Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I friend of mine living in the US told me his bus ride to work was almost empty, so was his workplace.

So has America gone from "it's just a flu" to "Italian quarantine" in about a week?

I guess since Americans are notorious for distrusting their govt, people think this is actually serious and take their own measures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

There Bias Two posted:

That's kinda hosed since not everyone has the luxury of moving with a week notice.

Yeah kicking people out of their homes is insane.

They’ll presumably now fly home to hang out with their older relatives...

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

By the time the barbarians Ottoman took Constantinople, it was a ghost town. Years of Plage emptied the city to the point only a small group of people lived there (only 50.000, from the original 400.000)

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Any tips on how not to touch your loving face all the time? Since I became conscious of it I’ve realised I spend about 90% of each hour playing with my beard or brushing my hair off my face

:negative:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

That's kinda hosed since not everyone has the luxury of moving with a week notice.

They do if they go to Harvard

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think it was the fall of commerce that killed the Roma empire. Travelling or commerce was very hard with bandits. So people had to live with what they had in the place.

Making travelling unsafe killed the Roman empire*

*I made this up, but sounds cool

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I friend of mine living in the US told me his bus ride to work was almost empty, so was his workplace.

So has America gone from "it's just a flu" to "Italian quarantine" in about a week?

I guess since Americans are notorious for distrusting their govt, people think this is actually serious and take their own measures?

Well it depends on where he lives for sure. For example in Dallas Texas no one seems to have the Roni madness yet, stores have plenty of poo poo, but my wife’s work was pretty empty. Here it’s a combination of spring break just started and people already sick with the ‘normal’ flu. I’d say probably only 20% of the people not at work are Roni madness.

If your friend is in California I’d bet it’s like 99% Roni. I expect Texas to ramp up our Roni measures by the end of the week for sure.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

monkeytennis posted:

Any tips on how not to touch your loving face all the time? Since I became conscious of it I’ve realised I spend about 90% of each hour playing with my beard or brushing my hair off my face

Shave the beard anyway since it interferes withe the seal on your mask, might as well do the whole head while you've got the razor in your hand, get an early start on that warboy look.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The US is a big, big place.

Only indication that something is going on here in S. Florida is that stores are out of isopropyl alcohol, disinfecting wipes, and the little bottles of antibacterial hand soap.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

What's the situation on the ground in Seattle? I know the hospitals are all full, but are there people still milling about the streets all willy nilly?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

What's the situation on the ground in Seattle? I know the hospitals are all full, but are there people still milling about the streets all willy nilly?

As of Friday downtown Seattle was basically empty of traffic and pedestrians.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

monkeytennis posted:

this is how it goes. keep at it for a couple of weeks and you will start to notice when you begin to move your hand up to your face and be able to stop it. awareness of how often you're touching your face is the first step towards not doing it anymore

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

monkeytennis posted:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

monkeytennis posted:

shave

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Over/under when the thread title will get changed because it's too morbid?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I touch my face constantly because I have mild seasonal allergies & I'm thinking about picking up an OTC allergy pill for this season. Normally I just do flonase during the worst of the spring and fall, and it handles the most annoying symptoms, but it doesn't do anything for itchy eyes/cough.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Captain Beans posted:

Well it depends on where he lives for sure. For example in Dallas Texas no one seems to have the Roni madness yet, stores have plenty of poo poo, but my wife’s work was pretty empty. Here it’s a combination of spring break just started and people already sick with the ‘normal’ flu. I’d say probably only 20% of the people not at work are Roni madness.

If your friend is in California I’d bet it’s like 99% Roni. I expect Texas to ramp up our Roni measures by the end of the week for sure.

He's in Seattle I think. That might explain it. I didn't realize they were already that much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mike12345 posted:

Over/under when the thread title will get changed because it's too morbid?
We All Died: thread title change on dead man's switch

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

monkeytennis posted:

:zombie::fh:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you don't wash your hands when you poop, you'll be naturally disinclined to touch the poop with your face

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I wish. I live in one of the more progressive areas of the US, and we have enough ultra-conservative types posting things on social media like 'we don't quarantine over seasonal flu, this is all propaganda!'

While I enjoy this, because most of them are also intentionally ignorant far-right types that the world would probably be better without, it makes me sad because of their lack of caution they'll be the first infected and actually be able to get hospital beds. Meanwhile, those of us that took this seriously and eventually get infected from the tiniest slip-up a few weeks/months in will end up in field hospitals while the self-righteous assholes that ended up catching it and spreading it like mad with their lack of caution in the early days will end up recovering first.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm in southern California and it's business as usual here. Traffic is still lovely, and all my 200+ coworkers are showing up every day. The only thing I've noticed is that stores seem to be sold out of disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer. My buddy went to Costco last weekend and said that they were sold out of bottled water (why? Are people scared their utilities are going to stop working?), toilet paper, hand sanitizer and...eggs :iiam:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

monkeytennis posted:

remove face and place in dishwasher for safekeeping

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

poverty goat posted:

if you don't wash your hands when you poop, you'll be naturally disinclined to touch the poop with your face

I know two people at work that don't wash their hands after making GBS threads at work, and they constantly touch their own face (and constantly get sick, no wonder).

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Subvisual Haze posted:

By June we’re going to need more people on Earth to house all this coronavirus.

It's more like as May approaches, and the numbers start to go crazy govts will implement measures to flatten the curve, and so the agony of may will stretch until july, and then by halloween we will all get to go to parties and stuff.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I know two people at work that don't wash their hands after making GBS threads at work, and they constantly touch their own face (and constantly get sick, no wonder).

Sounds like a problem that is soon to resolve itself!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I went out this weekend (Minnesota, close to the Twin Cities) and definitely noticed a difference. Traffic only seems a bit lighter, but I went to lunch at a restaurant here that's always packed from 11-2 p.m., and there were very few people present. Hand sanitizer and wipes are showing up everywhere, and people are using them.

I haven't noticed any supply shortages aside from one particular brand of white rice that is very popular with Asian and Indian families around here. My sister-in-law had to go to three different markets looking for some last weekend and bought a few pounds of it when she finally found some.

My husband's workplace is testing its VPN and permitting people to work from home if they ask.

edit: apparently there was an exposure in a town next to us so this may be my last post. hail satan, epstein didn't kill himself

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 10, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Flying Chicago->Boston and this plane is 3/4 empty. No lines at TSA. Kinda creepy, not gonna lie.

Still tried to charge people to upgrade seats if they moved though, cause capitalism.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I got a notice from one of my suppliers that they're limiting in person tours and visits and also moving all applicable employees to WFH where possible. They are in NY, so I'm wondering how long it'll be until I can take a Corona sabbatical.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Re: face touching - was just having a titter with my colleagues when we realised how much time each day we spend literally head in hands staring at a computer and despairing at the stupidity of some of the other people we work with :rip:

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

I work for a large semiconductor company. In the last couple of days most of our engineering sites sent notifications that everyone who can WFH should start doing so immediately. The ones that haven't pulled the trigger yet are expected to soon. Manufacturing is still going strong, but many of those folks work in bunny suits in cleanrooms.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hirez posted:

I thought there was a goon in this thread who thought he was dying of it etc etc, i skipped a few days and saw he perma'd after going on and on about being an opiate addict or something

I think that account was perma'd due to being a re-reg/sex pest, so that was definitely a strange saga. I guess we'll never know what became of the sex pest addict infectee

the snow has been poo poo this year!! weird winter. 8 times out of 10 I'm wearing a long sleeve t shirt snowboarding because it's like 60+ degrees in the sun. not sure what that has to do with corona virus but whatever

Chief McHeath posted:

Coachella isn't cancelling, just rescheduling until October.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/coachella-stagecoach-festival-postponed-coronavirus-1203526766/

lol Octoberchella is going to be the ground zero of WOOK-ENHANCED-COVID-19

god I remember a flu I got at a festival, it was known as the Belden Death Flu after the town the festival was in, and it was one of the nastiest and most virulent illnesses I've ever had. A festival is an incredible place to spread a virus, everyone's right up against each other, sharing drinks and drugs, compromising their immune systems, etc.

Play fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 10, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yay, apparently my company's CEO doesn't believe in WFH, so we all keep going into the office

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

monkeytennis posted:

Re: face touching - was just having a titter with my colleagues when we realised how much time each day we spend literally head in hands staring at a computer and despairing at the stupidity of some of the other people we work with :rip:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Glumslinger posted:

Yay, apparently my company's CEO doesn't believe in WFH, so we all keep going into the office

Get that isolation bubble. Show him he’s not the only one with brain worms.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Glumslinger posted:

:guillotine: is too good for some people.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Genetic diversity data on the outbreak. Screenshot to show the data you can interact with.

E:
Here's the base URL:
https://nextstrain.org/ncov

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 10, 2020

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The US political obsession itt is baffling.

He's not wearing a mask! He must be a Trump lover! Get im! :allears:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

My local store was completely out of toilet bowl cleaner, between this and the TP shortages I suspect that the Roni has some severe rear end related symptoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

The US political obsession itt is baffling.

He's not wearing a mask! He must be a Trump lover! Get im! :allears:

this doesn't make any sense