Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

C'mon, who didn't name Barrett Mr.T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna reveal a most terrible secret

I don't think I've ever renamed a character in an JRPG.

That's really not weird for a JRPG to be fair. Complete customization is more of a crpg thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My last playthrough, I went with trying to name them as close to regular names as possible.

Cloud was Claude
Tifa was Tiffany
Barett was Barry
Cid was Sid
Vincent is already a regular rear end name so I went with Vince.

I don't remember what I did for the rest and I uninstalled it from my Switch so I can't check.

I usually don't rename JRPG characters. I definitely don't rename Pokemon when I play a new gen because then I'll never learn their actual names.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eddain posted:

I bought 8 Crunch bars and 2 Butterfingers for the FF7R promotion and got an email saying I qualified for the 5 DLCs, plus I got a code for the dynamic Tifa theme. It kicks rear end.

Do you have to find special packaging or do you just plug serial numbers into a website or something? I keep looking at the grocery store but haven't seen any promotional packaging yet.

e: also the best Cloud name is clearly Zack

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

lmao, I feel for anyone named Zack who decided to use their name for Cloud too

this happened to my cousin and as a result i ended up having to spend like an hour trying to explain the plot to him

the words "okay, but what?" were used frequently

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Do you have to find special packaging or do you just plug serial numbers into a website or something? I keep looking at the grocery store but haven't seen any promotional packaging yet.

e: also the best Cloud name is clearly Zack

No special packaging. They have to match the right UPC code, and you take a pic of your receipt then upload it.

Note that they'll reject a recipet for the dumbest of reasons. Mine was rejected because it wasn't lying on a flat surface.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Going full-on wrasslin’ for character names in the remake:

Cloud = Sting
Barret = Booker
Tifa = Trish
Aerith = Elizabeth
Red XIII = JYD
Yufie = Asuka
Cait Sith = Seamus
Vincent = Raven
Cid = Pillman

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am 99% sure that you can't rename characters in the remake. You haven't been able to since they introduced voice acting to series, other than them trying awkwardly to write FFX without anyone ever saying Tidus.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm sorry 5 DLCs in candy bars? this is fine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm sorry 5 DLCs in candy bars? this is fine.

Mass Effect 2 had like 7 dlcs wrapped up in Dr. Pepper.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They need to use vocaloid/ML techniques so we can hear the VA's pronouncing whatever stupid names we write.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

They need to use vocaloid/ML techniques so we can hear the VA's pronouncing whatever stupid names we write.

:hmmyes:

I'd actually love to see a game do that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elentor posted:

“The planet’s dyin’, fuifkforn5hdj!”

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oooh they reposted this to YouTube a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3prJhoqN9_k&t=444s

Any chance this game is getting custom soundtracks so I can use the Gold Saucer Ice Cream Paintjob?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think somebody posted in coupons that the candy dlc is all gone

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just got to Cosmo Canyon, and it seems like Reeves has been there before.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

I think somebody posted in coupons that the candy dlc is all gone

I see no such post. And I submitted my receipt this morning and got my Tifa theme this afternoon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also Cosmo Canyon is probably my favourite non-Midgar town in the game. Just chilling watching the bonfire.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 11, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I see no such post. And I submitted my receipt this morning and got my Tifa theme this afternoon.

its here but idk if its true just saying what i saw

FilthyImp posted:

Buy two and send the receipt in and you should get the link.

I've given up on the dlc. Looks like all the codes got taken and Prizelogic CS is a bag of dicks.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How does this candy bar dlc thing work. Idgi

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The closer we get to climate hell and the more openly corrupt our leaders get, the more I sympathize with Barret.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

DrNutt posted:

Mass Effect 2 had like 7 dlcs wrapped up in Dr. Pepper.

^$#&, when you're right you're right, ME2 is one of my favorite games.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also Cosmo Canyon is probably my favourite non-Midgar town in the game. Just chilling watching the bonfire.

also you get story bits about best good boy and second best good boy

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 11, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

also you get story bits about best good boy and second best good boy

Ho Ho Hooooooooooo

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dell_Zincht posted:

Ho Ho Hooooooooooo

Did we ever get confirmation about whether that's meant to be like a drawn out "ho ho ho" on the last syllable, or if it's like 'hoot' but without the T?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

Original mode. I haven't died yet, but only because I'm cheating with infinite items. Otherwise I'd be constantly casting Cure, getting a couple hits in, Osmose, repeat.

Enemy damage is pretty high. And speed. Even on Wait mode. I've started inflicting Sadness on everyone just for the -30% damage taken.
To save on healing just have Aerith/Aeris bonk folks with the healing rod since it does a fair chunk of healing.
Try to build characters into archtypes when you can and use their innate bonuses.

For instance Cloud's boost to Magic & Attack for every limit break used can pair well if you load him up on magic materia.

Tifa I haven't found her to be a strong attacker but she's really fast so she can be really good as support and healing.

Barret just seems to fit the tank role sitting in the back row and putting cover materia on him.

Don't forget as well there's a few enemies that actually have equipment to steal or morph from.
Here's the key ones I usually pick up from Midgar:
Hell House > Morph > Full Metal Staff (Physical attack staff for Aeristh)
Eligor (Train Graveyard) > Morph > Star Pendant
SOLDIER: 3rd (Shinra HQ) > Steal > Mythril Saber (Magic boost for Cloud)

Don't forget too to look at what stat boost materia has, loading up someone with magic will weaken their defenses and most non-magic materia now has some decent stat boosts to give to characters.

E: Oh and yeah the armour you get early on has huge differences, there's titan and mythril bangles that boost str/mag but you loose a ton of defense from those. Iron bangles on the other hand are fairly strong defensive armour.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 11, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Did we ever get confirmation about whether that's meant to be like a drawn out "ho ho ho" on the last syllable, or if it's like 'hoot' but without the T?

The word Hoot always reminds me of Minstrel Song, due to the quest "Eule gives a Hoot".

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

bewilderment posted:

I've always assumed the latter, guess we'll find out for sure in like 2026

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I just spent $139 on these...am I an idiot?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yes but I’m also an idiot who would pay that much for those.

Where can I locate those babies?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

I just spent $139 on these...am I an idiot?

Yes. Easy to stack and easy to superficially wipe down but, as a real doll aficionado I can tell you that the low poly barret anus makes your dishwasher sound like a rock tumbler when you remove and clean it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Cries in scraping that money to spend on medical bills*

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

esperterra posted:

Half the fun is naming him Nanaki, the comedy comes from him correcting everyone that his name has indeed been Nanaki this whole time.

e: whoever suggested the the best option of naming everyone Sephiroth is on point tho. i think you can only fit that on PC tho

But goddamn tryna follow the story with how often everyone says eachother's names or Sephiroth's name is :discourse:

Calling everyone "ShinRa" created some comedy in one of my old playthroughs.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

If anyone still needs to get their FFVII fix in before the game launches, I just binged through Tim Rogers's Let's Mosey series again and it's just as fun as the first time!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Chieves posted:

If anyone still needs to get their FFVII fix in before the game launches, I just binged through Tim Rogers's Let's Mosey series again and it's just as fun as the first time!

Tim Rogers is a treasure. Thank you for reminding me that this series exists.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Yes but I’m also an idiot who would pay that much for those.

Where can I locate those babies?

eBay

If you are in Japan or know someone in Japan, they are part of a lottery or gacha style game. 700 yen per ticket, you can win those, towels, cups, a Cait Sith plush, a larger and realistic Cloud or Aerith figure, some badges, etc. The only website I've found that sells the tickets to those outside of Japan was selling them for about $13 a ticket, and it still was a random drawing. With this, each figure comes out to around $20 each, so I figure it's worth it. The knock-offs on Etsy are worse quality and cost more.

The only figure this is missing is the Cloud in drag, which seems to go for at least $100 by itself.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 11, 2020

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Re: namechat - on my last playthrough, I named everybody after characters from different Final Fantasy games. It started out with naming Cloud "Squall" as sort of an impulse joke, and then it didn't seem right to have only him be different so it just kind of spiraled outwards from there. The conversations got pretty surreal at times.

Cait Sith was Buttz, because I have the maturity of an eight year old.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

GoGoGadget posted:

If you are in Japan or know someone in Japan, they are part of a lottery or gacha style game. 700 yen per ticket, you can win those, towels, cups, a Cait Sith plush, a larger and realistic Cloud or Aerith figure, some badges, etc. The only website I've found that sells the tickets to those outside of Japan was selling them for about $13 a ticket, and it still was a random drawing. With this, each figure comes out to around $20 each, so I figure it's worth it. The knock-offs on Etsy are worse quality and cost more.

The only figure this is missing is the Cloud in drag, which seems to go for at least $100 by itself.

lets say one was going to Japan soon, where would these tickets be sold?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

lets say one was going to Japan soon, where would these tickets be sold?

7/11's and Family Marts I think, but I'm not sure.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I really want American convenience stores to start stocking FF themed snacks like kuraagekun in Japan and adding the victory fanfare song to the register when you buy some. Make 7/11 do it for the hot dogs or pizza or those taquito things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“BASCH LIVES” shouts the register, as I shamefully purchase a half stale apple fritter