Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blumhouse and Universal is getting Karyn Kusama to direct a modern take on Dracula.

It just occurred to me they could update the story to be about a predatory movie producer.

Beachcomber posted:

Gaston eat the eggs.

He's getting a prequel for Disney+, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The BBC just had a modern take on Dracula. It was from the Sherlock guys so it was pretty meh. It was also a limited series so it didn't have a chance to out stay its welcome.

DC Murderverse posted:

i have faith that the guy behind Up and Monster's Inc and Inside Out is gonna make it good.
I personally think it'll be good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Casimir Radon posted:

The BBC just had a modern take on Dracula. It was from the Sherlock guys so it was pretty meh. It was also a limited series so it didn't have a chance to out stay its welcome.

Considering I’ve never heard of the shipping fandom name it clearly didn’t do wel

Wait is it the Netflix one

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I heard the first episode of the new Dracula was pretty good, the second was ok, and the third was mindbogglingly stupid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dracula related media really is a crapshoot. Speaking of which, the Castlevania cartoon's third season came out recently and is quite good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve only seen one of Kusama’s movies, the Invitation, but the direction was quite good while the script itself was boring as hell. I’ll give her Dracula a shot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The Dracula actor has said there's early talk between the BBC and Netflix about a second season.

Alan Smithee posted:

Considering I’ve never heard of the shipping fandom name it clearly didn’t do wel

Wait is it the Netflix one

Steven Moffatt did say that its version of Dracula is supposed to be bi-homicidal, not bi-sexual.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mads for Drac please

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Mads for Drac please

Seriously, if you're doing a Dracula adaptation and Mads doesn't come to your mind right away, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Alternatively, Mads for van Helsing, nobody for Dracula. The story will follow his victims and pursuers but Big D is never shown in person.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But people want the Big D

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mads plays both parts but it's never commented on or explained.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But people want the Big D

Don't show the Big D. It's what we don't see that truly frightens us!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I like Mads as Helsing in a Cushing sort of way. I feel like we've gotta see Dracula himself, but I'm so tired of suave charming sexy Dracula. I think he's got to have an animalistic, dangerous, or otherwordly vibe to him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Adam Driver should be Dracula.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I like Mads as Helsing in a Cushing sort of way. I feel like we've gotta see Dracula himself, but I'm so tired of suave charming sexy Dracula. I think he's got to have an animalistic, dangerous, or otherwordly vibe to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJyErKH2jw

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want Anthony Hopkins to revive his version of Van Helsing in his own movie. I don't care if he's 82, or what the main story beats are. I just want more.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tars Tarkas posted:

Holy lol this 2018 movie being released now in America has some interesting character names

Evidently they must mean Ignatius.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

wizardofloneliness posted:

I heard the first episode of the new Dracula was pretty good, the second was ok, and the third was mindbogglingly stupid.

Re. Stephen Moffat, it all ends mindbogglingly stupid. He's the British knock-off of J.J. Abrams.

Edit: I can write for the first time, quote is not edit....

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The last season of Sherlock is one of the worst things I've ever sat through. You'd need a pretty serious extension ladder to climb that far enough up your own rear end while writing it, and think what you were doing was worthwhile.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Following the delay of Bond, Fast 9 has been pushed back; to 2021
https://twitter.com/thefastsaga/status/1238137910756552704?s=21

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

aware of dog posted:

Following the delay of Bond, Fast 9 has been pushed back; to 2021
https://twitter.com/thefastsaga/status/1238137910756552704?s=21
You aren't happy with the design and want changes. Rest assured, everyone at One Race Films and Universal are committed to making Vin Diesel the best character he can be.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I'd expect to see this for more movies that haven't entered their final marketing cycle yet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i think it would be absolutely hilarious if New Mutants got delayed again

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That's a hell of a delay, though. Pushed back a whole year?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

That's a hell of a delay, though. Pushed back a whole year?

Eh, they'll have a guaranteed blockbuster, because it'll be the only finished movie to come out that month

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Casimir Radon posted:

That programme was a crime against humanity. By far the most indulgent Moffat & Gatiss effort yet. Absolute trash.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I'd expect to see this for more movies that haven't entered their final marketing cycle yet.

Even movies that have been getting big ad pushes are blinking, Quiet Place 2 and Lovebirds have both pushed their release dates.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Even movies that have been getting big ad pushes are blinking, Quiet Place 2 and Lovebirds have both pushed their release dates.

Makes sense because releasing now is a guaranteed flop. Even if postponing release gives you a much higher chance of failure, it still gives you a better shot than releasing now which is 100% doomed to fail because nobody wants to be in movie theaters right now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Given that I wouldn't feel comfortable actually going to them (less because of me than my elderly father I regularly cook for, and, you know, society) I'm honestly glad that stuff I'd want to see out in the theater is getting pushed back, even if the studios' motivation is obviously protecting the bottom line.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DC Murderverse posted:

i think it would be absolutely hilarious if New Mutants got delayed again

Disney is delaying Mulan, Antlers, and New Mutants http://on.io9.com/uuWEpdD 

Guess it's time to suspend A List.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would be cool if theaters put in more screenings of film classics.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They are delaying New Mutants?!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

They are delaying New Mutants?!

at this rate we're going to pass the 2 year anniversary of it's original release before it comes out

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Would be cool if theaters put in more screenings of film classics.

It would be even cooler if they didn't encourage people to gather together in an enclosed space and eat snacks served out of communal bins.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So is like nothing coming out in theaters for months now? If so, that's a huge bummer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

So is like nothing coming out in theaters for months now? If so, that's a huge bummer.

Next major release (until it gets delayed) is Trolls World Tour on April 10th. After that is Black Widow on May 1st.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

Next major release (until it gets delayed) is Trolls World Tour on April 10th. After that is Black Widow on May 1st.

Saint Maud is scheduled for the 10th as well as Charm City Kings the following week, and Bad Trip and Antebellum the week after that. They aren't major major but they are wide releases. We'll see if those hold.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Christian movie I Still Believe is set to open tomorrow. I've seen two ads for it on TV this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Christian movie I Still Believe is set to open tomorrow. I've seen two ads for it on TV this week.
I'd rather get coronavirus