Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Can I get a copy too? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A sci fi book or short story I read in the late 80's, I guess, about a group of astronauts, possibly testing out a new engine, who get sucked into a far future where all the left brain people have exterminated the right brain people, because they were a useless burden on society. The future people are stunned that some of the astronauts paint or have creative ideas. I may be misremembering some stuff here. It might have been by Clifford Simak, but I can't see it in his bibliography.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have platinum, but now I feel like I need to read... whatever that thing is that's being discussed. Is there perhaps an exact set of search terms that could be used to find it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I swear this is a book and not a movie but I can't think where I read up on it. Its a book about a space habitat in this deadend trade route thats falling apart and basically lawless at this point. Something is happening on it and theres a long forgotten chamber buried deep in the station that is the center of it that almost no one remember. Does anyone have an idea on what I have stuck in my head?

gently caress, that sounds extremely familiar but I can't place it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I swear this is a book and not a movie but I can't think where I read up on it. Its a book about a space habitat in this deadend trade route thats falling apart and basically lawless at this point. Something is happening on it and theres a long forgotten chamber buried deep in the station that is the center of it that almost no one remember. Does anyone have an idea on what I have stuck in my head?

This isn't it (I don't think), but you're request reminded me of Harlen Ellison's short story "Life Hutch". In it, an astronaut wakes up in a derelict Life Hutch, which is some sort of small outpost in space, I think like an interstellar rest area, after being knocked out, I believe by gunfire or an explosion.

What the situation he finds himself in is that there's a motion activated gun turret pointed right at him that's about a second and a half away from shooting. He can't breathe too quickly, can't even blink too quickly or the thing will kill him, and he has to figure out how to get out.

Pretty neat read!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 17, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This isn't it (I don't think), but you're request reminded me of Harlen Ellison's short story "Life Hutch". In it, an astronaut wakes up in a derelict Life Hutch, which is some sort of small outpost in space, I think like an interstellar rest area, after being knocked out, I believe by gunfire or an explosion.

What the situation he finds himself in is that there's a motion activated gun turret pointed right at him that's about a second and a half away from shooting. He can't breathe too quickly, can't even blink too quickly or the thing will kill him, and he has to figure out how to get out.

Pretty neat read!

There's apparently a VR game based on it that came out last year.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's apparently a VR game based on it that came out last year.

Whoa, whaaaaaaat? Oh my god, I have to check that out. Not that I have a VR system or anything.

Also, if I remember the ending of Life Hutch correctly, that'd be... interesting to do in VR.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

yaffle posted:

A sci fi book or short story I read in the late 80's, I guess, about a group of astronauts, possibly testing out a new engine, who get sucked into a far future where all the left brain people have exterminated the right brain people, because they were a useless burden on society. The future people are stunned that some of the astronauts paint or have creative ideas. I may be misremembering some stuff here. It might have been by Clifford Simak, but I can't see it in his bibliography.

There was a Sliders episode (map of the mind) with a similar plot - creativity was branded a mental illness and anyone creative was shoved into an asylum and reprogrammed. The whole left/right brain was a core part of the plot. It may have been inspired by the work youi're talkong about.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I think this plot has been done a few times. I do t think it's what you're looking for but it definitely reminded me of a part of Charles Stross' Iron Sunrise.

Pohl's Heechee books? Tanya Huff's Torin books. Bujold's Falling free?

I'm piqued by this one

threedaycrash
Sep 24, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I don't have platinum, but now I feel like I need to read... whatever that thing is that's being discussed. Is there perhaps an exact set of search terms that could be used to find it?

The story is called Pilgrims to the Cathedral by Mark Arnold. It was published in the collection Silver Scream. If you have an email you aren't afraid to post I can send it to you.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Requesting a PM for the story being shared

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Could it be a generation ship story? There's a bunch of them where the nth generation crew have forgotten the mission or even that they're on a ship at all.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm remembering a godawful trilogy of sci-fi books I read in the 90s. I remember reading them over and over and have no idea why. The one thing I remember is that in the third books the mutants/zombies/aliens had names like Darvon and Xanax.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

could someone please pm me the story

Edit: Thanks!

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 19, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I don't know about the lawlessness, but parts of it sound like Marrow by Robert Reed?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I’ve got a twofer from homeroom reading in high school. I would never bring my own books so I would just grab whatever was lying around.

The first one was set in the greater Los Angeles area about a murder of an actress and is told from the perspective of 3 characters, the murderer, the detective and a runaway preteen who witnessed it.

The other one was about some old i think former spies, that were trying to track down a nuke. I don’t remember much about it other than the fact that they brought up that it was covered in cobalt multiple times, and that I think it was part of a series because there was a lot of information and characters that they just expected you to know.

I don’t remember either book being particularly noteworthy but the fact that I don’t remember their names eats at my soul. :negative:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A talking coyote posted:

The other one was about some old i think former spies, that were trying to track down a nuke. I don’t remember much about it other than the fact that they brought up that it was covered in cobalt multiple times, and that I think it was part of a series because there was a lot of information and characters that they just expected you to know.

I don’t remember either book being particularly noteworthy but the fact that I don’t remember their names eats at my soul. :negative:

Kind of sounds like Sum of All Fears but This may help

First one is maybe LA Confidential

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Sum of all fears sounds right since I did read a few of the Jack Ryan novels back then but weird that I completely blanked on that one. The first one definitely isn’t LA confidential though after a quick glance at the plot summary. Thank you for taking a crack at it though!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maybe The Black Dahlia (which is the first in the LA Quartet)?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm looking for a nonfiction book I heard about in passing. It's a lengthy book and I believe it's a fairly recent release, at least post-1990. The author looked at a map of the United States and found the most boring looking spot he could find. He traveled to that county, lived there for a few months and wrote a book about it. Various chapters are devoted to history, ecology, sociolgy, youth culture, religion, etc. of this place.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bowser posted:

I'm looking for a nonfiction book I heard about in passing. It's a lengthy book and I believe it's a fairly recent release, at least post-1990. The author looked at a map of the United States and found the most boring looking spot he could find. He traveled to that county, lived there for a few months and wrote a book about it. Various chapters are devoted to history, ecology, sociolgy, youth culture, religion, etc. of this place.

bets on it being in montana

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

bowser posted:

Is it Ceremonial Time?

Ninja edit: or PrairyErth?

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 23, 2020

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Yes, it's PrairyErth! Thank you! Ceremonial Time also sounds interesting, will add both to my reading list.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Guys don't post about :filez:

If you PM each other, I don't see it

If you post in the forum about filesharing, I see it, and then I have to take action

My initial action: everyone stop posting about :filez:

thanks

also, remember that local libraries exist, and they often have inter library loan

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

bowser posted:

Yes, it's PrairyErth! Thank you! Ceremonial Time also sounds interesting, will add both to my reading list.

I recommend his first book, Blue Highways, as well.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
There was a children’s/YA novel I can’t remember the title of. I read it in the mid/early 2000’s. A boy finds himself transported to a medieval kingdom ruled by an evil wizard, uses his tumbling skills to be employed as the wizard’s entertainer and then uses a tumbling routine to snatch the wizard’s macguffin out of his hand.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

There was a children’s/YA novel I can’t remember the title of. I read it in the mid/early 2000’s. A boy finds himself transported to a medieval kingdom ruled by an evil wizard, uses his tumbling skills to be employed as the wizard’s entertainer and then uses a tumbling routine to snatch the wizard’s macguffin out of his hand.

The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop. I read that a ton when I was a kid.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Thank you! Between that book, The Doll People, Indian in the Cupboard and probably more books I’ve read about living dolls I’m surprised I didn’t have strange notions about toys.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Whoops double post

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
For no absolutely no reason related to current events, I've been thinking about a story I read a few years ago. It was framed as a woman's cooking blog during a pandemic and quarantine. Each entry had her trying to put a cheerful face on the situation and writing a new recipe out of diminishing supplies. I don't remember if it had a happy or sad ending.

Google is not giving me great results right now with search terms like "cooking blog" and "global pandemic".

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

wizzardstaff posted:

For no absolutely no reason related to current events, I've been thinking about a story I read a few years ago. It was framed as a woman's cooking blog during a pandemic and quarantine. Each entry had her trying to put a cheerful face on the situation and writing a new recipe out of diminishing supplies. I don't remember if it had a happy or sad ending.

Google is not giving me great results right now with search terms like "cooking blog" and "global pandemic".

This one?

Naomi Kritzer, So much cooking

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That's the one, thanks!

e: I reread it. It has a happy ending.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 8, 2020

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

wizzardstaff posted:

That's the one, thanks!

e: I reread it. It has a happy ending.

It was good and the happy/hopeful ending came as a surprise, but a nice one.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

I'm back again looking for more teen horror stories.

I thought this one was Anthony Horowitz but the books and anthologies of his short stories doesn't seem to have it. Mid 2000s

It was called like "Don't Read This" or similar, and about a Chernobyl-esque reactor disaster, but the reader was causing it by reading on, it ended with the omniscient narrator telling the reader to look up so they could see the explosion in the distance.

I've still never found this one either (not teen horror, YA novel):

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series? Read it in the early/mid 2000s

Or this (definitely teen horror short):

One time I read a short story that was really like Stephen King's Misery. It's only now I'm actually reading Misery that I remember it.

A man is in a car crash and wakes up horribly injured with mangled legs being kept prisoner by a woman. I think the woman wants him to marry her daughter, who's possibly a bit slow? In the end he takes off the bandages and it turns out that his legs weren't actually mangled at all, he was fine, he just thought he couldn't walk. Can't remember when I read this, but later than 2005 probably.

Still looking for all three of these! :)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bukowski book, pretty sure prose. There's a section in the book where he's at some woman's house and she has a couple birds in a cage and he opens the door to the cage and opens the window, one of them flies out immediately and the other one spends some time thinking about it. Any idea which of his books this is from? If you can quote that section that would be even better. Thanks!

E: Post Office

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 8, 2020

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I read a quote back in the 80s or early 90s. I thought it was from Pat Conroy's _The Great Santini_ but was unable to find it in there. Could also be by Jimmy Buffett or Dan Jenkins or just maybe John Updike? Anyways here's the scenario:

A high school basketball coach is talking to his team at practice or just before a game. He talks about how he used to be a boxer (possibly in the army), and really good at the amateur level. Then he fought a guy who knocked him out in the first round. That guy moved up to the golden gloves boxing level and got beaten quickly by a third guy. The third guy went professional and lost his first ten bouts. The coach finishes by saying something like "it's not the size of the mountain, it's the size of the mountains around you."

Driving me nuts, would appreciate any help.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Time to add some good tracks as a big gently caress you to everyone :evilbuddy:

e: Oh heck my office-mate is off somewhere today so I can actually tune in without disturbing anyone!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Okay, I am sure this is one weirdly specific Google away, but I really suck at googling these things, so here goes:

It's a book set in a future UK where there's some sort of trade embargo/war. So food and clothes and shoes and all that necessary stuff eventually spirals in cost or becomes almost impossible to obtain. The main character is a boy, I am pretty sure he has two sisters (the younger sister is named Ellen).

Anyway. Main characters dad is a lunatic prepper who stocks up for his family, and the plot of the book revolves around the fact they're suddenly the most resource rich house in town while everyone around them becomes increasingly desperate.

Some plot points I remember:

- the kids find a bunch of clothes in their house that don't fit any of them, but they realise it's to keep the younger sister clothed as she grows, implying the dad expects the embargo to go on for a long time.
- the dad cutting a deal with a butcher and trading winter shoes for a freezer full of meat
- the town becoming aware that while they're all going hungry, the main characters family doesn't seem to be losing much weight or looking as thin-faced like the rest of them
- the main character watching an ad on TV about people hoarding food and resources in their homes (like their family).
- the main character volunteers for meals on wheels and some being resentful old people are getting a steady supply of food while a characters pregnant wife couldn't
- main character giving some tins of food to somebody who needed it and eventually giving his dad hundreds of pounds from his bank account because that's what the tins were worth
- main character growing a conscious and deciding he couldn't live with himself, so he engineered a heist of his parents food stash

In light of recent events I've had a hankering to re-read it. Also to show my friends that this depressing rubbish has existed for a long while. I have a feeling it was written in the 80s or 90s.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sounds like Noah's Castle by John Rowe Townsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Runcible Cat posted:

Sounds like Noah's Castle by John Rowe Townsend.

Looking at the reviews, that is most likely it. Thanks!