Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Suitable hardware"?

Two keyboards hooked up to one PC?

Nah, the second dev just gets a big backspace key, like a driving instructor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

prom candy posted:

So I'm having a pretty hard time staying focused at work lately, anyone have any suggestions for getting into flow state when it's just not coming? It seems like my brain is just bouncing off the walls trying to think of anything except what I need to be working on.

take breaks, put some headphones on playing music (i like electronic/classical depending on my mood), minimize distractions (phone/browser)
meditating is also really great for this kind of thing but not something i'd do at work

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Music is super critical for me. I completely tune it out and can't remember what I've been listening to when I'm typing. But if there's a break in my thoughts, the music keeps me from getting distracted by something else.

Headphones are like an instant 20% production boost.

It also helps that our dev environment is in a VDI that doesn't have access to email or chat. No popups or chimes or glowing taskbars constantly pulling attention.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Music is super critical for me. I completely tune it out and can't remember what I've been listening to when I'm typing. But if there's a break in my thoughts, the music keeps me from getting distracted by something else.

Headphones are like an instant 20% production boost.

It also helps that our dev environment is in a VDI that doesn't have access to email or chat. No popups or chimes or glowing taskbars constantly pulling attention.

It's fascinating how people work differently. I can't have music playing while I'm working, I get too distracted by it and end up fiddling constantly. Silence / background noise only for me.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

pomodoro method is a great way to get focused and productive for the first couple of months after you start it. after that everyone inevitably gets less diligent about it and its effectiveness suffers but hey, at least you got the two months

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I can't have music with lyrics, but anything instrumental/with a good beat is amazing for productivity.

Really like Ratatat for this purpose.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Sometimes you can't force the flow. I use a combo of Pomodoros (set a daily target and achieve it) as well as a physical notebook to write down everything I need to do as I do it. For me a lot of the time my "stuckness" is a matter of either 1. not knowing something I need to know (poorly specc'd requirements) or 2. being overwhelmed by a huge number of parallel tasks.

Writing down a plan for what I intend to do helps because I can braindump everything and address them one-by-one. Plus it's satisfying to strike things off my list.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I guess I really need to start meditating since it seems like everywhere I go people are recommending it. I tried it a bunch in January but I found it extremely boring.

Headphones are hit and miss for me, sometimes it's great but I'm also a musician so sometimes I go from passive listener to intently focusing and trying to figure out how a song is put together.

I think a lot of it comes down to not knowing what's next. Having questions around the stories I'm working on that cause me to just grind to a halt, or else getting too caught up in the bigger picture of all the things I need to do to complete the larger feature and then getting overwhelmed.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The Fool posted:

I can't have music with lyrics, but anything instrumental/with a good beat is amazing for productivity.

Really like Ratatat for this purpose.

What's up ratatat-while-programming buddy :hfive:

I have entire albums memorized from listening in the background on repeat while I type away.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

prom candy posted:

So I'm having a pretty hard time staying focused at work lately, anyone have any suggestions for getting into flow state when it's just not coming? It seems like my brain is just bouncing off the walls trying to think of anything except what I need to be working on.

Get diagnosed with ADD and use meds. Works for me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Keetron posted:

Get diagnosed with ADD and use meds. Works for me.

I've often wondered because the comorbidity with all my fun anxiety disorders is pretty high but any testing I've done comes back negative.

I also enjoy Ratatat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

prom candy posted:

I guess I really need to start meditating since it seems like everywhere I go people are recommending it. I tried it a bunch in January but I found it extremely boring.

To some degree, that is the point.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/careers/jobs/229713254864749?_rdc=1&_rdr

Just a job ad, it seems.

But this sentence is interesting:

"Our biggest and the most challenging project is evolving Erlang into a modern statically typed programming language. "

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.facebook.com/careers/jobs/229713254864749?_rdc=1&_rdr

Just a job ad, it seems.

But this sentence is interesting:

"Our biggest and the most challenging project is evolving Erlang into a modern statically typed programming language. "

Also curious is that the list of similar fluencies: OCAML and SML (and Haskell and Scala) but no F# in there, despite it being just another ML dialect at heart.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Did F# ever go any where? I don't hear that much about it even among the functional programming crowd.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ultrafilter posted:

Did F# ever go any where? I don't hear that much about it even among the functional programming crowd.

I thought it was still where new c# features came from. Tooling is miserable though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ultrafilter posted:

At least as of 2017 it was not really in broad use but did have a following.

quote:

C# is used by millions of people.
Strategy for C#
We will keep growing C# to meet the evolving needs of developers and remain a state of the art programming language. We will innovate aggressively, while being very careful to stay within the spirit of the language.
Visual Basic is used by hundreds of thousands of people.
Strategy for Visual Basic
We will keep Visual Basic straightforward and approachable. We will do everything necessary to keep it a first class citizen of the .NET ecosystem: When API shapes evolve as a result of new C# features, for instance, consuming those APIs should feel natural in VB.
F# is used by tens of thousands of people and shows great actual and potential growth.
We will enable and encourage strong community participation in F# by continuing to build the necessary infrastructure and tooling to complement community contributions. We will make F# the best-tooled functional language on the market, by improving the language and tooling experience, removing road blocks for contributions, and addressing pain points to narrow the experience gap with C# and VB. As new language features appear in C#, we will ensure that they also interoperate well with F#.
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/the-net-language-strategy/

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

leper khan posted:

I thought it was still where new c# features came from. Tooling is miserable though.

At the rate C# is going functional, it'll be another language version or two before it's basically "F# but with 2-3 times as many lines of code to do the same thing"

It's a slow-growth language and while one of the major users of it is American (Wal-Mart), it seems like it's got more of an uptick across Europe, based anecdotally on the official F# slack.

Tooling is in a comfortable state - it'll feel *very* sparse coming from something like C# where you have 4500 different refactorings and analysis highlighters. But the language doesn't require a lot to get going, and the compiler does a lot of the heavy lifting, so some of that doesn't really make sense in-context. (Though there are a few rough edges that could be smoothed out).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had a guy ask me if he should "consolidate his partitions."

He's on a laptop with a SSD+HDD. He filled up the 256GB SSD, never touched the 1TB HDD, and thinks the solution is to, uh, consolidate partitions.

This guy has the title "Coordinator of Technology" so... take that for what you will.

Half tempted just to tell him to go for it to see what he does, but it'll probably backfire on me, so guess I'm also IT today.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
He just wants to coordinate both of those technologies though :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Coordinator of Inflated Paychecks and Pencil Art on Desk.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
One of our product managers just asked for "someone" to jump onto a call with a customer, no context, reason or information of any kind provided.

Turns out I'm still at lunch and didn't notice at all. :yikes:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I apologize in advance. I just wrote a bot that will mass-message all first-degree contacts on LinkedIn using Selenium.

We're just using it to try and generate leads... cause I already lost one of my jobs due to COVID-19.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Protocol7 posted:

I apologize in advance. I just wrote a bot that will mass-message all first-degree contacts on LinkedIn using Selenium.

We're just using it to try and generate leads... cause I already lost one of my jobs due to COVID-19.

I cannot wait to hear about how my background makes me an exciting candidate for your big data job.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

I cannot wait to hear about how my background makes me an exciting candidate for your big data job.

Not that kind of bot thankfully. One of our bigger clients just went under due to the Coronavirus so it’s basically a last ditch effort to keep the company alive.

Not proud of it by any measure, but if it keeps the paychecks flowing for at least one more pay period...

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 22, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm thinking about picking up a new skill because I work for a small startup and I wouldn't minding having an even more well rounded resume just in case we don't make it through this poo poo. My two main areas of expertise are React and Ruby on Rails. I'm also good at implementing UIs in whatever front end tools you want to throw at me. The two things I'm deciding between are Node (since it's widely used and I already know and love Typescript) and iOS (because it would be an entirely new thing for me and it's something I've always wanted to learn.)

Any thoughts on which direction to go in? Anybody else gonna channel their constant dread into self-improvement?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a new skill because I work for a small startup and I wouldn't minding having an even more well rounded resume just in case we don't make it through this poo poo. My two main areas of expertise are React and Ruby on Rails. I'm also good at implementing UIs in whatever front end tools you want to throw at me. The two things I'm deciding between are Node (since it's widely used and I already know and love Typescript) and iOS (because it would be an entirely new thing for me and it's something I've always wanted to learn.)

Any thoughts on which direction to go in? Anybody else gonna channel their constant dread into self-improvement?

Do like me and switch to Flutter.
It is cool and good and both iOS and Android capable.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

prom candy posted:

while i love TS node as well, if you already do react it won't be radically different (you just won't be playing around with JSX). mobile development though is different, and i imagine would be more interesting.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gildiss posted:

I put some time into React Native a while back and kind of regret it. Maybe Flutter is a lot better than RN but I think I want to learn the real deal. Kept running into important stuff that people were like "oh yeah that doesn't really work in RN"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gildiss posted:

flutter looks cool, but I can't help but have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to google products

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Fool posted:

flutter looks cool, but I can't help but have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to google products

don't worry, the bad taste will go away with the product in 6-12 months

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I just assume Flutter is whoever was responsible for Dart trying to retroactively make it not a bad idea.

Err, you do still have to use Dart, right?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

prom candy posted:

I put some time into React Native a while back and kind of regret it. Maybe Flutter is a lot better than RN but I think I want to learn the real deal. Kept running into important stuff that people were like "oh yeah that doesn't really work in RN"

Do you have examples of what kind of stuff RN is bad at?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Navigation was the big one at the time (like moving around your app, not mapping.) There were a bunch of different packages and none of them quite worked right. One company that was a big adopter of RN had a setup where their navigation was built in native code but each individual area was part of the RN package.

The build tools were another issue. The dev server would just crash a lot of the time and require full restarts to get back up and running. This was a couple years ago. After AirBnb abandoned it I never looked back into it, I'm sure a lot of issues are solved now.

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Java is a good skill if youre looking to remain employed... Maybe not as fun and exciting projects but there is lots pf work there.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
yeah, i'd think about considering flutter if it's still around in 5 years

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cyka blyat posted:

Java is a good skill if youre looking to remain employed... Maybe not as fun and exciting projects but there is lots pf work there.

I think I've been too poisoned against it to really give it a fair shake. It's not "cool" and like most of you I got into this business to be cool.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oh dear, it finally happened to me.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

cyka blyat posted:

For the love of god use Kotlin if you're going to do native Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Munkeymon posted:

I just assume Flutter is whoever was responsible for Dart trying to retroactively make it not a bad idea.

Err, you do still have to use Dart, right?

AFAICT Flutter picked Dart specifically because Dart had no users and so the Dart people were willing to reshape the language to exactly fit what Flutter wants.