Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Does putting one of those masks on your horse affect its braveness?

I grabbed the black Arabian while it was on sale despite all the warnings about Arabians being the most skittish but I'm only level 3 bonding with it and it shrugged off three wolf packs and a goddamn grizzly bear charging at it last night, it not giving a gently caress made the bear stop and run away (lol wut?) It doesn't seem to care about gunfire either.

My Turkoman (which I was told were braver) is a pussy compared to it and I wonder if it's the mask acting as blinders or if "braveness" is just a random stat thing that's rolled when you buy the horse?

or is it that the black Arabian is just that way because it's the most expensive horse and its the white/red Arabians that are the skittish ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I’m under the impression that people who remark about skittishness are the ones who drive their horse directly into the path of a cougar and think they’ll somehow speed past it, then get angry when their steering is suddenly disrupted and they get bucked into a fight to the death.

Outside of certain circumstances in PvP or PvE shootouts, rule of thumb should be that you are not Rooster Cogburn. Without the aid of dead eye cards and quick response time, you should not charge headlong into any kind of danger. If you encounter something you weren’t prepared for, you oughta hightail your poo poo away from there and regroup, then maybe take a life or two. Otherwise, don’t feel like you were somehow inconvenienced when you killed yourself.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As far as I can tell, there is no hidden Bravery stat either assigned to breed nor to individual horse. No evidence/testing exists and everything I can find about it about it is anecdotal.

Masks do not affect it either.

Use your calm button. I only know it's left stick press on an XBOX controller.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 11, 2020

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The horses very definitely behave differently. You're the only person I've encountered who says otherwise.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes yes, everyone has conflicting anecdotes on how horse bravery works. Show me some real testing on it and convince me otherwise.

When people realized breed doesn’t actually seem to have an affect on bravery, they jumped to the conclusion that every single horse gets a randomly generated secret bravery stat.

In reality, it seems to be people recognize patterns that aren’t there with a good dose of confirmation bias. Players who ride more aggressively think their horses are skittish. Most players don’t try more than a couple horses and their playing styles evolve between them that provide different average experiences per horse.

It’s difficult to test properly. Identical experiments. Able to be repeatable. The game doesn’t support an easy way to do it. But hey, prove me wrong. That’d be fine.

Regardless, “skittish” horses deal just fine with proper calming management. I wouldn’t stress bravery and grab horses that have great movement stats.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm gonna go with the data guy on this one

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've always felt the same way. My first game through SP I used the white Arabian and it never bucked me off unless a bear or cougar got close but every horse did that.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
The discussion on horse psychology is fascinating, but what about the balls?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

There's a new patch that gives you a raccoon hat if you have 2 factor authentication enabled :f5:

Where’s the info on this? I didn’t see anything about it last night when I was playing and there’s nothing on the :rockstar: site.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Arcella posted:

They shrink in cold weather.

No, really.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Arcella posted:

Get the tallest horse you can. Big horse, big nuts.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
All the horse data analytics in the world doesnt matter when you tower over your posse mates with their pathetic tiny jorses

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I am so small on my Arabian. :negative:

And she has no balls.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
Steal the donkey that’s occasionally at Emerald Ranch and ride around slower than hell with your feet dragging the ground.

You’ll have a new appreciation for all the horses.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
I just found out that you can hold the 'calm horse' key :downs:
It makes perfect sense and is much faster than...yeah

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

I am so small on my Arabian. :negative:

And she has no balls.

Well she clearly isn't trying hard enough.

TorakFade posted:

Uuuuuhhhh....

:captainpop:

winter.mute posted:

Steal the donkey that’s occasionally at Emerald Ranch and ride around slower than hell with your feet dragging the ground.

You’ll have a new appreciation for all the horses.

What? Where is it???

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

TorakFade posted:

What? Where is it???

It's grazing on the grass at Emerald Ranch, by the barn where the fence has his shop just outside the doors where you deliver stolen wagons in single player. I have no idea what its spawn cycle or rate is but it's not there very often.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

winter.mute posted:

Where’s the info on this? I didn’t see anything about it last night when I was playing and there’s nothing on the :rockstar: site.

It's not related to the new patch, I added 2FA to my account back in January and after a week I got a raccoon hat and 10 gold.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

winter.mute posted:

It's grazing on the grass at Emerald Ranch, by the barn where the fence has his shop just outside the doors where you deliver stolen wagons in single player. I have no idea what its spawn cycle or rate is but it's not there very often.

And if there's no donkey in the field, go inside the barn to the far wall and it will respawn all the animals outside (assuming no other players are outside)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I kind of want to play Red Dead Online, but I'm not sure what there is to do? Like are there heists and missions and stuff like GTA online?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It all kind of sucks, actually.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Is there a better way to buy clothes online? because all this backing in and out of the catalogue to get to different parts of the outfit is really really dumb

I know if I'm looking at something like a jacket, I can hit the "view all jackets" and scroll through them but is there a way to "view all clothes?" or do I have to suffer this batshit insane way of buying a shirt, then backing out to flip over to pants, then backing out and flipping to jackets and FFS WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
You can use the website, but obviously it's harder to see what stuff might look like in-game: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/catalogue/online/

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

I kind of want to play Red Dead Online, but I'm not sure what there is to do? Like are there heists and missions and stuff like GTA online?

yesterday i smoked 5 cigarettes
today i ate 5 biscuits
neither time did the game crash!

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

I don't think I've ever been quite so enamored and then immediately bored with a game like I was with Red Dead Online.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was super into Red Dead Online right up to the point where I started hitting bugs that stopped me from doing things I wanted to do. That coupled with missing my streak killed my interest on the spot. I'll come back though, I enjoyed Bounty Hunter enough to max that out. I'd especially be interested in any content that adds combat scenarios, i.e. heists.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah the bugs drove me off before I could get bored. Hope they fix em!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was really into it for about three months, but then I lost my daily streak due to work and nothing in the game has rekindled that interest. I am not a fan of the moonshine business and that update broke a ton of stuff.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was kind of hoping there would be more content for this game. I was feeling like when I first started that there would be more regularly updates to roles and such but the weekly deals and stuff are all like boosters for people that are leveling stuff slowly rather than powering through it on top of a few new clothing items that I don't care at all about.

Also when is the next Outlaw Pass supposed to drop because that feels like it should have by now.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I was kind of hoping there would be more content for this game. I was feeling like when I first started that there would be more regularly updates to roles and such but the weekly deals and stuff are all like boosters for people that are leveling stuff slowly rather than powering through it on top of a few new clothing items that I don't care at all about.

Also when is the next Outlaw Pass supposed to drop because that feels like it should have by now.

Something new should have dropped by now. I don't think the previous Outlaw Pass is done yet though?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Lugubrious! posted:

Something new should have dropped by now. I don't think the previous Outlaw Pass is done yet though?

Ended on Monday. No news on anything new coming down the pipe.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

bugs seem to be mostly fixed now, Cripps hasn't packed my camp up since a couple updates ago! (still moves it around within the region sometimes, but eh, that's fine)

and there's a lot of numbers that go up pretty slowly if you like that, my lizard brain LOVES it. I still have to make insane amounts of money to buy cosmetics and stuff, it'll keep me occupied for a while

but eh, as far as actual things to do beside shooting animals or people, fishing, picking herbs and riding around there's not much. Moonshine business is kinda boring, trader and collector get very repetitive once maxed, and bounty hunter has infuriating mechanics (little payouts for the effort, have to let timer run down to get the most xp and money, catching people alive sucks...),

oh right, you can pet a dog! If you rank up enough and pay through the nose for it. Seriously, everything costs so drat much

You know what I'd pay good real money for? A "be a rancher" DLC either for singleplayer (which already has all the bases for it, too, since you do that during the story) or RDO. Let me buy land, milk cows, capture breed and sell horses, shovel manure, grow veggies to eat and/or feed your cattle, hire farmhands... Stardew Valley in a realistic setting and with proper graphics? hell yeah

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 13, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Roles suck and are not a source of fun.

Missions in RDO are basically Lamar Missions from GTA Online.

This Rancher role you're suggesting would not be good in a game like this and Rockstar Online Development team certainly does not have the chops to do it. Go play Stardew if you want to play Stardew. You'll get a much better experience. Done with that already? I really liked My Time at Portia (thread link).

So what's fun right now? Blowing up people's poo poo that they're tediously grinding and then killing them every time they try to get revenge.

The game REALLY needs good "heist" like content for structured PVE and more to do in the open world. Regular events that aren't instanced. Maybe a constant gang territory capturing mechanic. Did anyone else play Multi Theft Auto? I can't remember if it was all of Multi Theft Auto or just one server's thing, but Las Venturas had a constant territory capture game going on that was fun.

They also just need to fix all the stupid bullshit like the terribly designed "Free Roam" Events. Railroad Baron, for instance, spawning everyone on the same spot in a free for all where the objective is to capture and hold a moving target just results on everyone in the back killing each other when the one guy holding the train car only has to kill the one player who escapes the spawn area every so often. This would be fixed if they spawned people RANDOMLY around the train. All of the free roam events are broken like that and don't have complicated fixes. Just super bad design that doesn't get playtested or corrected.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 13, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

This Rancher role you're suggesting would not be good in a game like this

Why not?

I checked time at portia but it's still cartoonish and centered on "let's make friends", I want something like that or Stardew but where I can be an old style wild west homesteader that will shoot you with a shotgun if you loiter in his fields, not make friends. Also I'm much more attracted to good graphics, Stardew Valley was fun but I'd love it much more if it had a realistic, AAA-worthy graphics style.

Maybe online wouldn't be the place to make that, but as said I'd get it even (or maybe, even more gladly) as singleplayer DLC.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Why not?

I checked time at portia but it's still cartoonish and centered on "let's make friends", I want something like that or Stardew but where I can be an old style wild west homesteader that will shoot you with a shotgun if you loiter in his fields, not make friends. Also I'm much more attracted to good graphics, Stardew Valley was fun but I'd love it much more if it had a realistic, AAA-worthy graphics style.

Maybe online wouldn't be the place to make that, but as said I'd get it even (or maybe, even more gladly) as singleplayer DLC.

Because people in this thread are goony and contrarian sometimes, I would also enjoy a rancher role, you're good. That said, Zesty is also correct that it would take a long time before rockstar actually made it fun and fixed the bugs even if they did implement it based on how trader and moonshiner have gone

PaybackJack posted:

Based on the fact that they're still pumping out content for GTAO, I have to assume more roles and content are coming for this too, it's just taking a while because :rockstar:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Trader, Moonshiner and the other roles are pretty simple systems when you get down to it. Having Harvest Moon in your Red Dead Redemption is just out there. You don’t want whatever watered down crap Rockstar will bandaid patch into it. You want something built from the ground up to support that.

Kind of like how you want your Online Multiplayer game to be designed alongside your base single player game from the ground up, not haphazardly designed and slapped on by a different weaker team. :rockstar:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Trader and Moonshiner are just copied and pasted from GTAO businesses. I expect we'll see Horse Import-Export at some point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think they're better implemented and allow for solo or small groups of people to actually do them. The equivalents in GTAO aren't that fun. The moment you do any trade thing in GTAO you have the entire map of people coming in with jetpacks and aircrafts with the sole purpose of ruining your poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah. Trader only highlights half the map when you're doing a distant delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don’t see why you can’t sell a horse in RDO. You should be able to, at least once a day.