Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The two big ones, Blockbuster Video and Hollywood Video, would just have the tapes in the cases on the shelves, but any not-a-chain rental place in like an actual city and not a suburb or whatever I was ever in had them behind the counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheBizzness posted:

Having legit horror credentials and intentionally watching absolute rubbish every once in awhile kind of go hand in hand.

Once in a while?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Then it was just a chance on whether the clerk checked the case.

More like a maybe if it was a manager ringing you up, otherwise pretty much no one ever checked.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The pro move would be to switch Jack Frost (1997) with Jack Frost (1998)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheBizzness posted:

Having legit horror credentials and intentionally watching absolute rubbish every once in awhile kind of go hand in hand.

But I watch almost solely absolute rubbish???

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But doctor, I am rubbish!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

That happened enough on accident even with highlighting the genre tag and writing it on the amaray insert.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

This is the scariest Jack Frost imo: https://youtu.be/cZu-B_R5Ues

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Don't even speak to me if you didn't grow up watching a copy of Return of the Living Dead that had scan lines and video artifacting over the graveyard dance scene

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thanks for the Hellraiser tips, everyone! It seems to be very divisive but I'm gonna try and track down a copy of Bloodline at least, and report back.

This will probably only be funny to Canadians but I love how it nails the A24 trailer beats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gaY4onyIJg

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
It sure would be nice if a director who wasn't absolute dogshit would collab with the Art the Clown actor. That poor fucker clearly loves horror and loves the character but man oh man is he stuck in some awful poo poo.

Like there are these flashes of awesome: The TV scene at the end of All Hallows Eve and the entire pizzaeria scene from Terrifier but everything else is loving abysmal.

OpenSourceBurger fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 10, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

Don't even speak to me if you didn't grow up watching a copy of Return of the Living Dead that had scan lines and video artifacting over the graveyard dance scene

"Hey, somebody get some light over here, Trash is taking off her clothes again!"

Human culture peaked in 85' and has been in a slow decline ever since.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Made for a confusing interpretation of female anatomy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AKZ posted:

Made for a confusing interpretation of female anatomy.

If you could see the weird patch on her the VHS wasn’t properly seasoned enough imo

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

just watched mandy. had to go and look up one of those 'ending explained' videos on youtube.

I still don't get it and maybe it's just better that way.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

upgunned shitpost posted:

just watched mandy. had to go and look up one of those 'ending explained' videos on youtube.

I still don't get it and maybe it's just better that way.

I really wish I GOT Mandy as much as everyone here seems to. Like....I enjoyed portions of it, but so much of it felt just...okay?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are some interesting implications to certain plot related things in Mandy but you don't really need to "solve the puzzle" or whatever to enjoy it. But Cosmatos' style isn't going to be for everybody.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The legitness of your horror credentials to rubbish watched is a nearly one to one ratio.

This guy won’t even watch Friday the 13th.

And only one of the entire series is really bad. I’m not saying which one though.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Watching Mandy sober is an alien, inconceivable idea to me.

Perhaps that's the problem.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my trash/shlock/gore to "traditional" horror movie ratio is like 420:1

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I wish I wash hosed up when I watched Beyond the Black Rainbow cause visually it’s great but the movie itself not so much.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Kvlt! posted:

That’s why you the trillest.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

I just wanna see as much grime and gore as I can

I want to feel like I need a shower after I watch a movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheBizzness posted:

I wish I wash hosed up when I watched Beyond the Black Rainbow cause visually it’s great but the movie itself not so much.

Mandy kinda unlocked Beyond the Black Rainbow for me. Because I did see it years ago and it just felt completely opaque but then I went back to it after Mandy and I was able to follow it a lot more easily. I think Mandy kinda gave me a basic Cosmatos primer that ended up being useful in deciphering BtBR.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Basebf555 posted:

Mandy kinda unlocked Beyond the Black Rainbow for me. Because I did see it years ago and it just felt completely opaque but then I went back to it after Mandy and I was able to follow it a lot more easily. I think Mandy kinda gave me a basic Cosmatos primer that ended up being useful in deciphering BtBR.

It seemed like the perfect movie to have on at a party because there is always something visually incredibly happening but I was pretty drat bored somehow.

and I love Mandy like one of my children.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I loved Mandy until the sleeping bag scene, then I just kind of liked it. It seemed like it switched genre after that moment.

And never watch explanation videos! Letting the mystery fester in your psyche is half the fun

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I loved Mandy until the sleeping bag scene, then I just kind of liked it. It seemed like it switched genre after that moment.

And never watch explanation videos! Letting the mystery fester in your psyche is half the fun

im with ya there i will never understand why people watch those like the entire point is to think about it yourself!!!!!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I really wish I GOT Mandy as much as everyone here seems to. Like....I enjoyed portions of it, but so much of it felt just...okay?

anyone who says they 'got it' is definitely lying to you.

it'd be like 'getting a tsunami', you just get swept away.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

im with ya there i will never understand why people watch those like the entire point is to think about it yourself!!!!!

[spoiler] GREASY STRANGLER ending EXPLAINED - symbolism (45:13)

Hey what's up guys, back at you with another movie explanation video - this time let's dive right in. As you know, 11 and 13 are prime numbers, and Big Ronnie's phallus is exactly 11.13 inches long. We can easily understand this to mean th-

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I had the same reaction with Hellraiser 3. I was so angry that it was just an insipid colour by numbers slasher, that I probably didn't give it a fair chance. Not that I'm in a hurry to rewatch it

I'm not sure that's how I would describe it; a demonic invasion was at least a cool idea (shame there was zero budget for it) and don't forget that somebody spent several pain-staking minutes (perhaps upwards of 2!) coming up with this legend:

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I'll take those videos 100 times out of 100 over those Everything Wrong With videos which are just a dork not understanding movies and complaining about non existant plotholes.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that found flix dude is a giant nerd who's really into trash movies

hating on someone like that makes you a legit poo poo person.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
With Mandy most of the theorizing centers around what appears to be a framing device of Mandy herself telling the story, and also the super-LSD that may or may not allow people to see into other worlds or other planes of existence.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The only one if those videos I watched was one that explained a bunch of the Korean folklore that was in The Wailing. It was helpful in that one specific case.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

david_a posted:

I'm not sure that's how I would describe it; a demonic invasion was at least a cool idea (shame there was zero budget for it) and don't forget that somebody spent several pain-staking minutes (perhaps upwards of 2!) coming up with this legend:

Compact Disc Face will always be a timely Cenobite, because physical media will never die!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey everyone, if you want a copy of Tammy and the T-Rex I am giving away a copy, all you have to do is be willing to share a time a movie touched your heart in someway!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916830

Bonus points for Paul Walker related movie stories.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite thing about Mandy is it switches movies every 30 minutes, and every one of those movies would rule.

I would watch a romance film about Mandy and her love for fantasy. I’d watch a crazy LSD cult movie. I’d watch abduction horror movie. I’d watch a revenge movie.

They’re all awesome imo.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

david_a posted:

I figured that the demon invasion angle was a product of the lack of budget. We don't have money for sets, so here's some studio backlot. We don't have money for all of the original cenobite cast, so just slap a CD onto some idiot's head.

Drunkboxer posted:

The only one if those videos I watched was one that explained a bunch of the Korean folklore that was in The Wailing. It was helpful in that one specific case.

I did watch the 4 hour Twin Peaks explanation video, and I thought it was pretty good. Though honestly the only explanation of Lynch's work you'll ever need is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5b7uvjaddk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Mandy is whatever you want it to be.

One of the interesting parts is that there are a few spots with miniatures as the foreground like the TV for the Cheddar Goblin sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
You are doing yourself a massive disservice by hearing other people's interpretation of Lynch's work.