Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I cried a bunch at the end of TD season 1 but also that was years ago and I wasn't on antidepressants then and I hadn't read Ligotti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

itt a lot of severely depressed people mad that the cop show didnt validate their nihilism

the last shot, after cohle talks about the light, is of a completely lightless night sky. the only light in the shot is manmade, from the streetlights and the building behind them. surely this can't be too subtle

Wouldn't man-made light in a completely lightless night sky, where light is good and dark is evil, extremely validate nihilism? I think if we're referring to ligotti's pessimism we'd hope to see the light flicker/haze out into the dark, with bright stars looking down instead.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

itt a lot of severely depressed people mad that the cop show didnt validate their narcissistic nihilism

"But think of what True Detective could have been," I cry plaintively to the finger painting of Schopenhauer hanging over my bed

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

disclaimer I've never watched the show, but I think any tv show would be massively improved by including some puppet nonsense

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I mean, the beauty of that unmade X-Files script is that you could swap out Mulder and Scully and drop it into pretty much any TV show for added Puppets.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the elevator pitch to get people to read ligotti?
crazy hermit who wants to have sex with puppets and it makes him sad

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

praxis hypnotist dunks the bourgeoisie in corpse juice

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

To me, the second season absolutely felt like Pizzolato didn't want to keep cribbing off his favorite authors, but couldn't actually produce any work that was up to that same standard without taking ideas wholesale. It was severely disappointing, I think the whole concept had legs but it felt like the team wasn't up to the task of elaborating out what the first season did so well. It was kind of weird to see, honestly.

I never watched the third season as a result, though I hear it's better than the second one, at least?

People say that. I don't know, I liked seasons 2 and 3 equally, I thought they were both fine but had none of the horror of Season 1.

grobbo posted:

I mean, the beauty of that unmade X-Files script is that you could swap out Mulder and Scully and drop it into pretty much any TV show for added Puppets.

There's a version where he remade it with two generic FBI agents, just so it wouldn't have to be the X-Files specifically. Still not even a nibble, though, as far as I know. Makes me wonder if when he finally dies, people will suddenly start strip-mining his corpse like Philip K Dick.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Wouldn't man-made light in a completely lightless night sky, where light is good and dark is evil, extremely validate nihilism?

yes hon

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

What's the elevator pitch to get people to read ligotti?

Crouch furtively in the corner of the elevator. Begin drooling heavily while smiling with your eyes as wide open as possible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tertius Oculum posted:

Oh man, did I miss out on the gang tags???

Nope!

But anyone after this post (of mine, now) did unless they want to buy the tag for themselves. If you requested it before now you should either have it or it should be queued for you.

Please note that the tag is clickable. It is, in a sense, a door.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 11, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hallelujah posted:

crazy hermit who wants to have sex with puppets and it makes him sad
this is my elevator pitch in general, not just to promote ligotti, it's just what i say to people in elevators

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this gang tag goes well with my avatar text

we are all sinners under the woeful eye of ligotti

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Thank you I am merely a vessel.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Nope!

But anyone after this post (of mine, now) did unless they want to buy the tag for themselves. If you requested it before now you should either have it or it should be queued for you.

Should probably be something about Ligotti in the OP besides just his name in that case.

edit: no tag? Am I here, can anyone hear me? :ohdear:

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 11, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Zartosht posted:

Should probably be something about Ligotti in the OP besides just his name in that case

Yeah I'll add a disclaimer comment about the undying goon love for Ligotti when I have a chance. I've been meaning to re-do the OP for a while but I'm too terminally lazy to do a good one right now, I feel like it needs to be much briefer and could use more concise recommendations. I really have no idea what would be most useful for the OP honestly.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ooooh, I like the link!

But, how do we buy gang tags for ourselves? We looked at it earlier and the custom title purchase page now says that image links are not allowed in titles, so no gangtags?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What do you think of Matthew Bartlett?

I drunk-ordered one of his books and I'm digging his style.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

escape artist posted:

Pretty outrageous and funny. I've read a few of his chapbooks and its a unique take on weird horror

While searching the library here for any Ligotti (they have Grimscribe but you can only read it in the archival reading room), I found the following article, the title alone could go into the OP:

Smiles of Oblivion: Demonic Clowns and Doomed Puppets as Fantastic Figures of Absurdity, Chaos, and Misanthropy in the Writings of Thomas Ligotti

I downloaded the PDF for shits and giggles

e. oh god the second paragraph, this is gold

quote:

Drawing upon Mikhail Bakhtin and Francois Rabelais, Jack Morgan in his “Dark Carnival” chapter of The Biology of Horror emphasizes how “laughter is worked by the horror imagination for its own antithetical purposes” (139). Just as the maniacal laughter of the Joker entails malice, laughter in horror literature tends toward entropy: the frenzied fragmentation of personality into the spaces of madness and death. Literary horror has explored the clown's ability to dismantle conventional truths. The horrific clown exists as a liminal figure—lurking between accustomed categories and undercutting its victims’ sense of reality. With Thomas Ligotti the evil clown figure assumes its most philosophically and psychologically devastating guise. The clown in Ligotti is not simply a marker of reversals, disorder, and chaos in the universe but rather exemplifies the fragmenting dynamic of Ligotti's misanthropic metaphysics where entropic madness disintegrates rational identity. The subversion of the rational is manifest with clown figures generically because of their defiance of pretensions to order and understanding. In Ligotti's narratives of clowning horror these apocalyptic jesters as well as doomed puppets display a malignancy that is dehumanizing and anti‐anthrocentric. In the exploration of Ligotti's demonic clowns an analysis of the tendencies of his corporate horror is also relevant because the annihilating nonsense of the clowns is the other side of the coin of the mysteriously ordered conspiratorial corporate horror of inescapable punishment, injustice, and hierarchical oppression. These seem to be contradictory models of malign order and malign disorder: organized conspiratorial malignancy and chaotic random nonsense, but in fact they are both systems of Ligottian anti‐anthrocentrism because they attack the integrity of the human mind and spirit. This anti‐anthrocentrism is also manifest in Ligotti's writing style which clowns the reader by subverting narrative expectations of a stable setting. Ligotti's “The Last Feast of Harlequin,” “The Clown Puppet,” and “The Bells Will Sound Forever,” evoke aggressive humor and outright horror where the clown‐figure not only signals carnivalesque fantastic reversals but also acts as a misanthropic metaphor for the universal degradation of humanity.2

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zartosht posted:

Should probably be something about Ligotti in the OP besides just his name in that case.

edit: no tag? Am I here, can anyone hear me? :ohdear:

Sorry I missed you, you're queued, just pending admin approval and you'll have it.

Skyscraper posted:

Ooooh, I like the link!

But, how do we buy gang tags for ourselves? We looked at it earlier and the custom title purchase page now says that image links are not allowed in titles, so no gangtags?

Either buy yourself a title with this text added:
code:
[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856663]
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/vdark.png[/img][/url]
or just add the
code:
 [img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/vdark.png[/img][/url]
to your title, let me know, you've bought it, and I'll add the link manually.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 12, 2020

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

COOL CORN posted:

Imagine the pessimistic societal insignificance of Kafka mixed with the cosmic horrific insignificance of Lovecraft. Ligotti turns this on his audience, causing them to grapple with the brutal reality that they are living a meaningless nightmare, and anyone who feels otherwise is simply acting out an optimistic fallacy.

I've read a lot of horror, and Ligotti's the only author who's made me uncomfortable with my very existence.

Also spooky puppets

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It was Barron. Barron was the Alaskan not Ligotti. Also I somehow thought ligotti was the guy who wrote procession of the black sloth when it's way different.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Okay so who is reading The Stand to celebrate our coronachan overlord? Seriously though, I actually get pretty bad anxiety about this sort of thing, and reading topical-ish horror about it helps for some reason. What would be some good plague or end-of-the-world horror for our fun timeline?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So after finishing a Collapse of Horses and A Song for the Unraveling of the World, I think that Brian Evenson is pretty great. I have to say I liked Song waaay better than Horses, though.

My issue with Horses is that while the stories all had this pretty eerie feel to them, they all had this vague quality where you are dropped into a scenario with little detail and have to scramble to figure out what’s going on. The first time you encounter this it’s pretty good, but after going through the collection, there are a lot of stories that rely on this setup and it gets old, fast.

The titular story wasn’t bad, it didn’t grip me as much as others, but by the time I wound up at “Click” I found myself skimming a bunch of prose because the story wasn’t going to end up anywhere interesting. Or maybe it did, but I couldn’t tell because there was no way to connect to a lot of people in the stories, nameless protagonists or otherwise.

With Song, you still got a lot of that eerie “something is wrong here” quality but on the whole the stories felt far more anchored, which made me more invested and (feel more dread).

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sorry I missed you, you're queued, just pending admin approval and you'll have it.

Either buy yourself a title with this text added:
code:
[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856663]
[timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/vdark.png[/timg][/url]
or just add the
code:
 [timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/vdark.png[/timg][/url]
to your title, let me know, you've bought it, and I'll add the link manually.

OH, cool, it still works then! Thanks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay so who is reading The Stand to celebrate our coronachan overlord? Seriously though, I actually get pretty bad anxiety about this sort of thing, and reading topical-ish horror about it helps for some reason. What would be some good plague or end-of-the-world horror for our fun timeline?

Mentioned them earlier, but the Infection series is good.

I mean, the last book is called Pandemic, so, you know.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So after finishing a Collapse of Horses and A Song for the Unraveling of the World, I think that Brian Evenson is pretty great. I have to say I liked Song waaay better than Horses, though.

My issue with Horses is that while the stories all had this pretty eerie feel to them, they all had this vague quality where you are dropped into a scenario with little detail and have to scramble to figure out what’s going on. The first time you encounter this it’s pretty good, but after going through the collection, there are a lot of stories that rely on this setup and it gets old, fast.

The titular story wasn’t bad, it didn’t grip me as much as others, but by the time I wound up at “Click” I found myself skimming a bunch of prose because the story wasn’t going to end up anywhere interesting. Or maybe it did, but I couldn’t tell because there was no way to connect to a lot of people in the stories, nameless protagonists or otherwise.

With Song, you still got a lot of that eerie “something is wrong here” quality but on the whole the stories felt far more anchored, which made me more invested and (feel more dread).

His novellas are quite good, with some really funny moments too

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MockingQuantum posted:

The stand is alright but honestly I have no desire to bother reading it again. I feel like King is good at portraying one thing: that precipice where you know you're doing something wrong but you decide to do it anyway. Everything else is kind of like... I don't really care about getting into 70s coke logic or w/e bullshit he's on. A lot of times there's a weird sex vibe or... idk "drug morality" going on.

also mildly disappointed to see the gangtags also have urls. There's no hyperlinks in the real world of perfect blackness where there are no people or anything of that sort.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SniperWoreConverse posted:

also mildly disappointed to see the gangtags also have urls. There's no hyperlinks in the real world of perfect blackness where there are no people or anything of that sort.

The price of free gangtags is that you're now all proseltyzers for this thread / subforum

:capitalism:

Anyway, is there a Ligotti short story in which a dude is driving his [younger female relative] down the highway and they come across a dude eating roadkill? Or is that someone else?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The price of free gangtags is that you're now all proseltyzers for this thread / subforum

It's always good to make sure new people hear the Good Word, by which I mean Thomas Ligotti.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

escape artist posted:

I love Bartlett - The Stay-Awake Men is one of my favorite collections. It looks like a bunch of his stuff is on sale on Kindle now, too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah wanna read that roadkill story

Also I said I was gonna get trashed and listen to current and I have every intention of doing an experimental bad feels deep dive. Should I do this tomorrow or the day after, is the question

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

The White Plague by Frank Herbert is pretty good. Bit dated referentially and doesn't have a lot of on the ground nitty gritty a la No Great Loss or whatever though.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was poking around on amazon, and there's a new horror anthology featuring women authors up for free at the moment:

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Her-Black-Wings-Anthology-ebook/dp/B085N7YF5K

I just grabbed it and haven't read any of it yet, so I can't speak to the quality.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Haven't heard of any of the writers but you can't really go wrong for that price.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've heard of a few. Somer Canon is pretty solid. Conversely, Garza and Lason are pretty bad.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of women authors, any Poppy Z Brite recos?

Read Calcutta, Lord Of Nerves many moons ago and absolutely loved the story.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I read Wormwood a couple years after it came out and I liked it enough to read Lost Souls, which I did not like. That's been maybe 25 years ago now and I was an awful teen so take that with as much salt as you think appropriate.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Read Calcutta, Lord Of Nerves many moons ago and absolutely loved the story.

Poppy came out as trans and now identifies as Billy Martin.

He only wrote three horror novels (four, if you count The Crow tie-in novel) and a few short story collections.

Lost Souls was his first novel, which is about vampires (that aren't like other vampires). I liked it as a dumb teen, but haven't re-read it in years.

Drawing Blood is a haunted house novel that's also a gay romance. Probably my favorite, even if the internet stuff in it dates it.

Exquisite Corpse is about two serial killers meeting and falling in love. One of them is a cannibal. On the short side, but good.

I don't remember The Crow tie-in novel that well, other than it not being great.

Of the short story collections I've read, I prefer Wormwood over Are You Loathsome Tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I also remember liking Wormwood, but like everyone here, I read it in like 95 when I was a teenager.