Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Geostomp posted:

Your boss being woman who forsook the tyranny of bras and buttoning shirts who rambles on at every opportunity while still being an effective detective was great. There was literally no subject she couldn’t find some way to turn into an opportunity for more long winded nonsense.

It's what I imagine working for Kojima is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Geostomp posted:

Your boss being woman who forsook the tyranny of bras and buttoning shirts who rambles on at every opportunity while still being an effective detective was great. There was literally no subject she couldn’t find some way to turn into an opportunity for more long winded nonsense.
Okay, now I'm thinking of a specific character in AI: The Somnium Files (which shares much of the same creative team as Zero Escape). I feel like there might be some shared inspirations here...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Holy poo poo they just outright said the protagonist has a poorly developed character this game rules.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't disagree. The best part of Tri is better than most of 02 and honestly genuinely really good, the issue is that the rest of Tri is aggresively terrible and the good parts are not enough to make up for it.

Both 02 and Tri are less than the sum of their parts, and honestly to me the fact that Tri's best is actually as good as it is makes the whole thing that much more dismal.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheHan posted:

Holy poo poo they just outright said the protagonist has a poorly developed character this game rules.

The translation on a whole is mixed, but it has its moments.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Tri doesn't have Arukenimon nor Mummymon so it's infinitely worse than 02.

Sorry if you thought differently.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Cyber Sleuth is one of those rare good video games that changes the game enough to let you be a girl, but doesn't change the character relationships or story at all, so every other girl in the game you meet is just super gay for the player character. We need more Cyber Sleuths in the world.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Geostomp posted:

The translation on a whole is mixed, but it has its moments.

I've noticed!

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
i have to wonder what the story is behind precisely this one feature of cyber sleuth being so aggressively incomprehensible

there's no way QA could have missed what looks like a boatload of unaltered machine translation output in a menu you're prompted to visit semi-regularly

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ghost sex posted:

i have to wonder what the story is behind precisely this one feature of cyber sleuth being so aggressively incomprehensible

there's no way QA could have missed what looks like a boatload of unaltered machine translation output in a menu you're prompted to visit semi-regularly

It was done super cheap because historically Digimon games have sold poorly in the west so they put all the texts through machine translation and focused on the main text to triage it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
my favorite recurring fuckup is that Arata keeps referring to a Bakemon, which was super confusing until I realized he’s probably calling the Eaters bakemono (monster) and they just mindlessly plugged a Digimon in.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

my favorite recurring fuckup is that Arata keeps referring to a Bakemon, which was super confusing until I realized he’s probably calling the Eaters bakemono (monster) and they just mindlessly plugged a Digimon in.

Not just Arata, the policeman also has the same dumb Bakemon mistranslation. It's indeed bakemono/monster being mistranslated.

Zore posted:

It was done super cheap because historically Digimon games have sold poorly in the west so they put all the texts through machine translation and focused on the main text to triage it.

I can't blame them honestly, no one could expect a Digimon game to actually be really good instead of a terrible hyper-grindy mess.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zore posted:

I think it's better to blame Bamco directly for it as opposed to the property, because their machine translation of Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment was infamous.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheHan posted:

The worst part is that exactly once it's correct, IIRC the first time it comes up the joke is that someone is confusing "Bakemon" and "Bakemono".

Also go read some of the Digimon profiles sometime, they're similarly troubled. Protip: Growmon is not actually a wizard.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Takoluka posted:

I think it's better to blame Bamco directly for it as opposed to the property, because their machine translation of Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment was infamous.

knowing only one, very infamous thing about SAO i'd say that translation checks out

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The medals are also hosed up, in a way that makes me think that a few of them got cut and the order was never updated.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Brother Entropy posted:

knowing only one, very infamous thing about SAO i'd say that translation checks out

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

The medals are also hosed up, in a way that makes me think that a few of them got cut and the order was never updated.

That's not the case. No medals were cut. However, they're ordered alphabetically - if your alphabet is Japanese, that is. They never bothered to reorder them for roman letters or even their own name changes, so they're all out of order.

Also worth pointing out is that the medals show some really bad localizations as well, getting several names wrong such as Lucemon Rival (Lucemon Larva) and MedicalGallantmon (MedievalDukemon)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is this game actually good or is it just endearingly bad?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Cyber Sleuth is genuinely really good in both writing and gameplay (if you like turn-based RPGs).

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
No it’s great! The combat is fun and while the story is a slow burn there’s a lot of fun characters (Jimiken) and tons of fanservice in the Digimon you can make (there is also titties galore if that’s your thing). The localization is pretty garbo though. That and the weird Clamp anatomy with the vacuum sealed clothes are the only things that have bothered me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

the script is all over the place in terms of quality but the actual gameplay is a competent if not particularly inspired turn-based jrpg

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also worth pointing out is that the medals show some really bad localizations as well, getting several names wrong such as Lucemon Rival (Lucemon Larva) and MedicalGallantmon (MedievalDukemon)

MedicalGallantmon should totally be a thing tho.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

MedicalGallantmon should totally be a thing tho.
I’m just imagining him dressed as the TF2 Medic. And if BanchoLeomon has taught me anything, it’s that a Digimon in cosplay is EXTREMELY powerful.

I know that’s a bad joke, I just really wanted to reference BanchoLeomon.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's been a while since I played Cyber Sleuth, but I remember Nokia being the best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Cyber sleuth and hackers memory are easily the best Digimon games released in the west with the possible exception of the card game game

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

Cyber sleuth and hackers memory are easily the best Digimon games released in the west with the possible exception of the card game game

Low bar but you are not wrong.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Digimon World 3 with quicksave and counter crest is pretty good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheHan posted:

Digimon World 2003 with quicksave and counter crest is pretty good.

Yes

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I have a very, VERY nostalgic soft spot for Digimon World 1 as one of my first games ever when I was like 9 or so but man is that game a buggy piece of trash.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TheHan posted:

Digimon World 3 with quicksave and counter crest is pretty good.

I tried playing Digimon World 3 before and there was just so much drat padding in that game that I gave up partway through.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I really liked Next Order. It was all the archaic bullshit I remembered from Digimon World 1 but it made sense this time. Dunno if that's game design or the fact I'm not seven, though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

blossommirage posted:

I really liked Next Order. It was all the archaic bullshit I remembered from Digimon World 1 but it made sense this time. Dunno if that's game design or the fact I'm not seven, though.

I also really enjoyed Next Order but it was the type of enjoyment where I really liked the game but would never recommend to another human being

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

blossommirage posted:

Next Order is greatly improved over the original World. It helps that this was their third pass at it after the Japan-exclusive Re:Digitize which itself was pretty bad. Habu's touch greatly improved the system and Next Order is actually playable and can even be fun.

"Can be" if you're into that, I mean. I enjoyed it but it's very painful at times. It's definitely not a game I can recommend as easily as the Cyber Sleuth duology.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TheHan posted:

That isn't entirely the fault of the translation, you can hear the japanese voice actor saying "bakemon" in those lines too. I believe the writer felt smart mixing the words "bakemono" and "digimon" to make the characters refer to those things and forgot/didn't know there was an actual digimon with that same name.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
thought you guys might find this neat, yesterday I found a collection that had sprite sheets for more or less every Digimon from the DS era Story games(Digimon Story, Digimon Story Sunburst & Moonlight, Digimon Story Lost Evolution, & Digimon Story: Super Xros Wars Red & Blue), after downloading it and seeing that it was indeed more or less complete, I decided to properly organize the sheets by Level(taking into account certain quirks such as how the DS era Story games often lumped Armor evolutions in with Perfects, and doing some guess work on where to put the Xros Wars era guys in, which I'll admit was kinda arbitrary in parts) and then re-zipped it and uploaded it onto MEGA;

https://mega.nz/#!8s0jCb5I!L7JM_e4OoPJhlBOLQk8mMV5CpyfsXCgZzLNdijKWa5s

could probably have some fun making little evolution lines or V-Pet style trees using these sprites(might even give some sprite editing a try and make some of the recolors that got left out like Psychemon)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

here's my attempt at a Pendulum-alike. the theme is "Primal Fury" and the focus for the collection is prehistoric, dinosaur, or ancient digimon.

I screwed up with the Baby forms. Pretend it's just Jyarimon to Gigimon there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

thought you guys might find this neat, yesterday I found a collection that had sprite sheets for more or less every Digimon from the DS era Story games(Digimon Story, Digimon Story Sunburst & Moonlight, Digimon Story Lost Evolution, & Digimon Story: Super Xros Wars Red & Blue), after downloading it and seeing that it was indeed more or less complete, I decided to properly organize the sheets by Level(taking into account certain quirks such as how the DS era Story games often lumped Armor evolutions in with Perfects, and doing some guess work on where to put the Xros Wars era guys in, which I'll admit was kinda arbitrary in parts) and then re-zipped it and uploaded it onto MEGA;

https://mega.nz/#!8s0jCb5I!L7JM_e4OoPJhlBOLQk8mMV5CpyfsXCgZzLNdijKWa5s

could probably have some fun making little evolution lines or V-Pet style trees using these sprites(might even give some sprite editing a try and make some of the recolors that got left out like Psychemon)
You’re a loving hero

Edit: Also, apparently, I follow you on Tumblr, Nodosaur, because I just saw that on my dash.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 11, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Petiso posted:

That isn't entirely the fault of the translation, you can hear the japanese voice actor saying "bakemon" in those lines too. I believe the writer felt smart mixing the words "bakemono" and "digimon" to make the characters refer to those things and forgot/didn't know there was an actual digimon with that same name.

:psyduck: between this and someone saying there was a joke about is earlier that I missed I wonder if it’s just a dialect quirk with Arata. Bakemon and Bakemon with Hat are totally unimpressive but are like OG Digimon. They couldn’t have just...forgot about ‘em?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Translators don't neccesarily know where a line in a game actually is in context so when they were proofreading they saw bakemon was a real Digimon and left it at that