Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

poparena posted:

More baby boomer television on Nick Knacks, this time My Three Sons, a surprisingly inventive 60s sitcom that none the less is pretty racist and sexist because it's a 60s sitcom.

I met Tina Cole a few times when I worked for an I Love Lucy Impersonator (lipsync varient; also the lucy impersonator did it as a side job to running a singing and dance lessons studio in their home which I did the yard work around) that would hire for for whenever they needed an Ethel for the chocolate belt bit. Tina was a polite person and I don't got anything else to add to that other than this advice: metal sprinklers were better because I don't have to flush out part of the goddamn plastic sprinkler head just because I hit it slightly with a lawnmower wheel. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

interested to see the next episode on mister ed. i liked watching that show as a kid with my grandma because it had a talking horse, but i haven't seen it in prolly at least 25 years so i'm curious if it actually has any merit whatsoever behind 'lol the horse talks and says wiiiiiillllbuuuurrrrr'.

Alan Young also voiced Scrooge McDuck. That's pretty cool.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New Deep Dives on Street Fighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWDUM4ve60

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of fighting games, the AVGN reviewed Mortal Kombat ports to different consuls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUtXD27UyQ

Also it looks like the next episode is on Mortal Kombat Rip-offs

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

And it feels like later they don't even particularly care about her race, just that she's not wearing cargo pants or whatever. It's much more about dress code.

That bit amused me, but it did make me wonder that given those people have no concept of an outside world or other races, that maybe they just assumed Lara has some messed up skin condition. Plus the Hitman franchise has seriously lowered my standards as to what constitutes an acceptable disguise.

The carabiner clips on her belt got to me though. She hides all her guns from these people, even when she's under direct attack, but she won't swap the clips out for some rope. I know you can tie a quick release knot Lara. Stop stealing all their poo poo for two seconds and fix this.

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.
A while back, I promised the thread I was making something about Dark Souls. Well, it's not done, but I'm near an epicenter and not feeling great. Maybe this is premature, but I'm worried I'll wake up and forget everything.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/199k-7ckI_rfAKdi63Wvjqziop17becdlwiHNGb66kkk/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully someone out there enjoys this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:master: putting out this video on a Tuesday

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Noah Caldwell-Gervais critiques Outer Worlds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpxidRlZyXc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He also critiques Wolfenstein Youngblood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvINeAlslSs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's nice to hear about the game's issues - and he's right, it's fun if you've got a friend - from somebody who does not bury the lead under 'oh my god you're playing teenage girls get woke go broke' etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I wish all Youtube thumbnails were like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79oU_VI9FY

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

It's nice to hear about the game's issues - and he's right, it's fun if you've got a friend - from somebody who does not bury the lead under 'oh my god you're playing teenage girls get woke go broke' etc.

was that common...? i feel like i heard a ton of criticism that focused on the combat and the lack of more main character involvement once you get past the prologue, from pretty major outlets. maybe i just missed it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Augus posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked the Outer Worlds, but it was definitely bland, playing it safe. I hope Obsidian does better.

As for Youngblood, it was a massive step down from New Colossus, which was itself a step down from New Order. At this point, I don't have high hopes for the franchise.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

I liked the Outer Worlds, but it was definitely bland, playing it safe. I hope Obsidian does better.

As for Youngblood, it was a massive step down from New Colossus, which was itself a step down from New Order. At this point, I don't have high hopes for the franchise.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next installment is another smaller entry. There was definitely a sense when Youngblood was on the way that Machinegames was trying new things to see where they could move forward and it certainly seems like the answer was "not here." I haven't played YG yet so I can't speak from experience. But the next Wolfenstein title may well be another experiment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Youngblood is more comparable to The Old Blood, if anything, and while I don't think it's quite as good as TOB, it's not as big of a quality drop and YB is perfectly acceptable as TNC's TOB-equivalent.

Like, the Wolfensteins have kinda settled into a groove of main game -> experimental side game -> main game, and I'm kinda okay with that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not sure what it was about New Colossus but I couldn't get into it near as much as TNO. I don't think I even finished the game.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TNC focused too much on trying to show you locations to make you go "wow!" rather than focusing on narrative and just let BJ's self-pitying monologues do the heavy lifting.

I still enjoyed it but it wasn't the adventure that TNO was.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'm not sure what it was about New Colossus but I couldn't get into it near as much as TNO. I don't think I even finished the game.

It's the lack of Jimmy Hendrix to drop acid with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That was also a factor.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like it's basically the Saints Row 2 -> 3 thing. The first game did all this stuff that people loved, and did so organically, without trying to force it. Then everyone loved it, so the sequel is trying to be The Same But More, but it feels a lot more forced because they're actually actively trying to do it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The New Colossus is a fun game but it struggles in a few aspects. Scope is one. Going to the moon was a huge effort in TNO. In TNC you go to loving Venus with something like one scene transition.

The nazis are also a near insurmountable threat in TNO. In TNC you start with a super advanced near undetectable submarine loaded advanced airships and several nukes at your disposal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There also wasn't anything like Max Hass's storyline in TNO as I recall?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I also wish they would have kept the occult angle of "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" Mixing advanced tech with occult stuff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Augus posted:

He definitely touched on something that really soured the game: in its basic design, the maps are quite small, but with an extraordinary amount of "stuff" crammed in - fights, loots, etc. Consequently, even just travelling from location to location is an exhausting grind, because you're fighting the same enemies over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. When I load up a Fallout game, I'm actively picking up poo poo all the time. In Outer World, I found myself ignoring half the loot, and just breaking down any weapons I found. Plus, the shotgun-type weapons sucked poo poo.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The latest reupload on Lindsay's archive channel is about pre-Youtube viral videos. Number 2 features a Something Awful connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVU7mqSbzpM

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Katt posted:

The New Colossus is a fun game but it struggles in a few aspects. Scope is one. Going to the moon was a huge effort in TNO. In TNC you go to loving Venus with something like one scene transition.

The nazis are also a near insurmountable threat in TNO. In TNC you start with a super advanced near undetectable submarine loaded advanced airships and several nukes at your disposal.

tbf on that latter point, getting from A to B there was pretty much the plot of TNO, and I kind of like that they had BJ's accomplishments actually matter and result in a coherent, solid movement against the Nazis

it would have frankly sucked way worse if TNC set everything back to square one

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcDT1rXMvU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbf on that latter point, getting from A to B there was pretty much the plot of TNO, and I kind of like that they had BJ's accomplishments actually matter and result in a coherent, solid movement against the Nazis

it would have frankly sucked way worse if TNC set everything back to square one

Yeah I actually really enjoyed the sense of power you have with the Da'at Yichud super-tech. Makes it seem a little less unlikely that a tiny crew could take down a Nazi global empire.

I'm frequently someone who hates what everyone likes so tbh I'm kind of surprised that I really liked The New Colossus as much or more than the first one. I liked the difficulty, I liked the setpieces, I even liked the thing where you have 50 health and 200 armor in the beginning. The only complaint I really have is that the game makes you restart from a checkpoint if you step on Hitler's head.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 14, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Katt posted:

i dont mind that as much. TNO was all about the rebellion getting on there feet and TNC was empire strikes back type deal. the resistance has the power to hurt the nazis but they are still few in number and such. like sure you can wipe out nazis and do raids, but they have a star destroyer that can smash the u-boat to death.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the next installment is another smaller entry. There was definitely a sense when Youngblood was on the way that Machinegames was trying new things to see where they could move forward and it certainly seems like the answer was "not here." I haven't played YG yet so I can't speak from experience. But the next Wolfenstein title may well be another experiment.

maybe. i could see a BJs adventures in america type deal. i suspect they are sticking with three though.

Arcsquad12 posted:

he is so right about that game. but he missed a point about timeline/demention stuff. its not a "he found where WW2 is won by the allies" its "he found the timeline where he kills hitler and it all works out" i suspect that the wyatt timeline is the "happy ending" timeline because of all the Wyatt tripping out and finding the keys to dementions/etc" while the fergus plot doesn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah but the Fergus timeline is better, Hendrix or not

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah but the Fergus timeline is better, Hendrix or not

they both have their pros. but yeah thats my assumption at least. I am just pumped for doom eternal. my states/county is on lockdown so i will get to play it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Man, I'm glad for that. It'd suck if you took the U-Boat in the first game only to lose it immediately like you're Samus or something.

My main problem with TNC and Youngblood is just that the level design isn't good enough still. I kept not knowing where I'm going in the game, and also the hit detection for you taking damage wasn't great, also not picking up ammo just by walking over it except sometimes???

Youngblood made levels even more confusing to navigate and I couldn't figure out what mission was story essential while I was playing it. Also dark levels sucked since Donkey Kong Country please stop making me do them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katt posted:

It's still functionally A solitary submarine though, and they can't just lob nukes at-will because the ones they have can't be replaced. The whole reason getting to Venus is easier than getting to the Moon is because they actually have resources, intel, and logistics to pull it off properly. Rather than severely winging a mission out of a few underground rooms on hope and prayer that could be found at any moment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have few problems with New Colossus's story apart from it being too short to justify how weird it gets in the second half. My big issues with it are all mechanical, since it has terrible hit detection, tons of hitscan weapons and not so great level design that is either too cramped or too open.

Most of my problems would be alleviated by armor working more like Doom where it is a second health bar rather than just a damage mitigator. That and maybe giving you some perks that restore armor on kills so you can gain and keep momentum. I know NCG says you can't really run and gun in Youngblood and TNC but it's actually pretty viable to rush commanders that way.

Really I wanted a few more months in the oven to hash out balancing issues and have a longer campaign rather than the lame Freedom Chronicles DLC missions.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

One of my issues with TNC is they they went from going around Europe with a diverse set of resistance fighters to America is all that matters, save America to save the world.
It's basically the same problem Assassin's creed 3 had, start off by going around different places and then get stuck in America which no one cares about if they aren't American.
I know that BJ is American and they kinda locked themselves in with the poem at the end of TNO but they should have gone to Russia , Africa or even South America instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hel posted:

One of my issues with TNC is they they went from going around Europe with a diverse set of resistance fighters to America is all that matters, save America to save the world.
It's basically the same problem Assassin's creed 3 had, start off by going around different places and then get stuck in America which no one cares about if they aren't American.
I know that BJ is American and they kinda locked themselves in with the poem at the end of TNO but they should have gone to Russia , Africa or even South America instead.

America is on the other side of the planet, away from the Nazi's seat of power and all their forces. Taking America makes perfect sense, because it's a far greater logistical effort to get ground and naval forces over there than somewhere in Europe. Gives them time to fortify, and rebuild a fighting force to go at Europe properly.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

America is on the other side of the planet, away from the Nazi's seat of power and all their forces. Taking America makes perfect sense, because it's a far greater logistical effort to get ground and naval forces over there than somewhere in Europe. Gives them time to fortify, and rebuild a fighting force to go at Europe properly.

lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well of course the actual answer is ":patriot::texas: Amurica, gently caress yeah", etc, but securing a location far from the Nazis that they can't just roll tanks and robot soldiers into immediately isn't that bad a move.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I mean it worked for WW2

And WW1 :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which also appiles to Africa, South America and lot's of Russia. The problem isn't that it's America, the problem is that it's always America and often only america and no other country. From memory TNO had Germany , Poland , England, Spain/Morrocco , the Bottom of the Ocean and the Moon while TNC had America , America, America and Venus featuring American President Ronald Reagan.

Leal posted:

I mean it worked for WW2

And WW1 :911:

Hel fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 14, 2020