Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MonsieurChoc posted:

We'll never get the George Romero Resident Evil movie.

But maybe they'll get Goblin to do the soundtrack for the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Xw_7BUXic

George got old and lost whatever he had. Like most directors.

Coaaab posted:

most of the world will call me a sucker for paying to post on an internet forum but i think it's paid itself off a hundredfold for keeping me off twitter

It's amazing how a tiny barrier of entry keeps out the riffraff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Beachcomber posted:

It's amazing how a tiny barrier of entry keeps out the riffraff.

Well, on the negative side, you end up with goons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Was The Good Dinosaur the tipping point for Pixar? I never got around to seeing it, but I don't think I ever heard any reviews of it that were better than lukewarm.

I'm guessing that part of it is that a few years earlier you had a one-two punch of Wall-E and Up being highwater marks for Pixar, and it would be difficult to live up to that again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Clearly it was when they canceled Newt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really didn't like Wall-E or Up so for me the decline starts there. Unless Cars came out before those in which case motherfucking Cars

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Was The Good Dinosaur the tipping point for Pixar? I never got around to seeing it, but I don't think I ever heard any reviews of it that were better than lukewarm.

I'm guessing that part of it is that a few years earlier you had a one-two punch of Wall-E and Up being highwater marks for Pixar, and it would be difficult to live up to that again.

It was after the Disney buyout that Pixar began to tank.

It wasn’t officially part of the deal but I think everyone could see that Disney demanded sequels to their popular movies in exchange for continued original films.

So for every Inside Out and Coco, they had to make a Monsters University or Finding Dory. I think Up was the last original Pixar movie put into production prior to the buyout.

Couple that with not every original film hitting the mark (see The Good Dinosaur, Brave) and you see an overall decline. Not that Pixar was immune to stinkers before the buyout (A Bugs Life, Cars 2).

It’s that run from Finding Nemo to Toy Story 3 that’s just remarkable. Only Cars was really the notable exception (but even that was just good versus instant classic).

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I couldn't even sit through the Good Dinosaur, it was just so blehhhh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thwomp posted:

Couple that with not every original film hitting the mark (see The Good Dinosaur, Brave) and you see an overall decline. Not that Pixar was immune to stinkers before the buyout (A Bugs Life, Cars 2).

Brave was a solid kids movie that was nothing like the advertising.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A Bugs Life is one of their best

Coco was aite. (Animation was great, story was bad)
Never did see Inside Out or toy story 3/4. Meh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Barudak posted:

I really didn't like Wall-E or Up so for me the decline starts there. Unless Cars came out before those in which case motherfucking Cars

You are an insane person, WALL-E and Up are the two best Pixar movies.

Cars 2 was the start of the decline IMO. The first one could be written off as Lasseter being a boomer and turning his nostalgia into a film, but Cars 2 was after the Disney acquisition and made fully for the toys.

edit to be more specific: Disney purchased Pixar in 2006, the year Cars came out. After that we got Ratatouille, WALL-E, and Up, all of which are fantastic and wonderful, despite what this dummy i quoted says. They were all in the works prior to that purchase, and Toy Story 3, which came out the year after Up, was almost certainly not in the works when the purchase happened (because Disney was trying to make it on their own since they owned the property), but probably got started about 30 seconds after all the papers were signed because Disney wanted sequels to be made and they didn't want their half-rear end C-team animation studios to do it if they could help it. Cars 2 came out the year after Toy Story 3, meaning that it was almost certainly put in production around the same time for the same reason, but it was made not because it was the conclusion to a beloved trilogy that everyone loved, but because it made stupid money from merchandising. I'm not going to say that Pixar had never made decisions based on merchandising before because I know how capitalism works, but the toyetic-ness of their films was definitely second to the actual craft themselves, which is something that Disney bemoaned on the reg and was one of the reasons Pixar didn't want to continue working with an Eisner-led Disney. Once Eisner got the boot, Pixar gave themselves over fully to the machine (which hadn't quite become the machine we think of it as today, although this was arguably the first step in that process) and started making the movie they wanted to make (Toy Story 3) and the movie Disney wanted them to make (Cars 2).

They've made good movies since then (Inside Out and Incredibles 2 being the only ones that stand alongside their previous work) but Cars 2 represents the first movie made with Disney's interests superceding Pixar's (the ol' "one for you, one for them" thing that Hollywood does), and also it's definitely a step down in quality even from Cars 1.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

My step-daughter calls it "The Bad Dinosaur" because she doesn't like it. Scathing review from a seven year old.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The beautiful scenery being blopped through by a goofy-rear end playdoh model dinosaur killed any interest I had in giving it a watch.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think it's funny that Pixar hired Neil deGrasse Tyson to do a video on how the science of The Good Dinosaur was definitely sound, probably to pre-empt any of his "well, actually" movie criticism tweets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBJdJv6sYo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hiring Neil degrasse Tyson is never sound.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't there a new Cosmos series premiering tonight? Boy, that reboot was pretty bad.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Thwomp posted:

It was after the Disney buyout that Pixar began to tank.

It wasn’t officially part of the deal but I think everyone could see that Disney demanded sequels to their popular movies in exchange for continued original films.

So for every Inside Out and Coco, they had to make a Monsters University or Finding Dory. I think Up was the last original Pixar movie put into production prior to the buyout.

It’s that run from Finding Nemo to Toy Story 3 that’s just remarkable. Only Cars was really the notable exception (but even that was just good versus instant classic).

I said it in the animation thread, but I suspect Disney is poaching talent from Pixar. I don't think its a coincidence that Walt Disney Animation studios made a comeback after acquiring Pixar.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I said it in the animation thread, but I suspect Disney is poaching talent from Pixar. I don't think its a coincidence that Walt Disney Animation studios made a comeback after acquiring Pixar.

That’s certainly possible. However, the “digital” Walt Disney Animation Studio was being stood up around the time of the Pixar purchase.

Everyone forgets they exist but that studio did put out Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt before finally getting a hit with Tangled.

It takes time to develop the animation tech and I think only with Moana in 2016 did they finally start to match some of Pixar’s nature-scapes in Up (2009) to say nothing of what Pixar can do today.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Byzantine posted:

The beautiful scenery being blopped through by a goofy-rear end playdoh model dinosaur killed any interest I had in giving it a watch.
drat its worse than i thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keYrDoZSxDQ

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Thwomp posted:

That’s certainly possible. However, the “digital” Walt Disney Animation Studio was being stood up around the time of the Pixar purchase.

Everyone forgets they exist but that studio did put out Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt before finally getting a hit with Tangled.

It takes time to develop the animation tech and I think only with Moana in 2016 did they finally start to match some of Pixar’s nature-scapes in Up (2009) to say nothing of what Pixar can do today.

I liked Meet the Robinsons and Bolt. Chicken Little was a trash fire though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Not sure on Bolt but Meet the Robinsons and Chicken Little were both heavily being altered through production, Robinsons somehow made it through all that without being terrible because there was some heart underneath. Chicken Little had a cute alien.

In movie news there's going to be a Gaston prequel series on Disney+

outside of that the big news is just all the films getting pushed over coronavirus fears, I saw Peter Rabbit 2 got pushed today, I know this thread is just full of Peter Rabbit fans so I don't want everyone to be too sad, time will pass quickly due to the news deluge and you'll get to see your talking bunnies soon

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The backstory to Gaston - his nickname in school was Beast because he didn't grow into his face properly until he was eighteen and had terrible acne, so when that passed and his looks settled he grasped onto his self-confidence with both hands terrified of losing it again.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Waiting patiently for New Mutants to get delayed

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Me: "Haha, very funny. Linking to some Video Brinquedo poo poo instead of the real movie..." *checks other source* "...holy poo poo, this is REAL?"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

That's, uh, dumb. Not quite as bad as them going revisionist on Cruella, but still dumb.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I can’t wait for the touching backstory of the racist caricature Siamese cats

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I could see it being amusing if it was just 10 episodes of Gaston getting dunked on by Belle. Make it literal Johnny Bravo. Oh god how amazing would it be if Gaston was still a virgin? He never settled for anything other than Belle, and because she constantly rejected him he just never got laid.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 10, 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Holy lol this 2018 movie being released now in America has some interesting character names

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Holy lol this 2018 movie being released now in America has some interesting character names

Ex... cuse me?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tars Tarkas posted:

Give me a loving break

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Maybe Soul will be any good?

Also, this is the first time I've heard of Soul (by browsing the Pixar wikipedia page trying to pinpoint when they first started sucking) and its release date is in June

To give credit to Pixar though, they have had an incredible run and even late stage eaten by the machine Pixar still has Coco and Inside Out and maybe (I'm pretty :geno: on it) Incredibles 2 to its name

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Soul feels the most like a Pixar movie made in that era where they were just making whatever the gently caress they wanted and Disney got mad because they couldn't sell toys of it (turns out no one wants stuffed old people or weird little robots or rats???), i would totally buy that Disney just doesn't know how to market it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Soul will probably be at least decent because of Pete Docter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DC Murderverse posted:

I can’t wait for the touching backstory of the racist caricature Siamese cats

Look we cast actual twins from Myanmar okay?

We regret to inform you the twins support the rohingya genocide

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Soul will probably be at least decent because of Pete Docter.

Isn't soul the one being scored by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Isn't soul the one being scored by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross?

Yup, with jazz stuff by Jon Batiste.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DC Murderverse posted:

Soul feels the most like a Pixar movie made in that era where they were just making whatever the gently caress they wanted and Disney got mad because they couldn't sell toys of it (turns out no one wants stuffed old people or weird little robots or rats???), i would totally buy that Disney just doesn't know how to market it.

Would be kinda surprised if Wall-E wasn't marketable considering. I remember seeing a lot of merch of it. (and yes, despite its message of consumerism destroying the world)

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Nazi is 娜孜
娜 means elegant
孜 means to be as diligent as possible
It's a good name and the pronunciation doesn't sound like that at all.
Caesar is also the character's name in Mandarin as well.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E4%BD%A0%E7%BE%8E%E4%B8%BD%E4%BA%86%E6%88%91%E7%9A%84%E4%BA%BA%E7%94%9F/22923929

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Soul really depends on whether or not it subverts expectations. If it's two hours of preachy poo poo about following your passion and not letting anything get in the way, as told by artists with massive blind spots because they're successful in their field, then it's probably going to suck. If the outcome is that he doesn't get his big break but realizes that his role as a teacher is worthwhile and fulfilling, then it will probably be good. I'm leaning towards it being the latter.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Soul really depends on whether or not it subverts expectations. If it's two hours of preachy poo poo about following your passion and not letting anything get in the way, as told by artists with massive blind spots because they're successful in their field, then it's probably going to suck. If the outcome is that he doesn't get his big break but realizes that his role as a teacher is worthwhile and fulfilling, then it will probably be good. I'm leaning towards it being the latter.

i have faith that the guy behind Up and Monster's Inc and Inside Out is gonna make it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Gaston eat the eggs.