Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

The crossover is a series of electronic components that splits the frequencies between each speaker. If one of those components is gone, it could account for the issue, or the drivers could basically be hosed or have been unplugged.

Those speakers appear to have a bit of an EQ on the front which might make the wiring a little more complicated. At the minimum you're replacing both woofers and mid ranges, so if you're serious about it you might as well order some and plug them in, see if they work. They're usually spade connectors on the back, sometimes soldered. They're not super expensive speakers, I think Realistic was a budget Radio Shack brand, but they look like they'd probably go alright with some entry level Dayton audio drivers. The tweeter looks like a relatively decent unit, the enclosure looks like it's well put together, so if you're prepared to do the work you'll probably get some decent, fairly efficient speakers out of it.

Sweet. I've got two working Sansui S-30C's to tide me over. Using a JVC RX-5022VSL receiver. All free.
What should I be looking for in an entry level sub? I've got a single RCA out on my receiver that says subwoofer.

Edit: gently caress. I'm pricing out replacing those drivers and it looks like this free stereo is going to cost me almost CAD $200 after shipping and taxes. (RS100P-8 x2 and DC200-8 x2) I'm looking on solen.ca FWIW. IDK if anyone has another Canadian vendor. I just went off Dayton's vendor list.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I know for the US PartsExpress is the place to look for dayton stuff. I can't imagine shipping to canada is that obscene from there.

I'm not sure what size those speakers are, but have a look here: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/woofers/15

Edit: Someone else in here might be able to provide more info - but I'm not sure the Dayton Reference series is going to be what you want either. Apart from the higher price, "reference" drivers are often much flatter in frequency response, which may not be what you want for a set of hi fi speakers - unless you're planning on using them as studio monitors.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 24, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

4 inch for the mid and 8 inch for the woofer. IDK why I picked the ones I did besides they were the right size.
As far as use case I just want the music loud enough that I can't hear my emotions.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Are you sure, because google is leading me to believe it's a 10 and a 5.

edit:

I'd say these are the parts you need.

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-10sfpc-b-10-square-frame-paper-cone-woofer-black--290-912 is a like for like replacement for your woofer.
Can't find a square frame mid but https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ds135-8-5-designer-series-woofer-speaker--295-426 will fit.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 24, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

Are you sure, because google is leading me to believe it's a 10 and a 5.

edit:

I'd say these are the parts you need.

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-10sfpc-b-10-square-frame-paper-cone-woofer-black--290-912 is a like for like replacement for your woofer.
Can't find a square frame mid but https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ds135-8-5-designer-series-woofer-speaker--295-426 will fit.

I just used a ruler. I dumb. Thank you for helping my dumb rear end.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

why are you replacing the woofers instead of just refoaming them?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

why are you replacing the woofers instead of just refoaming them?

Because the straight busted one gives absolutely zero response on either the woofer or mid.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so how do i know if i need to refoam my speaker or i completely busted it? it seems to be making that awful ssssss sound on certain frequencies now. this is after i blasted some music way too loudly friday.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

so how do i know if i need to refoam my speaker or i completely busted it? it seems to be making that awful ssssss sound on certain frequencies now. this is after i blasted some music way too loudly friday.

It should be obvious. Is the foam ripped and crumbling?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BigFactory posted:

It should be obvious. Is the foam ripped and crumbling?

If the surround is damaged, you refoam it.

If the surround is intact and it's making weird noises, you've probably burned out the voice coil.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I'm absolutely pathological about wanting to repair and refurb cool old stuff but I can't imagine spending $200 in parts on speakers that were $360 in 1986 at Radioshack. $200 can get some very cool functioning speakers on the used market.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
A lot of dead links in the OP. Is there a good resource on vinyl and turntables, proper care etc?

A couple quick, more specific questions. I just played two records, the first was very quiet when music wasn't playing. The second has a low volume fuzzy noise, which is what I remember always hearing from my parents' records growing up. It doesn't bother me but I was a little shocked at the stark difference between the two records in the background fuzz, which got me wondering since I'm a vinyl noob, where does that come from? Is that an issue with the records themselves, how the grooves were laid down, and the first record was just manufactured better?

Second, I have some vinyl records that were special releases with no download codes and no other format release; if I'd like to rip them to mp3, does anyone have any recommendations on how to capture that? The turntable has no USB output but I don't know if I need another piece of hardware, or if I need a soundcard in my PC, or what, and I certainly don't know anything about quality, so any and all info would be nice.

First record was Slayer's "Christ Illusion" and the second is side C of Download's "III". It's pretty nice!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Listerine posted:

A lot of dead links in the OP. Is there a good resource on vinyl and turntables, proper care etc?

A couple quick, more specific questions. I just played two records, the first was very quiet when music wasn't playing. The second has a low volume fuzzy noise, which is what I remember always hearing from my parents' records growing up. It doesn't bother me but I was a little shocked at the stark difference between the two records in the background fuzz, which got me wondering since I'm a vinyl noob, where does that come from? Is that an issue with the records themselves, how the grooves were laid down, and the first record was just manufactured better?

Second, I have some vinyl records that were special releases with no download codes and no other format release; if I'd like to rip them to mp3, does anyone have any recommendations on how to capture that? The turntable has no USB output but I don't know if I need another piece of hardware, or if I need a soundcard in my PC, or what, and I certainly don't know anything about quality, so any and all info would be nice.

First record was Slayer's "Christ Illusion" and the second is side C of Download's "III". It's pretty nice!

I am not sure what you mean by a fuzzy noise but that can be static. Vinyl records are a magnet for static. I've ordered some new old stock records and when you take them out of the paper sleeve the sleeve completely sticks to the record, and I get a nice shock when I touch something metal afterwards.

You can buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Boundless-Audio-Record-Cleaner-Brush/dp/B071DWG4C8

Don't press down too hard on the record when using it; you just let the record rotate and lightly touch it with that to remove all of the static.

Recording to a computer should be pretty easy, though I'd be shocked if someone hadn't done it already for the records you have (give SoulSeek a try; no joke it's still around and I find the most incredible rare stuff on there that's not even on YouTube).

But if you really want to record it onto a computer you can just get a female RCA to male 3.5mm adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-154-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O51/

You would plug your record player (or phono out if your record player does not have a pre-amp) into that, and then that into your laptop/PC. Many laptops will only have one 3.5mm port, but you can switch between headphone out or line in/microphone on the operating system you are using. Then just use something free like Audacity to record the line input. If you are using a desktop PC, you definitely don't need a soundcard. On a desktop PC you should see a bunch of different 3.5mm jacks in the back. Red, blue, green, etc. One of them is line-in and you would just plug it into that (I would recommend using line-in instead of the microphone port because microphone jacks tend to be SUPER LOUD to compensate for lovely computer mics and it can distort the record unless you have the volume super low).

As for maintenance, keep your records upright (never stack them on top of each other) in a horizontal fashion, use these instead of the paper inner sleeves records come with, and use this to clean your records. It might seem like a huge pain in the rear end to clean your records with that thing (and it is) but I only clean my records once when I get them and that's it. Used records need it for obvious reasons. Also most of the vinyl I buy is 90s hip hop so its been sitting in a paper sleeve for a LONG time. So I clean it with that as soon as I get it, and since I take care of my records, I never clean them again.

For real I bought the 1992 Public Enemy vinyl "Greatest Misses" a few months ago; still sealed since 1992. It sounded and played like absolute poo poo (despite it looking flawless). I gave it a deep clean in that yellow unit thing and it sounded PERFECT after that. Turns out the paper sleeves over time deteriorate (whether you can see it or not) and get lodged into the grooves of the record. So deep clean, then store them in those Mofi sleeves, and other than a spec of dust here and there you'll never need to clean it again. (for specs of dust I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Buddy-Record-Cleaner-Anti-Static/dp/B071Z2GZ5N ) as long as you don't get your oily fingers all over the record. The way to handle a record is ALWAYS use both hands (I have scratched more than a few records because I was holding my baby with one hand and trying to flip a record with the other) and when taking the record out of the sleeve, always use the middle finger method. You basically put your middle finger in the hole of the record, and your thumb around the rim of the record. This gives you a good grip and your oily mitts never touch the record itself.

edit: Also, with that anti-static brush I linked earlier, once you do that, then use the Mofi sleeves, you shouldn't need to "de-static" them again (or if you do, it's not often). This is because the Mofi sleeves are anti-static. Paper sleeves aren't.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 11, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Listerine posted:

what gear are you using, how old is it, what holes does it have

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

...excellent information...

Thanks a lot! This is pretty everything I was hoping for. Also can't believe Soulseek is around, I mostly stopped using file-sharing apps and torrents once I was making enough to afford buying the things I wanted.

Ok Comboomer posted:

what gear are you using, how old is it, what holes does it have

Nothing vintage. Pre-amp and power amp are Rotel, they were current models in 2001 but I can't remember the actual model numbers. The turntable is a Rega Planar 2- I was looking at others and some goons gave me recommendations but it ended up being a gift I wasn't in a position to turn down, and it's definitely fine for me. Speakers are a pair of Dynaudio Focus 260s from 2013.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Listerine posted:

Thanks a lot! This is pretty everything I was hoping for. Also can't believe Soulseek is around, I mostly stopped using file-sharing apps and torrents once I was making enough to afford buying the things I wanted.

Nothing vintage. Pre-amp and power amp are Rotel, they were current models in 2001 but I can't remember the actual model numbers. The turntable is a Rega Planar 2- I was looking at others and some goons gave me recommendations but it ended up being a gift I wasn't in a position to turn down, and it's definitely fine for me. Speakers are a pair of Dynaudio Focus 260s from 2013.

Stupid question but are you plugging the turntable into the PHONO input on the rotel?
Assuming you're using the appropriate input and the volume isn't cranked to high heaven then it's probably just a dirty/worn record.
Or maybe it's time for a new stylus that can handle records with smaller grooves.
You're sure that one of the records isn't a shellac 78? (That requires a whole different cartridge and possibly turntable if your TT can't play 78's You would notice. The songs would sound very slow and pitched down.)

I buy mostly 12" singles now-a-days, and I swear they sound better than their full length album LP counterparts. Probably because they aren't trying to cram more music into the same space by mixing-down/remastering tracks to lose some dynamic range in order to save record real estate. Wider groove spacing is also a plus.
The same concept applies to digital music. You can only fit so much on a USB stick of a given size at a given bitrate/quality. If you want to fit more music on the same space, something has to give so you reduce the quality to reduce the amount of space it takes up.

As far as cleaning there are a ton of methods that google will yield.
I got a SpinClean for Christmas one year and it's been great. I probably wouldn't have bought it on my own because that's kind of a lot of money for a hunk of plastic and some cleaner but I have washed probably 500 records with it and it has held up tremendously well.
Just take a stack of 50 and put on something you can passively watch on netflix.
If you're real good you can get through all of them in about an hour. If you're thorough and like to sort, organize, clean out covers, and swap inner sleeves for the aforementioned poly liners then it will take easily twice as long.

Ripping tracks from vinyl? well you can spend as much or as little as you want in that regard.
https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/recording-vinyl-into-your-computer-guide
If you're not trying to spend all the money, then you can rip straight from your turntable to your computer's mic input, although I wouldn't recommend it.
I've ripped things through my Rotel preamp and used the headphone out into my laptop's mic-in to make samples and that worked just fine. That way I could use the preamp's EQ and it would come in with RIAA correction already applied so I didn't have to use Audacity. I could just sample straight into Ableton.
Sometimes I just plug my mixer's USB straight into my laptop and do it that way. Sometimes I'll whip out my Focusrite 2i2 and use a phono stage, or preamp with phono input to send a line signal to that. It really depends on what I'm doing and whether or not I feel like getting off the couch, or going upstairs, or going into the basement, or leaving the garage. I have a lot of options available to me now and I use all of them, and they all seem to do alright.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Listerine posted:

Yeah, your gear is what we would call “pretty legit”. That P2 is definitely more turntable than most vinyl collectors end up owning. So as long as nothing is malfunctioning the noise might be due to the record itself (check inputs, switches, levers, the stylus, etc first).

A lot of new LPs come staticky and with crap from manufacturing. A lot of new LPs (particularly reissues that you might find at a big box store) aren’t mastered or manufactured with a ton of care, so they end up sounding not-that-great. Some albums are simply noisier than others. Same goes for loudness. Also old, worn LPs tend to pick up noise and scuffs/scratches will add to that.

For copying to PC- you can actually run a cable from your amp’s pre-out (or record out) to your computer. It can be as basic as an RCA-to-Stereo cable if your PC soundcard has a stereo input. Otherwise your best bet for good sound is to get a cheap RCA-to-USB dongle. Behringer makes one that costs a few tens of dollars (like $30 I think). Then you can use something like Audacity to record the tracks to WAV/mp3/etc.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Anybody got a good guide/parts list to replace the L/R out on a tech 1200 mk2? I have infinite free time for the foreseeable future since I’m a bartender. Just found and repaired a pair of CV! 280se and I think I’ve tracked a short in the turntable causing one channel to intermittently drop out.

I don’t have a soldering iron currently but I’ve done my fair share of it in the past

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Well... I'm pretty sure there are drop in replacement boards that allow you to only have to solder the tonearm wires.
But holy gently caress are those things tiny and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a real good soldering iron (like good temp control) and/or you're really good at soldering.

I've done 4. Don't do the self grounding mod. Stick with a chassis ground.

If I were going to do it again, I'd actually take the time to mod the case and mount some neutrik connectors so that I have nice jacks instead of dangly cables hanging out the bottom.
Like this guy:
e:gently caress the one I wanted to link was hosted on tinypic.com and they're out of business...

But here's another:
http://works1200.weebly.com/

Double edit:
some reverse gis helped me find it:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 19, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On a 1200, the tonearm wires are soldered to a small circuit board and the RCA leads are soldered to that, so you don't have to mess with the tonearm wires, unless there's a fault directly with them.

It is very much not like that on a 1500 and it's a real fiddly mess to recable one of those.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I want a new cartridge in the $125-$200 range. Anything that stands out?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

I want a new cartridge in the $125-$200 range. Anything that stands out?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MEI1RPC

That's the one I bought that I for sure thought was going to be a placebo and I was going to return it immediately but within a few seconds I couldn't believe how much better it made everything sound.

I listen to a lot of 90s hip hop, which was popular for that "yell all at once" style and on my stock cartridge anything with an "S" sound sounded like poo poo (it would crackle and just sound horrible). They call this "sibilance" and I simply thought it was a negative aspect of vinyl but it completely went away with that cartridge I linked.

I know it's about $50 out of your price range but I bet you can find it for less on ebay or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MEI1RPC

That's the one I bought that I for sure thought was going to be a placebo and I was going to return it immediately but within a few seconds I couldn't believe how much better it made everything sound.

I listen to a lot of 90s hip hop, which was popular for that "yell all at once" style and on my stock cartridge anything with an "S" sound sounded like poo poo (it would crackle and just sound horrible). They call this "sibilance" and I simply thought it was a negative aspect of vinyl but it completely went away with that cartridge I linked.

I know it's about $50 out of your price range but I bet you can find it for less on ebay or something.

Thanks! Not that far out of the price range really.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

Thanks! Not that far out of the price range really.

No problem! I was super hesitant on spending a lot on this hobby but I was so happy after listening to it. I only bought it from Amazon because I was sure I was going to return it. A lot of this vinyl stuff is placebo BS but that wasn't one of em.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Having a weird issue with my turntable and I'm not sure where to turn. Audio will cut out on the right channel randomly, and if I tap down on the headshell gently the needle will seem to pop back into the groove and will play both channels for awhile before cutting out. Alignment issue, or do I need a new needle? I bought this cart only a few months ago so it would suck to have to replace the needle so quickly.

Edit: I took the headshell apart and removed the cartridge and put it all back together again. Seems to be working without issue now.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 31, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Please help me on a quest! I've got a new DAC on the way (Topping D90), and need something more attractive to hook up as a CD player than my current Adcom GCD-575, in white. I have never paid any attention to early CD players, having a hard time figuring out what to look for. Plus, most of what I'm finding doesn't have a coaxial output.

This is where I need help.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a wild-looking 80's CD player with a coaxial output? It 100% must have a coaxial output, and it would be nice if it used at least somewhat readily-available components in the transport. It needs to be silent in use, have a good build quality, and be a dark color.

This is an example of the aesthetic I'm after, only downsides are that it's not functioning properly, the wrong color, and doesn't have a coaxial output: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revox-B-22...FePcGo#viTabs_0

My budget is extremely flexible. If it's absolutely amazing and reliable and you can easily get parts for it and fix it if it does break.... I mean, some art just has value, ya know what I mean?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Having a weird issue with my turntable and I'm not sure where to turn. Audio will cut out on the right channel randomly, and if I tap down on the headshell gently the needle will seem to pop back into the groove and will play both channels for awhile before cutting out. Alignment issue, or do I need a new needle? I bought this cart only a few months ago so it would suck to have to replace the needle so quickly.

Edit: I took the headshell apart and removed the cartridge and put it all back together again. Seems to be working without issue now.

I was going to say check your tracking force (everyone should have a scale!)

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Just upgraded from my old 70's integrated:

To some 90s (I think) separates:

I think I hosed up my epi 400 towers with the new amp, sadly. I had something wrong and a terrible howl came from the speakers, after which all the treble was gone. Got my 70's Polk monitor 7a's hooked up now and they still sound fantastic but it looks like a have a pandemic speaker repair project on my hands with the Epi towers :sweatdrop:

large hands fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 5, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Love me some 70s aesthetic but it’s hard to go wrong with Sony ES

Is the volume knob motorized?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

polyester concept posted:

Love me some 70s aesthetic but it’s hard to go wrong with Sony ES

Is the volume knob motorized?

Yeah, we're sad to lose the cool silverface amp with the blue *fluorscan* meter and huge knobs and levers in the livingroom where it felt like a cool piece of furniture but I'll keep it for a backup/den stereo.

The preamp cost twice what the power amp did and weighs almost as much lol. It is indeed a motorized volume knob, wife freaked when it moved itself when she turned up the volume with the remote.

The polks have been in the garage for years and I was going to give them away, but hearing them again I think I'm gonna get some teak veneer and a refoam kit and hang onto them:

large hands fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 6, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

large hands posted:

Just upgraded from my old 70's integrated:

To some 90s (I think) separates:

I think I hosed up my epi 400 towers with the new amp, sadly. I had something wrong and a terrible howl came from the speakers, after which all the treble was gone. Got my 70's Polk monitor 7a's hooked up now and they still sound fantastic but it looks like a have a pandemic speaker repair project on my hands with the Epi towers :sweatdrop:

Ugh I've lusted over an ES stack for quite some time. I can't ever find decent deals on ebay and they're nonexistent on craigslist. Excellent find.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ugh I've lusted over an ES stack for quite some time. I can't ever find decent deals on ebay and they're nonexistent on craigslist. Excellent find.

Thanks, the n55 power amps seem like a good deal to me. 110w into 8ohms, bridgeable to 300w for a dual amp setup and go for around 200usd. I paid around twice that for the pre but it's a very nice one, I believe there are cheaper ES preamps out there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

large hands posted:

I paid around twice that for the pre but it's a very nice one

Yeah but you got A REMOTE!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah but you got A REMOTE!

Turn up the volume? Oh, you must mean adjust the attenuator :smug:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Does increasing the attenuator reduce the volume then?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

It actually does, in a way...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IT DECREASES THE GAIN REDUCTION JESUS YOU PLEB

But yeah that is pretty funny. You would think "increasing the attenuator" would provide more loss.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So that attenuates the sound by that number of decibels or it sets it to be that many decibels?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

So that attenuates the sound by that number of decibels or it sets it to be that many decibels?

Infinity=no sound, 0=maximum volume

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

In the 90’s I had an old Sony car cassette deck that measured the volume in the same way but I never knew why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

empty baggie posted:

In the 90’s I had an old Sony car cassette deck that measured the volume in the same way but I never knew why.

Because the lunatics (engineers) were running the asylum I'd guess. That's how you wind up with fantastic Hi Fi gear that makes no sense to the average consumer.

It's a shame Sony lurched so far in the other direction during the Plastic Bullshit SUPA WOOFA era.