Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'll argue that Michael Bay's movies post-The Rock were guilty pleasures (except Pearl Harbor, gently caress that one) especially Bad Boys II. It wasn't until he got attached to the Transformers films did he suddenly become the meme we all know and hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

"You like Elton John?"

"I don't listen to soft rear end poo poo!"

I crack up every single time. And that's BEFORE Cage shoots him with a rocket and says "You're the rocket man!"
I can't help wondering if Goodspeed was originally meant to be a massive fan of Elton John rather than the Beatles and someone decided they didn't like soft-rear end poo poo!, but the Rocket Man joke was too good to change. Because as it stands it comes completely out of nowhere.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Best of the Best this weekend. While it's not a great movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Something about the chemistry of the cast, the fight choreography, James Earl Jones as the coach, and the actual fight tournament really balances out the nonsensical choices for characters (Travis is a martial artist from Miami who wears a cowboy hat and talks like he's from Texas? He's excellent at martial arts but is racist against Asian people?), and the pandering for the PG-13 rating, and how none of the plots ever actually add up to anything?

I also love how the badguys are this sinister cabal of Korean martial arts experts, and the end reveals them to be sweethearts who are dedicated to their craft and they actually hold zero animosity towards their rival competitors.

Kinda surprised this movie isn't as easily available as other movies of it's ilk. It has a couple of sequels that sound insane.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Watched Sleepless (Jamie Foxx) this weekend. No martial arts, but lots of slug-fests, and a nice kitchen fight. Which brings me to my point: Are all kitchen fights fun? Has there been a bad kitchen fight? There's such a great variety of things to smash/throw/run into, that the choreographers can keep it going even with "just actors" instead of "fancy martial artists".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the one in Spy, where the bad guy gets a knife through her hand and pulls it out to brandish it herself and Melissa McCarthy's just like ":gonk: Are you sure you should be just pulling it out like that?!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Watched Sleepless (Jamie Foxx) this weekend. No martial arts, but lots of slug-fests, and a nice kitchen fight. Which brings me to my point: Are all kitchen fights fun? Has there been a bad kitchen fight? There's such a great variety of things to smash/throw/run into, that the choreographers can keep it going even with "just actors" instead of "fancy martial artists".

Or you can get supremo poo poo like the kitchen fight in the Raid 2. You are right, kitchen fights are extremely good.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

kitchen fights are extremely good.

agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxn9md_aZI

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Or you can get supremo poo poo like the kitchen fight in the Raid 2. You are right, kitchen fights are extremely good.

Got chills just thinking about their shuffle towards each other.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Upgrade is a perfect movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Raw Deal is a really under-appreciated Schwarzenegger flick. The story confused the hell out of me, but the villains, set pieces, stunts and squibs kick so much rear end.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Raw Deal is a really under-appreciated Schwarzenegger flick. The story confused the hell out of me, but the villains, set pieces, stunts and squibs kick so much rear end.

"You shouldn't drink and bake." :thejoke:

Also that movie must have shelled out a lot of cash to the Rolling Stones for having a whole murder spree set to "Satisfaction".

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Doesn’t JCVD fight the Penguin in the stadium kitchen in Sudden Death? That part loving slaps (and so does the rest of Sudden Death.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I watched this last night. Definitely underrated, I'd say most people don't even know it exists, and it was one of the few Schwarzennegers I'd never seen. He's made a lot of movies, but there's actually a pretty short list of them that are this straightforward. There's no monster, he's not playing a robot, the world isn't ending, he doesn't go to space, there's no kids, and it's mostly played straight as a serious rated-R action flick. It feels like Eraser could be a sequel to Raw Deal.

It's on Prime, by the way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I watched this last night. Definitely underrated, I'd say most people don't even know it exists, and it was one of the few Schwarzennegers I'd never seen. He's made a lot of movies, but there's actually a pretty short list of them that are this straightforward. There's no monster, he's not playing a robot, the world isn't ending, he doesn't go to space, there's no kids, and it's mostly played straight as a serious rated-R action flick. It feels like Eraser could be a sequel to Raw Deal.

Ooh! I'm glad you watched it too! It's just full of weird but fun ideas.

Turns out that the crew behind the camera is impressive. Cinematography was by Alex Thomason and it was edited by Lawrence of Arabia's editor Anne V. Coates. I really liked the sense of fun imbued by the director, John Irvin, so I'm gonna check out more of his stuff.

I'd highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen this yet watch it while it's available on Amazon Prime. I've been waiting something like six months to find it on a streaming service. It wasn't available as paid rental for a while.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I really liked the sense of fun imbued by the director, John Irvin, so I'm gonna check out more of his stuff.

Looking at his filmography there's two things that I definitely need to see. He did Hamburger Hill the year after Raw Deal, which is supposed to be a great underrated war movie. Then, he also did a Robin Hood film in 1991. Yes, the same year as the Kevin Costner version. Uma Thurman is in it apparently.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Looking at his filmography there's two things that I definitely need to see. He did Hamburger Hill the year after Raw Deal, which is supposed to be a great underrated war movie. Then, he also did a Robin Hood film in 1991. Yes, the same year as the Kevin Costner version. Uma Thurman is in it apparently.

He also did the adaptation of Peter Straub's Ghost Story. I haven't read the book, but it's supposed to be Straub's best, and it was Irvin's first Hollywood movie? Seems like a fun mix.

The Action Boyz podcast recommended Hamburger Hill, so I'll check that one out too. I've barely seen any of the Robin Hood movies, besides the boring one by Ridley Scott. I hope it's as fun as Raw Deal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Doesn’t JCVD fight the Penguin in the stadium kitchen in Sudden Death? That part loving slaps (and so does the rest of Sudden Death.)

drat right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2NGEHJ6Qg

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Best of the Best this weekend. While it's not a great movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Something about the chemistry of the cast, the fight choreography, James Earl Jones as the coach, and the actual fight tournament really balances out the nonsensical choices for characters (Travis is a martial artist from Miami who wears a cowboy hat and talks like he's from Texas? He's excellent at martial arts but is racist against Asian people?), and the pandering for the PG-13 rating, and how none of the plots ever actually add up to anything?

I also love how the badguys are this sinister cabal of Korean martial arts experts, and the end reveals them to be sweethearts who are dedicated to their craft and they actually hold zero animosity towards their rival competitors.

Kinda surprised this movie isn't as easily available as other movies of it's ilk. It has a couple of sequels that sound insane.

I watched this a couple weeks ago, and the scene where Eric Roberts returns home to see his son in the hospital after being told he broke his leg only to be told by the doctor "oh actually he's also in a coma" might have been the funniest thing I've seen so far this year. Spoilers for melodramatic hilarity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MachineryNoise posted:

I watched this a couple weeks ago, and the scene where Eric Roberts returns home to see his son in the hospital after being told he broke his leg only to be told by the doctor "oh actually he's also in a coma" might have been the funniest thing I've seen so far this year. Spoilers for melodramatic hilarity.

Yeah, that's hilarious. It's like they realized the stakes weren't high enough to justify leaving the team, but didn't go back and rewrite the earlier scene. Also, when Eric Roberts notices his son in the crowd and he looks at the coach, screaming "How did he get here?! THaaaaanks Cooooach!"

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Wracking my brain, which one is this?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

Wracking my brain, which one is this?

Totall Recall. Depending on your interpretation of course.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Does a meat packer's count ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41md7xGoxLQ

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

From a tumblr post, in 1994 Arnold considered starring in a Captain Blood swashbuckler;

idk if I could see him being spry and table-leaping with a cutlass.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Oh, yeah, that's right.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

My interpretation is that he doesn’t go to space, he gets his rear end to Mars.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Accident man is great, I cracked up at the turkey baster line. Although ray park looked like he was moving in molasses despite being only 2 years older than Adkins

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Accident man is great, I cracked up at the turkey baster line. Although ray park looked like he was moving in molasses despite being only 2 years older than Adkins
Agree, they balanced the cast in a way that was much more organic than Expendables. I enjoyed Avengement as well.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year

Franchescanado posted:

gently caress yea Raw Deal owns hard

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Red Heat was around that time too, wasn't it?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Raw Deal. Absolute banger of a movie and the only framed Arnie poster I have in the house (my Stallone pick being Cobra). I'm a sucker for poster art of red text on black with a massive image of the main dude. The set pieces in Raw Deal have a decent amount of gravity to them while still being slapstick. The opening really sets you up for a really different movie till it pivots into the main plot. I loving LOVE Raw Deal.

The gravel pit scene is one of my favourites in his career.

I'm a sucker for a great scene with music as an integral part of the appeal (such as the gravel pit). What's all y'all favorites.

Angel Of The City - - Robert Tepper - Cobra (The first 2:40 is lifted straight from the movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTABkosC8Eo

midge fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 17, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Angel of the City...boy that escalated

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Was David Rasche in Cobra proper? I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed if I forgot that Rambo and Sledge Hammer! were in the same flick.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

From a tumblr post, in 1994 Arnold considered starring in a Captain Blood swashbuckler;

idk if I could see him being spry and table-leaping with a cutlass.

I would watch the poo poo out of this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THere is a new swashbuckling Arnold movie with Jackie Chan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQ7xDSgtI0

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Given everything surrounding that movie, it's possible the trailers show the entirety of Chan's and Schwarzenegger's scenes.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Best of the Best this weekend. While it's not a great movie, I enjoyed it a lot.

<cut>

Spoliers

I love/hate this movie because it surprises me with how good it is and then shocks me when it's bad. Hammy acting aside, the characters feel like they have backstories, they interact well and the tournament really does work. The fighting was good (for the time) and none flashy. The characters had their own distinct styles too. Travis is a power house brawler, Tommy is a flashy technique ninja, Eric Roberts is 'dumb-tough', etc.

Like you said, the bad guys are this scary, distant force but end up being human (despite the "killed my brother" cheeseball aspect). The tournament itself is great and avoids most of the Rocky cliches, and each main character gets their moment ("why are you counting them?"). As a kid I was amazed at the story not following the standard format with the ending and it was genuinely refreshing not to have a "plucky underdog wins despite it all" or a "loses bravely" moment.

But the bad... hoh boy...

Dafuq was with the annoying spiritual girl? Did she do anything apart from annoy James Earl-Jones' coach? And the yoga guy (hillariously) just gets his rear end kicked. And god, the 'emotional scenes' are bad. I know, I know... action movie, but... dear god.

There were 4 movies (I brought the boxed set as it was cheaper than buying just the original).

Watch the second one because the characters are still there, but it goes from sports story to standard action movie pretty quick. It's still cheeseball, it has awful family bits, but it has fun fights, has some of the original cast and those badass korean dudes make good on their promise :D

Avoid 3 and 4. Garbage. Although I seem to remember Tommy dressed as some kind of mascot spin kicking a fool in the head, but that's literally all I remember. Real straight-to-bargain-bin stuff

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So I bought tickets last year for a showing of Aliens that's this Sunday. All other cinema chains have closed due to corona yet this one remains open. I took a look at the bookings and the joint is FULL because where else can you see this movie on a proper screen?

I am now wondering how many people are going to turn up and whether it's worth trying to go along when government advice is "don't do it!" to anything above a certain amount of people in a group.

BUT IT'S ALIENS

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So I bought tickets last year for a showing of Aliens that's this Sunday. All other cinema chains have closed due to corona yet this one remains open. I took a look at the bookings and the joint is FULL because where else can you see this movie on a proper screen?

I am now wondering how many people are going to turn up and whether it's worth trying to go along when government advice is "don't do it!" to anything above a certain amount of people in a group.

BUT IT'S ALIENS

Unless you literally have like a three entire rows all to yourself, stay the gently caress out of the theater.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

BUT IT'S ALIENS

Did IQs drop sharply while I was away?

(I struggled so hard with the same decision because ALIENS IN A GODDAM CINEMA!!!, but... come on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Unless you literally have like a three entire rows all to yourself, stay the gently caress out of the theater.

They had one night only showing of Bullitt to advertise the new Ford Mustang a couple of years ago. My wife and I went and were literally the only 2 people in the theater.