Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Long Beach Grand Prix cancelled. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’m going ahead and starting the mental prep to argue with my hotel about a refund once the Barber cancellation inevitably happens.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Space Racist posted:

I’m going ahead and starting the mental prep to argue with my hotel about a refund once the Barber cancellation inevitably happens.

Cancel now. If the race somehow still happens, rebook when everything is way cheaper.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh. I'm going to laugh / cry if the first time my annual trip to Indy gets hosed is because of this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Straight up i was only looking forward to two things this year: Long Beach (as always), and my first 500 in 28 years. And not even that many boomers are dying yet! This sucks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1238488438288121857

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:(

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Welp.

Right thing to do, but still hard not to be disappointed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/By_NathanBrown/status/1238519984596439041

45 year streak over :(

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, street races won't happen again this year. It's why Formula E is so hosed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Long Beach is hard because delaying that build-up of the course is basically impossible. Races at existing road courses should be easier. At least there's a few weekends in July and August that might get freed up soon too :v:

wonder if they're going to call up Watkins Glen again to replace a canceled event. Watkins Glen: IndyCar's Permanent Booty Call.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

harperdc posted:

Long Beach is hard because delaying that build-up of the course is basically impossible.

Long Beach is extra-difficult because of the convention center and arena in the middle of the track. Even if you can close down the streets for a weekend, you can't block access to the venues for the other events that may be taking place there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Long Beach is extra-difficult because of the convention center and arena in the middle of the track. Even if you can close down the streets for a weekend, you can't block access to the venues for the other events that may be taking place there.

I thought they used the convention center as a paddock for the weekend? So moving another event out that weekend is even more impossible.

I just thought from the street circuit build-out point of view, it’s a month-plus period of time to get all the barriers, fences, and seating ready for the LBGP.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The convention center houses pretty much everything that isn't Indycar or IMSA. All the support paddocks, the vendors, the expo. It's also a crucial go-between for spectators to get from one end of the track to the other.

The streets can be closed whenever, and you could put the other paddocks elsewhere if push came to shove. But without being able to take over the convention center the race can't happen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Since there's no actual racing today, WindyMan has fired up the Winter Coronavirus Heat channel with a playlist starting once the iRacing celebrity race broadcast is over. Come hang shortly for NASCAR K&N from Road Atlanta, SCCA Trans-Am from St. Pete, and more:

https://cytu.be/r/SASCARWinterHeat

We're also considering goonwatching racing from each week's intended venue until racing resumes. I know IndyCar didn't have anything next week, but maybe we could dig up old Long Beach GPs.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1240341424614395906

RIP Cygni, better luck next year

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dogshit!!! i cant wait to deal with like 5 different travel sites to cancel all my Indy 500 poo poo soon

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The only time the five hundo has ever been cancelled is due to war, right? Like outright no month of May or nothing

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

yeah, to my knowledge

I'd imagine the 500 would be postponed at worst. Not like they can't reschedule IMS for whenever unless this poo poo gets even worse in the summer. it will :suicide:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

hunnert car pileup posted:

I'd imagine the 500 would be postponed at worst. Not like they can't reschedule IMS for whenever unless this poo poo gets even worse in the summer. it will :suicide:

Nighttime Indy 500 time :cool:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Speaking of the 500…

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1240776933010440196

It's a nice article about Mario. He's doing fine, he's healthy, he can't wait to jump back into the 2-seater.

Aldo is doing alright, too. :unsmith:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hopefully Roger Penske is still alive by September.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

It's a nice article about Mario. He's doing fine, he's healthy, he can't wait to jump back into the 2-seater.

Aldo is doing alright, too. :unsmith:

God it has to be rough for Aldo losing his son (gently caress cancer).

Love that attitude from Mario. He’s an absolute national treasure.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Space Racist posted:

Hopefully Roger Penske is still alive by September.

He'll be fine.

He's rich

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I would be shocked beyond belief if they had any problem rescheduling the Indy 500.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

WindyMan posted:

He'll be fine.

He's rich

And being involved in professional sports is apparently one of the best ways to get access to testing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Miller has a new column up

quote:

But wait. There is a ray of sunshine in this pandemic: it’s the perfect time for a phone call to Robert William Unser.

Never a bad time to get more Uncle Bobby stories.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lol

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Miller has a new column up

Never a bad time to get more Uncle Bobby stories.

In case anyone here hasn't listened to it yet, Marshall Pruett's podcast with Uncle Bobby is a must-listen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

In case anyone here hasn't listened to it yet, Marshall Pruett's podcast with Uncle Bobby is a must-listen.

Both Pruett’s discussions and also the Dinner with Racers episode with Uncle Bobby are absolutely priceless. Uncle Bobby is a treasure.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Field for the iRacing event:

https://racer.com/2020/03/26/entries-set-for-indycar-iracing-challenge-opener/

So the full field with these changes:

Out:

kimball (replaced by seabass)
RHR (replaced by Kirkwood)
Marco (replaced by Speed)
Chilton
Dixon
Veekay
Sato

Extra:

Kellet
Hinch
Kaiser
McLaughlin

Apparently are 2 more coming too.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Indycar 2020: Month Of August doesn't have the same ring to it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it Maugust yet?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well, can’t say it isn’t expected.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This is awesome, they’re gonna run a double header for INDYCAR/xfinity on the road course, I’m there.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1243223698519326720

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Cygni posted:

Field for the iRacing event:

https://racer.com/2020/03/26/entries-set-for-indycar-iracing-challenge-opener/

So the full field with these changes:

Out:

kimball (replaced by seabass)
RHR (replaced by Kirkwood)
Marco (replaced by Speed)
Chilton
Dixon
Veekay
Sato

Extra:

Kellet
Hinch
Kaiser
McLaughlin

Apparently are 2 more coming too.

Scott Speed must not be suspended from iRacing anymore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

New season sched... for now:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

New season sched... for now:

There's no way Detroit is happening in May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

your friend wicka posted:

There's no way Detroit is happening in May.

Doublehead it with Toronto, and do some Cannonball Run poo poo down the 401.