Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hell yeah, got the DJ and the florist signed up, so once we nail down food we've got all the big vendors done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Southern India. So it's supposedly all the greatest hits of Christian, Muslim, and Hindu weddings.

https://youtu.be/1b4F4o7pPog this but waaaaaay smaller please, thank you.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Oh hi I forgot this thread exists. I've been engaged since September, wedding is going to be next October.

Here's a picture of my ring next to a 5ct diamond that I got to play with at work (I'm a merch coordinator for an internet diamond/jewelry store). The ring is from the 50s and used to belong to my FMIL, and her godparents before her. The stone is a 3/4 ct pink sapphire that I picked out and had reset in it.

What we have so far: venue, photographer/engagement photoss, save the date designs (still waiting for addresses so I can print and send them), the beginnings of a website (I bought a .horse domain for it which is the best $50 I've ever spent), wedding party and officiant (a friend is doing it). I also have a dress appointment at the end of the month.

What we don't have: everything else??? oh god.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its going to be ok. Remember that you are paying people who know lots more than you do about their specific subject to handle poo poo for you. My florist for example was great, I liked every pic he showed me and I said, "great, here's my budget, here are the wedding colors, and here's the poo poo we need. Get it sorted" and he blew my mind with how great he did. Don't stress about the specifics if you don't have to. Its a giant party and you should treat it as such. We didn't get our website totally sorted until after the invites went out. ITS GOING TO BE OK

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Apparently, the future MIL, FIL, SIL, and AIL are tag-teaming a wedding coordination effort on the India side. So I am pretty sure I'm just going to be kidnapped for a few days and come out at the end introduced to the whole clan. Neat?

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Apparently, the future MIL, FIL, SIL, and AIL are tag-teaming a wedding coordination effort on the India side. So I am pretty sure I'm just going to be kidnapped for a few days and come out at the end introduced to the whole clan. Neat?

That sounds mostly fantastic. As long as you’re one of those people who can let go and let someone plan it. I’d totally be down with that

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CeramicPig posted:

That sounds mostly fantastic. As long as you’re one of those people who can let go and let someone plan it. I’d totally be down with that

I will be on everrrry anti-anxiety drug I can get my hands on anyway, might as well go with the floooooow.

They also know I'm a nervous sensitive peice of trash so hopefully they'll minimize the noise and loudness.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I officially have a wedding dress! I went to BHLDN yesterday morning and ended up walking out with an online order for this fella. It wasn't at all what I was expecting to like, but I could not stop smiling while I was wearing it, and you can't say no to a $550 dress. Now on to accessories and shoes (and a strapless bra I guess)!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lmao our caterer continues to show us no respect and has even tried to bully our wedding planner.

Love that vendor lock-in at our venue!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Lmao our caterer continues to show us no respect and has even tried to bully our wedding planner.

Love that vendor lock-in at our venue!

gently caress that poo poo. What are they trying to pull?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

19 o'clock posted:

gently caress that poo poo. What are they trying to pull?

'noone will like your wedding if you don't have appetizers during cocktail hour, is that really how you want your BIG DAY to go?' in addition to just treating us as suspicious for, uh, having a budget, and repeatedly getting our wedding planners name wrong. Not sure what else she's tried to pull with the planner, but we'll catch up soon

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Killingyouguy! posted:

'noone will like your wedding if you don't have appetizers during cocktail hour, is that really how you want your BIG DAY to go?' in addition to just treating us as suspicious for, uh, having a budget, and repeatedly getting our wedding planners name wrong. Not sure what else she's tried to pull with the planner, but we'll catch up soon

"Your input is appreciated however that won't be necessary. <Planner> has full control over the event and please work with them from here on out. They are your boss."

Yeah, that sucks. I hate nickel and dime nonsense. My packages are all-inclusive because: 1) I hate the idea of upselling and using lovely tactics like that person is and 2) I don't want to be representing myself poorly because I insisted on upselling for dancefloor lighting and the client couldn't afford it. So dumb.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
if they bring appetizers make sure they dont get paid for them unless you have it in your contract that they're serving appetizers and you okayed it and asked for it explicitly

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Thumbtacks posted:

if they bring appetizers make sure they dont get paid for them unless you have it in your contract that they're serving appetizers and you okayed it and asked for it explicitly

Totally. Hopefully your planner is pretty type A and can get them in line. Bunch of added stress, otherwise.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Luckily the wedding planner is a friend of the family as well as a professional, we trust her to be a complete hardass 😅 and yeah I've worried about them just Bringing Apps Anyway, I'll keep doubles of the documentation

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Wedding is a week from tomorrow. Cant wait till it's over

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Beer is an appetizer

We're having cheese plates from Costco and samosas

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm gonna be the guy with the unpopular opinion here but I agree with the caterer. Part of getting more business is doing a good job at your wedding. Plus pride in doing a good job etc. Snacks during cocktail hour is, if your budget allows, not a terrible idea. They've catered probably a few weddings and are speaking from experience. You do you though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hadlock posted:

I'm gonna be the guy with the unpopular opinion here but I agree with the caterer. Part of getting more business is doing a good job at your wedding. Plus pride in doing a good job etc. Snacks during cocktail hour is, if your budget allows, not a terrible idea. They've catered probably a few weddings and are speaking from experience. You do you though.

I was not exaggerating on how the message was delivered though, I truly do not need guilt trips right now

edit: lmao the caterer also did not look at our planner's email signature listing her credentials at all and instead quite rudely drilled her on them over the phone

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 7, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You should have absolutely no contact with the caterer other than saying “gently caress you listen to our planner” and then let your planner deal with it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah I think that's the plan going forward. We struck out on our own at first but then said 'oh gently caress' and got the planner on board

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Hobby Lobby has a sale going on their wedding stuff. The boy and I went and picked up some things this afternoon and I got a couple of gifts for my maids and flower girls. Even bouquet stuff and decorative glasses are included so load up!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Had 10% of our guests cancel today due to the corona virus (wedding is Saturday). Hopefully not many/no more pull out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
speaking of, i wonder if it's cheaper to buy tickets for our honeymoon now even if it's in october

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thumbtacks posted:

speaking of, i wonder if it's cheaper to buy tickets for our honeymoon now even if it's in october
Round trip to Italy's gotten cheap as hell in July, I can tell you that. We're considering a honeymoon that we were expecting to put off for quite some time. If it doesn't end up true that the heat mitigates the worst of the virus, eh, we cancel.

...speaking of cancel the wedding's coming up and her grandparents just cancelled because they can't travel due to the virus :(

edit: wedding postponed cause let's face it, nobody's traveling anyway

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 16, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God I'm hoping the pandemic is over by June, or at least people are allowed to travel to my wedding. We can make hand sanitizer a wedding favour

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
About 15% of our guests have cancelled now. Hopefully no more by wedding time on saturday. Also wondering if some are just going to no show instead of telling us ahead of time.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

nesbit37 posted:

About 15% of our guests have cancelled now. Hopefully no more by wedding time on saturday. Also wondering if some are just going to no show instead of telling us ahead of time.

Oh, definitely. No call/no shows are common enough even under regular everyday life just got in the way scenarios.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Down by 25% now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

God I'm hoping the pandemic is over by June,

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but current predictions have this peaking in late May to mid June in the US. Not ending, peaking.

I would not take the fact that many government announcements expire at the end of March as a signal that this will be over soon

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah we're not making any calls one way or another quite yet but we're also not keeping our hopes very high

e: maybe canada will be more efficient at pandemic

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
We are also hoping it’s over by June but mentally getting prepared for a smaller/more local guest list. As long as our venue stays open....

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah i think our venue will be chill about a reschedule it's just the emotional anguish of telling everyone

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Wedding is over. So tired. About 50% cancelled in the end.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Well, we've made the call to postpone the wedding for a year. I'm surprised how little I feel about it right now

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I'm still in denial about having to cancel my wedding. Our wedding is on July 11th, so it feels too early to ask our vendors when they're getting bombarded by everyone else's postponing. Either way, I'm getting married by July 11th or sooner. We got engaged on July 11th of 2018 - I'm just ready to at least be married by now and have a party later if it comes down to it.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
We are scheduled for June 27 and still debating whether we try to stick with it, push back to the fall, or push back to next year.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DogoDogo posted:

We are scheduled for June 27 and still debating whether we try to stick with it, push back to the fall, or push back to next year.

Hey, that was our date too! Since we're inviting people from the states and it looks like this is the start of their trouble, we chose to push it back a whole year, maybe more, we're going to watch the situation.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

We're scheduled for August 29th and have people coming up from the states (We're in Canada). Our vendors are willing to postpone a year, so we're going to do that. We may get married with immediate family only this year and just have the party a year later, TBD as the whole COVID-19 thing evolves. A few of my best friends would be traveling internationally to attend, and it's just not possible to plan for right now.

Plus we'd much rather small ceremoy with limited attendees and a big party with everyone afterwards anyway, so COVID gives us an excuse to do what we want rather than do a big ceremony too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

We're still in the "we got engaged! Holy gently caress what do now??" stage of things -- we were pretty close to getting our poo poo together to plan for a late 2020 or early 2021 wedding, but now, ha ha ha, no loving idea. We'd probably just have eloped or gone to the courthouse by now were it not really important to my fiance's mom that she be at the ceremony. ("Go to the courthouse next time fiance's family is in town" is definitely on the table.)