Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MASH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i watched inside llewyn davis. that's niennunb's favorite movie. it's not my favorite movie but i do adore it a great deal. now i'll watch something else cause i'm still very sick

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New/current: Letterkenny

All-time: KITH, Mr.Show, Daria, Futurama, Golden age Simpsons

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i dont watch tv sorry. not as an act of defiance or anything

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

steve brule tbh but there's no reason to even bring it up. like pickle rick and stuff of that nature

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I love Llewyn Davis so much I bought the book it was based on (Mayor of McDougal Street by Dave Van Ronk). I should read that soon. I'm happy you like the movie too, it's real special to me.

To answer my own question: Review w/ Forrest MacNeil, Nathan For You, Late Show-era Conan, Mr. Show, I Think You Should Leave, 30 Rock, Always Sunny, King of the Hill, if I keep going I'm gonna have like 50 so I'll stop. Taxi. Larry Sanders.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

king of the hill, its always sunny, and trailer park boys are all-time favorites for me. a more recent one is critical role.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

King of the Hill, Scrubs, It's Always Sunny

Freaks and Geeks is like 45% comedy, 55% drama and my favorite of all time probably

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Arrested Development and Venture Bros. I though VB jumped the shark about midway season 4 and bounced off of it but then I caught the 3 1/2 seasons I missed while I was up for 30 straight hours for no reason and no it did not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

King of the Hill, Scrubs, It's Always Sunny

Freaks and Geeks is like 45% comedy, 55% drama and my favorite of all time probably

I love Scrubs too. My friends mom was in med school when we were in high school and said that show is weirdly accurate.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Sanford and Son is the only good sitcom.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Venture Brother is such a good show that I can understand the length in time between seasons if it means that the quality of the episodes stay the same.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Forgot about Venture Brothers. Adore that show.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Review w/ Forrest MacNeil, Nathan For You

yeah

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ohyea i watched nathan for you. i dont watch tv unless its a show i watched and really loved lol. nathan fielder is so loving funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Doctor Who, it's been my favorite show since I was a tiny lil' Jerusalem.

This year was rough, but the wonderful thing about Doctor Who is that eventually everything gets better again :unsmith:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm the guy who says something is my favorite show and then i don't remember it at all and would never think to bring it up like 2 years later until someone else says it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Michael Schur shows are all up there. The Good Place is a masterpiece and I need to give it a watch through now that it's done.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I love Doctor Who, it's been my favorite show since I was a tiny lil' Jerusalem.

This year was rough, but the wonderful thing about Doctor Who is that eventually everything gets better again :unsmith:

How has the new doctor been? I haven't been able to watch the last 2 seasons but I was rooting for her

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

WatermelonGun posted:

Sanford and Son is the only good sitcom.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Doctor Goo

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

watching starshit poopers

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That film is liable to put you into a "start poo poo stupor"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shard posted:

How has the new doctor been? I haven't been able to watch the last 2 seasons but I was rooting for her

Jodie Whittaker is fantastic and the regular supporting cast have been very good, with Mandip Gill getting the short end of the stick in terms of any characterization. The show LOOKS fantastic, the lighting and framing and sound has all been top notch, with the first season being somewhat let down by some odd, often weirdly novice-level editing mistakes.

The problem is the writing, unfortunately. The showrunner never wrote anything standout when he worked under RTD and Moffat, and while he's written some of the best Who stuff he's ever done since taking over, even that rarely rises above the level of pretty good. The first season very deliberately took a "no big long season arcs, just a series of barely related stories in a variety of genres" and the result was a mixed bag (It Takes You Away, however, is genuinely a great episode) that seemed more interested in making the point that human beings are often their own worst enemies.

The second season fully embraced the idea of a big season arc which lead to no standout episodes in their own right but a series of really bonkers moments that generated a ton of discussion/interest... but Chibnall completely tanked the landing when he disappeared up continuity-rear end and "fixed" a "problem" from a decades old story that 99% of fans either hadn't seen or largely ignored because one brief moment of it didn't make any sense. Instead he (appears to have) upended the entire nature of the central character to no good purpose (the Doctor literally says in the finale that none of it makes any sense and also that it makes no difference at all) and left a bad taste in a ton of people's mouths... which unfortunately the usual misogynist/racist assholes have jumped on to try and lump all the critics in together with their lovely, bullshit complaints about "SJW agenda gone mad".

Basically the showrunner pumped out something of bad fanfiction level quality to stamp his mark on the history of the show (to be fair, I'm sure there are plenty of fans who actually did like it, or just don't care one way or the other at all), and it's done a disservice to the very good cast and crew and particularly Whittaker who, for every other fault the show might have, has been great as the title character. It's probably all a misdirect for the climax of the next season, but if so it's created a lot of ill-will for no benefit, especially since it's likely to be a year or more before we actually see the new season and get any answers to the questions raised.

Anyways, I'm mad about Doctor Who online, and that makes me feel silly, because the show has done dumb stuff like this before and it either gets filtered out, contradicted or outright ignored not long after, and this probably won't be any different.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 13, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a lot of people have tattoos from that show. I've never seen any of it except for one scene where one of the doctors tells people to be good or something like that while he's dying or whatever is happening when one of them goes away. It was a little goofysappy but charming. Probably a nice thing to watch some times.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Classic Doctor Who has bad/dumb stuff in it but at least it had that low-budget charm to it. New Doctor Who has bad/dumb stuff in it but because it has such high production values, it looks like every other boring thing with good SFX.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
My favorite comedies are IASIP, Parks and Rec, and Venture Bros. I think.

yea ok posted:

There’s a story I read about how one of the actors asked Verrhoven why he was making such a fascist film and he said something like, “Yes, everything is beautiful and cool and shiny, but all it’s good for is killing loving bugs!”

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I will personally waterboard Steven Moffat

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Two people in my county have tested positive for COVID-19. They're in isolation, and my parents and I have been isolated (sans like a couple grocery trips) for the better part of a week. I was trying to be positive and say we'd be safe because yeah it's very contagious with contact but it's a county of 400k people with only two cases so far and whatever and my dad was all but telling me WELL WE MIGHT NOT BE ENTIRELY SAFE, WE DON'T KNOW.

He knows I have anxiety issues, it's like what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I was never a Dr Who kid MST3K till I die

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Two people in my county have tested positive for COVID-19. They're in isolation, and my parents and I have been isolated (sans like a couple grocery trips) for the better part of a week. I was trying to be positive and say we'd be safe because yeah it's very contagious with contact but it's a county of 400k people with only two cases so far and whatever and my dad was all but telling me WELL WE MIGHT NOT BE ENTIRELY SAFE, WE DON'T KNOW.

He knows I have anxiety issues, it's like what the gently caress is wrong with you.

going to whoop your dad. sorry

btw how does Party Down hold up? I haven't seen it since the original airing

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 13, 2020

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I was never a Dr Who kid MST3K till I die

MST3K is awesome too :)

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i’ve never seen dr who, but i tried to flirt with a person with a tardis (hehe) tattoo and was treated to a very long, very boring lecture on several dozen seasons of that show and it sounds pretty stupid

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

WatermelonGun posted:

i’ve never seen dr who, but i tried to flirt with a person with a tardis (hehe) tattoo and was treated to a very long, very boring lecture on several dozen seasons of that show and it sounds pretty stupid

lmao you hosed up even harder than when I asked a girl about her tattoo not knowing it was from Homestuck

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Peep Show is my all-time favorite. Highly recommend if you're into awkward British comedy that becomes so absurd that it loses its awkwardness.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thought of a joke. a woman goes into a bank to get a loan. but there are people in there so she goes somewhere else. you have to only say this joke with your voice instead of reading it. I'm sorry

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Current - Doctor Who, AEW Dynamite, Impractical Jokers, Castle Rock, IASIP

2000 - Recent - Parks and Recreation, Battlestar Galactica, Coupling (Seasons 1-3), 30 Rock

Classic - M*A*S*H, Night Court, Cheers, Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, Darkwing Duck, Laugh-In

Really Classic - The Jack Benny Program, Dragnet, Lights Out, Inner Sanctum

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cavauro posted:

going to whoop your dad. sorry

btw how does Party Down hold up? I haven't seen it since the original airing

It's good

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yea ok posted:

The film manages to be dumber than the book, and given the material, that is super impressive. Heinlein was a right wing lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Starship Troopers kicks rear end and is explicitly supposed to make the source material look dumb