Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey here's an actual dash cam video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h63VDCVYZC8

The camera makes it look like the intersection was further away than it was. He pulled out right in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BULLETKISS posted:

Has anyone bought their cam from elsewhere and had Best Buy install it? I'm not mechanically inclined and really don't want to install a dashcam myself, but I don't know where else to take my car.

I'm in Las Vegas and there's some not very user friendly websites that say to order a certain $$$ cam off Amazon and then they install it, but I just want to see demos of different cams, pick a decent one and have it installed. I found a model that looked good, emailed the link to a local place about installing it and they gave me that "Well..I guess so, but it's not as good as this $400 one we recommend".

I figured giving money to someone for a service would be easier than this. /rant.

You do not need to be mechanically inclined to install a dash cam, unless you are hard wiring it.
It's pretty much
Stick the camera to the windshield
Run the wires up to the head liner right next to the rear view mirror (assuming you're mounting it high), then tuck the wires behind the trim of the head liner, into the A pillar trim, then just routing it to the nearest cigarette lighter/usb port you can find.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

You do not need to be mechanically inclined to install a dash cam, unless you are hard wiring it.
It's pretty much
Stick the camera to the windshield
Run the wires up to the head liner right next to the rear view mirror (assuming you're mounting it high), then tuck the wires behind the trim of the head liner, into the A pillar trim, then just routing it to the nearest cigarette lighter/usb port you can find.

Yeah you really don't need to pay somebody to do this, especially not best buy who would find a way to do it wrong and/or break poo poo in the process.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are plenty of YouTube videos that show you how to hide the dash cam wire. Otherwise it plugs in like your window mounted GPS or something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, had I known how much of a headache USB ports were going to be I would have sprung for the professional installation. When my youngest gets a car I'll pay someone to wire cameras all over that vehicle. My oldest was rear ended last year and it was the newbie cop's first accident report. He didn't find fault with either party which created an insurance headache that a dash cam would have avoided.

Still, it's not tough to wire it semi-professionally by yourself. Get a plastic spudger and push a 10 foot long power cable inside the headliner edges and down the door frame. I'd look at an OBD2 power connector before I use USB. That's made my life a whole lot easier.

Also if it's Vegas make sure your dash cam doesn't have a lithium-ion battery.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What headache did you encounter with USB ports?

There are many places to plug something in the car. OBD2 port, fuse box, an actual USB or cigarette lighter, shouldn't be an issue for anyone. The only thing different from car to car is where you hide the wire. And some people just let it dangle, especially if they swap that camera from vehicle to vehicle or just don't leave it plugged in overnight in a bad neighborhood.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'd like to inform everyone, that if you are in the bind and need to have a camera in the window even if temporarily, you can use your smartphone. Search your neighborhood app store for "dash cam app". They allow you to record on your phone's rear, or dual cameras while the screen is off. All you need to do is mount it and have it plugged in. The app I used, ask me how much space I wish to allocate to this video footage, and I chose about 2 hours worth. Great for a rental car use.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

What headache did you encounter with USB ports?

My dash cam would occasionally stop charging via USB. Like it turns on and lights flash and then it cuts off. Then a week later it’s working fine until it happens again 6 months later. I got a voltage meter and checked all the USB ports and every one was putting out the right amount of juice. If I brought the dash cam inside and plugged it in everything worked fine. :shrug:

But mainly it’s just a mess of wires. I even had a right angle USB connector so the cable stayed flush along the dash and it still got in the way. Now I don’t see any cables.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nitrox posted:

I'd like to inform everyone, that if you are in the bind and need to have a camera in the window even if temporarily, you can use your smartphone. Search your neighborhood app store for "dash cam app". They allow you to record on your phone's rear, or dual cameras while the screen is off. All you need to do is mount it and have it plugged in. The app I used, ask me how much space I wish to allocate to this video footage, and I chose about 2 hours worth. Great for a rental car use.

This is good info, thanks!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Yeah you really don't need to pay somebody to do this, especially not best buy who would find a way to do it wrong and/or break poo poo in the process.

They'll manage to find a way to cut and splice your radio harness.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

My dash cam would occasionally stop charging via USB. Like it turns on and lights flash and then it cuts off. Then a week later it’s working fine until it happens again 6 months later. I got a voltage meter and checked all the USB ports and every one was putting out the right amount of juice. If I brought the dash cam inside and plugged it in everything worked fine. :shrug:

But mainly it’s just a mess of wires. I even had a right angle USB connector so the cable stayed flush along the dash and it still got in the way. Now I don’t see any cables.

Dashcams (and associated hardware) are all cheaply made, poo poo breaks on them. If it's flaky, it's either a defective camera or a defective USB power supply (or possibly both, or the cable). There's no inherent "pain" to it beyond just plain defective poo poo.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Takes No Damage posted:

AC trickery is annoying, but my main concern would be something like waiting to make an unprotected left turn and having the delay to get rolling cause issues if you're trying to make a tight gap. Sure in a perfect world you wouldn't ever have to cut it that close, but I think some roads and intersections were designed with active malice...

having driven a car with this lately - 2020 Ecosport (ps don't get one, but rentals be rentals) - there is no situation in the world in which this would make the difference from a safe turn. If the gap is that tight such that a fraction of a second for the engine to come back up would make the difference, it's not safe for you to make it in any car.

as everyone else pointed out these things restart as soon as you release the brake so while your foot travels the three inches to the gas pedal it's on and ready to respond again. There is, effectively, no delay.

seriously, drive one. It took me three stoplights to go from "wtf is my car doing" (I didn't know it had this feature in advance) to "oh, this is literally a nonissue."

now the ecosport had plenty of other issues, sure, but not this ... :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 4, 2020

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzDmjG3bpI

Yes, I knew there was no one next to me. What a moron, I'm not really sure what they were expecting, drunk maybe?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's always a phone.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sleepy.eyes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzDmjG3bpI

Yes, I knew there was no one next to me. What a moron, I'm not really sure what they were expecting, drunk maybe?

Jeez just watching this makes me mad

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wolrah posted:

IIRC you're thinking of the 4.2L V8, which for whatever fucktarded reason has the timing chains on the back instead of the front, meaning that servicing them is an engine-out job, and of course in true German fashion they used plastic that disintegrates over time for the chain guides.

Ford did this when they converted the old 4.0 V6 to OHC. Except they used a jackshaft, so you had one timing chain on the front, and one on the rear. Guess which one usually needed attention first?

Nissan used plastic guides on the KA24 too - they were a mild irritant in RWD configuration. The FWD version that got used in the Altima 93-01... it was an engine-out job, and the timing chain rattling is exactly why I got rid of that car. It was usually the top guide, but a TSB had that just removed entirely if a customer complained, and mine had that TSB completed. Mine was definitely rattling from a lower guide and/or bad tensioner and/or stretched chain. It ran like a raped ape (99 with a 5 speed from an 01, 00-01 got a slightly shorter final drive), but it rattled bad for the first ~5 seconds on a cold start. It had enough other issues that I opted to let Carmax just send it to auction.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Honestly, had I known how much of a headache USB ports were going to be I would have sprung for the professional installation.

Also if it's Vegas make sure your dash cam doesn't have a lithium-ion battery.

I agree on the battery versions (in any southern state), but how are USB ports a headache? Particularly if you have an aftermarket stereo - most of them have USB ports. My dashcam is powered off of one of the USB ports on the back of my stereo (Kenwood). Running the wire was kind of a pain, but luckily I was already pulling the cluster to replace some bulbs in it when I threw the stereo and dashcam in (would have been a major PITA otherwise). No side impact airbags or anything, so it was a cakewalk to run it down the pillar and behind the cluster in my case.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

STR posted:

Ford did this when they converted the old 4.0 V6 to OHC. Except they used a jackshaft, so you had one timing chain on the front, and one on the rear. Guess which one usually needed attention first?
As screwy as that design was, it at least somewhat made sense given the goals and constraints of adding OHC to an ancient pushrod design for cheap. Audi didn't have that excuse.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The weird Ford thing also let them use one molding for the heads.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

I just dumped off the contents of my dashcam. Here are a few favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3jBNJo7Cvo -- and you wonder how cars with collision damage get that way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXoP56CeNIs -- a used X3 (still with the temp plates!) lives up to its reputation of a used luxury SUV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wndv4VYt6XA -- fucknut rolls a stop sign and nearly causes a T-bone accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctj63XeBVsc -- and finally, a Chinese fire drill for the ages

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Finally got my rear end in gear and ordered the A129 4k Duo with all the hardwire kit crap needed. $300, but I guess it'll pay for itself if it catches any hit n run damage or idiots crashing into me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BULLETKISS posted:

Has anyone bought their cam from elsewhere and had Best Buy install it? I'm not mechanically inclined and really don't want to install a dashcam myself, but I don't know where else to take my car.

I'm in Las Vegas and there's some not very user friendly websites that say to order a certain $$$ cam off Amazon and then they install it, but I just want to see demos of different cams, pick a decent one and have it installed. I found a model that looked good, emailed the link to a local place about installing it and they gave me that "Well..I guess so, but it's not as good as this $400 one we recommend".

I figured giving money to someone for a service would be easier than this. /rant.

Edit: A bit late, but if you really don't want to do the work yourself:

Find the shop that's in the working class neighborhood without a website, walk in, and talk to the people there.

For example, these guys in Durham did a bunch of work with my old stack of parts moved into my Civic for $reasonable

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 9, 2020

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Late to the game, but I had Best Buy hardwire both my V1 radar detector (clipped to the passenger visor) and my dashcam (mounted below the rear view mirror). The guy did it well, quickly, and for a reasonable fee (pretty sure it was time & materials). He didn’t break anything, either.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Go ahead and bust a U turn from your lane. I'll wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWNMEfplvA

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

opengl128 posted:

Go ahead and bust a U turn from your lane. I'll wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWNMEfplvA

Well he did signal so clearly you're in the wrong.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Diving around someone still moving into the oncoming lanes seems like a bad idea

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very unnecessary crash if it were to happen, and I suspect that an insurance company would assign some blame to you for being aggressive.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I fully recognize I could have backed off some, but she was already slowing for seemingly no reason and it opens up to two lanes there, so yes I was getting ready to pass when she did that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just put in a support ticket with StreetGuardian - my camera is out of focus for distant stuff, only seems to focus on the hood. Also the picture is dim and has a bluish tint.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Just put in a support ticket with StreetGuardian - my camera is out of focus for distant stuff, only seems to focus on the hood. Also the picture is dim and has a bluish tint.

brand new camera?
did you peel the sticker off the lens?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

brand new camera?
did you peel the sticker off the lens?

I've had it since August, worked fine before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mine did that too (edit: just the focus part). They sent me a replacement. That replacement is now stuck on the boot logo though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is there a single company that doesn't put out trash? It seems like everything that gets named in this thread ends up being effectively disposable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard good things about Blackvue. They can range from $100 to $300 though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I have a dual-camera Blackvue I'm happy with.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Blackvue and Thinkware are probably the ones to go for to get the best quality and support. VIOFO are supposed to be a step down. I just couldn't stomach the Thinkware prices for what I wanted, so I'm hoping the VIOFO will last. I don't live in a climate with extreme temperatures, which should help.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

Is there a single company that doesn't put out trash? It seems like everything that gets named in this thread ends up being effectively disposable.

The Street Guardians are generally good and customer support is good, generally far above the rest, but nobody has had truly outstanding ones as far as I can tell.

I'm wondering how the Viofos will hold up? Haven't checked into dashcamtalk in a long time.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Yi make pretty good gopro knock-off action cams and their dashcams get similar high reviews.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
My first camera was a RoadHawk and it lasted a little over five years which I guess is good?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

Blackvue and Thinkware are probably the ones to go for to get the best quality and support. VIOFO are supposed to be a step down. I just couldn't stomach the Thinkware prices for what I wanted, so I'm hoping the VIOFO will last. I don't live in a climate with extreme temperatures, which should help.

My VIOFO A119 just passed it's second birthday being used in South Florida and is still recording the aberrant behavior of snowbird drivers like a champ. I occasionally forget to take it down when parked in direct sunlight and I can't remember it ever performing a heat-related auto shutdown - unlike my G1W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

ausgezeichnet posted:

My VIOFO A119 just passed it's second birthday being used in South Florida and is still recording the aberrant behavior of snowbird drivers like a champ. I occasionally forget to take it down when parked in direct sunlight and I can't remember it ever performing a heat-related auto shutdown - unlike my G1W.

Good to hear! Looking forward to when it's installed and working.