Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DuckConference posted:

starting coughing this morning, trying not to jump to any conclusions
:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

DuckConference posted:

f

i wrapped up some stuff at the lab at work today. i noticed some buses have a partition in the front so people can't get too close to the driver. it was a nice day today but everything feels off. hope we don't get hit too hard.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

loving laffo the disney lobby is no drat joke
https://twitter.com/KendraJames_/status/1238160368385396737
disneyland, of course, being a place that has already been the site of multiple contagious disease outbreaks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah I'm amazed that they're still open and I wonder if that would be the case if Walt was still around

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
maybe there's so many pathogens floating around disneyland its kinda like this:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i can't tell if people are panicking here in the bay area or not. like, most of the tech employers are having people work from home, so the traffic is much lighter, but everyone who is doing actual work seems to still be doing it. construction across the street still going, coffee shops are open and have people, restaurants are open, grocery stores have normal stock of most things except hand sanitizer, people are chatting in groups and out walking their dogs like it ain't no thing

they cancelled the loving nba though that has to mean something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

imagine if my country closed its borders? we have less than ten confirmed cases. we could have even kept it lower

but no. aggressive boards of cash won’t let no lame rear end disease stop us. nz bows down to eat china’s rear end there ain’t no way we’re gonna do anything but open armed gently caress every diseased guest that comes onto our shores

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
it's as strong a reaction as you're likely to get without the government compelling people to stay home. I've certainly never seen anything like it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol
let’s get some “i survived coronavirus” t-shirts made coz well if you don’t it’s a moot point lol

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i picked up toilet paper yesterday, and i almost felt like saying to the clerk at the checkout, hey i'm not hoarding this i'm just low on stock and i'd rather not run out, it has nothing to do with corona. i bet corona isn't fun though! eventually someone will have a trip report

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

it's as strong a reaction as you're likely to get without the government compelling people to stay home. I've certainly never seen anything like it.

I pay off my student loan this month

just in time for society to collapse and debt become meaningless

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

I pay off my student loan this month

just in time for society to collapse and debt become meaningless

same but my car so at least the gas caravans will be easier on the ol water savings

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Machine posted:

i picked up toilet paper yesterday, and i almost felt like saying to the clerk at the checkout, hey i'm not hoarding this i'm just low on stock and i'd rather not run out, it has nothing to do with corona. i bet corona isn't fun though! eventually someone will have a trip report

every single person who comes in to the pharmacy to buy masks and sanitiser (we have neither) says “i’m not one of these idiot hoarders”

lmao had a woman come in and tell us about how she’s going on like ten flights and we were like “look we literally have this one display mask you can have it”, it was an n95 style mask but she said “no i’m looking for the surgical kind” 🙄 jesus lady we haven’t at any masks for weeks, no one has

oh and lol at buying toilet paper. way to admit you poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also lol medical centres won’t let acutely unwell patients go near them, so they fax us prescriptions and ask we take the drugs out to them “oh casual interactions don’t count”

lol anyone wanna swap jobs

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
580 looked pretty busy in the evening still but I also feel like it was mostly just the heavy trucks and contractors left

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

also lol medical centres won’t let acutely unwell patients go near them, so they fax us prescriptions and ask we take the drugs out to them “oh casual interactions don’t count”

lol anyone wanna swap jobs

drone drop the bag into their hands like some amazon for drugs

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

all the schools and universities etc are closing in France from Monday, taxes for businesses for March are being deferred, and they're encouraging the use of temporary unemployment for businesses which can no longer run (gov pays some large portion of salaries for a period of time)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Problem with being remote normally is that you can't just start doing gently caress all during mandatory wfh like everyone else

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

over here in Estonia: all schools closing on Monday and border checks are gonna be re-instated, whatever that means.
joining the wfh crew from tomorrow, no company mandate yet (probably because customer support & AML use Mac Minis and they don't want to let them take them home, not just yet ha) and instead this was used as an opportunity to force people to have to ask their line managers to approve WFH via this dumb HR tool we use

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Was supposed to spend this evening doing an after-hours upgrade of some stuff in a production environment, but it was just postponed indefinitely because the customer's entire staff just got the WFH order and it's chaos

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

here in massachusetts, many suburban area schools are closed, but not inner city; most likely because many parents cannot afford child care. also all working class are forced to work (a lot of times in busy places), or be fired. a sad state of affairs, really. just wait another few weeks and things are going to become helpless, unless we slow the spread as much as we can

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's difficult to stop the spread because a lot of people are asymptomatic while contagious for a week or more. what's going to be interesting is when cases reach critical mass and people start dying because we're out of ventilators (this is already happening in iran)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

the law won't let me do my job from home :qq:

move into the pharmacy

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Broken Machine posted:

it's difficult to stop the spread because a lot of people are asymptomatic while contagious for a week or more. what's going to be interesting is when cases reach critical mass and people start dying because we're out of ventilators (this is already happening in iran)

probably impossible to "stop" it, but slowing it is vital to have countries around the world actually be able to handle the massive influx of hospitalizations. many of Italy's best hospitals was filled to "200%" capacity, and they quickly ran out of the essentials to treat people who were at risk of dying (like a common respirator), which, in conjunction with the higher number of older people there, caused a larger number to die than should have

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

qirex posted:

halloween is going to be wild this year with everyone in the burbs having 3 cargo pallets of it in their garages

you come home from a halloween party and your entire house is mummified

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m personally hoarding a few masks and antibiotics too. gotta be some perks

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Angryhead posted:

over here in Estonia: all schools closing on Monday and border checks are gonna be re-instated, whatever that means.
joining the wfh crew from tomorrow, no company mandate yet (probably because customer support & AML use Mac Minis and they don't want to let them take them home, not just yet ha) and instead this was used as an opportunity to force people to have to ask their line managers to approve WFH via this dumb HR tool we use

hello fellow estonia goon, fingers crossed that the neonazis in the government keel over asap instead of abusing these circumstances.

DuckConference posted:

same here, i am puttin it down to averse effects of not really going outside since last tuesday

stocked up on foods and stuff today, hopefully won't be going to work until the next few weeks pass

pointsofdata posted:

all the schools and universities etc are closing in France from Monday, taxes for businesses for March are being deferred, and they're encouraging the use of temporary unemployment for businesses which can no longer run (gov pays some large portion of salaries for a period of time)

i watched macron's speech today but since my french is still poo poo i only understood about schools closing and employers encouraged to do wfh. on the streets there did not seem to be any change (yet) but then i only skipped across the street to the grocery store so maybe we will get toilet paper riots here as well shortly

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

i’m personally hoarding a few masks and antibiotics too. gotta be some perks

do those 5 cent masks really do anything? i've heard it may help if you are contaminated by preventing the spread tiny particles of water from your mouth into the air, but it doesn't work the other way around. also i've heard the holes in those masks that allow you to breath are much too large to keep out any viruses floating around airborne.

e: antibiotics don't work for this coronavirus

from world health organization:

quote:

Are antibiotics effective in preventing and treating the new coronavirus?

No, antibiotics do not work against viruses, only bacteria.

The new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a virus and, therefore, antibiotics should not be used as a means of prevention or treatment.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 12, 2020

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what good are antibiotics going to do against a virus efb

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

do those 5 cent masks really do anything? i've heard it may help if you are contaminated by preventing the spread tiny particles of water from your mouth into the air, but it doesn't work the other way around. also i've heard the holes in those masks that allow you to breath are much too large to keep out any viruses floating around airborne.

well poo poo

only one option left then

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
trying my remote desktop setup for if (when) we have to wfh and it turns out that theres a magic group policy option to enable something called RemoteFX that makes remote desktop do video streaming and our poo poo can run at a perfectly usable 30 fps through that

yet i was still told today that if we wfh we'd pretty much have to take our PCs home until they can get citrix running otherwise we would barely be able to work

i wonder if like not one single computer janitor in our entire 16k employee company knew about that RemoteFX stuff lol

(trying to make my xbox controller work through that makes my remote pc reboot tho, thx microsoft)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

burning swine posted:

well poo poo

woah Brace

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

burning swine posted:

well poo poo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

lol

imagine if my country closed its borders? we have less than ten confirmed cases. we could have even kept it lower

but no. aggressive boards of cash won’t let no lame rear end disease stop us. nz bows down to eat china’s rear end there ain’t no way we’re gonna do anything but open armed gently caress every diseased guest that comes onto our shores

I’m more worried about the outbreaks of mumps, measles and rheumatic fever that seems to be spreading through this land. I’m not over 65 so I don’t really care about a contagious flu. I am more worried about god drat measles mumps and TB

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Good Sphere posted:

e: antibiotics don't work for this coronavirus

from world health organization:

I really hope that echi, who is a pharmacist, knows this and is just hoarding the antibiotics to sell after the apocalypse. otherwise that's a big old :whitewater:

In other news I liberated a bottle of hand sanitizer from work last week and now Amazon is telling me it's worth ninety dollars.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

germany.png

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Covid-19 fucks up your immune system and makes you susceptible to other poo poo, so if you save them for later could be a smart move.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i hit up the grocery outlet and stocked up on the essentials. you know, pop tarts, white claw, thos beans

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

managements starting to get more jittery and is probably going to wfh the entire computer touching department

stocked up on beans of all varieties :cool::coffee:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Broken Machine posted:

sir i am buying these paper towels because im out i am not looking to wipe my rear end with them like these other desperate losers