Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sir Kodiak posted:

Eric Roberts. He's got an Academy Awards nomination and multiple Golden Globes nominations. He was the voice of the cat in A Talking Cat!?!, then next year was in Inherent Vice, then the year after that appeared in Frank D'Angelo Sicilian Vampire.

Eric and his wife were interviewed on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast recently. It's a good listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has any actor ever had a career that balanced fun movies and serious movies and good movies and bad movies more than Brad Dourif? He's got the best career, as a total tapestry, of anybody I can think of.

Ben Kingsley comes to mind. Throughout his career he's been in good and bad movies. He never had a point in his career like Deniro where he just said 'gently caress it'. He's been very consistent.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Has any actor ever had a career that balanced fun movies and serious movies and good movies and bad movies more than Brad Dourif? He's got the best career, as a total tapestry, of anybody I can think of.

Michael Caine?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SimonCat posted:

Michael Caine?

Jaws 4 was pretty bad, I really enjoyed Harry Brown though not sure if that film even got exposure outside the UK.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Jaws 4 was pretty bad, I really enjoyed Harry Brown though not sure if that film even got exposure outside the UK.

Michael Caine on Jaws 4 posted:

I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SimonCat posted:

Michael Caine?

This is the only right answer I've heard so far.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Seymour Cassell would be in your movie as long as you covered traveling expenses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I am attempting to rewatch the fast and the furious series but which movie do I watch first? Fast and Furious, The Fast and The Furious, or Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Fast and the Furious
2Fast2Furious
Fast and Furious
Fast Five
The Fast and the Furious 6
F&F Tokyo Drift
Furious 7
F8 of the Furious
F&F presents: Hobbs and Shaw
F9: The Fast Saga

:getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zedd posted:

The Fast and the Furious
2Fast2Furious
Fast and Furious
Fast Five
The Fast and the Furious 6
F&F Tokyo Drift
Furious 7
F8 of the Furious
F&F presents: Hobbs and Shaw
F9: The Fast Saga

:getin:

Is this order of quality? If so I have so many problems with this list.

Fast Five
The Fast and The Furious
Furious 6
Furious 7
Tokyo Drift
Fast and Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
F8
Hobbes and Shaw is a spin off so I'm not going to rank it
no one has seen F9 so it's impossible to rank

Honestly I don't know where to put Tokyo or 2 Fast on the list I could put either of them anywhere on the list depending on my mood.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Skwirl posted:

Is this order of quality? If so I have so many problems with this list.

It’s the chronological order of the movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The best one is 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

yeah for real. tokyo drift is a close 2nd and then 5 and 1 and everything else sucks except for the paul walker scene from 7 that gets me choked up cuz cmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meaq9k81t1k

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Klungar posted:

It’s the chronological order of the movies.

Chronological lists of movies that aren't released in chronological order are loving pointless. Are you one of those assholes who thinks a kid should read The Magician's Nephew before The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe?

Edit: I missed the actual question where someone was asking about where to start with Fast and Furious films. If you plan on watching all of them you should watch them in order of release. If you want to just skip around, watch the first one and then 5, 6, 7.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 6, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
2 and 4 are super skippable

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Skwirl posted:

Chronological lists of movies that aren't released in chronological order are loving pointless. Are you one of those assholes who thinks a kid should read The Magician's Nephew before The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe?

I will never forget the day that I went to replace my lost copy of the Dawn Treader (the only book in that series I would reread), only to find out that they had completely renumbered the books and it was no longer 3 but, what, 6? or something.

Whoever the gently caress thought renumbering that series chronologically was a monster.

And don't you dare sleep on Tokyo Drift!!!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Skwirl posted:

I mean... I think I personally did? :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Klungar posted:

I mean... I think I personally did? :shrug:

You poor child. Any sort of serial fiction you should almost always read/watch in order of publication, regardless of how the timeline jumps around in the story.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Is the general plot of Gran Torino taken from an old western or similar? Grizzled old retired cowboy learns to love and protect his outcast neighbours, then sacrifices himself so they can have a better life.... I'm sure I read about it once, is there any direct precursors?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What like Shane?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

What like Shane?

Yes, but Shane doesn't die. I was thinking of something more final.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

You poor child. Any sort of serial fiction you should almost always read/watch in order of publication, regardless of how the timeline jumps around in the story.

For maximum confusion the order that the books were actually written is even more off than the chronological order IIRC.

Chrpno posted:

Yes, but Shane doesn't die. I was thinking of something more final.

The Great Silence (1968)
The Shootist (1976)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

will i ever be able to see a non comic book movie again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

fart simpson posted:

will i ever be able to see a non comic book movie again

My list of stuff from 2019 I still need to see is like 30 movies long and growing so there's movies out there if you look for them

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Zogo posted:

The Shootist (1976)

Yeah, I never saw The Shootist but I'm not sure I've read a review of Gran Torino that didn't mention it somewhere.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

EL BROMANCE posted:

I believe it did, as I asked previously how known that was (as I was young, hadn’t seen the first one etc) and apparently it was completely public knowledge. What a boneheaded move.

People say this now but there is absolutely no way at all whatsoever that was ever intended to be a genuine plot twist. Both "Arnold's the good guy this time" and "Mind-blowing new villain" are absolutely vital to not only the most basic general plot description, but were the two major hooks for getting people to watch it in the first place.

I was about six years old when I first saw it and even then I could tell that the movie knew that I knew who the hero and villain was and those initial scenes were about generating anticipation over when and how exactly it was going to make the reveal, like "oh man, wait 'til these characters find out the policeman is actually the evil one and the giant biker with a shotgun is the good one, this is gonna be so good..."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Twists are fun, but if a movie doesn't work if you already know the twist, a movie doesn't work.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey which version of Dark City am I meant to watch so it doesnt have the spoilery narration also don't spoil me please

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey which version of Dark City am I meant to watch so it doesnt have the spoilery narration also don't spoil me please

Director's cut

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

People say this now but there is absolutely no way at all whatsoever that was ever intended to be a genuine plot twist. Both "Arnold's the good guy this time" and "Mind-blowing new villain" are absolutely vital to not only the most basic general plot description, but were the two major hooks for getting people to watch it in the first place.

I was about six years old when I first saw it and even then I could tell that the movie knew that I knew who the hero and villain was and those initial scenes were about generating anticipation over when and how exactly it was going to make the reveal, like "oh man, wait 'til these characters find out the policeman is actually the evil one and the giant biker with a shotgun is the good one, this is gonna be so good..."

Recently in a different thread I made the remark that there is the desire that it had been a plot twist to them. People like the movie and you know what would make it even better? If they didn't know that one thing ahead of time. That it would have amazed them. It doesn't really matter what the intent of the script writer, director and marketing department was.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Recently in a different thread I made the remark that there is the desire that it had been a plot twist to them. People like the movie and you know what would make it even better? If they didn't know that one thing ahead of time. That it would have amazed them. It doesn't really matter what the intent of the script writer, director and marketing department was.

I mean the film itself definitely treats it as a twist, regardless of whether the marketing spoiled it or not

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Tenzarin posted:

I couldn't get into it because I was ridiculously aggreived at the idea of CG car stunts.

In fact, after the first, are practical stunts still a thing in that series at all?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

I couldn't get into it because I was ridiculously aggreived at the idea of CG car stunts.

In fact, after the first, are practical stunts still a thing in that series at all?

The climactic scene in Fast Five was done by sawing a truck in half and plopping a fake bank vault on top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHxGu5YeKM

Parachute
May 18, 2003
^ yeah that poo poo just rules.

Disco Pope posted:

the best ones (2 and 3) have the least stunts and the best everything else

edit: don't get me wrong here; send the team to space

Parachute fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 11, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

holy gently caress dark city was a trip and by the looks of it the vast majority was done with practical effects too

questions thread so here's a question, having watched the narration on youtube now

why the HELL was that in there

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 11, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
99% probability that it was to make it more "accessible" to dumb-dumbs in test screenings who wrote "I was confused for most of the movie :("

Congrats for being able to watch it the first time without getting spoiled! When I first saw it I didn't have access to the director's cut, but CineD told me to just cover my ears for the first minute or whatnot so I made it out unscathed, too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The copy I had had the narration, but I turned it off after like the first line and found a director's cut.

That was a seriously great film.

Ebert seems to agree too.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-dark-city-2005

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Dark City is so good. I had it spoiled for me in 2008 when I caught the first few minutes of the narrated version, so I waited literally 10 years until I forgot the plot to watch it fully. Totally worth it.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
The visual storytelling is tremendous. In the beginning of the movie, when he breaks the fishbowl and then puts the fish in the tub... that's the whole movie right there. Then he spends the rest of the movie looking for the ocean. That's how it's DONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Another question if I may. Ghosts of Mars is one of my favourite go-to mindless films. I feel like I read a thread here a couple years ago discussing 'siege' films, which mentioned Assault on Precinct 13, but also an older Western in that vein. Am I remembering wrong? Was it High Noon? I could be way off base, but I'm certain I read that Mars was based on one of the classic westerns.