Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Buff allegedly shot his dad during a domestic dispute so he's cool with me.

I never hated Buff, honestly. He was fine in the ring before he broke his neck, not great but he was fine, and his character work after he came back was good. Too bad they hosed up his return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Randaconda posted:

I never hated Buff, honestly. He was fine in the ring before he broke his neck, not great but he was fine, and his character work after he came back was good. Too bad they hosed up his return.

There was never a better time to push Buff than when he came back from that gruesome neck injury. but for some insane reason they had Buff join the man who injured him, and this was a year before Russo joined.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I will admit to secretly liking buff bagwell as a kid

he was built like a cartoon character and the buff blockbuster ruled, and I was a sucker for big hats and catchphrases that rhyme

edit: I also kind of liked rob conway, both because of his theme and because he reminded me of buff

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I will admit to secretly liking buff bagwell as a kid

he was built like a cartoon character and the buff blockbuster ruled, and I was a sucker for big hats and catchphrases that rhyme

edit: I also kind of liked rob conway, both because of his theme and because he reminded me of buff

Yeah, big Buff mark back in the 90s. He was like a walking pair of JNCOs.

Rob's a nice guy IRL. Lives down on the Indiana side of Louisville. Bumped into him twice and didn't realize who he was.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

coconono posted:

Buff allegedly shot his dad during a domestic dispute so he's cool with me.

It was a shoot brother

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have absolutely no shame in saying I was a Bagwell fan.

First he was teaming up with the coolest guy ever in 2 Cold. And that was cool.

Then he was teaming up with the Patriot and I was just amused by the idea that he just jumped partners and completely changed his whole act to match the guy.

Then he was an American Male and it was just funny.

And then he had the sense to answer a nWo open tryout, became a cartoon character, never stopped trash talking the camera even while wrestling, and started teaming up with Scott Norton. And then I was in love.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, Buff joining the nwo made a lot of sense. He was the poo poo-talking buddy of the evil jock in every 90s teenage comedy, how could he not be part of the nwo?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bagwell even got involved in the Sting/Luger thing at one point as their mutual friend who got caught up. So like how could I not like him?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bagwell was the kind of masculine my 18 year old rear end aspired to be.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Buff was a great first level boss for the NWO.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

LOL, apparently I should spend more time on this forum talking about things I thought are/were bad so I can get replies from like 20 people saying how great said things are/were.

(No I don't think there's some grand conspiracy against me or anything weird like that, I just seem to be on a streak of going against the tide lately)

Also, I wasn't watching during his "American Males" stint or any of his earlier stuff, I only ever saw his nWo run and then when he had the top hat, and he just made me want to change the channel whenever he was on. But I also didn't like Lance Storm in WCW (I've come around on him somewhat since) so I'm used to being alone in my WCW opinions by now.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think you're all explaining why they didn't pull the trigger on a Buff face turn in '98.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think you're gonna find that people like all sorts of different things.

Was Buff the greatest technical wrestler that ever lived? Nope

Was he the greatest charismatic wrestler? Nope

Was he buff and stuff? hell yeah.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChrisBTY posted:

I think you're all explaining why they didn't pull the trigger on a Buff face turn in '98.

The weird thing is that WCW did the actual logical thing, since Rick Steiner had broke his neck, but he had so much sympathy and come back so early they should have done what they usually did and ignored logical booking and tried a face push.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Making everybody the same has been ruining WWE for like 15 years now, so I agree.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

The same way that I hear Bryan and Vinny say that Hulk hogan is just perfect at "Being Hulk Hogan", it's pretty much the same thing with Buff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChrisBTY posted:

It would be dishonest to say its my "favorite thing about Buff" because there's a lot of things I'd say are my favorite thing about Buff. But my favorite thing about Buff is that time they did turn him face and have him be the focal point of a big face group of Benoit, Dean, and Saturn and then the next week he was just gone and Shane Douglas had been recast in his role.

I want to know the man who said "I don't think Buff will work as the leader of this upstart face group... lets use the Franchise instead."

I also love Shane Douglas and have no shame about it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DJExile posted:

The same way that I hear Bryan and Vinny say that Hulk hogan is just perfect at "Being Hulk Hogan", it's pretty much the same thing with Buff

Had Hogan decided to plow Mrs Love Sponge with the cameras off, the world would be a much different place.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Buff and Scott Steiner whether they're on the same side or not was always good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HZGr1K00TM

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

Buff and Scott Steiner whether they're on the same side or not was always good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HZGr1K00TM

oh god, didn't scott stiff the gently caress out of him for this

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Scotty apparently legit didn't like Buff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Scotty did like assaulting people.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DJExile posted:

Pretty much, yeah

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Best Buff Bagwell moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsHja1TU1c0

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The actual best American Males thing is the video that Riggs and Bagwell had made themselves to pitch the gimmick (to Jimmy Hart, IIRC), which is set to, of all things, A-Ha's "Lie Down In Darkness" from their 1993 album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrh5j7v6DuQ

It's actually incredibly well-made, to the point that there's a mirror of it on another account mistakenly framing it as an official video for the song. The actual Males intro video that aired on TV is *also* really well-produced, but it's got an awful instrumental version of the terrible actual American Males theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKzK-mGFUyI

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have never seen that first video before and I want to thank you so much for this wonderful gift.

Also I am now completely heartbroken that we never had Spice as the third in the American Males poly relationship. What could have been.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

coconono posted:

There was a night he was Buff and Stuff and in Buffalo. Naturally, the promo was outstanding.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

As a kid I thought Buff Bagwell was stupid and lame. As an adult I've learned to appreciate what he brought to the table. As others have said, Buff Bagwell is the most Buff Bagwell anyone has ever been, and there's value in that.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This is the best version of the American Males theme. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiXZtgIhrq4

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't know exactly why or how I ended up watching a bunch of GWF when it was on ESPN in the early 1990s, but I definitely did. The only things that made any impression on me from that show:

1) The Lightning Kid (Sean Waltman) who I thought ruled rear end
2) The Patriot (and the Dark Patriot), who I hated equally
3) Rastan the Voodoo Man, who was so bad I loved him
4) The Handsome Stranger (aka Marcus Bagwell), who was incredibly cheesy but also as a pre-teen I thought was mad corny because his entire gimmick was "he wears a little mask and ladies want to have sex with him"

Which is to say that GWF made me a permanent X-Pac mark and made me unfairly biased against Marcus "Buff "The Stuff"" Bagwell, though I played him a lot in WCW/NWO Revenge because his dance taunt and Blockbuster were cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Since everyone is being a good little Buffhead I am going to share something that I don't know if I've ever shared in here since the day I showed it on PSP-TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5gLxffcc8

The Buff Bagwell WCW on QVC special. Please do not share it outside of this thread. These specials were incredibly hard to track down. At the time (only a few years ago) they weren't online anywhere and I had to buy a copy of a dude's VHS tape. It's one of the most entertaining hours of home shopping you'll see. I might reair the other specials on PSP-TV soon.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Lash LeRoux was the last new thing I remember loving about WCW before I stopped watching wrestling for about eight years, and I can’t make myself go back and watch anything out of fear that he was Actually Bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Takuan posted:

As a kid I thought Buff Bagwell was stupid and lame. As an adult I've learned to appreciate what he brought to the table.
I really loving hated Bagwell, which I now realize means he was very good at his job.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

Since everyone is being a good little Buffhead I am going to share something that I don't know if I've ever shared in here since the day I showed it on PSP-TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5gLxffcc8

The Buff Bagwell WCW on QVC special. Please do not share it outside of this thread. These specials were incredibly hard to track down. At the time (only a few years ago) they weren't online anywhere and I had to buy a copy of a dude's VHS tape. It's one of the most entertaining hours of home shopping you'll see. I might reair the other specials on PSP-TV soon.

Could you post the others in the thread as well? It's been forever since I've seen them on PSP-TV.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Punch McLightning posted:

Lash LeRoux was the last new thing I remember loving about WCW before I stopped watching wrestling for about eight years, and I can’t make myself go back and watch anything out of fear that he was Actually Bad.
The Ragin' Cajun. The Ayatolla of Shrimp Creolla.

Lash LeRoux should've been an over-as-gently caress television champion contender at least.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

This is the best version of the American Males theme. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiXZtgIhrq4
That might be the drunkest I've ever heard good brother Dave Prazak on commentary.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lash was alright, was just brought up to the main roster way too fast and was green as hell.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Randaconda posted:

Scotty apparently legit didn't like Buff

I wish I could remember who it was but didn't someone think Buff was a wuss for getting calf implants? It very well could have been Scotty.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheKingslayer posted:

I wish I could remember who it was but didn't someone think Buff was a wuss for getting calf implants? It very well could have been Scotty.

Maybe? From I what I recall of Scotty's surprisingly coherent shoot, he just thought Buff treated other people like poo poo all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Scott Steiner is such a bizarre guy to me. He obviously has a sense of right and wrong, poo poo he's not cool with but also a complete juiced out of his mind psycho.