.

When I saw the weird beclawed Shinra troops I was so happy since I figure they'll be keeping most of the enemies as is. Maybe they'll even keep in the Hell House! Though without random encounters I bet a lot of enemies just get cut.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

When I saw the weird beclawed Shinra troops I was so happy since I figure they'll be keeping most of the enemies as is. Maybe they'll even keep in the Hell House! Though without random encounters I bet a lot of enemies just get cut.

They already confirmed Hell House as a boss.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ItBreathes posted:

We've seen Hell House. And most other enemies in Midgar. Pretty sure they're all in.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

gently caress yeah. Also, for the dlc hunters:

homeless snail posted:

If you have enough butterfingers to make two complete butterhands, that's too many butterfingers

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hope they've included the brain pods with their weird little Elmer Fudd heads

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Excited for the literal stop sign enemy you can fight after Jenova escapes the Shinra cell.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Really hope the characters either shut the gently caress up 90% of the time, or you can switch off character 'banter'. Absolutely killed FF15 for me – not only is it painfully I'm aware raise one eyebrow look at camera, but we're talking about 40+ hour games that run out of new quotes after half an hour of fighting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

bustin keaton posted:

Really hope the characters either shut the gently caress up 90% of the time, or you can switch off character 'banter'. Absolutely killed FF15 for me – not only is it painfully I'm aware raise one eyebrow look at camera, but we're talking about 40+ hour games that run out of new quotes after half an hour of fighting.

None of the banter in the demo was at all "I'm aware, let's break this 4th wall!" So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Has all gaming in general seen a big decline in JP then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sneak Lemming posted:

Has all gaming in general seen a big decline in JP then?

Mobile.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Excited for the literal stop sign enemy you can fight after Jenova escapes the Shinra cell.

I'm sure it wasn't a stylistic choice, but FF7s use of untextured polygons has really grown on me lately. It's just so distinct and visually bold.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
It's more that the art design was excellent, making things look good despite the limitations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
God FFVII has some of the best random encounter enemies, they’re so goddamned silly

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s even more impressive considering that this was a team that was essentially learning 3D as they went along.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I always liked this guy, you can knock him off and there's a fairly elaborate set of animations that plays out of him trying to get back up and on again after a few turns iirc

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Good ol' Hell House

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they could make the Phantom Train kick rear end in FFXIV then they can make Hell House kick rear end.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I really should get back into xiv, I got stalled out at the end of ARR

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If they could make the Phantom Train kick rear end in FFXIV then they can make Hell House kick rear end.

never played FFXIV, but Phantom Train can only kick rear end if youre allowed to suplex it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I always liked this guy, you can knock him off and there's a fairly elaborate set of animations that plays out of him trying to get back up and on again after a few turns iirc
The two-headed guy in the basement can gently caress right off.
"Battle starts" *twenty seconds of wobbling**animation reset*
What just happened?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The Group Room is what I'm looking forward to the most in Remake.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Onmi posted:

None of the banter in the demo was at all "I'm aware, let's break this 4th wall!" So I have no idea what you're talking about.

They literally sing the victory theme.

Given FF15 did do that a bit - but even more just made excessive use of zany quips - I think it's fair to be concerned that this could go the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

never played FFXIV, but Phantom Train can only kick rear end if youre allowed to suplex it.

Bad news about the PT fight in XIV, then. Story goes that the devs had little idea that the meme was so popular. The fight is still really interesting though.