Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even early on the Scooby Doo movies and spinoffs tend to do whatever the gently caress they want, and there's even a theme of them encountering the genuine supernatural, sometimes with some fake outs. There's at least one case where the genuine supernatural creatures are actually friendly while the fake ones are dangerous.

Not even counting the crossover with Supernatural. (Which may surprise some people as a major point is that Mystery Inc are completely surprised by encountering the genuine supernatural, as well as cartoon physics becoming more realistic, but makes sense when you realise the episode has the Supernatural characters literally dropped into a first series episode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I went to an animation mixer last night and man, I didn’t realize the extent of reverse outsourcing. Vfx companies are out in force to grab Canadians to work on Bollywood movies and cartoon series from south east asia. Also did you know we’re getting a Rock Dog 2 and 3? From that movie that made 24 million against a 60 million production budget? Well animators in Montreal do, cause they’re the ones working on it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I watched Onward today and I felt like it was fine, but needed a few more story passes to get the emotional effects they were going for. Seemed pretty light on jokes for a Pixar flick (I felt the same way about Toy Story 4).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hawkperson posted:

I watched Onward today and I felt like it was fine, but needed a few more story passes to get the emotional effects they were going for. Seemed pretty light on jokes for a Pixar flick (I felt the same way about Toy Story 4).

Christ, that's not an endorsement. Toy Story 4 wasn't bad, it just happened.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Onward has some cute moments in it, but most of it is paint-by-numbers. I wish the movie embraced more of its weirdness (the Manticore’s manic energy is a highlight instead of relying on cloying sentimentality.

Also, The Simpsons short before the movie isn’t great.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Christ, that's not an endorsement. Toy Story 4 wasn't bad, it just happened.

I mostly meant joke-wise as a comparison; Onward is wayyyy better than Toy Story 4. I finished TS4 and wanted my money back; I watched Onward and was just kinda sad at what could have been with more polish.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Argue posted:

Huh, didn't expect this but the apparent bad guy is Dick Dastardly.

Just pure speculation based on the trailer for Scoob: Bluie Falcon is secretly the real villain and the gang needs to team up with Dick Dastardly to save the day.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

"'Onward': An animated fantasy film revolving around the far-fetched premise that anyone could ever love their dad enough to want to bring him back to life."

https://entertainment.theonion.com/the-onion-reviews-onward-1842150686

loving beautiful

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

what happened at pixar to make them lose their spark

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Uncle Wemus posted:

One pretty convincing theory I saw was that it can be tied back to the disney buyout: Up was the last film pixar made that was already partially in production before the buyout happened (worth noting the person I saw come up with the theory held the unpopular opinion of "Toy Story 3 is bad")

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Inside Out had good moments, in comparison to a lot of recent Disney offerings. The one I would point to as being a clue for things not being amazing was with Brave and all the behind the scenes drama there

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As one of the people Inside Out just didn't work for: if I could pick one word to describe Pixar's movies for most of the past decade it would be "forced". They used to be so bouyant and energetic and full of imagination, and now... They still usually have some strong core idea, but it feels like all the excitement fades after the idea stage but they still just have to make the movie anyway. It's a stark contrast with a movie like Spiderverse or even Boss Baby where it feels like everyone involved was having a blast.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

For all of its unevenness in recent years, I will say I'm pretty excited for Pixar's second movie this year: Soul.

-Written/Directed by Pete Doctor
-Soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
-Questlove is in it
-Jazz

I... don't think Trent and Atticus are doing any of the actual jazz music for the movie but if they are...? :stwoon:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 8, 2020

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I saw Onward and all I could think of was Peter Parker on a road trip with Rex Dangervest

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ballz posted:

For all of its unevenness in recent years, I will say I'm pretty excited for Pixar's second movie this year: Soul.

-Questlove is in it
-Jazz

I... don't think Trent and Atticus are doing any of the actual jazz music for the movie but if they are...? :stwoon:

John Batiste is also involved, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLL23l79KU

They'll probably do more than you'd think. (They are also scoring some movie about Citizen Kane which is only going to use period-appropriate instruments.)

That's definitely a must-see movie for me as well, though I remain skeptical about it, especially since on the surface it sounds so much like Coco.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uncle Wemus posted:

Part of it is stories working for an audience at the time, part of it is likely not fostering enough new talent through the years, and part of it is that the innovation is less fresh when applied over the course of 25 years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They keep making money exactly as they are.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Plus now they don't need to worry about accidentally deleting one of their movies. It's smooth sailing for Pixar, no need to rock the boat.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think it's a combo of Pixar finding a formula that works and pounding it to death, John Lasseter stifling any creative competition especially from women - then having him ousted (rightfully) along with Disney taking more control over the process.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think Disney animation studios is probably poaching most of the talent these days. I don't think its coincidence that the resurgence of Disney's main animation studio started happening right after Pixar was acquired.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ballz posted:

-Questlove is in it
-Jazz

Pete Docter is by far the best Pixar director. Brad Bird and Andrew Stanton are tied for second.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think Disney animation studios is probably poaching most of the talent these days. I don't think its coincidence that the resurgence of Disney's main animation studio started happening right after Pixar was acquired.

This would not surprise me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Superstar talent like Dice Tatsumi also don’t enjoy being part of a big corporate machine, that’s why they go form their own studios.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
seeing trolls 2 trailers reminded me i never got the first one on bluray. so naturally stores nearby don't have it :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can’t wait to see the new Pixar movie

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Looper posted:

seeing trolls 2 trailers reminded me i never got the first one on bluray. so naturally stores nearby don't have it :(

You could wait for a special 2-pack with features and stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seems like the thus-hidden (aside from one quick frame) King Thrash is the likely antag of Trolls World Tour. Voiced by Ozzie Ozbourne!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bet that recording session took about a year to do.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I know that's a mockbuster made for 300 bucks in under 6 months, but "Orc-Tastic" and "Elvish" aren't even puns.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Couldn't they at least have made the Orc green or something.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The orc looks like wreck it Ralph with some fangs

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
“Did you get my mock up of the cover art for Homeward?”
“Mock up?”
“Yeah, I wanted to get the poses and layout approved before adding the background.”
“We shipped it already.”
“You...you what?”
“Last week. We needed to move the product ASAP to cover costs. Tom Green needs his $500.”

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I can’t wait to see the new Pixar movie

Is that frog kid t posing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I know that's a mockbuster made for 300 bucks in under 6 months, but "Orc-Tastic" and "Elvish" aren't even puns.

There’s a guy down the chip shop who swears he’s Elvish.[1]

[1] Joke copyright T. Pratchett 1994

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 11, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/pixar/status/1237787733277331456

Soul trailer drops tomorrow!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It’s Coco day at my office tomorrow (we have a theme and allow costumes once per week during tax season to keep us from getting too emotionally drained), and I had completely forgotten about the movie. Which is a shame because I’d count it as one of the better post-Disney Pixar offerings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its by far my favorite Pixar movie entirely on the basis of musical selection, so enjoy.

Its darn good in Spanish (I might say better)

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Here's that new trailer for SOUL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsLIiBStEs

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Soul certainly looks a lot more interesting then Onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pixeltendo posted:

Soul certainly looks a lot more interesting then Onward.

The animation alone looks great, definitely more interested in seeing it than pretty much any of Pixar's other offerings the past few years.