Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Worried for my Dad who just started chemo, so not sure how disastrous it would be for him. So I'll air on the side of not accidentally killing him with something you can prevent by washing your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I would only worry if you have concerns about the HSEs capacity to handle 5% of the population being hospitalised within the space of a couple months.

Sad lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm worried about it messing with my work ( I pierce on commission mainly) and how I'm going to pay my slimebag land lady if I'm not allowed outside.

Washing my hands isn't something I'm super worried about. I worked in a kitchen for a while before I worked in the tattoo shop and between the pair of them I've HAD to be good about it. I'm only really discovering that isn't quite the same for a lot of people though... which is gross.

My other big concern is the amount of full on bullshit floating about over all of this. My boss got sent a chain whatsapp that she had a mild crisis of conscience over because she's a first responder and she didnt know how to tell a whole group of friends they were being stupid and nothing in the message could possibly have been accurate.
We had a customer in who claims the Isrealis are close to a cure after 2 years of work.
Everyone I know has suddenly decided to tell me all the dead dog in China stories they've just stored up in some bigot cabinet in their minds for years.

Anyway I was in work for about a half hour today before Radio 1 started hand wringing over the idea of funeral homes being overrun with corpses so I turned it off. I'd hit covid 19 discourse saturation by 10:20

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I’m just concerned by the fact there were cases in central bank and google. If it’s in the Docklands, given the amount of people who work there and the limited options for lunch that are always jammed packed with the workers from around. I kind of feel like it’s highly likely is spreading around the offices, of which I work in one.

My ma isn’t that long out of a major surgery and I’ve kids and a pregnant wife. I’m more concerned about being an accidental carrier to them than what it will do to me.

Have a few alcohol hand sanitizers I’ve been using fairly regularly but still, I’d worry.

Dunno why they haven’t let us work from home. Did that during the beast from the east and it didn’t interrupt getting stuff done. I have a feeling it may be due to ITs recent upgrade from windows 7. Remoting in through the VDI seems noticeably slower since Windows 10

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 11, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Google is working from home now, IFSC will follow.

No special need to worry about your pregnant wife more than usual. Odds are she doesn't smoke or vape at the moment so she's probably coming out ahead if she doesn't have COPD.

I'm more worried for people like my mother (COPD, lifelong smoker,70s), but she's had the good sense to disdain most human contact for years

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
There's a reported case at the Apple center in Cork so that's almost definitely gonna result in more cases. I work from home so that and my lack of social life will hopefully preserve me.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The two cases in trinity are the big catalyst imo, thousands move through there daily, nevermind work there. The most central location I could think of in Dublin. The only thing to be done is let it run its course, the no big gatherings thing lets it run its course at a more measured pace. But I think the misinformation and general scaremongering going around is very destructive to society. The media are happy to frighten and traumatize people just to be talking about the new big global worry.

I'll really want to see some good studies saying that all this disruption/shutdown was worthwhile in a years time otherwise it was the media making hay out of nothing as they have dozens of times in the past.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

There's a reported case at the Apple center in Cork.

poo poo. Know a lot of people from there, will see if I can find out more.

For the last decade our company has been going 'nonononono cant work from home, you have to come into the lovely aircon and fart marinated chairs'.
Email yesterday 'We are testing out a system to work from home'.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
General Hygiene folks.

Grab a pack of tissues and some hand sanitizer. If you feel sick the former is vital if you need to sneeze or cough into something.

Stay away from older friends and family and self isolate. If you need supplies, Tesco deliver (try not make the delivery man a vector though).

All in all, stay safe and I hope everyone is OK.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Southpaugh posted:

I'll really want to see some good studies saying that all this disruption/shutdown was worthwhile in a years time otherwise it was the media making hay out of nothing as they have dozens of times in the past.

The danger with that is, if all this work now saves us from a disaster, it is very hard to prove something like that. You have evidence to prove a positive, not a negative.

And people will then run with "see nothing happened" as a false equivalence. See how people equate all the work that was done to mitigate the damage from the Millennium Bug with "all that talk and nothing bad happened."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
More recently with storm.. uh... the one that was a minor hurricane, that most of the country stayed indoors for and thus kept the death toll to something like 4 across the whole country.

That said I'm not ready to lock myself away until I absolutely have to, I'm not secure enough to not go to work

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Southpaugh posted:

But I think the misinformation and general scaremongering going around is very destructive to society. The media are happy to frighten and traumatize people just to be talking about the new big global worry.

I completely agree with this. Coronavirus has had 4,368 deaths worldwide as of today, the "normal" flu kills 600,000 people a year. Coronavirus will have to kill two hundred times more people than it already has, in this calendar year alone, to be slightly more deadly than a normal flu season - which we completely ignore every year.

The last figures I saw from Italy a few days ago had the average age of death as 81 years old, the youngest person 66. Basically people who are high risk from any sickness in winter anyway. This isn't like the 1918 Spanish Flu, which was actually killing young healthy people in droves.

A public awareness campaign emphasizing hand washing, coughing into elbows, using disinfectant wipes etc to help reduce transmission is completely warranted. Thats low cost (in every sense) and high reward. Its something people should be doing anyway, to reduce the spread of all germs. But completely shutting down entire countries is fully down to the sensationalist 24 hour news media frenzy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though if you bear in mind the infection rate is exponential and the death rate will likely be too, you could well be on course to kill that many people, and that's on top of a normal flu season.

It's sort of like watching someone fall off a cliff, splat at the bottom, and then jumping off yourself, then within the first second going "well I'm not falling very fast, I think this sensationalism about ending up as a bloody pulp at the bottom is very irresponsible"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 11, 2020

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Though if you bear in mind the infection rate is exponential and the death rate will likely be too, you could well be on course to kill that many people, and that's on top of a normal flu season.

It's sort of like watching someone fall off a cliff, splat at the bottom, and then jumping off yourself, then within the first second going "well I'm not falling very fast, I think this sensationalism about ending up as a bloody pulp at the bottom is very irresponsible"

The death rate is only exponential if the disease keeps expanding infinitely. Which it isn't.

China, with a population of 1.386 billion people has stabilized at 20 deaths a day for over a week now. Thats almost a statistical rounding error in a population of their size.

If Ireland has a similar death rate that would give us 1/280th of that. So approximately 0.07 deaths a day, once things stabilize.

China's total deaths to date is 3,158. Which, per capita for Ireland, would be 11 deaths total. Basically a single bad car crash.

And again, for context, the 'normal' flu kills approx 100,000 people a year in China every year. So given the current death numbers, and their low growth rate, its extremely, extremely, unlikely Corona comes anywhere near this.

If someone near and dear to you suffers an early death it is always terrible. But lets be realistic here - whats likely to happen in an Irish context is we have 10-50 (at absolute max) people who are already in their 80s die. No difference from a normal bad flu season.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

In a normal flu season, the hospitals in northern Italy are able to handle things without a major crises. Currently, there are multiple hospitals in northern Italy that are so overwhelmed, they've completely given up on giving proper treatment to anyone older than 70. Hubei providence had multiple hospitals making similarly grim decisions before they shut down half the country. Governments are shutting down areas because they don't want to reach the point where hospitals have to tell people that they must cancel their chemotherapy treatment because there aren't any doctors that can see them.

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538

Only like 5% of cases need hospital care. But you do not want to be one of those cases and go to the hospital only to find out the only thing the hospital can spare for you is a "good luck."

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blut posted:

The death rate is only exponential if the disease keeps expanding infinitely. Which it isn't.

China, with a population of 1.386 billion people has stabilized at 20 deaths a day for over a week now. Thats almost a statistical rounding error in a population of their size.

If Ireland has a similar death rate that would give us 1/280th of that. So approximately 0.07 deaths a day, once things stabilize.

China's total deaths to date is 3,158. Which, per capita for Ireland, would be 11 deaths total. Basically a single bad car crash.

And again, for context, the 'normal' flu kills approx 100,000 people a year in China every year. So given the current death numbers, and their low growth rate, its extremely, extremely, unlikely Corona comes anywhere near this.

If someone near and dear to you suffers an early death it is always terrible. But lets be realistic here - whats likely to happen in an Irish context is we have 10-50 (at absolute max) people who are already in their 80s die. No difference from a normal bad flu season.

Have you looked at why that's happening in China? The specific efforts they're going to do ensure that happens? Because it doesn't do that by itself.

And unless you see other countries doing that, it's going to keep being exponential.

Specifically saying that "shutting down entire countries is sensationalist and wrong" and then pointing to china's effective control of the problem is extremely galaxy brain.

The context for their infection rates is thus:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 11, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's also worth noting that China hasn't been entirely honest about all this, and it's not impossible that they will be dishonest again.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Pointing to china is a strange one. They shutdown whole regions at the expense of their economy, something our government has so far refused to consider.

Denmark just announced a 2 week shutdown of schools, college and preschools, as well as having government workers work from home or take leave. They did this so their health system won't be overwhelmed. If they expect there's to be overwhelmed I shudder to think how ours will cope.

We shouldn't have let Italians come last weekend, we shouldn't have let people go Chelthenham, and we should have been considering closing schools and colleges before it got out of hand.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Looks like the Greens won't get into bed with the FF/FG love in. Will FF/FG try to woo SD and Indos and hope to make the numbers?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is it too late to revoke the passports of the morons who went to Cheltenham and make them stateless plague people?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just turn Cheltenham into a quarantine zone, the tents could house a good few people.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Leo about to make an announcement on RTE shortly.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there a government yet?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is there a government yet?

No so he's still caretaker Taoiseach. This is in relation to COVID-19, he's likely to announce schools closing and travel restrictions. He's in the US meeting Pence for Paddy's day at the moment.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Schools closed. Mass gatherings recommended to be cancelled. Go to work if you can but work from home if possible. Reduce/stagger break times. Shops/public transport to remain open/working. Restaurants/cafes can stay open but need to consider ways to reduce risks etc.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
At this point I'm a hairs breadth from packing a bag and bugging tf out of Germany

Quarantine me, whatever

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Mackers posted:

At this point I'm a hairs breadth from packing a bag and bugging tf out of Germany

Quarantine me, whatever

At least you'd get tested and know one way or the other.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

At least you'd get tested and know one way or the other.

Well I would hope so. Totally not up to date on what measures are in place at home but I'm fearing Germany is gonna go full lockdown like italy did and gently caress that

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mackers posted:

Quarantine me, whatever

*Looks at your gang tags*

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Shoehead posted:

*Looks at your gang tags*

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:sweatdrop:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Schools closed. Mass gatherings recommended to be cancelled. Go to work if you can but work from home if possible. Reduce/stagger break times. Shops/public transport to remain open/working. Restaurants/cafes can stay open but need to consider ways to reduce risks etc.
Have we got a source for this? Work are being shits.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Have we got a source for this? Work are being shits.

RTE? https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0312/1121769-coronavirus-tracker/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TY. This finally convinced them.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Have you looked at why that's happening in China? The specific efforts they're going to do ensure that happens? Because it doesn't do that by itself.

And unless you see other countries doing that, it's going to keep being exponential.

Specifically saying that "shutting down entire countries is sensationalist and wrong" and then pointing to china's effective control of the problem is extremely galaxy brain.

The context for their infection rates is thus:

Its unfortunately not possible to point to an example where China did nothing and daily deaths started going down anyway because the counterfactual doesn't exist, but other countries aren't intervening and are doing fine - Thailand for example had its first case on the 13th of January, the first case of Coronavirus outside of China. And as of now they have a grand total of 70 confirmed cases, from a population of 70million, despite no widescale domestic preventative measures being in place.

All signs show that the virus will burn itself out, the same way flu does, once it reaches a certain point. Death rates aren't going to grow exponentially until they consume the human race, as you seem to think. The draconian countermeasures only serve to flatten the death curve.

My point isn't that shutting down entire countries is sensationalist and wrong because nobody will die. Its that when 600,000+ people a year die from the normal flu, and absolutely nothing is done, then it makes no logical sense to shut down entire countries for this - when its very, very unlikely to kill anywhere near that number. The big factor driving the massive overreaction is media frenzy.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Ok, gently caress it flight booked.

If they don't automatically quarantine me I am going to outright demand it.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
After spending 2 hours in an enclosed space with a bunch of people

ah gently caress

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mackers posted:

Ok, gently caress it flight booked.

If they don't automatically quarantine me I am going to outright demand it.

Oh you weren't joking! Do you have family there or something?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Oh you weren't joking! Do you have family there or something?

Yeah I'm irish.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm in a tiny office, but we recently converted our server side stuff to to the cloud. Time to see what happens next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We’ve been allowed wfh if we really wanna and from tomorrow we’re told to. Big tech company

I’ve a date tonight lasts and trying to decide if I should go 😔