Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

The Scientist posted:

0k, thanks.

The reason I ask is because I read an explanation of the song "I fought the Law" and for the first time, it all made perfect sense. Previously I thought it was a song about nothing.

Still a little hard for me to make the connection between "hippie liberal" == "the suede denim secret police will come for your uncool niece," but its beginning to make sense. I'm sure I'm being too literal

Liberal = someone supporting the expansion of capitalism, but understands there are societal costs that come with that expansion.

Neoliberal = someone supporting the expansion of capitalism, also understands there are societal costs, but doesn’t give a gently caress on account of them being costs.

Punk politics usually lean left of these ideas

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Scientist posted:

0k, thanks.

The reason I ask is because I read an explanation of the song "I fought the Law" and for the first time, it all made perfect sense. Previously I thought it was a song about nothing.

Still a little hard for me to make the connection between "hippie liberal" == "the suede denim secret police will come for your uncool niece," but its beginning to make sense. I'm sure I'm being too literal

You gotta also remember that Dead Kennedys alwere a very funny band

Parachute
May 18, 2003
peep them classics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVldfXHFlCU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah this one rules. OP if you’re looking for bands intending to be taken more literally and perhaps seriously might I recommend Crass and all Crass-adjacent bands?

https://youtu.be/khxsqf_L_v0

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 4, 2020

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I wish I knew the word "sardonic" when my parents found my copy of Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables lying around when I was in high school. I had a hard time explaining why "Kill the Poor" was supposed to be funny.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hearing this song live at Riot Fest owned

Also, is anybody else going to Punk Rock Bowling this year? I will be there all three days plus the Friday night show with Doom & The Unseen. Anybody who will be there hit me up I’ll buy you a drink I just got a raise a big bonus :wink:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
A friend surprised me with PUP tickets for their Phoenix show last week so she and I went--the setlist was (I believe) identical to when I saw them a few months ago but it absolutely loving ruled. If you can go to a show, do, they partner with a local charity and donate/take donations throughout. Last time they chose an org that helps homeless trans youths, this time AJJ pointed them towards a group that works to educate and bridge communities with privileged (literally white) people, it fucks and I dig it. Screaming Females also completely tore it up opening.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, is anybody else going to Punk Rock Bowling this year? I will be there all three days plus the Friday night show with Doom & The Unseen. Anybody who will be there hit me up I’ll buy you a drink I just got a raise a big bonus :wink:

I used to go every year back when it was about bowling.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

ThePagey posted:

A friend surprised me with PUP tickets for their Phoenix show last week so she and I went--the setlist was (I believe) identical to when I saw them a few months ago but it absolutely loving ruled. If you can go to a show, do, they partner with a local charity and donate/take donations throughout. Last time they chose an org that helps homeless trans youths, this time AJJ pointed them towards a group that works to educate and bridge communities with privileged (literally white) people, it fucks and I dig it. Screaming Females also completely tore it up opening.

Man it really bums me out to read Screaming Females are opening. They've been so good for so long.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Saw this band last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au9RGzNoGms

They were incredible. Never seen energy like that before

Lead singer is must go about 275, pure muscle. Front teeth knocked out

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Speaking of energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZrinyyCWHo

Gulch own

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
That's great, those guys are electric

I'm curious, does old school AFI still have any street cred in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqlMy-iKSDg

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I will always love old AFI.

New Pears album feels a bit more polished production-wise compared to the past but I’m still loving it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Every AFI song I ever tried to listen to just left me feeling like it was always about to get good and then it never does. It just seemed that like in a genre defined by extremes they never really do anything that intense or energetic. But I understand why they are popular.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Schremp Howard posted:

New Pears album feels a bit more polished production-wise compared to the past but I’m still loving it.
Considering they went into the studio with not much of a plan it's a work of PureArt™.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bust Rodd posted:

It just seemed that like in a genre defined by extremes they never really do anything that intense or energetic.

I wonder if seeing them live would’ve helped, Davey was always absolutely brimming with energy.

Converge were that band for me, didn’t click or stand out until seeing them and then I was instantly converted.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AFI has two albums that I absolutely love, Black Sails in the Sunset & The Art of Drowning. Include the All Hallows EP in there, too. Those are insanely good. Everything before them is kinda meh and everything after is garbage. I saw them live in 2009 and even when they played older stuff it was... not good. Davey Havok had a lot of energy but it wasn’t well spent imo.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

AFI has two albums that I absolutely love, Black Sails in the Sunset & The Art of Drowning. Include the All Hallows EP in there, too. Those are insanely good. Everything before them is kinda meh and everything after is garbage. I saw them live in 2009 and even when they played older stuff it was... not good. Davey Havok had a lot of energy but it wasn’t well spent imo.

Sing the Sorrow still bangs IMO, but that might just be my inner emo teen nostalgia.

Everything since has felt like trying to recapture the magic/energy of Sing the Sorrow and failed more or less miserably.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean we’ve all got bands that we love who just kept trying to make the same record forever and never tried to grow up or evolve

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I saw them live in 2009 and even when they played older stuff it was... not good. Davey Havok had a lot of energy but it wasn’t well spent imo.

Highlighted the problem.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

I will always love old AFI.

I was not expecting the references in 'Dial Up', also in agreement I'm loving the album.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean we’ve all got bands that we love who just kept trying to make the same record forever and never tried to grow up or evolve

AFI tried to change it up and it backfired horribly, everything from Crash Love forward....yuck.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 10, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
16 year old me liked Decemberunderground. :colbert:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Decemberunderground is the logical endpoint of the gothy-electronic direction they started in when Jade Puget joined.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The recent album is a decent companion to decemberunderground. I thought crash love was embarrassing and I didn't bother with burials but apparently it's only slightly better.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Everything after Black Sails is boring

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Band consistently got worse when Jade joined.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have no idea who that is, which I guess says everything about how much attention I pay them these days.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have no idea who that is, which I guess says everything about how much attention I pay them these days.
He's the guitar player that's been in the group since Black Sails, which was in like, 1999?

DISCUSSION QUESTION: What was the deal with all the electronic side projects from pop-punk dudes in the mid-to-late 00s?

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 11, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Electronic music is cool and fun to make, they were already musicians and had money to spend on cool new experimental digital equipment.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Highlighted the problem.

Gallows was the opener and it was back when Frank was still in the band so they were loving amazing.

Edit: it ruled because a bunch of teenage girls came to see AFI with their moms and had already parked themselves in the front of the pit, thinking they could just wait through the opener. They did not appreciate the people moshing during Gallows, they especially didn’t like it when Frank pushed his way into the pit and sang from there. My 23-year-old self found it amusing.

I had just gotten out of a bad breakup and The Art of Drowning was one of the albums that helped me through it. The other one being Coral Fang by The Distillers, of course.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 11, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oh, Danzig.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/danzig-does-elvis-la-tickets-cost-169/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is Danzig good? I don’t mind admitting my only exposure to him is his level in Guitar Hero. I’ve never heard any of his other music, but I do remember when someone hacked his Facebook and posted a bunch memes making fun of him. That owned.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Danzig good? I don’t mind admitting my only exposure to him is his level in Guitar Hero. I’ve never heard any of his other music, but I do remember when someone hacked his Facebook and posted a bunch memes making fun of him. That owned.

Misfits are good. Samhain are decent. Danzig is alright.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Moe_Rahn posted:

He's the guitar player that's been in the group since Black Sails, which was in like, 1999?

Ah I think assuming it was a girl member that I just hadn’t ever noticed screwed me there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It also owned when he gave a fan poo poo and got KTFO

Misfits is pretty solid, and the first 2 Danzig albums are good

I'm fairly sure I've never listened to Samhain.

With the exception of Dig Up Her Bones, all post Danzig Mifits is pretty lovely. But the segment on Daily Show where Graves defends the concept of being both punk and Republican is loving hilarious.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 11, 2020

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
AFI loving suck

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
The first three Misfits records are stone cold classics. Danzig (the band) is good up to like... 4? That's about the record where I tuned out, anyways. Samhain is the necessary bridge between the two.

Post-Danzig Misfits. Ugh.

American Psycho is okay but gets so samey that even though the record's only 38 minutes it feels like it's about twenty minutes too long. Famous Monsters is maybe 1/4 okay and 3/4 trash (and both albums with Graves are mixed like poo poo). Anything with Jerry Only singing is garbage. I at least have a little bit of respect for Project 1950 because you can tell it's his goofy passion project, and the affection for those songs from his childhood is genuine, but it's just really poorly done. The Devil's Rain is rotten fruit from a lovely tree.

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 12, 2020

Parachute
May 18, 2003
imo you only really need misfits collection 1 and and maybe like 45 minutes worth of various songs from danzig 1-3 to what you need. i really like his voice and a lot of his lyrics tbh, but that elvis thing sounds so stupid lmao.

a great song written by glenn danzig & lol at the thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6h1FnuJciE

edit: what the hell another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2apXO0RXYo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Ok I get the Graves era Misfits hate, but there is some good poo poo mixed in there. There's 52 ways to murder anyone...