Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder why they haven't made a Frozen animated series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I finally got around to the second season of Infinity Train and I enjoyed the story as well as how it expanded the world. The background score continues to be transcendent. The score is a microcosm of the show's cerebral atmosphere. Especially in the last couple episodes of this season, IT continues to be unrelenting in its weirdness.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe the Tangled tv series was a test?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They wanted Cassandra but she needed to finish her journey in Tangled first obviously.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mraagvpeine posted:

The two main leads are expensive and/or aren't interested, and the show is much riskier without them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SlothfulCobra posted:

They sorta still are, although I heard Frozen 2 was not very good. I think the biggest issue is that they're so drat self-conscious and noncommittal about their old style. That's one of the things that's great about Tangled, it's just what it is. It's not some kind of weird attempt at being self-aware or any attempt at self-criticism (while still following through with all the Disney tropes as they disparage them). The songs aren't some kind of cheap workaround, they're not tacked on, they're honest expressions of the characters' emotions.

It seems like Disney's been trying to stay one step ahead of potential criticisms by elaborately heading them off at the pass when it needs to just tell a good story instead of doing elaborate brand management.
Just as one goon’s opinion, I reaaaaally liked Frozen 2 and its songs, even better than the first one, which I thought was just okay/good.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

JazzFlight posted:

Just as one goon’s opinion, I reaaaaally liked Frozen 2 and its songs, even better than the first one, which I thought was just okay/good.

I thought it was better paced than 1 but the story it told was kind of weird and everything worked out too neatly.

Songs were fun, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think the money spigot would open any wider than it is already?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand Brittain posted:

The two main leads are expensive and/or aren't interested, and the show is much riskier without them.

They could always recast them like they used to, but then again people might notice, since rewatching is a lot more of a thing now than in the 90s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I thought it was okay but it felt, how do I put it, unnecessary? Kinda like all the direct-to-video Disney sequels of yore, it's just a tale in the same setting where nothing of real consequence happens.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DoubleCakes posted:

I finally got around to the second season of Infinity Train and I enjoyed the story as well as how it expanded the world. The background score continues to be transcendent. The score is a microcosm of the show's cerebral atmosphere. Especially in the last couple episodes of this season, IT continues to be unrelenting in its weirdness.

Until now I've not heard of this and I really want to see it, sounds super interesting!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

I loved season 2, but I'm having a hard time imagining where they can go next. Season 3 focusing on The Cat? Amelia? The Lord of the Flies Conductor cult kids? None of those things seem nearly as strong a lead as Lake.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Now that the album's out we have the clean versions of Nothing Left to Lose and Crossing the Line and holy poo poo

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Thanks for the tip on the album, I know what I'm listening to on the drive home tonight :toot:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Until now I've not heard of this and I really want to see it, sounds super interesting!

You should, it's good!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also I timed it out and was inspired

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Senerio posted:

Now that the album's out we have the clean versions of Nothing Left to Lose and Crossing the Line and holy poo poo
Like... I love these songs, but is it worth watching the whole series just to wait for when the vocal songs pop up? (or should I just listen to the music by itself)

Steven Universe had a bit more appeal to me even without the songs, while Tangled gives off a vibe of skewing younger.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'd say you won't go wrong either way. The music is definitely the best part of the show, but the show is still good on its own. It has its ups and downs, like most shows, but I don't regret watching it.

If you just listen to the music, though, I recommend watching the videos because they put their all into the animations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You could probably put together a shortlist of all the "plot" episodes to give the songs enough context to work. It's not like the the tounament episode or the Gilligan's island arc really matter for the overall plot to work. The show doesn't exactly have a tight plot, Cassandra at the end of season 1 has a goal for her life that's entirely forgotten in season 3. There's also a few episodes with nice songs that have nothing to do with the greater plot that are still worth watching, like The View From Up Here is really nice, but it's not critical to anything else.

I feel like the songs lose something without any context, the animation works well in tandem, and with something like I Will Make You Proud, the context of the reprise really makes the whole thing for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't mind the filler moments in Tangled, I thought that some of them were quite well integrated, like the Island. The initial stranding in season 2 establishes that the island has magic that lets you see a facsimile of someone you've lost, then season 3 has a character broken enough to seek that magic out deliberately. I thought that most of the filler was at least interesting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I put together a list.

The Before Ever After Movie is what starts the series. There's also the original Tangled movie that you should watch if you haven't and wanna get to the series.

Season 1: 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21

If you're fine with skipping introductions to characters, you could pare that down to: 1, 16, 21, those are the ones with songs and places in an overarching narrative structure. 13 has a song, but it's kinda lame.

Season 2 is better overall, but if you want to skip the "unimportant" bits that don't matter for later: 1*, 4, 5*, 7, 14*, 15*, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21*

I left out some gold like most of Vardaros and the buddy episode between Eugene and Maximus.

Season 3, even denser with good bits, but still some chaff, and not all of it links together for the overall plot, so if you don't wanna see extraneous character bits: 1*, 2, 9*, 12*, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17*

* episodes have songs if you wanna really skip the plots and just get the music in its immediate context.

It might even be easier to pick up if you start with season 2 and revisit season 1 later, because the show kinda treads water for a long time before it picks up a sense of purpose. That was how it was for me and Star vs. the Forces of Evil, once you watch the tighter episodes, you might be more inspired to go back and see the characters before the plot picked up.

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't mind the filler moments in Tangled, I thought that some of them were quite well integrated, like the Island. The initial stranding in season 2 establishes that the island has magic that lets you see a facsimile of someone you've lost, then season 3 has a character broken enough to seek that magic out deliberately. I thought that most of the filler was at least interesting.

Looking at the episodes there was so much that could've been brought back towards the end that could've been something more. Some of it's not that important like Pascal's Dragon, but some could've really been of use at the end like Stallion or Quaid. And I still think that some things seem like they mattered enough that not bringing them back feels like a plothole, like Cassandra's relationship with her father and how she used to aspire to being captain of the guard. That wizard guy with the Rhino felt like he should've done something important as well, but he had nothing going on aside from being a miniboss. I'm not even really sure what happened to Cassandra's hand, how much it was damaged, if it's even better now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It is surprising just how good Glitch Techs looks and moves for being mostly rigged on Toon Boom.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Taear posted:

It's a surreal adventure series with a surprisingly disquieted atmosphere thanks to the bizarre and imaginative imagery and the prog electronic soundtrack that takes from John Carpenter and the like.

Also, both seasons are under two hours each. You can watch a whole season in the same time you can watch a movie shorter than Star Wars.

Madurai posted:

I loved season 2, but I'm having a hard time imagining where they can go next. Season 3 focusing on The Cat? Amelia? The Lord of the Flies Conductor cult kids? None of those things seem nearly as strong a lead as Lake.

They could just go for a completely fresh protagonist in S3 since it seems like people who enter the train must have a flaw they need to work on. They don't have to continue the "chain" of protagonists thus far. That being said I wouldn't mind Kate Mulgrew Cat being the protagonist for a season. :catte:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owl House seems to be getting interesting. Eda realising that since she's pretty lazy about teaching Luz magic and doesn't seem to have much of a plan for it that it's probably better all around to let her learn from the professionals seems interesting, and probably a jab at home-schooling. Also she used to be a redhead, of course.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Guys i need shirt

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Owl House seems to be getting interesting. Eda realising that since she's pretty lazy about teaching Luz magic and doesn't seem to have much of a plan for it that it's probably better all around to let her learn from the professionals seems interesting, and probably a jab at home-schooling. Also she used to be a redhead, of course.

Outfit included, she was basically Lina Inverse in her teenage years. I've loved the principal so far, the right balance of "hard, but fair" while also having seen and dealt with EVERY type of bullshit that students could pull.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope there's an episode where Eda goes to the Witch PTA.

doomrider7 posted:

Outfit included, she was basically Lina Inverse in her teenage years. I've loved the principal so far, the right balance of "hard, but fair" while also having seen and dealt with EVERY type of bullshit that students could pull.
"I'm a principle, not a stooge."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also seems like he might be motivated by the old adage 'Better inside pissing out than outside pissing in'; someone who'll actually get Eda to clean up some of her own mess is probably a rare thing, and it means Eda has a reason not to make his job any harder. (Aside from, well, being responsible for Luz, but that's something he's probably used to)

Get the impression that the vaguely referred to Emperor's authority over the Boiling Isles is pretty loose, Eda doesn't need to go to a lot of effort to hide her identity. (just at least some) Institutions like the school might especially tout their independence, at least relatively.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1e2Rk9kunc

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I am looking forward to the further flashbacks on the exploits of teenaged Edalyn and Lilith Clawthorne.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Finished Kipo, fantastic show. Hope it doesn't get canceled.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, according to the internet it seems that there's been a lot of hints dropped that Eda is apparently Stan Pines' one-day ex-wife?

I mean, I could see it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, according to the internet it seems that there's been a lot of hints dropped that Eda is apparently Stan Pines' one-day ex-wife?

I mean, I could see it.

Wait...what hints?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I haven't really been following along with Owl House but I feel like Eda is an entire order of magnitude out of Stan's league, even when he was younger.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, I could see it.

I was in the process of typing that it makes no sense, but I could actually see it with the league thing him just using swagger to make the difference and they're both very blatant con people who love chaotic pranks so there's also that. Would need links to the hints.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 16, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I imagine it's probably just an Easter egg that people are putting way too much thought into

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can only see them getting together if it involved both of them using eachother, probably robbing the other and leaving in the dead of night.

I don't really get why Luz hasn't been recording and freeze framing as many spells as possible. It seems like that's the only way for her to actually learn and do magic.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can only see them getting together if it involved both of them using eachother, probably robbing the other and leaving in the dead of night.

I don't really get why Luz hasn't been recording and freeze framing as many spells as possible. It seems like that's the only way for her to actually learn and do magic.

Her phone broke in the same episode that she discovered how she can cast spells.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Cicero posted:

Finished Kipo, fantastic show. Hope it doesn't get canceled.

This is the first show I'm starting during quarantine, and it's absolutely delightful. Also a little disconcerting that apparently civilization ended around 2019-2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh dear...