Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

DELETE CASCADE posted:

can i get in on this

I had huge success in searching my local CL for 'office liquidation', 'aeron', and 'Herman miller'.

currently trying to get a couple of people down from $350 to $200 by offering to show up with cash and take 5 off their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

it's amazing that people who take home over 6 grand a month somehow can't afford to feed themselves or buy a $300 monitor

thatll buy two very decent home office displays and a stand too, theres really no excuse

heck, attach to a tv for a spare screen if you need to. its not great but its better than being stuck on a tiny laptop

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i gotta think that this is mostly just people trying to make excuses for fuckin around at home all day and gettin no work done but idk maybe people really are this bad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol maybe they can postmates a mr coffee and a 5 lbs bucket of folgers

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm still coming to the office because wfh is too lonely and i will just end up smoking weed all day

also i am "not allowed" to use my far superior personal laptop to vpn in, they only want company computers on the company network. unless your computer is a phone, then it can be on the network and it's fine. i tried to convince IT that this didn't make sense, i could have jailbroken my phone and have root and be doing god knows what on your network, but they aren't buying it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the solution there is to lock down your phone via MDM or not allow it on the network. the solution is not to let your personal computer on the network.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we just got permission to take our desktops home and set up a vpn from there which IT has never on earth ever allowed us to do before

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lmao what functioning adult doesn't have coffee-crafting equipment in their home
if you don't want to make your own coffee while in isolation for pandemic reasons, you could always have a coronavirus coffee delivered to you by a coronavirus!
gig economy has all the answers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao the wireless signal at the home-desk is almost unusable. im gonna have to either move the router and cable modem or swap the desk in the living room with the dresser in the bedroom

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you have water, coffee grounds, a metal container, and a source of heat you can make coffee.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

it’s just for the next few weeks, but yeah, it’s stupid and it sucks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

if you have water, coffee grounds, a metal container, and a source of heat you can make coffee.

you dont even need the heat if you prep it in advance the night before and cold brew

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao the wireless signal at the home-desk is almost unusable. im gonna have to either move the router and cable modem or swap the desk in the living room with the dresser in the bedroom

just drag a cat5 cable down the hallway

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

these are "engineers" we're talking about. they've never done anything unless it was through an app that just told someone else to do it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

burning swine posted:

just drag a cat5 cable down the hallway

honestly the thing in my household that has solved more Tricky Situations for me over the years than anything else is just having a 50-foot bundle of Cat5

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
schools are closing. i expect any coworkers who are parents to be even more checked out from now on.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
update: i talked privately with the IT guy and yeah, no vpn from personal computers is "policy", but they aren't actually filtering, so i can do it anyway and it will work fine and he doesn't care

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jimmy Carter posted:

honestly the thing in my household that has solved more Tricky Situations for me over the years than anything else is just having a 50-foot bundle of Cat5

this was my college solution since wifi wasnt a thing and i didnt want to sit right by a plug

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm perfectly willing to believe that FAANG et al. employees are barely functional adults

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

wfh has made it impossible for me to ignore that i absolutely do not care about my job. scheduled a meeting with my manager to let him know im quitting.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kind Friend posted:

wfh has made it impossible for me to ignore that i absolutely do not care about my job. scheduled a meeting with my manager to let him know im quitting.

dude at least haul in the free checks until this blows over and you have to go back in

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

maybe it’s because i’m so used to working from home that this hadn’t sunk in for me yet. i just realized my options on the weekends are going to rapidly become more limited while the weather is simultaneously getting better and it’s going to make me go crazy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PIZZA.BAT posted:

dude at least haul in the free checks until this blows over and you have to go back in

yeah, you might as well coast for a bit and not job hunt or worry about costs in a pandemic

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kind Friend posted:

living the dream. godspeed.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

but also this

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I still haven't made a conclusion on WFH yet; definitely need to improve ergo, but being able to listen to music and have an open window and hang out with cats and having access to home niceties is good

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

can i get uh

some of that uh

coronaccino

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah they really haven't put it all together in their heads

mandatory WFH and virus scare and infection control are all living in orthogonal headspace right now

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I know the smart thing to do is coast. putting forth the minimum necessary effort just drives me fuckin nuts unfortunately. if I'm going to not work I want to actually be free of obligations.

I was planning on quitting very soon anyway, this just motivated me to accelerate my schedule slightly.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I would coast just because if I quite work with no continuance to another job, I'd just devise tasks for myself to do instead, which likely wouldn't generate any income but then id never want to go back to work

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
it'll be funny to see what happens after a month or two of mandated wfh with probably no productivity loss

middle management hates wfh because they like control and think it's necessary for productivity

but once the execs figure out they can actually get away with not paying for a physical plant....

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think the idea that there'll be no productivity loss is a little optimistic but it'll deffo be an interesting experiment. In my heart I know that the productivity losses won't be much but my heart is often wrong as hell.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

my productivity is great because instead of meetings i can actually write code, but business level productivity is not good because sales is having trouble even scheduling demos much less getting a contract approved during all this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its about the same for me because posting at home and posting at work is pretty much the same thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm on my third "mobile friendly" job and I'd estimate there's probably a 10-15% drag on business as usual but it's worth it IMO and fewer people bail at critical times

example: my company doesn't do MLK day but schools and daycare sure do. if someone couldn't work remotely and watch their kids they'd probably just take the day off

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

reminder that pretty much every time a company tries a 4 day workweek nothing happens to productivity and employee satisfaction goes way up

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

reminder: the punishment is the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qirex posted:

reminder that pretty much every time a company tries a 4 day workweek nothing happens to productivity and employee satisfaction goes way up

Are they hiring? Please don't say "not scrubs"