Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there an AVR thread?

I bought a second-hand Pioneer VSX-521 which turns out to have been a pig in a poke.
The audio output sounds all hosed up and I'm wondering if there's any hope of being able to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

BigFactory posted:

It will work.

It kinda worked. Audio comes out but I can’t control the volume. They speakers have a physical volume knob but it doesn’t seem to do anything, and the tv volume does nothing as well. Guess I’ll try to troubleshoot over the weekend.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
TV settings usually have a fix for that. Look for audio out: variable vs. fixed, line vs. headphone, etc.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It's odd that the speaker's own volume knob doesn't work though - does it work if you hook it up to a computer or whatever?

Otherwise what KS said might help, but that volume knob really should work.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm working on a car audio system that is going to use a PC for DSP and active crossover. I want 3-way in the front, single woofers in the rear, plus a sub. So 8 channels + a bridged channel. I'm thinking of making my own 10 channel digital amplifier using USB to connect to the PC. Five TAS3251 plus a STM32F446 microcontroller to handle USB and creating I2S streams. Should be able to control the TAS3251 DSP functions through USB. The TAS3251 is good for about 150W per channel at 4ohms.

Is there anything on the market that I should look at? I couldn't find anything that would let me stay digital all the way to the amp and even going analog it is pretty expensive.

Roughly speaking, the BOM for this should be < $300. It will require an external supply to provide the 12-36V amplifier power. I'll probably end up with a handful of extra PCBs, is a 10 channel USB amp something anyone else would be interested in?

http://www.ti.com/product/TAS3251

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As someone also working on a PC based car infotainment system, you have my interest.

I don't really have anything to add regarding your plan, but I was considering a similar idea involving a high end multichannel USB DAC feeding in to some standard car audio amps. The idea of being able to skip the external amps altogether has a lot of appeal.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having a real peculiar issue with my receiver and can't think of a better thread to post it.

The other day I couldn't get any sound out of my NVidia Shield. It's connected to my Onkyo receiver, as is everything else. It was definitely either the Shield or the receiver. I narrowed the issue down to... something to do with 'fixed volume'/IR/CEC settings, and I fiddled with those things and ended up getting it working, but honestly not sure how. Thing is, now audio from my PS4 (and presumably other sources too) is choppy and staticy - I can make out the PS4 menu music but it's chopped by consistent 1/2-second bursts of static and sounds bitcrushed. What is going on here? Is there a way to hard reset my receiver to fix this?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm having a real peculiar issue with my receiver and can't think of a better thread to post it.

The other day I couldn't get any sound out of my NVidia Shield. It's connected to my Onkyo receiver, as is everything else. It was definitely either the Shield or the receiver. I narrowed the issue down to... something to do with 'fixed volume'/IR/CEC settings, and I fiddled with those things and ended up getting it working, but honestly not sure how. Thing is, now audio from my PS4 (and presumably other sources too) is choppy and staticy - I can make out the PS4 menu music but it's chopped by consistent 1/2-second bursts of static and sounds bitcrushed. What is going on here? Is there a way to hard reset my receiver to fix this?

Hold the power button for anywhere from 5-30 seconds, you should hear some heavy clicking and thunking as it resets.

Also, pull the power plugs for your TV, the receiver and the Shield and plug them back in again.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I think I am probably missing the thread for this, but I’m stuck at home for the foreseeable future and wanted to take the time to learn piano, which I haven’t touched since I was way younger. Is there a recommendation for the cheapest keyboard I could get which would reasonably be enough for me to start learning? (Or a better thread I should be in!)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tildes posted:

I think I am probably missing the thread for this, but I’m stuck at home for the foreseeable future and wanted to take the time to learn piano, which I haven’t touched since I was way younger. Is there a recommendation for the cheapest keyboard I could get which would reasonably be enough for me to start learning? (Or a better thread I should be in!)

Get an accordion

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tildes posted:

BigFactory posted:

Get an accordion

That's the right answer but if you decide you want to continue down the wrong path then go HERE I guess

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

shortspecialbus posted:

That's the right answer but if you decide you want to continue down the wrong path then go HERE I guess

Ty ty

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

evobatman posted:

Hold the power button for anywhere from 5-30 seconds, you should hear some heavy clicking and thunking as it resets.

Also, pull the power plugs for your TV, the receiver and the Shield and plug them back in again.

Thanks, this worked. I wasn't actually sure if the receiver was resetting as it didn't click and thunk as much as you said - just once or twice. But everything seems to be working so far. I was browsing some Denon receivers, and speakers that I probably couldn't afford late last night, but it's a relief to know that I probably won't need to do any of that yet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's doing it again. :( Worked fine last night after I tried pulling all the AC cables and holding the power button on the Onkyo receiver, but it's back in full force. Does this mean the receiver is dying?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I have a kind of convoluted audio set up right now. So I have a pair of logitech Z200 speakers and I'm wondering if it's possible to create a set up for different devices to use it at once; right now I have a set up where I've plugged in the bluetooth receiver for my headphones into the aux jack so that I only have to turn my headphones to automatically switch the audio there and vice versa. However, I also have my switch hooked up to my monitor and to play audio, I have to unplug my headphones jack and plug in the one connected to my Switch. I was also planning on hooking my PS4 to my monitor and I'd realized I'd have to figure out the audio set up for that too, and I'm wondering if there's just some way I can just hook it up and have it play everything simultaneously, so I don't have to unplug/replug everything.

I have a friend who has the logitech Z323 and she's able to play both her PC and switch at once, due to its set up. I don't know if I'd have to get a different pair of speakers or if there's some sort of splitter/switcher that could make things a lot simpler for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Splash Attack posted:

I have a kind of convoluted audio set up right now. So I have a pair of logitech Z200 speakers and I'm wondering if it's possible to create a set up for different devices to use it at once; right now I have a set up where I've plugged in the bluetooth receiver for my headphones into the aux jack so that I only have to turn my headphones to automatically switch the audio there and vice versa. However, I also have my switch hooked up to my monitor and to play audio, I have to unplug my headphones jack and plug in the one connected to my Switch. I was also planning on hooking my PS4 to my monitor and I'd realized I'd have to figure out the audio set up for that too, and I'm wondering if there's just some way I can just hook it up and have it play everything simultaneously, so I don't have to unplug/replug everything.

I have a friend who has the logitech Z323 and she's able to play both her PC and switch at once, due to its set up. I don't know if I'd have to get a different pair of speakers or if there's some sort of splitter/switcher that could make things a lot simpler for me.
An audio mixer of some sort? Basically takes a bunch of inputs and can output one together.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Would something like this work? I really don't need (and want) something fancy, like some of the more expensive ones I see and I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Plus I'd prefer something smaller as I don't have that much space.

I really don't know much about audio stuff, so I just have only have a vague idea of how it would work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Splash Attack posted:

Would something like this work? I really don't need (and want) something fancy, like some of the more expensive ones I see and I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Plus I'd prefer something smaller as I don't have that much space.

I really don't know much about audio stuff, so I just have only have a vague idea of how it would work.
I think so, although note that it looks like it uses quarter inch plugs so you'd need adapters for the usual 1/8" ones in most electronics. Most of them seem to use quarter inch (and/or RCA) so keep that in mind when looking around.

If you don't want to deal with adapters, these are the few (and not too expensive) minijack ones I've found:

https://www.amazon.com/Maker-hart-Just-Mixer-Portable/dp/B0824Q3WY8/

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Channel-Audio-Passive-Recording/dp/B07Y2RYHFF/

Alternatively if you have your computer nearby you could use that like your friend's setup maybe? Like you run the stuff into the computer and pass through the audio through the computer to the speakers. Essentially the computer becomes the mixer, just need the inputs, and set the computer to pass the audio through.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splash Attack posted:

That's a mono mixer, so you'd have to use two channels on it per stereo signal, and adjust left and right volume independently.

A stereo mixer would be more convenient.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a mono mixer, so you'd have to use two channels on it per stereo signal, and adjust left and right volume independently.

A stereo mixer would be more convenient.

You sure? The description literally says this:

quote:

STEREO CHANNEL

The audio mixer 4 channel has four 1/4 TRS inputs along with an 1/4 TRS output, the channels are stereo not mono.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah it looks like it should work, although factor in the price of cables/adapters for those 1/4" jacks for that one, should be cheap enough in any case. And do you just max out the sources and volume control from your Bluetooth headphones? Just checking cause one of the reviews complains that they needed to add a separate volume out control cause it doesn’t have one itself.

Although that made me think of something else, are you hooking up the consoles to the monitor with HDMI? It might have an audio out jack itself, then you could just use that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I need to get an amp or volume controlled speakers, I bought a FX Audio Dac-X6 but the thing's volume output is fixed so when I connected by two speakers to it they were nearly silent. Any recommendations on a budget? I was looking at the SMSL SA-36A Pro

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

I need to get an amp or volume controlled speakers, I bought a FX Audio Dac-X6 but the thing's volume output is fixed so when I connected by two speakers to it they were nearly silent. Any recommendations on a budget? I was looking at the SMSL SA-36A Pro

The front output on the DAC-X6 should be controlled by the volume knob. The rear one is line level.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

You sure? The description literally says this:

I stand corrected. You just have to be wary, since a lot of those small mixers are mono, use with microphones etc.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Honest Thief posted:

What kind of speakers?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

What kind of speakers?

the ones I got? they're from an old Sanyo stereo
they look similar to these

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Working from home leaves me lots of time to enjoy the JBL305s I bought a while back, but I don't have anything wide enough to put them on that my monitors wouldn't be in the way.

Is there anything I should consider before setting them up behind me? Would that just be weird?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Honest Thief posted:

the ones I got? they're from an old Sanyo stereo
they look similar to these

If you were really just missing a volume control, a passive one could have been a neat solution, but you are actually missing the whole amplifier stage with those passive speakers, so you are right to look at amplifiers or active speakers. That's what I was trying to figure out.

ItBreathes posted:

Working from home leaves me lots of time to enjoy the JBL305s I bought a while back, but I don't have anything wide enough to put them on that my monitors wouldn't be in the way.

Is there anything I should consider before setting them up behind me? Would that just be weird?
If that's the neatest solution, I'd certainly consider it. It doesn't take long to get used to it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you were really just missing a volume control, a passive one could have been a neat solution, but you are actually missing the whole amplifier stage with those passive speakers, so you are right to look at amplifiers or active speakers. That's what I was trying to figure out.
If that's the neatest solution, I'd certainly consider it. It doesn't take long to get used to it.

the DAC-X6 supposedly is an amp combo but shortspecialbus said the back output is at line level and the front one is just a headphone jack so im screwed

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 23, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The DAC-X6 is a headphone amp, not a speaker amp. What's your budget?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

The DAC-X6 is a headphone amp, not a speaker amp. What's your budget?

well that sucks. Basically the scenario I'm at is my tv speakers died, so i installed an old 2.1 pc speakers on them, but those are already finicky as it is, so i need a plan b.
i was planning to keep it at most 100€

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 23, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

well that sucks. Basically the scenario I'm at is my tv speakers died, so i installed an old 2.1 pc speakers on them, but those are already finicky as it is, so i need a plan b.
i was planning to keep it at most 100€

Yeah sorry, while it does have a volume control there definitely isn't an amplifier involved, that's just for headphones. I slightly misunderstood your problem.

Honestly in your position I would probably recommend a soundbar for TV speaker replacement - my go-to recommendation is always a Vizio 2 channel soundbar with a wireless sub.

If you don't want to go that route and are looking for an amp that will work with those speakers, I have no specific suggestions, sorry.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah sorry, while it does have a volume control there definitely isn't an amplifier involved, that's just for headphones. I slightly misunderstood your problem.

Honestly in your position I would probably recommend a soundbar for TV speaker replacement - my go-to recommendation is always a Vizio 2 channel soundbar with a wireless sub.

If you don't want to go that route and are looking for an amp that will work with those speakers, I have no specific suggestions, sorry.

np, i didn't even knew you could have headphones amps lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Soundbar or a cheap pair of powered monitors (but a soundbar would probably be a better fit).

If you really want to use those speakers (but you shouldn't), I have this powering a set of Klipsch speakers and it's fine:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-200w-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-black/4156007.p?skuId=4156007

You used Euros though, so I don't know if you can get that there. If I knew what country you were in, I could maybe give some recommendations.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 23, 2020

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

You used Euros though, so I don't know if you can get that there. If I knew what country you were in, I could maybe give some recommendations.

Portugal, I'm already expecting a lot of recommendations being products I got to order through amazon since local availability is low

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Topping MX3 is a nice mini 2 channel amp/pseudo-receiver for $100-120. It’s about the size of 4 decks of cards, comes with a remote, takes USB, SPDIF and analog in, and drives a pair of bookshelf speakers plenty loud.

I’d do that before something like that gigantic Best Buy thing.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I like Dayton stuff, but seeing how you are in another country and trying to go cheap the crummy looking little amps on Amazon are mostly sufficient as well.

https://www.daytonaudio.com/category/198/finished-amplifiers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W46QV5J/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_NEqEEbV2A0HEV

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, can you return the DAC? Cause the MX3 is basically what you thought you were getting.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
can't return it, bought it used
maybe I'll go with the mx3 or with that cheaper alternative linked above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alternatively, here's a cheap soundbar:

https://www.amazon.es/LG-SJ2-Channels-Inal%C3%A1mbrico-al%C3%A1mbrico/dp/B0719J5BDB

They're all pretty much interchangeable at that price point.

Edit: I'm curious. How exactly were you hooking those speakers up to that headphone amp?