Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The badge also kind of randomly vanishes which make things weirder.

Wolfsheim posted:

I know this defeats ~the point~ but I kinda wonder what would have happened if Marston had just taken enough to pay off his farm and left the rest of the money there. I would think the feds would be less inclined to hunt down a few thousand if they got back the other 95% of it.

When my roommate was playing and hosed up early on in Chapter 2 by riding over a civilian in Valentine then shooting at cops I was surprised when the gang members who were hanging out in the bar (to lead into the mission where Bill starts a bar fight) actually come out and shoot back/take cover/have combat lines/etc. It definitely seems like a remnant of a larger concept.
One other example of this is if you get into a fight close to camp, the gang members will come help you, but you won't get a full fight. The fight will start, but fade into the cloud transition and put you back at camp. Dutch might chew you out for starting poo poo too close to camp.

In Chapter 2 that extends quite a bit. I've had them ride down to Flatneck to help me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of, I got a mod menu thing that lets me play as Sadie. She's got her own whistles, greetings, taunts, reactions to getting shot, etc all the poo poo Arthur and John have. Also of note is her dead eye mode is different in that there's no target painting at all, it's purely a slow motion feature with a heavier orange tint to everything.

Out havin' a normal one in the swamp

She also has her own no aiming fanning a revolver animation

Strange that all of this is on an NPC :raise:

Seems like remnants of a GTAV-like system where there are three player characters each with their own bullet time/dead eye.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zesty posted:

They have superior handling and great speed and acceleration.

Skittishness is an illusion and all horses behave the same. This has been tested.

If you want to avoid the skittishness intrinsic to all horses, use the calm button while riding it especially in scary situations. I know it’s left stick press on an XBox controller.

Get a Black Arabian.

The speed's the only thing I've seen a real test of, and it's the same for all of them. And I own an Arabian, thank you, they're definitely not worth it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I feel like I've never really noticed this skittishness problem with my arabians that everyone talks about, not any worse than any of the other horses, anyway. I do seem to find that they run out of stamina faster than other breeds though, and that can be annoying (although after a certain point it's trivial to keep your horse drugs stocked up so I guess that's technically not a big problem).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Arcella posted:

Seems like remnants of a GTAV-like system where there are three player characters each with their own bullet time/dead eye.
I can't imagine that's true... it would be such a different game.

I think they've also stated that a design philosophy was that you're living as Arthur Morgan as opposed to GTA V's narrative philosophy of cutting between the interesting parts of the main characters' lives.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think they've also stated that a design philosophy was that you're living as Arthur Morgan as opposed to GTA V's narrative philosophy of cutting between the interesting parts of the main characters' lives.

It would have been great for the epilogue, especially since charles and sadie are up to their own adventures offscreen, but yeah, it would have harmed the base game I think.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FuturePastNow posted:

The speed's the only thing I've seen a real test of, and it's the same for all of them. And I own an Arabian, thank you, they're definitely not worth it.

If you want to intentionally handicap yourself, that’s fine. You can be wrong. But if someone asks a question I’m going to give them the correct info and inform them when someone is giving them bad info based on their gut feeling.

Speed is pretty similar among horses and doesn’t change much, horse to horse. Black Arabian still has the best acceleration and a point shy of the best speed. I personally want one of the fastest horses because that little bonus above others does make a difference in whether you win a race or can catch up to someone running from you (or getting away when being chased).

It also has THE BEST handling which is going to affect you all of the time. It’s also a relatively small horse and will not get caught between a rock and a hard place as often. It’s all the things like that that add up to being a more comfortable and speedy ride the all the other choices.

I also enjoy open World PVP and the dark color does make it harder to spot which is helpful in a lot of situations. Not just general riding, but situations where I need to call my horse into a gun fight and grab a different gun or a fresh hat (for never without one card). This is a minor thing but it’s important to me. When you’re in a fight with someone, wounding their horse is helpful for taking away what is essentially their gun supply, headshot blocking hats, and mobility.

So if little things like every stat that makes a horse distinct and superior isn’t important to you, yeah, don’t stress it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

About speed, I do notice a difference with the nacogdoches saddle that gives +1 speed / +1 acceleration on my top-rank Criollo (whee 10 speed/8 acceleration!) compared to the normal saddles, so I don't know why people say the speeds are all the same, they most definitely are not. I do miss the handling of the arabian but the criollo never bucks me off while the arabian did it many times which is a decent tradeoff.

the basic Kladruber is unbearably slow compared to the 250$ red arabian for instance

I might notice it more because I ride everywhere a lot and I like to haul rear end so I'm not slowing down, ever (yes I do trip over small pebbles and fall down all the time, why do you ask?)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have a Criollo. Big and ugly. Slightly faster top speed. Same temperament as a the Arabian and all other horses. Easily mitigated using the "calm" function. It's currently my backup when someone decides to kill my horse. I only ever see it when a cheater comes in and teleports everyone into the sky. Picked it up before I had the rank requirement for the Black Arabian.

All horses have the same temperment. But EVEN IF it was more skittish, the benefits of an Arabian would still outweigh other horses. I don't casually stroll through alligators though.

If you like your Criollo, keep your Criollo though. I wish horses actually mattered so I could have a few for different situations. I was looking up horses specifically that were big beefy brave bruisers because I thought it would be a fun gimmick, but all my research shows that there aren't those kinds of differences. Horses are just in various tiers with some very slight variation between top tier which amounts to "Black Arabian which is superior in everything except speed, or a horse which is inferior in everything except a +1 speed."

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 8, 2020

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it was absolutely the concept for the main game, just what it reminded me of. And like Torak said, doing that for the epilogue does make a certain kind of sense. I still like the game warts and all, but it'd be interesting to hear about other concepts they had, and how far they got into implementing them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

I have a Criollo. Big and ugly. Slightly faster top speed. Same temperament as a the Arabian and all other horses. Easily mitigated using the "calm" function. It's currently my backup when someone decides to kill my horse. I only ever see it when a cheater comes in and teleports everyone into the sky. Picked it up before I had the rank requirement for the Black Arabian.

All horses have the same temperment. But EVEN IF it was more skittish, the benefits of an Arabian would still outweigh other horses. I don't casually stroll through alligators though.

If you like your Criollo, keep your Criollo though. I wish horses actually mattered so I could have a few for different situations. I was looking up horses specifically that were big beefy brave bruisers because I thought it would be a fun gimmick, but all my research shows that there aren't those kinds of differences. Horses are just in various tiers with some very slight variation between top tier which amounts to "Black Arabian which is superior in everything except speed, or a horse which is inferior in everything except a +1 speed."

Yeah when I'll have enough extra money (still have to finish upgrading my ability cards) I'll probably get the white arabian just because I don't want to waste all that gold on the black one, and see the difference with the criollo, the "ahaa the arabian bucks me off all the time" is back from 2 months ago and I might be misremembering / exagerating stuff

I'm definitely going to get rid of the basic kladruber, that's just huge and slow and goofy for no redeeming qualities, I only have it because it was a free gift from rockstar or whatever

also I don't get why we can have like 10 stable spaces, who in their right minds would pay money upfront + upkeep for that (I have 3 spaces and it's 2.25$ so not that much but still) when there's barely a point to keeping 3-4 horses tops, more like 1-2?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
White Arabian is a direct downgrade from the Black Arabian. Gold grows on trees if you keep your streak going. and it's on sale right now for... 31g, I think?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I put together a spreadsheet of horses.

I graded stats. If you were tied for the best Speed, for instance, you got 100 points. If you were tied for second best, you got 90. Etc. Mobility score is just your graded speed and acceleration combined. Your cores score is your graded health and stamina cores combined. Your overall score is both Mobility and Cores score combined.

Ranking priority on that spreadsheet is Overall > Speed > Acceleration > Stamina > Health. I know some people may prioritize Stamina higher than Acceleration. You can duplicate this spreadsheet and order things to whatever you value.

I'm no expert in this kind of thing, so if you disagree with my method, I won't have any hard feelings and I'm happy to discuss it.

Here's a screenshot of what I would consider Top Tier + White Arabian:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 9, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Arcella posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it was absolutely the concept for the main game, just what it reminded me of. And like Torak said, doing that for the epilogue does make a certain kind of sense. I still like the game warts and all, but it'd be interesting to hear about other concepts they had, and how far they got into implementing them.
I wish in general Rockstar was more open about this stuff. I think the word from the leaks is that there was a version of RDR2 that was more in line with GTA V and RDR1. Skyrim was apparently a big influence and what pushed the call for interactivity that isn't all about shooting poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol if you believe the stat bars and pie charts the game's UI shows you

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FuturePastNow posted:

lol if you believe the stat bars and pie charts the game's UI shows you

We get it. Your gimmick is toxic contrarian.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My buddy. "Isn't the Ultimate Edition horse supposed to be the best or second best in the game?"

Oh no, Pumpkin. Ranked it 36/84.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And your gimmick is telling people to spend 31 gold (42 after this week) on a horse that's no better than any other.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FuturePastNow posted:

And your gimmick is telling people to spend 31 gold (42 after this week) on a horse that's no better than any other.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. So whatever, man. :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I bought a warhorse and he's pretty

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Did Rockstar really not account for the time change? Logged in to do a daily and then move on and it's still giving me yesterday's dailies instead of updating at 1am like it's been doing

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Putting horse chat in perspective: it’s a bit like buying a coat and hat. Sure, you don’t have to spend the gold. But, if you did, then you have that little something above what someone didn’t spend gold on, aesthetic or otherwise.

E. I’ve got half a mind to buy a black Arabian, what with having 40 some gold on hand. I was saving for the next Outlaw Pass, but no news on that one.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 9, 2020

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Did Rockstar really not account for the time change? Logged in to do a daily and then move on and it's still giving me yesterday's dailies instead of updating at 1am like it's been doing
Nope, it's been that way since the beginning.
One half of the year, the challenges resat at 10pm Pacific.
Now they reset at 11pm PDT.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have put together a Steam guide including the spreadsheet and a basic guide for buying horses throughout your Online experience.

FuturePastNow posted:

Once you've got a Nacogdoches saddle with the best stirrups, it doesn't really matter what horse you've got for speed, they'll all be within a single-digit % of the same top speed. Stamina won't be an issue on all but the lowest-stamina horses, and even then you use horse roids. I'd say health is the most important stat.

You're wrong about Speed and Acceleration not being important but you made an excellent point about Health. I would prioritize it over Stamina in the late game and have recommended that in my guide as well.

For fun, I've designed the perfect horse using the metrics of my spreadsheet. Maybe the theorized upcoming Naturalist role will use it.

Speed: 100
Accel: 100
Stamina: 60
Health: 100
Class: Superior
Total: 360 (same as other top tier horses)

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 9, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

White Arabian is a direct downgrade from the Black Arabian. Gold grows on trees if you keep your streak going. and it's on sale right now for... 31g, I think?

White Arabian has 8 stamina and 8 health, that's the only difference. Stamina matters exactly nothing (with nacogdoches and good stirrups, and using calm every 20-30 seconds or so, there is literally no way to deplete stamina, not even full tilt running from St Denis to Tumbleweed), and even health isn't that important: if someone wants to kill your horse, they will, and easily. Anything above 5-6 health is good enough to survive some random potshots.

I can't help but think you overvalue cores according to my own experience, but hey it's no big deal. I do have extra gold to spend and might go for the black one just for aesthetics if it's on sale

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TorakFade posted:

White Arabian has 8 stamina and 8 health, that's the only difference. Stamina matters exactly nothing (with nacogdoches and good stirrups, and using calm every 20-30 seconds or so, there is literally no way to deplete stamina, not even full tilt running from St Denis to Tumbleweed), and even health isn't that important: if someone wants to kill your horse, they will, and easily. Anything above 5-6 health is good enough to survive some random potshots.

I can't help but think you overvalue cores according to my own experience, but hey it's no big deal. I do have extra gold to spend and might go for the black one just for aesthetics if it's on sale

White Arabian and Black Arabian have identical Speed and Acceleration. The White has lesser Stamina and Health cores. Considering the required rank between the two horses is only 4 levels, I'd wait until you can get the better horse.

Health is important because if it takes an opposing player 3 shots instead of 2, that's time that you benefit from. We agree about Stamina, it's not that important in the Late Game but I'd say it sometimes comes into play regardless. Swimming your horse to the islands west of Lemoyne, for instance. I had a wild open world PVP during a crab meat daily where I was defending the islands from players trying to cross on their horse while my buddy was trying to find a crab spawn for himself. Even with the best possible stamina, you only barely make it with enough. I don't think I overvalue cores. They should always be considered especially if you're about to drop $850 on something that gets overshadowed within 4 ranks by something you can spend worthless gold on.

Gold becomes useless before cash does. When you've run out of things to spend gold on, even things where you can substitute gold for cash, you still will have plenty of ability cards that can only have cash spent to unlock them. I've had a surplus 100g while being bottlenecked on cash. Absolutely ready for the next outlaw pass and still have plenty of gold to spend on whatever new content comes out.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 9, 2020

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zesty posted:

We get it. Your gimmick is toxic contrarian.

Settle down about the video game horses, dude.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

Gold becomes useless before cash does. When you've run out of things to spend gold on, even things where you can substitute gold for cash, you still will have plenty of ability cards that can only have cash spent to unlock them. I've had a surplus 100g while being bottlenecked on cash. Absolutely ready for the next outlaw pass and still have plenty of gold to spend on whatever new content comes out.

This is actually a good point. In my head gold is "PREMIUM CURRENCY, DO NOT WASTE" but really, I already have all the gold-only cosmetics that I want and enough saved up for the next outlaw pass + eventual new role + some extra so I can surely afford the Arabian.

Let's do this crazy thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Settle down about the video game horses, dude.

Never. I'll make more spreadsheets. You can't stop me.

TorakFade posted:

This is actually a good point. In my head gold is "PREMIUM CURRENCY, DO NOT WASTE" but really, I already have all the gold-only cosmetics that I want and enough saved up for the next outlaw pass + eventual new role + some extra so I can surely afford the Arabian.

Let's do this crazy thing.

:clint::respek::clint:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

It went very well

drat I forgot about how lovely it is to have low bonding.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TorakFade posted:

It went very well

Oh, Mr. Vice President. Glad to see you have a SA account.

TorakFade posted:

drat I forgot about how lovely it is to have low bonding.

If you really wanted to, you could lead the horse around for about 40 minutes to max it out. or 20 minutes for 3/4 bonding.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of, I got a mod menu thing that lets me play as Sadie. She's got her own whistles, greetings, taunts, reactions to getting shot, etc all the poo poo Arthur and John have. Also of note is her dead eye mode is different in that there's no target painting at all, it's purely a slow motion feature with a heavier orange tint to everything.

Out havin' a normal one in the swamp

She also has her own no aiming fanning a revolver animation

Strange that all of this is on an NPC :raise:

That kind of mechanics and detailing are simply not done unless it was meant to serve some real purpose; this more or less alone confirms that Sadie was going to be a playable character at some point of development.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I use the horse I stole in the tutorial and he is gray with a little white spot on his nose and he is a good boy

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
There's a new patch that gives you a raccoon hat if you have 2 factor authentication enabled :f5:

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Der Kyhe posted:

That kind of mechanics and detailing are simply not done unless it was meant to serve some real purpose; this more or less alone confirms that Sadie was going to be a playable character at some point of development.

Not necessarily. They mocapped and voiced a lot of stuff for everyone, especially since they help out in missions. Do any other NPC/Gang Members have this depth of detail on a model swap?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't want to give up my pre-order horse. I realize he's not unique or anything but he's the same horse I've always used and I love him. We both even have the same braid, its so cute :3

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
I've switched my moonshine shack location for the first time... disappointed that the interior layout is the same but I like the band being different. I now have Hipster Santa in a fedora playing the banjo.

edit: ...and the disturbing offspring from the unholy union of Tom Selleck and Charlie Day playing the washboard.

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 10, 2020

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Does each location have its own band?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
I've only done two locations so far and the members of the band are different except for the piano player. She seems to be the same character model and voice actor for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Update: I settled on the Criollo and holy crap I must have been using the wrong saddle/stirrups combo on my old horse, because even at bonding level 1 I was able to tap L3 enough to keep his energy topped off.

Then I used the "lead the horse around for 40 minutes" to get max bonding except I found it was more like an hour+.

She flies and I can basically go full tilt and never have any kind of stamina issue, even when carrying a carcass, so thanks to all of you who advised.